Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #18391
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I'm not ATTGAT for THAT!!
C'mon, be a sport! A little Hi-Viz, tal vez?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #18392
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Hey HektoG!, is that the same Xoxocotla on the sign that I am thinking of?
Old 11-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #18393
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
The entrance, & the stairway,

Wish I had a go pro. The only way to describe the riding, really. Mexico really has some amazing riding....
Old 11-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #18394
Hektoglider
One with Life

I have to go back there sometime. I was passing through last time and just sampled a bit, enough to "know"

Lots more exploring to do there....
Old 11-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #18395
Hektoglider
One with Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hey HektoG!, is that the same Xoxocotla on the sign that I am thinking of?
10-four.
This is a great thread. Half the time it's informative, then 1/2 entertaining as well as inspiring........
Old 11-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #18396
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Not to mention restrictions, too.
Not even a bike could have navigated the traffic chaos which the indecisiveness of Peña Nieto created, yesterday. The infamous "on again off again" parade also shut down the airport for 2 hours. Chilangos live in hell half the time with protests, marchs, sit downs, plate restrictions, construction, etc...
Nice place to visit for a few days, but with so much excellent riding available, why bother with something that is traffic on steroids? Not to mention what you will be breathing in when a thermal inversion hits or riding in when it floods and the sewers back up.

i was told many times over while living in Mex., you should absolutely 100% go visit the center of Mexico City but take the bus/metro in.

we thought about it, but only had so much time and $ and had many other places on the list to visit 1st. do i want to spend a few nights near the zocalo and take it all in at some point? hell yes.

someone has to know a key hotel that is easy to get to & right at the end of the subway lines? you then can stay for a day or 2 and ride the subway in to the centro. or is that insanity too?
ideally you stay at the end of the blue line, but a line that bisects it would also work.
taking the 15D in from the east and staying near observatorio (#1 purple. either close enough to walk to or a short cab ride to) struck me as efficient.
http://mexico-on-line.com/mexico-cit...l#.Uo5bRCdssqQ

i've visited guadalajara several times by staying in Chapala and taking the bus>taxi in. with other cities i've taken the subway in say at 10am after the am rush and then back out at 8-9pm or so after the eve. rush. anyone done that with Mexico?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 11:26 AM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #18397
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
10-four.
This is a great thread. Half the time it's informative, then 1/2 entertaining as well as inspiring........
I've got a great route lined up for you, again, next time you come through.
A little more on the Puebla side of things with a very interesting botanical museum from an old Canadian lady.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #18398
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Oddometer: 8,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
No we bypassed quota taking the backroad

Some tricky navigation but great riding

On our way to the really good stuff
Way to go, Hekto!! Gotta check out your routing next time.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SkizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #18399
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,883
Public Transportation in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i've visited guadalajara several times by staying in Chapala and taking the bus>taxi in. with other cities i've taken the subway in say at 10am after the am rush and then back out at 8-9pm or so after the eve. rush. anyone done that with Mexico?
This is the smart way to do it

And it works in a number of situations

When I spent a bunch of time in Oaxaca, I left the bike parked at the hotel, and took taxis or a collectivo all over town and the valley. You can go anywhere.

Collectivos are the secret sauce. They're really cheap, and they go everywhere.

+1 on taking the train into the city. I did that in Madrid.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #18400
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,818
Quote:
i was told many times over while living in Mex., you should absolutely 100% go visit the center of Mexico City but take the bus/metro in.

we thought about it, but only had so much time and $ and had many other places on the list to visit 1st. do i want to spend a few nights near the zocalo and take it all in at some point? hell yes.

someone has to know a key hotel that is easy to get to & right at the end of the subway lines? you then can stay for a day or 2 and ride the subway in to the centro. or is that insanity too?
ideally you stay at the end of the blue line, but a line that bisects it would also work.
taking the 15D in from the east and staying near observatorio (#1 purple. either close enough to walk to or a short cab ride to) struck me as efficient.
http://mexico-on-line.com/mexico-cit...l#.Uo5bRCdssqQ

We have always ridden and stayed at the Centro Historico (Holiday Inn) which is pretty easy to find a its the center of everything. Pulling into the grand zocalo during the holidays with all the people about makes my hair stand up. So exciting...Leaving town can be a little tricky. I would not trade my experiences riding in DF and my intrepid GF would not either. The masses of humanity are unbelievable.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #18401
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
DF > Desmadre Fuerte
or as is said here in Mx

DF = DeFecados

It really worths to visit DF but without a bike. take the Turibus, http://www.turibus.com.mx/ it has different interesting routes, you can go off and on from the bus the whole day at any interesting point you like and pickup another turibus at no additional cost, etc.
is the faster way to know the essentials. So leave the bike in Toluca in a gated garage, take a bus to DF, stay for three days to know the must, go back and keep on riding.
do not miss downtown, once there you will understand why was batized as "La Ciudad de Los Palacios" back in XIX century.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #18402
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
The masses of humanity are unbelievable.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #18403
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
or as is said here in Mx

DF = Los DeFecados
added

A motorcycle gang you do not want to mess with
Old 11-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #18404
motoroberto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
"someone has to know a key hotel that is easy to get to & right at the end of the subway lines? you then can stay for a day or 2 and ride the subway in to the centro. or is that insanity too?

ideally you stay at the end of the blue line, but a line that bisects it would also work."

I stayed at the Ramada Via Veneto which is across the street from the Ermita stop on the blue line. I believe it's on the border of Benito Juarez/Coyoacan. It's 9 stops from the Zocalo.

Also was walking distance to the Churubusco museum and Frida Kahlo's house. They have a small parking lot that always has an armed guard.

Brooklyn to Puerto Escondido, MX:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=931315
motoroberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #18405
stormdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
or take the coastal road and check out Puerto Penasco for a day or 2.
then there looks like a sweet paved road from magdalena to sinoquipe along the rio sonora.
I have been through Rocky Point a couple of times. But the route from Magdalena to Banamichi is in my plans.
It might be just me but Puerto Penasco kind of creeps me out .It kind of reminds me of the worst of both sides of the border.
stormdog is offline   Reply With Quote