User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #18646
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,058
For Trice and the Craneguy

Left before dawn. The old "never ride in the dark in Mexico" rule has Peyronie's Disease from time to time...

Sun up was around 6:30 so it was not to be missed in the habour.

Dawn broke over the Pemex building. It used to be the highest building in Veracruz, for a few decades, and now it doesn't even hold a ranking.

Since I was on my way to pick up a kilo of Mexico's finest from my connection in the sierra, the port was an easy stop. By the way, nothing from Colorado can touch that kilo I scored today, RMO! More on that later...

Will stick with color for a little bit, I now understand why photographers go for the early morning and early evening "golden hours". At least I think I do. The next photo is for Craneguy. Might give him some wood.

Now, back to the business at hand of providing Trice what he was looking for. Here is the infamous Hotel Emporio which is conveniently located right across the street from the malecon boardwalk. I think Schizz and Trice took corner rooms. Wise choice.

We'll get to the monochrome in a moment. Meanwhile, the view from the Emporio goes a little bit like this...

Trice and a few others might remember this guy from the documentary "The Mexican Suitcase". If you haven't seen it yet, try to get a copy or find it on a video service.

Looking to the northwest on the malecon, down to where the tugs are usually docked. I used to work right behind those cranes in background at the shipyard. Started at 6:45am first classes, never appreciated the view as much as I do now.

Now, a little black and white...don't trip on that mooring line.

Just in case Crangeguy feels left out of the B&W stuff...

Trice's ship...

This used to be the lighthouse for the Port of Veracruz, the Venustiano Carranza building. Some day I would like to find where he hid the fortune in Puebla before he permanently "left the building...".

I'll finish with a little street view, I think this is what Trice was looking for.

More later on the mountain riding and what found its way into my tank bag.

Trice, sincere thanks for the suggestion. I had been thinking about heading out to photograph the eastern side of Pico de Orizaba (how cliche LOL!) but your idea was far better! Cool this morning, and some interesting "moments" up in the sierra with the landslides and mud baths.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #18647
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,305
Well done, man

All great pics, and I particularly love that B&W shot of the harbor cranes
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #18648
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,058
Glad you liked them, I'll probably be working up a few more B&W's during the week.
But, oh man, the color, wow, the sunrise was really nice and the pics do not do Mother Nature justice!
I was up around the Andres and Arte stomping grounds in "Greenland" after the port. Woo hoo, big fun with the roads through there, lots of landslides and some nice mudholes. Time to wash the boots and the bike, not bad enough to require laundry service. But there is always next time! LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:15 PM   #18649
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
The panaderia here, largely staffed by Mexicanos, for whom the owner gets H1B1 visas and pays the highest minimum wage in town, is called Baked in Telluride. I am sure he was smiling an illegal smile when he named it that back in the 70's. My next girlfriend is working there, she just doesn't know it yet. Pix when she does.
That's always been a favorite moment for me in relationships. When she first realizes she's in one.

ˇBuena Suerte!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #18650
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
That is one way to do it and it provides some interesting RR posts!
Pics right up until I die
Old 12-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #18651
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
That is one way to do it and it provides some interesting RR posts!
He needs to do it while he's still invincible. At 23 time's running short.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 12-02-2013, 12:04 AM   #18652
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
He needs to do it while he's still invincible. At 23 time's running short.
So Mexico is dangerous?

I read the first 30 pages of this thread and it does nothing but bounce back and forth between, its the lost paradise, to you WILL die. At this point having not gone, I feel like you absolutely have to be careful and keep your wits about you... BUT it probably isn't THAT dangerous.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:41 AM   #18653
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
So Mexico is dangerous?

I read the first 30 pages of this thread and it does nothing but bounce back and forth between, its the lost paradise, to you WILL die. At this point having not gone, I feel like you absolutely have to be careful and keep your wits about you... BUT it probably isn't THAT dangerous.

Read the last 30.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #18654
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
So Mexico is dangerous?
Here's your danger...

But really, it's like most places around the world (and in the states). There will always be someone who will take advantage of a situation if you allow them. But most people are friendly and honest. Travel smart and you shouldn't have any problems. Of course there are no guarantees, and that's the excitement of traveling.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #18655
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
That looks pretty dangerous.

The biggest danger will be when you come back home, and find you need to go back down there again ( & again ) for longer.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #18656
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
So Mexico is dangerous?

It's where I go to get my danger fix.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #18657
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Is Mexico Safe?

Yeah. A fella needs the hair on his neck to stand up with some goosebumps too! Otherwise what kind of a holiday is it? Heh heh

Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #18658
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

My all-time favorite is dancing around an on-coming bus in a turn on the Espinazo del Diablo. Eeeeeeejole!

Old 12-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #18659
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
You meet the most amaziing People!

We returned home last night after wandering around Mexico for two weeks. Absolutely incredible experience! Hospitality, Scenery, food & accommodations!

Two days into our trip the shock decided to puke oil & turn our two-up wee Strom into a bouncystrom. A shout out for a replacement shock, to friends & contacts here on ADV produced a response from fellow inmate SR, in Durango. Steven said he had a stock shock on his '06 wee that he would be willing to part ways with! Our planned route was taking us to Durango anyway, so a meeting was set up & the exchange made. Within 30 minutes of our arrival the replacement was installed!

Thank you SOoooo much SR. Your generosity is greatly appreciated & made the rest of our trip through the beautiful scenic twisty roads a blast!

SR on the right & Tury on the left! Two of the best ambassadors for the ADV Mexico community!

Gracias de nuevo a mi Amigo

Trineo Perro

Sleddog screwed with this post 12-02-2013 at 09:16 AM
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #18660
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
So Mexico is dangerous?

I will find out very soon. Pretty much got everything lined up to hit the pavement next weekend. I had a little change in my departure date from Florida date thanks to my "Just Over Broke" but nothing major. It just makes it that much more enjoyable when I throw the phone in the BOTTOM of the bag before crossing the border.

I took advantage of the online TVIP. They are quick. I received it in 3 days!
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote