User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #18451
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,734
Trice,
I agree with you regarding the practicality of a sleeping bag. However, basic good housekeeping shouldn't be a hard hill to climb for someone who claims to be in the lodging or hospitality business.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #18452
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I cant wait to tell them that! :)
You might remember they gave me the nicer room. Trice remembers, I'll bet.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #18453
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Oooops, I lied.

At Tom and Lynn's Hotel Los Arcos de Sonora in Banámichi, that bed was so perfect I didn't even think of a sleeping bag.
Was there a PM involved here?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 11-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #18454
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I cant wait to tell them that! :)
You know the old joke:

Me: "For the view of the old Veracruz Harbor from my corner room, I would have paid you twice what you charged me"

Manager, Hotel Emporio: "If you had just pressed the issue at all, we would have charged you half the rate"

I will say this: the Emporio was MikeMike's suggestion - and I loved every second of that room and the view of the harbor in Veracruz.

When I entered my room, the blinds were closed.

As I drew open the blinds, my breath was sucked from my lungs as there was nothing between me and my window but a street, then docked in front of me, on the bay, in front of my eyes, was the biggest cargo ship I've ever seen - spanning the width of my window. I mean, you could throw a softball and hit it. It was huge.

That ship, the activity around it, it's lights, the cranes, the shipping containers on it that seemed as close as a bus, the night street scene below....it was stunning. It was vibrant, IMax-esque, delicious, and engraved in my memory for the ages.

So yes, Mike, I'm a big fan of the Emporio. I might not need to stay there to get the harbor views, but to do it that one time based upon your suggestion, etched a memory for a lifetime.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #18455
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Trice,
I agree with you regarding the practicality of a sleeping bag. However, basic good housekeeping shouldn't be a hard hill to climb for someone who claims to be in the lodging or hospitality business.
Den, for the sake of the discussion, I agree with you 100%.

For the sake of practicality, for the space of a very small pumpkin, I can take my micro-environment with me, and trump "failure of good housekeeping", however you want to define that, in Mexico, the US, Canada, or wherever.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #18456
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
You might remember they gave me the nicer room. Trice remembers, I'll bet.

Well, that room you had and that view, trumped my view of the cargo ship.

In fact, I think I have photos somewhere in my archives.....

We both had corner rooms on the harbor side. In Veracruz on a clear night, busy harbor, vibrant downtown, breakfast with MikeMike at the hotel.

I remember the hotel being much less occupied than one would think it could succeed...and the wish that no matter what it takes, that the hotel would survive.

Those of you who have been in fairly empty hotels in Mexico know what I mean.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:08 PM   #18457
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,232
All this chatter is making me want to hit the road, Joaquin.

jimmex screwed with this post 11-23-2013 at 08:28 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #18458
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Warmer climes.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #18459
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Dennis:

Best "hotel" I've ever stayed in in Mexico was the cabin SR scored for us on the DGO - MAZ off-route ride.

We each had our own room (made of plywood), but on each bed were mice droppings.
That was mouse shit! I thought it was little chocolates left by the maid during turndown service. I'm very upset and confused. I need some time to process this!
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:13 PM   #18460
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
That was mouse shit! I thought it was little chocolates left by the maid during turndown service. I'm very upset and confused. I need some time to process this!
I'm thinking it's already processed by now.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #18461
Road Dust
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
SR,

Sorry to take so long to respond but I am just now catching up on reading the message boards.

Most of our riders would have been on the DGO-MAZ highway between 8:00 pm and 4:00 am. Part of the ride is doing the Devil's Backbone at night.

The riders reported rain during most of the day. Some rain, fog and ice on the DGO-MAZ highway.

We sent out 36 riders, 21 finished.

Strom is a great bike to do the ride on. Hope to see you there next year.

Quote:
Road Dust, I was out on the DGO-MAZ highway this morning for a about 100 km and I saw several bikes that looked stragglers from the event. Even a guy sleeping on the side of the road. Some of these bikes looked like home made 500cc hard tail choppers. You should give them extra points for effort. There were patches of ice on the road this morning. That would have been tough at night.

Then late this afternoon I saw a group of about 20 riders on a big mix of bikes ranging from sport bikes to goldwings to BMWs. I assume they were coming back from the event?

When I saw them I thought to my self, I should do the event on the STROM. It sounds like fun. See you there next year. If you come through DGO on the way back give me a shout.

SR
Road Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #18462
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

Capers in the salads were really mouse droppings. That was the beginning of a science fiction movie remake from years ago that escapes me, except that it was pretty good, a remake of a classic, and had Donald Sutherland in it.

Anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:14 AM   #18463
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Old 11-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #18464
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:

Well, that room you had and that view, trumped my view of the cargo ship.

In fact, I think I have photos somewhere in my archives.....

We both had corner rooms on the harbor side. In Veracruz on a clear night, busy harbor, vibrant downtown, breakfast with MikeMike at the hotel.

I remember the hotel being much less occupied than one would think it could succeed...and the wish that no matter what it takes, that the hotel would survive.

Those of you who have been in fairly empty hotels in Mexico know what I mean.
I think the Emporio is still doing ok, they have a lot of corporate business from the port and shipyard because of their proximity. Taking it upscale was a gamble, but they'll probably make some money on it. It's part of a "chain" of hotels in Mexico.

That view of the ship you describe is always an awesome sight. In fact, if you head downtown along the boulevard, slip between the Hotel Mar y Tierra and then pass in front of the Naval hospital and hang a left at the officers club and go two blocks and turn right, you will get that same awesome view when a big car carrier is in port.

You would have loved the view from my old office when I used to teach in the shipyard! Being able to walk around a vessel in dry dock was...interesting By the way, the best view of the port is from the glassed in balcony of the Port Director's office...with a glass of champagne in your hand and a Chinese captain with about 3 decades on the seas telling stories

El bello puerto can still rock with the best of them.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:19 AM   #18465
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
There are several cabins in the mountains of Durango. The whole industry has been helped over the years by the government, which has given low interest loans to the Ejidos to build these rustic style cabins in the mountains to promote rural tourism. I think Chihuahua probably has a similar program and maybe some other states.

These places are great for adventure travelers. They are located in beautiful places, inexpensive, and off the beaten path. They usually don't have a restaurant but come with a kitchen.

Tricepilot and I stayed at Mexiiquillo, which is only a couple kms off the DGO-MAZ highway, by a small town called La Cuidad. Jimmex and I recently stayed at the cabins in Puenticillas, 20 km south of El Salto in a beautiful place.

http://www.durangoturistico.com/sierra.html

BTW this Boletin Turistico website and the publication is produced by our friend Walter Bishop. A fellow rider and adventurer.

http://www.durangocrece.com/comercio...categoria=OTIz

My favorite is the cabins in Vencedores, located about 100 km North of the highway by San Miguel De Cruces. This place is also an active trout farm and will sell you fresh rainbow trout by the kilo.

SR screwed with this post 11-24-2013 at 08:13 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote