Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #18661
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
So Mexico is dangerous?

I read the first 30 pages of this thread and it does nothing but bounce back and forth between, its the lost paradise, to you WILL die. At this point having not gone, I feel like you absolutely have to be careful and keep your wits about you... BUT it probably isn't THAT dangerous.

People tend to be nice and friendly but some of the roads can best be described as "sporty." The conventional wisdom is not to ride after dark. Most dangerous thing that I have ever seen was a sink hole that opened up in the middle of a Reynosa street. That sucker could have swallowed a car, never mind a motorcycle.

Same thing happens in Florida, or so I hear, but I never got paranoid about getting sucked into a sink hole when I lived in Florida.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #18662
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Dangers in Mexico

Here's some real wheels on the ground info from yesterday in the sierra between Plan de las Hayas and Alto Lucero. The road has gotten progressively worse over the past few years, I can actually remember when it was pretty good. However, a very wet summer and fall has led to some real problems. Some rebuilding is being done but that has made things worse for the time being.

Here is the rival to the infamous drop off that Arte encountered once in the dark. This is a new one. You approach this small "S" set from good road on both sides but the approach is blind, you then end up on clay with water running over it. The only thing slipperier than that is Sambuca with Baileys or moose guts on a glass door knob. Approaching from good road means you are moving at a fair clip. You can also find the experience can lead to clay like stains if you get it wrong...or worse owing to the drop off with boulders at the bottom just to make things really fun.

It's like dancing on black ice...one slip and you're done.

If you are lucky, you get some "distant early warning" from your built in Spider Sense. Because there were about 20 of these on this stretch, I slowly became aware of the pattern. No place for ADHD.

Then there is the road improvement brigade that decides to narrow everything down to one lane and put rocks on the new concrete that is perfectly fine for bicycles and motorcycles and horses and cows and sheep and pigs and pedestrians and chupacabras...but instead it looks like this for a long, long way. Blind corners means someone has to decide who has space and decide fairly quick!

Ride the snake, the snake is long.

The truth is, you never know what you will find. I've ridden that road for years, even back before the internet. LOL! Yesterday, it was a real learning experience with two seriously refreshing "teaching moments".
Can't wait to get back!

For real danger, you have the fact that Mexican wildlife inflict some heavy damage...on an unattended stack of pancakes! Meet Mexico's real danger.

Sometimes the beast is known to try its hand at camouflage...

Meet the dog that barked at Bato!

As I've discussed with RMO, riding solo is real solitude, se llama "soledad" en Mexico. When you are alone on roads like that, you get into some real Zen stuff, you focus and it feels really, really good. Not having someone to laugh at you when sliding on clay is surprisingly liberating!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #18663
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
We returned home last night after wandering around Mexico for two weeks. Absolutely incredible experience! Hospitality, Scenery, food & accommodations!

Two days into our trip the shock decided to puke oil & turn our two-up wee Strom into a bouncystrom. A shout out for a replacement shock, to friends & contacts here on ADV produced a response from fellow inmate SR, in Durango. Steven said he had a stock shock on his '06 wee that he would be willing to part ways with! Our planned route was taking us to Durango anyway, so a meeting was set up & the exchange made. Within 30 minutes of our arrival the replacement was installed!

Thank you SOoooo much SR. Your generosity is greatly appreciated & made the rest of our trip through the beautiful scenic twisty roads a blast!

SR on the right & Tury on the left! Two of the best ambassadors for the ADV Mexico community!

Gracias de nuevo a mi Amigo

Trineo Perro
SR, Let me know if you need help getting your new replacement shock "transported." Very gracious to help the Sleddog. Saludos, Jim
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #18664
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
We returned home last night after wandering around Mexico for two weeks. Absolutely incredible experience! Hospitality, Scenery, food & accommodations!

