Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #19006
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySmith View Post
Hey SchizzMan, just trying to grasp your situation.

When you mention that you had cancelled the "previous" TVIP at the Border, are you referring to the "first and only" TVIP that you purchased online?
Yep. Cancelled the first online TVIP at the Border then was denied when applying online for the next one. The application denial gave the explanation that Banjercito had not received the required docs for the first online TVIP. But they had and I had the email from them saying so. Then round and round we went.

Do you have someone who can handle the phone call for you on your end? They need to have very good Spanish for this as "pocho" Spanish will likely not work so well. Banjercito employees are very well educated.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:31 AM   #19007
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Hydration

No one said much about this very important subject. Dehydration can lead to poor decision making, impaired coordination, muscle cramps, irritability, irrational behavior, fatigue and nodding off. Riding for hours non stop dehydrates you and impairs safe riding late in the day. Riding in the desert or tropics as in SW US or Mexico compounds the problem. Coffee and alcohol do not re-hydrate you, they further de-hydrate you. I always carry sufficient water but do not always remember to drink it frequently. We remember to fill our gas tanks and check our oil but not always our personal water and electrolyte levels. After some long hot days in southern and western Mexico I developed some serious hand and leg cramps that made riding a dangerous and painful challenge. (Read brain says back off throttle and squeeze brake lever and right hand knots into a useless ball.) I discovered something called Suero Electrolyte it hydrates and replenishes electrolytes and is available in farmacias and some convenience stores. I found it in some convenience stores on the Autopistas. I like the taste far better than that vile substance Gatorade, it is cheaper too. If you are unfortunate enough to get a stomach bug that de-hydrates you further. I really enjoyed stopping periodically to have "cocos frios" (green coconut juice consumed right out of the shell) It is a great way to refresh and have a dialogue with the locals. If you wait to drink until you are thirsty it is too late. Riding in a group and trying to cover a ridiculous number of miles does not lend itself to frequent hydration stops unless there is a leader who is conscious of the need. Be the one to speak up, it may be a pain in the ass to stop every hour or so but there will be fewer cranky people at the end of the day.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #19008
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,121
Also every pharmacy here stocks pediolyte for both adults and children, it is a rapid re-hydration formula. Ask for "peee-deee-oh-leee-teee para adultos" and they'll know what you want.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:36 AM   #19009
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
It's Pedialyte and it works great, easier to find most places. You can buy it in powder form also if you want to pack it in your tank bag and then dump it in your camelbak later. Riding off road, you may not find it in a small pueblo.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #19010
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Pickle juice is better than gatorade which I cannot stand anymore as well.
A good friend who races mtn bikes know a pro who drinks only water but snacks of potatoe chips for the salt when he stops.

Anyone riding into baja this weekend?
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #19011
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
This element of your post makes the most sense.

There should be some straightforward way for the insurance underwriter to issue an affidavit to Banjercito to the effect that they totaled your bike. A likely reason it hasn't been established as a process is because the need for it doesn't surface all that often. Still, it makes sense that it should work case by case when it does.

Worst case, you eat the TVIP bond money, and go get another TVIP if you want one. A new passport or a passport card should do the trick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Consider the issue if ACE or any other Mexican insurer determines the bike to be totaled. They then pay you the agreed value. It is now their bike and you have effectively imported it to Mexico. Since you are not taking the totaled bike back to the USA, you forfeit the TVIP bond. The deal is effectively closed and you are free to go buy another bike back in the good old USA and next time you go to Mexico, you just get a TvIP for that bike.
That is why the "bond" exists.
You may not have intended to forfeit the bond, but once you crash and total the bike, its a real possibility.

There are a number of things that we face in Mexico that are some what different than what we would expect in the USA. Some of these things are good, some not so good, but it is part of the "Mexico Experience" as we like to say. It may be the normal course for insurance bought here, at least compared to what we would expect. But, I bought this insurance in the USA and it should fall under what we would consider normal business practices there. In the end, I will do what I have to do, but I will not accept this as part of the Mexico Experience, because it is not! It is business dealing of sub-standard US Insurance Company. Or is this a Mexican Company selling insurance in the USA? Either way, it is a USA product.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #19012
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
All vehicle insurance in Mexico is sold by Mexican companies. It is Federal law period. The US companies that sell insurance for vehicles in Mexico are nothing more than resellers. Mexican law will prevail.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #19013
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 933
I know people with active TVIPs who have lost vehicles in the US (one stolen, one totaled) and they were able to get their permisos cancelled. It took my friend 10 months but but much of that was chasing the cop who wrote original accident report and wrote down the wrong VIN. So it can be done. I have a friend who worked for la Aduana on import issues Hermosillo. I will query her and try to get better info on what to do.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #19014
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
But, I bought this insurance in the USA and it should fall under what we would consider normal business practices there. In the end, I will do what I have to do, but I will not accept this as part of the Mexico Experience, because it is not! It is business dealing of sub-standard US Insurance Company. Or is this a Mexican Company selling insurance in the USA? Either way, it is a USA product.
+1 on what Kiko said - these are Mexico underwriters brokered by US companies.

And companies like Baja Bound and MexAdventure have been around for a long time for a reason. Many Mexico riders have a long, established, positive relationship with these guys and are very happy with their service and advice.

You're going to have to get your head around the fact that dealing with your TVIP is not what you bought insurance for. Working on it may indeed be an extended process.

Therefore, you can choose to engage and attack the bureaucracy (Like Carl said, he's been dealing with it for two years), or you can choose a path of much less resistance. My recommendation to Carl has been, and is to you now, move on to a new TVIP. The way to do this has already been explained.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #19015
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
It's Pedialyte and it works great, easier to find most places. You can buy it in powder form also if you want to pack it in your tank bag and then dump it in your camelbak later. Riding off road, you may not find it in a small pueblo.
Whale oil beef hooked...

Thanks, Kiko. Gringo Spanish practiced here, never had the luxury of formal schooling in the idioma all learned on the street, watching telenovelas and reading La Alarma...still learning the difference between "sobaco" and "su backhoe" not to mention "calsones" and "calzones."
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #19016
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

What do you call the new monster out in the prospecting field?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #19017
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
The terms and conditions of the ACE Seguros Platinum Policy is surprisingly a short three pages. Not legalese either. I was however left wondering what an "unconventional road" might be. I'll bet your friend Chris can explain it to me..
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Give Chris a call and post back here, if you would.
In regard to my "unconventional road" comment.

Chris at Mexadventure said an unconventional road would be anything other than a road normally used for vehicle traffic. This covers any where I would be. The route Tricepilot reported on that went from Durango to Mazatlan would no doubt be considered unconventional.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #19018
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
The route Tricepilot reported on that went from Durango to Mazatlan would no doubt be considered unconventional.
Three cheers for that
Old 12-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #19019
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
TVIP cancellation

TVIP cancellation in case of loss.

I asked Chris to speak to this issue. He said some of the insurers will help in the process, some more than others. At the least they would point you in the right direction.

You would need to contact the Banjercito and provide a police report. I assume in the case of a totaled vehicle you would also need documents from your insurer as proof.

Getting the documents from the insurer is likely a simple and straight forward process. I cringe when I consider what a police report might entail.

If you are not insured you are definitely on your own but the process would be the same.

I will have copies of all my personal and vehicle documents stored digitally for this and any future trips. I think I will photograph my TVIP when I get it and store that as well. Quien sabe.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #19020
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

The Lone Ranger

Quote:
Quien sabe.
Close cousin of the term kemo sabe (or kemosabe)

We'll take a look at the word Tonto later