Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 05:04 PM   #19606
evilwerkz
Time to ride....

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
No doubt some mierdo will hit the ventiladora
the correct word is mierda....unless you meant to make a new word meaning miedo/mierda.....wait, I see what you did there now....
Old 01-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #19607
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwerkz View Post
when you´re travelling between the guerrero/morelia border over la sierra, you DO need fire power
Just out of curiosity can you expand on this?

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #19608
evilwerkz
Time to ride....

shure thing, the first time I went with him, we went to a place called Aguillilla and guayameo inside the guerrero/morelia sierra, when we got there, they guys that where waiting for us took us to lunch, and I noticed everyone was packing, small and large arms, they provided me with with a temporary AK47 and told me that if shit hit the fan, to at least fire to the sky or make noise..... so I bought my own rifle and bring it if I go with Doc. Cuevas

but do not worry, I´ve never seen any bike tourist, or tourist for that matter around those places....seen other crazy things....but no ADVers
Old 01-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #19609
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
Eh?

Boy, this thread is spiraling into an abyss.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:34 PM   #19610
evilwerkz
Time to ride....

sorry...MEXICO IS SAFE!!!! it is, I feel safer here than anywhere else, just use common sense, that´s all.....
Old 01-08-2014, 05:42 PM   #19611
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Right on Mike Mike. No doubt some mierdo will hit the ventiladora here but I have never known you to hold back, God bless you. An "assault rifle" is a purpose made firearm. It is made to assault other human beings, unless deer elk and bear form militias, they are not likely to be needed in the forest. We simply must end the insanity. I am not anti-firearm, I am anti-lunatic.
That's my point.

Where does it end?

I've seen a gun fired in anger here in Mexico, not something I want to see again. It was the day of the body dump here, about an hour afterwards in downtown Boca del Rio across from the police station. He wasn't shooting at me, and if I was armed would I have shot the guy? How am I supposed to know if he was a cop, a narco, or both?
Am I going to drive or ride around armed to the teeth?
When you see people shooting at people you get the fck outta there ASAP, you are not going to pull a weapon and join in.
Same goes for someone shooting at your house. Is someone going to pull out their high caliber weapons and start shooting back?

What if there are 3 guys shooting like at this house a couple of blocks away from me? Is somebody going to go all out OK Corral on them? I doubt it.
And how does someone know who is who here? Narcos wear military uniforms all the time. They did when they dumped the 35 bodies about a kilometer from my house. Did I go out and buy high caliber weapons after that? Anybody on here that owns a gun had 35 bodies dumped in their neighborhood? If so, tell me about it, I'm all ears.

Count the impacts on that place. Maybe somebody was in the wrong line of work, you think? The family left town as fast as the neighbors hit their floors when that went down. Anybody on here have people trying to do this to them? I highly doubt that, if so, you won't be posting about having an arsenal on some internet forum.

Target shooting in a legit gun club? Go right ahead, it's a sport as far as I am concerned and a legit hobby, just like archery.
Hunting? No problem. I've got a relative here that goes all the time, has a few shotguns, all registered and legit. He also eats what he bags.

I've had a cop here try to tell me I needed the Uzi he was trying to sell me back in the mid-90's. No thanks, ditto for the nickel plated revolvers he was pushing, too. I've sat at dinner tables here and seen the guns sitting beside the plates, never liked it, still don't, and I always avoid it as much as possible, even if it means leaving the party. Those were local cops and their wives. The military people I know have their own security and are very, very discrete about it and for obvious reasons.

One morning I left for work before dawn and decided, for no real reason but just felt like it, to take a different route. I missed this, but was there for the clean up. A jogger out for an early morning exercise session took one in the gut and survived. Nobody could have known who was who in the dark when that shootout happened. Some of you might recognize the place where they are patching the holes. I would have been right there when it happened and was glad I wasn't.

When the video below was recorded, a stray round ended up in my wife's office. Pierced the metal security curtain door, the second door, and ended up in the wall. Now, listen carefully to this video from that night, I have posted it here before, and you'll hear the military guy yelling at the reporters who are filming it at the 54 second mark.

