Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #18346
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
That's great information. I have a Tundra and my brother will be driving a Subaru. Not too flashy.
You'll blend right in Jeff

PS: Your travel name is Ritchie Incognito
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #18347
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
That's great information. I have a Tundra and my brother will be driving a Subaru. Not too flashy. We will stay in with family on the near the main holidays to stay away from "los medio crudos". I did not consider how much traffic would be going North / South during that holiday. That is surely something to consider. I'll make sure we make it to the Colombia crossing before 8 to be first in line.
The traffic going south from the US to Mexico a few days before Christmas can be quite a spectacle. Around the holidays Mexican Customs increase the allowance of merchandise that can be brought in by land. You will see thousands of vehicles loaded up to the gills with merchandise for family back home. We call them Grinch-mobiles, because it looks like the Grinch who stole Christmas!

Getting up earlier than everyone else could be a good strategy but we never do it, not when we are on vacation.

The holiday border crossing actually used to be worse all around than it is now. Back in the early 2000s I remember 3 hour lines around the building for TVIPs. Many factors including the slowdown of the economy, online TVIPs and generally beefed up border facilities have made crossing faster than it used to be.

Coming back to the US is getting better too with a lot of locals getting the FastTrack? permits. Two weeks ago we crossed back to the US at Laredo at about 10:00 at night and there was no line at all. In fact there were multiple Border Patrol booths open and waiting to welcome us back.

If you plan on staying in Laredo, Colombia is pretty far out of the way and the downtown Laredo bridge is right there. It has gotten really easy to get through Laredo, just take the road that goes along the river. In 15 minutes you will be out of Laredo and on the highway.

But don't forget, once you get down there slow down, get some Tamales and Bunuelos. Warm yourself up with some Atole or Ponche bien picada with wiskey or tequillita! After a week or two of that you will come back mas cacheton and ready to get back to work.
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #18348
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale7 View Post
So, is December a good month to ride in Mexico?...or no...
The only bad months in Sonora are the 2nd half of July and August. Hot with monsoon rain and at times high humidity. The thunder storms can be spectacular. It can be cool and even have frost in December, January and February at altitude. Both Bisbee, AZ and Nogales is a mile high and the border area between California and Baja CA norte is high as well and get snow. Same for Yecora and Creel and much of Chihuahua. Electrics and layers will serve you well although you might also see 80 degrees during the day. Farther south is a different story.

Some of the smaller inexpensive hotels don't have heat so make sure they have plenty of blankets in the room when you check in.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #18349
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,125
Quote:
I have a Tundra and my brother will be driving a Subaru. Not too flashy.
LOL!
Those are both expensive vehicles in Mexico.
Maybe if you were driving a couple of old mini-vans burning oil and towing a compact pickup with a couple of appliances in the back, you would attract less attention.

SR is your wife out scoring deals on the "buen fin" como la doctora mia esta haciendo hoy?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #18350
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Some of the smaller inexpensive hotels don't have heat so make sure they have plenty of blankets in the room when you check in.
Which is the reason I always bring a compact sleeping bag
Old 11-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #18351
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
LOL!
Those are both expensive vehicles in Mexico.
Maybe if you were driving a couple of old mini-vans burning oil.........
Also highly coveted vehicles Down South.

Apparently.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:19 AM   #18352
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Trice Not sure why I can't quote you message so I did a copy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshoes
I'm riding down to Banamichi for christmas, and Nuevo Kino for New Years.

Trice posted: I recommend Tom's Hotel Los Arcos de Sonora in Banámichi. Jimmex and I stopped there just a few weeks ago.

Tom's wife Lynn is lovely, and Tom himself is off-the-chart engaging.

Ask him to pour you the house special, his own version of a Michelada:

A tall shot glass that's filled with 1/2 Chiltepin and 1/2 Banacora

Don't test it, just down it. I swear you'll feel like

Trice, thanks for the kind words. Don't know why the 'quote' function is not working for me today.