Two days into our trip the shock decided to puke oil & turn our two-up wee Strom into a bouncystrom. A shout out for a replacement shock, to friends & contacts here on ADV produced a response from fellow inmate SR, in Durango. Steven said he had a stock shock on his '06 wee that he would be willing to part ways with! Our planned route was taking us to Durango anyway, so a meeting was set up & the exchange made. Within 30 minutes of our arrival the replacement was installed!

Thank you SOoooo much SR. Your generosity is greatly appreciated & made the rest of our trip through the beautiful scenic twisty roads a blast!

SR on the right & Tury on the left! Two of the best ambassadors for the ADV Mexico community!

Gracias de nuevo a mi Amigo

Trineo Perro
No problemo about the shock. I haven't even had time to ride the bike lately anyway. It was just sitting there, which is a sad shame in these nice Fall riding days. Happy I could help.

Glad you enjoyed the trip and great to meet you'all! I really liked the Minnesota group +Tury's super friendly attitude and great sense of adventure! It seemed like the worse I told them the hotel in Jesus Maria would be, the more they wanted to stay there!

Good trip planning too! IMO, you guys did nearly the perfect NW Mexico curvy road tour, with at least 1,500 kilometers of curves

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
SR, Let me know if you need help getting your new replacement shock "transported." Very gracious to help the Sleddog. Saludos, Jim
Thanks Jim. I have the new shock purchased and it is being brought down by someone on the 22nd. If you are coming down before that let me know and I will get the shock to you and we can go for a ride.

I picked up a brand new Progressive shock with remote pre-load adjustment for a great deal on holiday sale. I cant wait to see what it does for the STROM's handling!

SR screwed with this post 12-02-2013 at 04:47 PM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #18665
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
dwj - Donnie has had an incident in Acayucan on his KTM

LINK

He's looking for ideas in the link
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #18666
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,560
Pilot815, RW66, and myself having dinner here in McAllen today before being told in no uncertain terms that pinching the waitresses was frowned upon.

Oh and I learned someone has a secret involving newly acquired machinery...

Old 12-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #18667
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,098
Now THAT'S a rowdy looking bunch!!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #18668
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Pilot815, RW66, and myself having dinner here in McAllen today before being told in no uncertain terms that pinching the waitresses was frowned upon.

Oh and I learned someone has a secret involving newly acquired machinery...

A new horse will be in my stable soon!

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #18669
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,098
Felicidades, Amigo!!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #18670
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Sweet.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:22 AM   #18671
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
The snake

Nice nod to Jim Morrison in your post MikeMike. Don'cha just love that greasy clay? Lot of fun on fully loaded GS!
Old 12-03-2013, 04:07 AM   #18672
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post

The new horse goes to Mexico after I get to play with it for a couple weeks.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 4
Old 12-03-2013, 04:41 AM   #18673
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Nice nod to Jim Morrison in your post MikeMike. Don'cha just love that greasy clay? Lot of fun on fully loaded GS!
Yes, indeed. Clay and water...from "Oh, yeah" to "Oh sht" in a millesecond!

It is amazing how many Doors songs go through my head while riding.
The older I get, the more I appreciate Jim Morrison and Robert Pirsig.
Learning to listen...and hear.

To our solitude discussion, I would like to add that silence speaks a language of only one verb.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #18674
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Yes, indeed. Clay and water...from "Oh, yeah" to "Oh sht" in a millesecond!

It is amazing how many Doors songs go through my head while riding.
The older I get, the more I appreciate Jim Morrison and Robert Pirsig.
Learning to listen...and hear.

To our solitude discussion, I would like to add that silence speaks a language of only one verb.
One verb would make me very happy !
Old 12-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #18675
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post

I see 3 pipes coming out the bottom. I can't tell for sure, but looks like a 1200 Tiger XC.

I think I mentioned this earlier but I rented one of those this summer for a weekend in Washington state. It was amazing! Extremely fast, nice open ergonomics and good wind protection. The fly by wire throttle took some getting used to but by the end of the weekend I loved it. It makes a very cool sound and will devour Mexican roads like a big plate of tamales!

Felicidades! RW
SR is online now   Reply With Quote