Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #19006
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
TVIP cancellation

TVIP cancellation in case of loss.

I asked Chris to speak to this issue. He said some of the insurers will help in the process, some more than others. At the least they would point you in the right direction.

You would need to contact the Banjercito and provide a police report. I assume in the case of a totaled vehicle you would also need documents from your insurer as proof.

Getting the documents from the insurer is likely a simple and straight forward process. I cringe when I consider what a police report might entail.

If you are not insured you are definitely on your own but the process would be the same.

I will have copies of all my personal and vehicle documents stored digitally for this and any future trips. I think I will photograph my TVIP when I get it and store that as well. Quien sabe.
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #19007
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,780
The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
Quien sabe.
Close cousin of the term kemo sabe (or kemosabe)

We'll take a look at the word Tonto later
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #19008
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
I am very curious about this "unconventional" road definition. That is some slippery language. It seems to me that if it's a public road, then it would normally be used for vehicle traffic. A closed circuit race track or the likes is the only place where I could see that a line could be drawn. If they don't cover dirt roads. I'm not interested in buying.
Let me add this. Chris did use the terms "dunes" and "trails" as examples.
I got the impression that if people normally use the road for getting from A to B it's all good.

Honestly though, if I took my 800XC somewhere it was really not designed to be I don't think I could make a claim with a clear conscience. Don't mean I might not try.

As far as my Durango-Mazatlan comment, I'm stuck on the image of the road rebuilding with boulders and logs.
[IMG][/IMG]
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #19009
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
+1 on what Kiko said - these are Mexico underwriters brokered by US companies.

And companies like Baja Bound and MexAdventure have been around for a long time for a reason. Many Mexico riders have a long, established, positive relationship with these guys and are very happy with their service and advice.

When I refer to Insurance Company, I am talking about ACE, not MexAdventure.

You're going to have to get your head around the fact that dealing with your TVIP is not what you bought insurance for. Working on it may indeed be an extended process.

While I disagree and believe that ACE should handle this if necessary, as I have already stated, " In the end, I will do what I have to do". But shitty service is shitty service!

Therefore, you can choose to engage and attack the bureaucracy (Like Carl said, he's been dealing with it for two years), or you can choose a path of much less resistance. My recommendation to Carl has been, and is to you now, move on to a new TVIP. The way to do this has already been explained.

Are you referring to getting a new Passport?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #19010
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
All vehicle insurance in Mexico is sold by Mexican companies. It is Federal law period. The US companies that sell insurance for vehicles in Mexico are nothing more than resellers. Mexican law will prevail.

Thanks! I had wondered about this. I know they have a office in Monterrey and one in San Antonio, TX. I assume they possible have more.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #19011
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

If the moto is totaled and if it is offered at a very cheap price, my best route may be to take the moto to Nuevo Laredo. I am much closer to the Importation office located north of Tapachula, but what would I do with the moto there if I got the Importation closed? Actually, the moto is 750 miles from Reynosa and 360 miles from the station north of Tapachula.

dwj - Donnie screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 09:14 AM
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #19012
WhiskeySmith
Lucky to be alive

Oddometer: 40
TVIP Cancellation - a work in progress

dwj - Donnie requested that I relay some details behind my TVIP cancellation adventure.

At the time (Oct. 2011), this was my understanding of how the TVIP process works.
  • Procure TVIP (at the border, Mexican consulate, or online...no diff)
  • With TVIP on your person, cross border into Mexico from U.S.
  • Enjoy Mexico from the seat of your motorbike.
  • Upon return to U.S. ...at the border, surrender TVIP and show motorbike to Mexico customs agent.
  • TVIP cancelled by Mexico customs agent.
  • Cross border into U.S. from Mexico.
  • Repeat.

What I did.
  • Procured TVIP via the online process
  • With TVIP on my person, crossed border into Mexico from U.S.
  • Enjoyed Mexico from the seat of my motorbike.
  • Crashed and totaled my motorbike.
  • Manage to not get a police report to back up story of crashing said motorbike.
  • Return to U.S. while leaving “totalled” motorbike behind in Mexico.
  • Convince Mexico-based insurance agent that said motorbike was “totalled”.
  • Surrender title to Mexico-based insurance agent and receive insurance policy claim (payment).
  • Struggle/fail to get TVIP cancelled via conventional channels.