Lynn says you guys only found me engaging because I was still taking hydocodone.

Noshoes has already been in contact. ADVrs get a discount at our hotel.

Come on down.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #18353
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Make sure Noshoes knows he gets a complimentary "Sonoran Cheerios" breakfast

Old 11-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #18354
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Also highly coveted vehicles Down South.

Apparently.
Yes, coveted by all the wrong people.

Now, Schizz, just for you and just for you today only, I can put you behind the wheel of a 12 year old Chrysler PT Cruiser with a "delicate" transmission and a head gasket that was homemade for a low, low price! You can even keep the three washing machine motors that are in the back and the case of empty XX lager bottles.

It is painted purple and has a one meter square Virgin of Guadalupe decal on the hood and some AutoZone stick on flames. It rivals the Firebird Screaming Chicken hood art that Pontiac traded on so heavily back in the day!

It is so loaded with stealth it could be used as an unmarked vehicle by "the authorities". It is like the Star Trek cloak of invisibility. This thing would ooze incognito, if incognito was oozeable. Maybe it is? Who knows? But I guarantee you this puppy has a shakedown prevention level at the coveted Tampico Transito level. Just sign here and I'll get you the keys.

Score it today before CraneGuy buys it for the missus.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #18355
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

A few slices of banana on top and you are set
Old 11-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #18356
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

I know those little buggers have different names in different parts of Mexico. I think they are actually from NW Mexico (Sonora, Sinaloa). I haven't seen them in the south. Around here they call them chili piquin.

One year we decided to make salsa with them, about the same amount you have in that photo. To add some complexity, we decided to toast them in some oil in a cast iron pan on the stove. When they started smoking, all we could do is turn off the stove and run out of the house. They continued to smoke for a while and we couldn't go back in the house for a couple of hours. The fumes were indescribably strong and toxic and the house smelled for several day afterward. Fun learning experience.

Look at this Jackass!

SR screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 01:17 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:31 PM   #18357
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Yes, coveted by all the wrong people.

Now, Schizz, just for you and just for you today only,................
Heh heh.

The Puerto Ricans at Three Points Automotive here helped me get a solid 320,000 miles out of my '94 Nissan Quest - a favorite in Mexico.

Sooooo, one day the doorbell rings and my ex lets in this big Mexican guy to talk me into selling him the Quest. We quickly reached an agreement after which he informed me he had a buyer waiting for it in Mexico City. I still look for it when I'm down there. Must have passed half a million miles by now. Would be trippy to actually encounter it on the road.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #18358
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
One year we decided to make salsa with them, about the same amount you have in that photo. To add some complexity, we decided to toast them in some oil in a cast iron pan on the stove. When they started smoking, all we could do is turn off the stove and run out of the house. They continued to smoke for a while and we couldn't go back in the house for a couple of hours. The fumes were indescribably strong and toxic and the house smelled for several day afterward. Fun learning experience.

Your video inspired a challenge

I'll pay for any visitor to San Antonio who can conquer the Four Horsemen Burger at Chunky's

It's topped with the reputed hottest around, the Bhut Jolokia

Old 11-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #18359
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Here's that widget Adam Richman giving the Four Horsemen Burger a go:

Old 11-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #18360
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I know those little buggers have different names in different parts of Mexico. I think they are actually from NW Mexico (Sonora, Sinaloa). I haven't seen them in the south. Around here they call them chili piquin.

Look at this Jackass!
Here these are called Chiltepins sometimes called chile tepin as 2 words. There are reputed to be the proto chile, the chile all others are derived from. 100K to 250k Scovilles units. A salsa with tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt and a touch of vinegar is damn fine.

These are hard to cultivate. The process is helped by passing through a bird's digestive system. There is an article on my hotel website at http://www.losarcossonora.com/images...aldoct2010.pdf that explains it all

Turkeycreek screwed with this post 11-18-2013 at 02:15 PM