If you speak Spanish, you'll quickly understand exactly why you wouldn't be carrying a weapon or using a weapon unless you were part of the military action. Is someone seriously going to believe they are going to accomplish anything by pulling out high caliber weapons and starting to shoot during some event like this? Get real. Cut the Rambo bad boy BS out and try living like a normal human being.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBynUic2Y0&authuser=0

That bullet that pierced the door might have come from a weapon that the US government knowingly put in the hands of criminals. That really infuriates me. That's wrong, everyone knows it is. Putting guns into the hands of paranoid gringos is just as bad. If you think you need to carry and keep assault rifles, you've got some serious issues. If you think you can get away with owning them illegally in a nation that is against gun violence you are dancing on black ice and only fooling yourself.

Funny coincidence that this comes up on this thread, today. I just sent a bunch of stuff related to this to a rider to illustrate what happens when you get a rotten apple politico or three making deals they shouldn't be making and how things can turn to sht in a really nice place really quick.

I've said my piece and anybody who thinks they can out gun narcos, cops, or military here, is only kidding themselves. And the last thing I want to hear is that someone on here has some kind of "in" or some special status or some "connections" that allows them to own illegal weapons. That's a crock of sht. Period. The moment the military find you in possession of illegal weapons your life is going to change. You know it and I know it.

I used to go to cockfights here, first time back in 1978 in Mexico City and locally. Never once needed a gun. Went to cockfights and smokers all the time in the '90's. Again, no need for them. One gringo with a rifle ain't going to do sht when you've got six rancheros with weapons in front of you. The only thing that might do is keep some punk from doing a snatch and grab for a money bag or a briefcase in the truck. It isn't going to stop anyone who really wants whatever you have.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #19612
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
Guerreo Michoacan border puro desmadre.
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #19613
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Guerreo Michoacan border puro desmadre.
Yes, it is. You've got the military taking it pretty hard, like last week.
You've got a federal government that can't find its own arse end with both hands behind its back.
You've got a history of corrupt state government there.
You've got a history of vigilante action.
You've got a vigilante leader in hospital.
You've got a federal government not going after the narcos, but going after the vigilantes that are trying to protect their property and families.

I have never met one rider on this thread or even heard of one rider on this thread who lives amongst the campesinos in that part of Mexico and has had their property or family threatened by Knights Templar members.

I can guarantee you that if you are driving around that part of Mexico and you are armed and you are carrying illegal weapons, you are going to be subject to some interesting interrogation. If the weapons you are carrying are legit, you'll still be delayed for a period of time while they sort things out. How are the vigilantes going to know you are not Knights Templar and how are the Knights Templar going to know you are not vigilante and how are the military going to know you are not either or something different?

Now, won't that be an unnecessary, uncomfortable, and inconvenient clusterfck?
Old 01-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #19614
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
And here's the view you can have from the west coast.
All you gotta do is get down there.

mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:45 PM   #19615
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
http://www.eluniversalmas.com.mx/col.../07/102805.php

Excellent article about "In Mourning For the Death of Michoacan", by noted essayist Ricardo Aleman.
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:07 PM   #19616
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

After applying the Anselizer...

Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 PM   #19617
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Old 01-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #19618
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Mark, I really am enjoying those last two pics. HDR involved with Silver Efex?
Filtered on camera or in post on the second shot??
Nice work, I cant get that with Picassa touch ups....but I need lt!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #19619
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Thanks Mike for the compliments. I've always enjoyed photography since I was a kid.

Pic 2 (cliffs), I underexposed at the camera, to gain sky detail. Knew I'd lose the shadows, but that's kinda what I wanted. Trees can be dark and undetailed.

Pic 1 (road) may have been underexposed just a touch. I tend to like to underexpose a bit to intensify some of the colors. However, being a blacktop shop, who needs color. I did apply a bit of a color tint to the 'black'

My post processing is Ye Olde Photoshop CS6 (I have a 'need' for it at work), they have an excellent b&w conversion adjustment. You can use sliders to tweak the tonality / zone of that color (CMYRGB) That works great for getting the dark sky look with C & B, maybe pulling Y & G down a bit to brighten up the greenery.

Bit easier than the smell of dektol and acetic acid under an orange light. Maybe not quite as romatic or artesianal, however.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #19620
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the insight, Mark. I am going to see if this weekend I can try the underexposure. Please put up some more pics when you can. it is truly inspiring!
I finally moved from pocket type point and shoots to a bridge camera...baby steps...Not sure if I will go for a DSLR with all the new four thirds etc...I cant imagine what is coming in the next 18 months or so.