Timeline of my attempt(s) to get the TVIP cancelled. (note: Upon request, I am happy to update this post with the names, emails, phone numbers, addresses, etc. for each summarized point)
  • October 2011: Get TVIP, crash in Mexico, get medi-evac'd back to the U.S.
  • January 2012: Mailed request letter (translated into Spanish) to have TVIP cancelled , TVIP, photo copy of passport, total loss letter from Ace Seguros, copy of all hospital invoices, copy of hospital release papers to (Banjercito) Mexico City.
  • March 2012: Employed bilingual coworker to call Banjercito to get a status report. Was told that the request was on a pile of other requests and to call back in two weeks.
  • March 2012: Employed bilingual coworker to call Banjercito to get a status report. Was told that they need more paperwork.
  • April 2012: Received written notification from the Servicio de Administracion Tributaria (SAT) that in order to cancel my TVIP, they needed the police report from the accident and a completed Anexo 6 form.
  • May 2012: Since a police report was never made and the Anexo 6 form is what gets filled out at the border by the customs agent, I instead mailed another letter (translated into Spanish) requesting that they cancel my TVIP, along with signed-eyewitness accounts, signed letter from Air Medical LLC, signed letter from University Hospital.
  • July 2012: While visiting Tricepilot he gives me the email of a (bilingual) contact he has that works in Mexico City at Banjercito. Email Tricepilot’s contact explaining my situation and asking for guidance/assistance. The Banjercito explains everything I already have read on the web and received in rejection letters from SAT. He first recommends that I get in touch with Mexican Customs Authorities. As it turns out, the contact information he gives me is the same email and phone number I originally used in determining how to get started with this process. So, he then recommended I contact a (bilingual) lady who works at SAT. I emailed the SAT lady explaining my situation and asking for guidance/assistance. She said that I must mail a letter requesting the TVIP be cancelled, the police report from the accident, and the completed Anexo 6 form to Mexico City. I explained (again) that there is no police report from the accident, etc. She says that a work-around would be for me to go to any police station in Mexico and make a voluntary statement, fill out the Anexo 6 form as best I could and mail all this paperwork to the SAT. She also explained that the SAT makes the rules and that the Banjercito works within those rules to facilitate the TVIP process.
  • November 2012: With translator in tow, cross the border, make a voluntary statement about the accident at the police station. Supply pictures from the accident scene and even have one of the eyewitnesses with me and they take his statement. Get original copy of the voluntary statement. On the way back home, my translator asks why the insurance company isn’t working on this for me. I email MexAdventure explaining the situation and ask for help. They say they will look into it to see what they can do. I am told that MexAdventure has engaged Ace Seguros and that ACE is on the case.
  • January 2013: Contact MexAdventure for an update on how ACE is doing. Am told the process should be complete in 2-3 weeks.
  • February 2013: Am told my permit is on the list to get cancelled and to wait a few weeks. Am later told that ACE has paid for the policy cancellation so everything is done from their end and we just need to wait for the Aduana to confirm the cancellation.
  • March 2013: Am told that my TVIP has been closed but that we are waiting on confirmation.
  • April 2013: Ask for an update and am told that mine is a special exception and therefore the process will take longer than normal. Received rejection letter from SAT along with all originally mailed documents (including the original TVIP)
  • May 2013: Ask for an update...no reply.
  • June 2013: As for an update am told that the title I turned over has been misplaced and is required to complete the cancellation process.
  • July 2013: Ask if the title has been located or if the bike is still at the salvage yard so that I can buy it and return across the border with it. Am told no and no.
  • October 2013: Send request to DMV requesting a new title be issued. Receive rejection letter due to lack of proper documentation that the lein had been paid in full.
  • November 2013: Call former lein holder, request documentation to prove I paid off the bike. Received document and mailed second request to DMV for a new title.
  • December 2013: Receive second rejection letter from DMV because the lein holder name is not the same as the bank’s name. Call former lein holder to get second set of documents… Sent third request to have new title issued so that I can send the title to ACE so that they can continue their work on getting the TVIP cancelled.

