Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #19606
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,612
Thanks Mike for the compliments. I've always enjoyed photography since I was a kid.

Pic 2 (cliffs), I underexposed at the camera, to gain sky detail. Knew I'd lose the shadows, but that's kinda what I wanted. Trees can be dark and undetailed.

Pic 1 (road) may have been underexposed just a touch. I tend to like to underexpose a bit to intensify some of the colors. However, being a blacktop shop, who needs color. I did apply a bit of a color tint to the 'black'

My post processing is Ye Olde Photoshop CS6 (I have a 'need' for it at work), they have an excellent b&w conversion adjustment. You can use sliders to tweak the tonality / zone of that color (CMYRGB) That works great for getting the dark sky look with C & B, maybe pulling Y & G down a bit to brighten up the greenery.

Bit easier than the smell of dektol and acetic acid under an orange light. Maybe not quite as romatic or artesianal, however.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #19607
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Thanks for the insight, Mark. I am going to see if this weekend I can try the underexposure. Please put up some more pics when you can. it is truly inspiring!
I finally moved from pocket type point and shoots to a bridge camera...baby steps...Not sure if I will go for a DSLR with all the new four thirds etc...I cant imagine what is coming in the next 18 months or so.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:24 PM   #19608
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Mierda

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwerkz View Post
the correct word is mierda....unless you meant to make a new word meaning miedo/mierda.....wait, I see what you did there now....
Thanks...SSL here...interesting that you have to travel armed to go where you want to go...I saw way too many heavily armed jovens (jovenes ?) wearing balaclavas and uniforms last winter. With that kind of fire power some bad shit can happen way too quickly. My Lai comes to mind.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #19609
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Miedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwerkz View Post
the correct word is mierda....unless you meant to make a new word meaning miedo/mierda.....wait, I see what you did there now....
Yes, I do tend to have some miedo when the mierda hits the fan, especially when I can't call in artillery to "bracket the target and fire for effect", close tactical air support, or a drone strike. Close small arms combat is not a lot of fun except in WOW. Maybe that is why I never saw heavily armed Federales and soldiers in the Sierra.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:26 AM   #19610
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Having a "bowlful" here in Colorado definitely does not sharpen your edge.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:50 AM   #19611
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

McFoil, I am in full survivalist mode for when you decide to drop by.

I presently have 4 bottles of Noche Buena, one can of Pacifico, 10 Carta Blancas, and 2 Victorias in the little fridge. Ty didn't have GPS working or he would have stopped by here instead of us meeting up downtown and it is likely those all would have been gone and needing replacing.
I also found an unopened bottle of Crown Royal in the liquor pantry.
There is also a pound of coffee from Andres' territory and family finca de cafe in La Esperanza up the coast and inland.
It is likely the best cup of coffee you will ever taste in Mexico.
I cleaned the coffee maker with vinegar and ran through two potfuls of water to flush it out.
The dog has been dewormed.
Same for me, though it required opening the Crown Royal, sorry.

I have waste oil containers and a disposal site for if you are going to need to change oil and filters.

The owner and manager of The Seal Club has informed me it is closed until the end of the month. This is unfortunate but it will likely save you a liver transplant (or some other organs) down the road and allow for you to grow old gracefully.

It is colder than Nancy Pelosi's smile at the moment.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:26 AM   #19612
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Thanks for the insight, Mark. I am going to see if this weekend I can try the underexposure. Please put up some more pics when you can. it is truly inspiring!
I finally moved from pocket type point and shoots to a bridge camera...baby steps...Not sure if I will go for a DSLR with all the new four thirds etc...I cant imagine what is coming in the next 18 months or so.
for Mikemike and Trice

The main entrance to the old Bullring at Zacatecas, now known as Quinta Real Hotel.
I took these pics on Jan 3rd, 2014. (I don't know much about photogrpahy, hope you like it).
These entrance now is the back part of the hotel on a narrow street alley.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:00 AM   #19613
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
for Mikemike and Trice

The main entrance to the old Bullring at Zacatecas, now known as Quinta Real Hotel.
I took these pics on Jan 3rd, 2014. (I don't know much about photogrpahy, hope you like it).
Nice!!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #19614
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Oddometer: 8,679
Quote:
I've been living here for 20 years and cannot figure out why the fck anyone would want or need 10 or more high caliber weapons in their house.

