Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #18031
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Other issues with camping include scorpions, centipedes, rattlesnakes, killer bees, cacti and lots of other type of spiny or prickly plants, garbage, packs of stray dogs, cow and goat shit, security (drunken hillbillies). It's hot in Mexico a lot of the time.
Buzzkill!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #18032
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
House rental in Mexico...AirBNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Anyone have recommendations...

Queretaro
Puebla
Oaxaca
Patzcuaro
Merida
All those towns sound like a great time. Depends on how relaxing you want the place to be. I came across an interesting site called airbnb. You put in the city you want to stay in and people rent out houses, rooms, apartments...whatever they have. Kind of an interesting idea. Each property has it's own location and ammenities. Check it out. I found a cool house for rent near Patzcuaro. There is a small lake just to the south called Lake Zirahuen. We are going to be in Leon for two weeks during Christmas and we were thinking about renting it. There are houses or apartments to rent in all of those cities. Check it out.
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #18033
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
All those towns sound like a great time. Depends on how relaxing you want the place to be. I came across an interesting site called airbnb. You put in the city you want to stay in and people rent out houses, rooms, apartments...whatever they have. Kind of an interesting idea. Each property has it's own location and ammenities. Check it out. I found a cool house for rent near Patzcuaro. There is a small lake just to the south called Lake Zirahuen. We are going to be in Leon for two weeks during Christmas and we were thinking about renting it. There are houses or apartments to rent in all of those cities. Check it out.
Merida? Why not San Cristobal or Tuxtla Guiterrez in Chiapas, instead?
Merida is as hot, humid, and buggy as Veracruz, except you have to ride farther to get to any decent mountain roads.

Puebla is an amazingly motorcycle oriented city. Their repuation as clueless drivers is not well founded, they are more bike aware there, at least that is what I have found.

Crangeguy will tell you that Cuernavaca is a decent place. I think Lance will vouch for that, too.

But why choose cities of those sizes? Take a good look at Cordoba or Orizaba. You have some of the best riding in Mexico right on your door step both on and off road. Excellent food, some pretty good coffee that no place on the Pacific can even come close to. Fairly low prices, laid back, big enough to keep you entertained, small enough to keep things cheap.
Located between Oaxaca, Puebla, and Veracruz. Excellent riding in 3 directions from wherever you are (north, west, south). Xalapa is also good, but has a lot of traffic problems, but if you like to ride, get a small bike for city duty. It's a fairly liberal university oriented city, but think more like Athens, Georgia than Austin, Texas.

Add Cordoba/Orizaba to the list, you've got mountains or beach, jungle and high plain semi-desert, ruins, history, haciendas, etc...all easily within your reach. Fewer gringos than on the Pacific side, too. One of the better kept secrets in motorcycling in Mexico. The guys from Cordoba/Orizaba, Huatusco, and Puebla are pretty good riders, some great "old school" guys around those parts.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #18034
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Wise words SR!

On the upside, if you sleep behind a dumpster the feral cats will keep the rats from gnawing on your touratech toe warmers.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
SR, Thanks for your advice, will heed.
Much appreciated and thought out.

Crane, My bike and gear combined doesn't cost as much as anything in the
1" thick Touratech catalog. Smaller than Harleys though. Yikes!!
Also, thanks to all who have posted on these sites, lots of great in info
as I know nothing about Mexico except what I read in the paper.
OOPS, I better stay home. NOT!!

Some who wander, always get lost.

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic

heirhead screwed with this post 10-28-2013 at 08:34 AM
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #18035
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Buzzkill!
Sorry, Now I'm looking forward to Triceplots roadside BMW camping guide to Mexico Ride Report. Hotels with less than 3 stars don't count as camping!!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #18036
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sorry, Now I'm looking forward to Triceplots roadside BMW camping guide to Mexico Ride Report. Hotels with less than 3 stars don't count as camping!!
The exception to that is any hotel without a toilet seat.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #18037
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
Re: feral cats keeping the rats at the Pemex dumpster in line...
Yeah , but what if Garfield decides to put his territorial " marker " on
you and the tent . ?
I got " marked " once by a German Shepard ( a DOG !) while camping in an official
campground in Oz .Woke me up right away, thought it was warm rain ..
but saw Rover stepping away Aaaarrrghh.....ran for the shower! Lucky that dog " marker" doesn't reek as strong or as long as Garfield's

And you don't really need super strong aftermarket lights on the bike to find a hotel... simply begin looking for one earlier when you still have daylight . :wink
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #18038
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

Nearest town to a rather bizarre UFO tale. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyame_UFO_incident
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #18039
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Nearest town to a rather bizarre UFO tale. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyame_UFO_incident
True story: After passing through Coyame and stopping at Peguis Canyon, I was sent to secondary inspection at the Ojinaga/Presidio crossing once for setting off the radioactivity detector.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #18040
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post

Wiretapping the phones of the national leaders of some of our closest allies was also a very smooth move. What arrogance, what hubris...what a bad joke.

We have been doing it for decades. Probably in one form or another since the invention of the telephone. And US facilities have been routinely bugged in some really benign places and the suspects have been our best allies.

Plus, there was always plausible deniability. Doesn't mean that it's right, just means that no one got caught. The Europeans buy listening devices from the Russians. The Russians buy from the USA. We buy from the Chinese. The Chinese buy from the French. If a device is found everyone used to blame rouge Israeli agents.

I think about the funniest spy episode that I can remember during the day when I worked for The Bomb Company was when the Swedes complained that someone was spying on their harbors and shallow offshore waters. Both the US and the Soviets denied it. Then the Swedes released some photos that showed some strange markings on the sea floor and it kinda left folks scratching their heads.

A year or two later and some Swedish fisherman went out in a heavy fog early in the morning and practically ran into a full-sized Soviet submarine that had managed to get itself stuck. After the Swedes kept it there for a few days it turned out that the Soviets were operating some sort of submarine that had caterpillar tracks on it's bottom and crawled along the sea floor collecting data.

Like I said, doesn't make it right. It would be interesting to know what the Feds found out about President Fox's thoughts on the drug wars, however.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:29 PM   #18041
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
We have a plan to kidnap Sjoerd and make him stay at every Camino Real in Mexico
Old 10-28-2013, 02:31 PM   #18042
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
True story: After passing through Coyame and stopping at Peguis Canyon, I was sent to secondary inspection at the Ojinaga/Presidio crossing once for setting off the radioactivity detector.

Glowing in the dark too?

I'll bite. What caused it?

I have heard that a few times. Was it you or someone else that said that they got stopped and their friends came to their rescue and said that the person was undergoing some sort of radiation therapy?
Old 10-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #18043
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

That was me. I had had a heart scan a while before the ride and the remains of the isotope set off the scanner. The border guy said that the detector could pick up the luminescence in watches if they dialed it in.

Or, the radiation from the UFO crash did it when I passed through there......
Old 10-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #18044
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
"...at some 4,000kmh headed towards Corpus Christi, Texas."

UFO? No. That was the guy who was riding his GS two up with his old lady while being chased by narcos shooting at him most of the way through Tamaulipas.
Anybody else remember that Roswell incident of the "Is Mexico Safe" thread?

I think it took place near Coger Mi, Tamaulipas.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #18045
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Eavesdropping

TC and PJ my MOS was electronic warfare officer. You are not telling me anything I don't know but it still sucks that we are in store for a good ass f'ing by the world community over this one. Pena Nieto is pissed and Senor Slim is beyond pissed. We didn't pay his rates. I could tell you some stories but I would have to kill you afterwards.