I agree with Tricepilot's assessment that getting a passport card and then using it would probably net a new TVIP. I may very well end up going this route. For now, I am trying to work within the system. Chris (with MexAdventure) seems to be working with what he has to help. The next step is to get a title to ACE. They either need to find the original that I gave them or I need to convince the DMV to issue a new one to me.

If I had to do it over I would either...a) make sure to get a police report at the scene of the accident. or b) purchase the bike back from ACE and drag it back across the border myself to complete the TVIP cancellation process.
WhiskeySmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #19013
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
I'm stuck on the image of the road rebuilding with boulders and logs.
Who needs the new 40 couta when you can go this route!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #19014
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post

Are you referring to getting a new Passport?
Or, as already explained, keep the passport and get a passport card and use that. Worst thing that could happen is apply online and get rejected, which I doubt.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #19015
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Getting the documents from the insurer is likely a simple and straight forward process. I cringe when I consider what a police report might entail.
Next month I am expanding my college term paper business to include Mexican police reports. Look for a coupon code in my sig line.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #19016
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Or, as already explained, keep the passport and get a passport card and use that. Worst thing that could happen is apply online and get rejected, which I doubt.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Passport Card?
Old 12-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #19017
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a Passport Card?
Let me Google that for you

Passport Card
Old 12-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #19018
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

TVIP Cancellation - a work in progress

dwj - Donnie requested that I relay some details behind my TVIP cancellation adventure.

At the time (Oct. 2011), this was my understanding of how the TVIP process works.
  • Procure TVIP (at the border, Mexican consulate, or online...no diff)
  • With TVIP on your person, cross border into Mexico from U.S.
  • Enjoy Mexico from the seat of your motorbike.
  • Upon return to U.S. ...at the border, surrender TVIP and show motorbike to Mexico customs agent.
  • TVIP cancelled by Mexico customs agent.
  • Cross border into U.S. from Mexico.
  • Repeat.

What I did.
  • Procured TVIP via the online process
  • With TVIP on my person, crossed border into Mexico from U.S.
  • Enjoyed Mexico from the seat of my motorbike.
  • Crashed and totaled my motorbike.
  • Manage to not get a police report to back up story of crashing said motorbike.
  • Return to U.S. while leaving “totalled” motorbike behind in Mexico.
  • Convince Mexico-based insurance agent that said motorbike was “totalled”.
  • Surrender title to Mexico-based insurance agent and receive insurance policy claim (payment).
  • Struggle/fail to get TVIP cancelled via conventional channels.