Either you have a lot of enemies or enjoy showing off. It's bullsht either way. You know it and I know it.

One break in at your house and you've got those guns in the hands of people who are slightly less responsible. Gee, thanks.

Mexico didn't need the weapons that came in via Fast and Furious, it doesn't need the weapons in the hands of gringos that think they need to protect their sht with a load of guns.

None of you live in an area that has seen the kind of narco violence I have in my neighborhood. I don't own a gun, don't need a gun, don't want to be around someone who thinks they need high caliber weapons for their own protection. That kind of paranoid sht is better kept north of the border.

When I was a hunter, I owned guns. I didn't need an assault rifle for any game I was after.
Long ago a friend disabused me of the notion of owning a full auto weapon for protection when he shared personal accounts of policing S. Africa during apartheid. When a full auto clip was ripped off the good and the helpless people ran from the sound. The bad guys ran to it. Sumpin' to consider.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SkizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #19615
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
Always ask if the BP officer goes to Mexico. I do occasionally and I have NEVER found one that has actually crossed the border.
There's an inmate here who works the bridge in El Paso as CBP and he's ridden Mexco. Took him across at Presidio-Ojinaga his first time (before he joined CBP). Only one I know who actually rides Mexico.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #19616
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
I'm delaying my trip back north, to my hometown in Ohio, which has reached the scorching temp of -12 today. According to the state websites in Illinois and Indiana, the roads are still Not Good. Long stretches of interstate in IL are still reported as 'snow / ice covered' - and salt won't work in these temps.

Truck driver buddy of mine said "Stay down there!"

So, I'll guess I'll hang in Austin, maybe work on my tan in the 28 degree temps. Best I can tell, JD didn't leave any beer in the fridge to drink.

Need to find me a nice girl in Maz, I guess.
Sorry Amigo. No time to make a beer run. But I did leave you with a Mason jar in the fridge that contains the Alkie Hall of a case or two of beer.

As it was I arrived at the gate for departure to Taiwan right at boarding time. Got some looks when I described walking the MAZ beach less than two days before.

Glad you hung around the house to wait it out. Really glad you came along and discovered the majestic beauty of MX27.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #19617
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post

If the Camino Real replaces those doors, I'm there to claim them.

Not that they would. But I want them.

What a nice shot Arte!

Old doors are a thing. The old patina. Windows too.

Robert de Gast did a book on San Miguel's doors

You can run SMA from about 3 to 6 to catch the "late light"

That's when the colors on the buildings pop. That's when the shadows dance.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #19618
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Arte, great stuff, bien hecho!
Wish I had been there to shoot those with you.
Puedemos cantar "La Puerta Negra" juntos algun dia ja, ja!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #19619
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 862
For sale in Mexico City... A perfect commuter vehicle!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...100L-in-Mexico

Old 01-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #19620
McFoil
Filthy Pig

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
McFoil, I am in full survivalist mode for when you decide to drop by.

I presently have 4 bottles of Noche Buena, one can of Pacifico, 10 Carta Blancas, and 2 Victorias in the little fridge. Ty didn't have GPS working or he would have stopped by here instead of us meeting up downtown and it is likely those all would have been gone and needing replacing.
I also found an unopened bottle of Crown Royal in the liquor pantry.
There is also a pound of coffee from Andres' territory and family finca de cafe in La Esperanza up the coast and inland.
It is likely the best cup of coffee you will ever taste in Mexico.
I cleaned the coffee maker with vinegar and ran through two potfuls of water to flush it out.
The dog has been dewormed.
Same for me, though it required opening the Crown Royal, sorry.

I have waste oil containers and a disposal site for if you are going to need to change oil and filters.

The owner and manager of The Seal Club has informed me it is closed until the end of the month. This is unfortunate but it will likely save you a liver transplant (or some other organs) down the road and allow for you to grow old gracefully.

It is colder than Nancy Pelosi's smile at the moment.
We are booked at the Emporio for the 30,31 y 1. Looking forward to the Helping you clean out the fridge. I like to travel with a purpose.

It's been damn cold up here, but next week is mild. Good timing for us to prep the bikes and get the new off a tire or two. We should all be running fresh oil when we cross at Laredo, but appreciate the afforded option.

The Seal Club must be totally UTR or my inter web is busted. Absolutely no google presence. Anyway, I've given up on growing old gracefully.
McFoil is offline   Reply With Quote