Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #18166
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
He was posting on FB a day or two ago. Got a big insurance settlement recently so he's probably "invested" it. If I were him I would be in a cantina somewhere for a few days.
If we're talking about the same guy, this deserves further investigation!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #18167
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I ask the front desk for 3 plastic keys and put them in 3 different pockets with the hope that at least one will work by the time I come back to the room.
Only a field geologist wears clothing with that many pockets!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #18168
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Only a field geologist wears clothing with that many pockets!

I got lots of pockets. I also cary a magnet and sometimes magnetite. Maybe that effects my hotel keys, but I suspect it is my Blacberry that kills the keys, that is why I put them in a few different pockets.

BTW no matter how dull and worn out it may be, a rock hammer will never make as carry on past airport security.

The quick route to Chinipas!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:00 AM   #18169
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I think Trice probably had a vest or two like that...and they let him fly planes!

SR, is that some Brunton bling bling around your neck?
I noticed the lack of orange flagging tape and spray can, guess you are the one in charge!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #18170
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158

You guys are hilarious! I can only imagine being on a ride with this motely crew. I'm sure the real Adventure starts when the bikes stop rolling and the stories start building. GOOD STUFF.

I travel pretty often for work in the US and these hotels charge for every single thing they can. Tax for this, that and the other. It only becomes an issue when I'm not on company time. As mentioned earlier, the majority traveler for the big chains are business people who expense it anyway. So they deal with it.

A lot of travelers are using their cell phones as HOT SPOTS now also. Next time you're in a airport or Hotel that charges WiFi, take note to how many hotspots are running.
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:15 AM   #18171
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

SR, that lupa party trick of yours is a good one!

Yes, it was Timmins as a matter of fact, amongst a few other places (USA and northern Ontario). But the Timmins geologists were pretty good, you hardly noticed them, in and out and then we were back to earning the bonus check. Unless, of course, one of the senior ones decided to ask the shift boss to borrow me and sent me off to do sampling in some old stope with bats and bad air.

Senior geologists are kind of like KLR or Gold Wing riders. They are masters of giving you "that look". Kind of like a stare that is a mix between an inquisition and an assessment.

When I worked south of the Coeur d'Alene, I was fascinated by the rock burst monitoring they were doing. That was some serious applied geology at work. It was also the only time I saw a shift boss with chews behind his lips and in his cheek, a cigar in his hand, and he was drinking a large cup of black 2 day old coffee. Just like home!
Old 11-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #18172
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
SR, you look like once of those vatos who confronted us at the Bluarte reaching for his pistol, except they weren't smiling. Its funny, now.
He's smiling because he has a pistol
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #18173
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,429
A joke about geologists:

Two geologists were biking when one said, "Where did you get such a great bike?"

The geologist replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday, minding my own business, when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike, threw it to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want."

The first geologist nodded approvingly and said, "Good choice: The clothes probably wouldn't have fit you anyway."
Old 11-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #18174
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 796
Laugh

Quote:
I watched the first episode last night, beautifully done. It looks like it was filmed in IMAX or some other larger format. Looking forward to episodes 2 and 3.

I'd love to take James Hutton on a motorcycle ride from Laredo to Mazatlan, down to Oaxaca and back. He would be ecstatic!

Props to Hutton for figuring out that the earth is old! 250 years later and some people still don't believe it!
I have already watched the first two episodes and found them fascinating….. Maybe i'm just biased because Scotland is where i was born and spent my first 12 years. I think though, i'm channeling my inner geologist. Unfortunately I could never rock the vest. No pun intended SR.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #18175
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Bluhduh Radio

RMO radio KOTO 91.7 FM KOTO.org Monday 11/11/13 1-3 PM MST. Veterans Day show, also in memory of what would have been my dad's 89th birthday. RIP David F "Elk" Oyster. WW2's youngest Naval Aviation Cadet.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #18176
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,101
Will be "in"
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:31 AM   #18177
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
That wasn't too bad, I thought in the joke I was going to have the lady hold a sheep in place for me so it wouldn't keep running away.
They say that hip waders work well for holding sheep in place. Put 'em on yourself and then drop the sheep's hind legs in there with your legs.

Just saying. And that's just what I hear. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PirateJohn screwed with this post 11-10-2013 at 10:37 AM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #18178
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
RMO radio KOTO 91.7 FM KOTO.org Monday 11/11/13 1-3 PM MST. Veterans Day show, also in memory of what would have been my dad's 89th birthday. RIP David F "Elk" Oyster. WW2's youngest Naval Aviation Cadet.
RMO, was your late father ever featured in a training movie for the US Navy??
Old 11-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #18179
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,503
Quote:

I got lots of pockets. I also cary a magnet and sometimes magnetite. Maybe that effects my hotel keys, but I suspect it is my Blacberry that kills the keys, that is why I put them in a few different pockets.

BTW no matter how dull and worn out it may be, a rock hammer will never make as carry on past airport security.

The quick route to Chinipas!
I used to have one PICA like that one, a geologist frind gave to me very long ago, I used a little bit into the Fresnillo mines (just for fun trying to separate the silver rocks from the ground).

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 11-10-2013 at 05:27 PM
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #18180
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
"Elk" Oyster

Mike Mike,
Dad never mentioned anything about a film. They trotted him around to several parts of the country to promote the V5 program. He was made an honorary member of "Chicago's Own"...not Al Capone's group though.