Timeline of my attempt(s) to get the TVIP cancelled. (note: Upon request, I am happy to update this post with the names, emails, phone numbers, addresses, etc. for each summarized point)
  • October 2011: Get TVIP, crash in Mexico, get medi-evac'd back to the U.S.
  • January 2012: Mailed request letter (translated into Spanish) to have TVIP cancelled , TVIP, photo copy of passport, total loss letter from Ace Seguros, copy of all hospital invoices, copy of hospital release papers to (Banjercito) Mexico City.
  • March 2012: Employed bilingual coworker to call Banjercito to get a status report. Was told that the request was on a pile of other requests and to call back in two weeks.
  • March 2012: Employed bilingual coworker to call Banjercito to get a status report. Was told that they need more paperwork.
  • April 2012: Received written notification from the Servicio de Administracion Tributaria (SAT) that in order to cancel my TVIP, they needed the police report from the accident and a completed Anexo 6 form.
  • May 2012: Since a police report was never made and the Anexo 6 form is what gets filled out at the border by the customs agent, I instead mailed another letter (translated into Spanish) requesting that they cancel my TVIP, along with signed-eyewitness accounts, signed letter from Air Medical LLC, signed letter from University Hospital.
  • July 2012: While visiting Tricepilot he gives me the email of a (bilingual) contact he has that works in Mexico City at Banjercito. Email Tricepilot’s contact explaining my situation and asking for guidance/assistance. The Banjercito explains everything I already have read on the web and received in rejection letters from SAT. He first recommends that I get in touch with Mexican Customs Authorities. As it turns out, the contact information he gives me is the same email and phone number I originally used in determining how to get started with this process. So, he then recommended I contact a (bilingual) lady who works at SAT. I emailed the SAT lady explaining my situation and asking for guidance/assistance. She said that I must mail a letter requesting the TVIP be cancelled, the police report from the accident, and the completed Anexo 6 form to Mexico City. I explained (again) that there is no police report from the accident, etc. She says that a work-around would be for me to go to any police station in Mexico and make a voluntary statement, fill out the Anexo 6 form as best I could and mail all this paperwork to the SAT. She also explained that the SAT makes the rules and that the Banjercito works within those rules to facilitate the TVIP process.
  • November 2012: With translator in tow, cross the border, make a voluntary statement about the accident at the police station. Supply pictures from the accident scene and even have one of the eyewitnesses with me and they take his statement. Get original copy of the voluntary statement. On the way back home, my translator asks why the insurance company isn’t working on this for me. I email MexAdventure explaining the situation and ask for help. They say they will look into it to see what they can do. I am told that MexAdventure has engaged Ace Seguros and that ACE is on the case.
  • January 2013: Contact MexAdventure for an update on how ACE is doing. Am told the process should be complete in 2-3 weeks.
  • February 2013: Am told my permit is on the list to get cancelled and to wait a few weeks. Am later told that ACE has paid for the policy cancellation so everything is done from their end and we just need to wait for the Aduana to confirm the cancellation.
  • March 2013: Am told that my TVIP has been closed but that we are waiting on confirmation.
  • April 2013: Ask for an update and am told that mine is a special exception and therefore the process will take longer than normal. Received rejection letter from SAT along with all originally mailed documents (including the original TVIP)
  • May 2013: Ask for an update...no reply.
  • June 2013: As for an update am told that the title I turned over has been misplaced and is required to complete the cancellation process.
  • July 2013: Ask if the title has been located or if the bike is still at the salvage yard so that I can buy it and return across the border with it. Am told no and no.
  • October 2013: Send request to DMV requesting a new title be issued. Receive rejection letter due to lack of proper documentation that the lein had been paid in full.
  • November 2013: Call former lein holder, request documentation to prove I paid off the bike. Received document and mailed second request to DMV for a new title.
  • December 2013: Receive second rejection letter from DMV because the lein holder name is not the same as the bank’s name. Call former lein holder to get second set of documents… Sent third request to have new title issued so that I can send the title to ACE so that they can continue their work on getting the TVIP cancelled.

I agree with Tricepilot's assessment that getting a passport card and then using it would probably net a new TVIP. I may very well end up going this route. For now, I am trying to work within the system. Chris (with MexAdventure) seems to be working with what he has to help. The next step is to get a title to ACE. They either need to find the original that I gave them or I need to convince the DMV to issue a new one to me.

If I had to do it over I would either...a) make sure to get a police report at the scene of the accident. or b) purchase the bike back from ACE and drag it back across the border myself to complete the TVIP cancellation process.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I had better get this solved before I leave Mexico! Just curious, what did they offer you for your moto? I talked with ACE today, it is pretty clear that they want you to buy the moto if totaled.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #19019
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

I carry both a passport and a passport card as a redundant form of federal ID when traveling south.

Make sure to read the caveats on where and how it is effective.

It will have a different number than your passport, and can be used to obtain a TVIP (I've done it).

If you got the TVIP on your boned bike with your passport, you should be able to get a new TVIP on a different bike (different VIN) with a passport card.

We go over this from time to time, so I'll make sure it's in the FAQs
Old 12-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #19020
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Let me Google that for you

Passport Card

Thanks!

That may present a problem for me in that the address on my Passport Book is the residence I sold. I now use my sister's address as my official address. Are you supposed to get a new Passport Book if your address changes. Assuming the moto is totaled, when I replace it, the address on the Title will also be the new address. My Driver's License has the old address as well.