User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #18751
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,746
From Our Guess How Much She Weighs Department

Helge Pedersen's 2013 BMW R1200GS Adventure - How much does it weigh?

See the full weigh-in results on all kinds of adventure bikes here:

LINK
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #18752
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

And remember, later factor in that gas weighs about six pounds a gallon, más o menos
Old 12-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #18753
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
When I went out this morning I had to pick up my new rear brake disc and some other chingadazos at the local BMW "dealer". I threw a leg over one of the new LC Boxers and A-B'd the feel with the new F800. About $6,000 more here for the Boxer but it feels a lot more comfortable than the F800 and will likely hold its value far better. However, I have no idea how BMW could release that bike on the market with the two radiators so totally exposed, with the plastic channeling all kinds of bugs, rocks, and who knows what else, directly onto the rads. They look very exposed. Like Spandau designed in a "nipple slip".
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #18754
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
However, I have no idea how BMW could release that bike on the market with the two radiators so totally exposed, with the plastic channeling all kinds of bugs, rocks, and who knows what else, directly onto the rads. They look very exposed. Like Spandau designed in a "nipple slip".
Have not seen it, but based on these comments, put money on a design tweak by BMW, or a Touratech gadget fix, at minimum.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:55 PM   #18755
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,608
MX200 & El Fuerte Incidents

It's worth stating that both incidents Trice mentions, while verified by several of us here, were essentially avoidable by following known travel wisdom oft-repeated here and other threads/blogs. This is in no way offering criticism of those targeted who were all very experienced travelers.

Over Indios Paul gave a very detailed and riveting account of the MX200 incident where he himself was chased simply because he allowed his gaze to linger on some bad dudes getting into an SUV with AK's. Paul was on an endurance run from TDF - Headhorse and was understandably fatigued when he realized he had drawn their attention. A chase ensued and Paul managed to lose the SUV on MX200. Hard to avoid a wrong place/wrong time/bad luck situation like that but endurance riding brings with it greater risks. The truck hichjacking, by contrast, was likely avoidable by not using a 4WD Crew Cab truck, as has been covered here before.

The El Fuerte incident has also been discussed in detail here and basically involves a group of experienced Mexico riders choosing to explore an area known for highway banditos and amplifying the inherent risks by struggling with land-nav, repeatedly criss-crossing the same route. Something many of us have accumulated some experience with in Mexico. Eventually the group popped up on the radar of some local bad guys who opted to take advantage of the opportunity. Attempting to flee the threat resulted in gun fire. Fortunately everyone got through it OK.

In the last 3 years I've been riding Mexico - a time when many quit due to drug war violence - these are the only two incidents of violence targeting motorcyclists I've been able to confirm. Clearly each incident involves one or more manageable aspects and as such is instructive to us all.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 01:13 PM
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #18756
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

[QUOTE=MikeMike;22933742]What was funny was that that gut burster has more hair than both of us![QUOTE]

You should've stopped while you were ahead.

THAT was definitely NOT funny!!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 12-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #18757
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
I have no idea how BMW could release that bike on the market with the two radiators so totally exposed, with the plastic channeling all kinds of bugs, rocks, and who knows what else, directly onto the rads. They look very exposed. Like Spandau designed in a "nipple slip".
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Have not seen it, but based on these comments, put money on a design tweak by BMW, or a Touratech gadget fix, at minimum.
First thing I noticed after last summer's test ride. The staff at Lone Star all agreed and, sure enough, TT already has radiator guards in their on-line catalogue.

Both GSW and GSW-A weigh in heavier than the oil head versions and carry a little less fuel as well. With improved fuel efficiency BMW touts "similar" endurance numbers. It may be BMW's thinking to let the customer add weight (and expense) to the new gen bikes according to how they'll be used. Don't expect to see many puddles of coolant in Starbucks parking lots.

SchizzMan screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 01:16 PM
Old 12-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #18758
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
When I went out this morning I had to pick up my new rear brake disc and some other chingadazos at the local BMW "dealer". I threw a leg over one of the new LC Boxers and A-B'd the feel with the new F800. About $6,000 more here for the Boxer but it feels a lot more comfortable than the F800 and will likely hold its value far better. However, I have no idea how BMW could release that bike on the market with the two radiators so totally exposed, with the plastic channeling all kinds of bugs, rocks, and who knows what else, directly onto the rads. They look very exposed. Like Spandau designed in a "nipple slip".
BMW knows the majority of those bikes will never see any dirt.

"Will that thing go off road ? ---yeah, probably"

"You goin' off road ?---probably not"
Old 12-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #18759
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
BMW knows the majority of those bikes will never see any dirt.
Without having to debate this - which I can't, I will tell you that on this past March's Ride Around the Bend that Trailboss (Richard) puts on, three of us were working it hard on the sand River Road (westbound) when along comes a huge surprise. A fully loaded GS-A with a guy kicking the backend around like he was on a KTM 500 in Baja. He even wormed through a rock narrows (more deep sand) and when between two huge boulders which he barely cleared, he held up his hand in a wave. Cocky bastard.

Again - your point holds, and this guy is the exception, but I have seen these bike do some amazing off road crap. Yeah there are better bikes for hard core off road blah blah blah, but the point is, BMW does make the bike able to hold up for the rider (rare as he may be) who can run the gauntlet.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #18760
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
First thing I noticed after last summer's test ride. The staff at Lone Star all agreed and, sure enough, TT already has radiator guards in their on-line catalogue.
I'll buy you a beer at Hopdoddy's

Wait! I won
Old 12-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #18761
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Without having to debate this - which I can't, I will tell you that on this past March's Ride Around the Bend that Trailboss (Richard) puts on, three of us were working it hard on the sand River Road (westbound) when along comes a huge surprise. A fully loaded GS-A with a guy kicking the backend around like he was on a KTM 500 in Baja. He even wormed through a rock narrows (more deep sand) and when between two huge boulders which he barely cleared, he held up his hand in a wave. Cocky bastard.

Again - your point holds, and this guy is the exception, but I have seen these bike do some amazing off road crap. Yeah there are better bikes for hard core off road blah blah blah, but the point is, BMW does make the bike able to hold up for the rider (rare as he may be) who can run the gauntlet.
I guess the point was there seem to be some fragile and maybe poorly designed components that may cause some grief. It won't matter how skilled the rider.......
Old 12-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #18762
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

You must be talking about my now-sold '09 KLR, for which I poured more money into it to make it survive off-road than the bike cost new. Sort of.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:53 PM   #18763
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Sometimes I think the best ride would be a burro or a mule. Wouldn't be fast, but generally reliable.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #18764
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
I guess the point was there seem to be some fragile and maybe poorly designed components that may cause some grief. It won't matter how skilled the rider.......
While many consider the FD the Achille's Heel of the GS/GSA I consider that to be the dry clutch which is now a wet clutch on the WasserNoggins. With an upgraded bash plate and radiator guards the bike holds up very well by my experience. Of course, the more stuff you bolt on the more stuff to break off.

Buddy of mine "detoured" off a gravel road during the recent RTB rally and managed to flip his GSA over a 3 strand "bobbed war" fence. A little tape, a bit of bailing wire, some zip ties (and a bucket of luck) and he was good to go. These are really very sturdy machines as my "gently used" '12 GSA will attest.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #18765
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Sometimes I think the best ride would be a burro or a mule. Wouldn't be fast, but generally reliable.
Trice's horse threw two shoes riding the Big Bend area in 2012 (or was it 2011?). Hard to pack a farrier along on a ride.