Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 03:18 PM   #19711
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Mark, the graffiti was there, the cart was there, the cigarette butt was there, and the steel guys were working and tying off the rebar. The pic is what was behind me when I got the shot of the Cat operator.
Hands down the best advice I ever read, straight from Ansel Adams, who said, "When you take a picture, turn around and look at what is behind you, there might be a better picture there".
Adams and Edward Weston were like the blues musicians. They toiled at their craft, put a lot of love into it, and carried their instrument with them and kept one within reach at all times and the result is beautiful art.
When you get a chance, Google "Graciela Iturbide, Mujer Angel Sonora Desert"
I stared at that pic for 15 minutes, I like to picture it in my mind, a fascinating image, I really want to do that.

Trice, panoramic results were odd, today. I am getting a black portion of the shot, I need to work on the timing of the movement and get a count going in my head. I will try to post results this week.

I just got back from a great ride with AndyC from Texas! You guys have never ridden this road.
You have to!
It's another Zen ride, another piece of the puzzle I gave up trying to solve a long time ago, but still recognize that it exists.

The eastern slope of El Pico, rarely ridden, I can tell you it that the road is in great shape and the shape is a like a Mobius Strip picture from art class.

Pics will slowly follow, a good ride like this you take your time posting...
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #19712
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
In today's Mexico, nothing says, "I Love You" better than a shopping cart and the chipped paint of a steel railing...

Veracruz!
Cortez would pretty much fill his pantaloons if he could see it now.
I just noticed I forgot about the cigarette butt.
Empty shipping cart, there is the sign. Cortez would have filled it with heads. Mexico definitely not safe back then.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:31 PM   #19713
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Curs of all colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
Reality
Circle of life.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #19714
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I am (according to my wife) a rule breaker; however when I travel outside the confines of the USA, I follow all rules. Its their country, their rules, and they have every right ( and I have none) to enforce their rules. Its really pretty simple, folks.
Agreed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #19715
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

The Andy Ride

Well, down here we have the: Jimmy Ride, the Jimmy Ride with Dave's Leg (RMO version via Acocomotla), and Da Bum's Rush named after Dave from Arizona. Today we have...the Andy Ride.
I've decided to get a neutral third party opinion from Bob Loblaw on this one.
I'm betting he'll really enjoy it.

The following pics tell a story that Andy knows, I'll be more than happy to tell it to others but they have to do the ride. It begins with these hands...

The story spans two nations and almost 3 decades...

And, sadly, some day it will be lived again...

Here's the one, Andy, the one I had already "framed" at breakfast...

Clear sky, one little tiny cloud just to keep everyone focused...

I think El Pico knew you were coming and she really put her make up on, today!
Old 01-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #19716
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
For the casual reader, a quick primer, taken straight from MexAdventure's and Baja Bound's websites:

The Mexico tourist card, or Mexico tourist visa, is required for each person in your travel group if you will be traveling outside of the border tourist corridor areas.

Here are the Mexico tourist corridors:

Tijuana to Ensenada

Mexicali to San Felipe

Sonoyta to Puerto Penasco

Cuidad Juarez to Paquime

Piedras Negras to Santarosa

Reynosa - China to Presa el Cuchillo

If you will be traveling outside of these areas, you will need to get a tourist card when you cross the border into Mexico.

To each his own

I'd rather get one and "not need it", then skip the process and find out later I wish I had gotten it.

Red pill. Blue pill. Your choice.
Trice, you are, of course, correct. Since the authorities in Baja have stopped enforcing the FMM law for visitors in the sense that they no longer check the visa, I have become complacent when travelling to Baja. In this instance I had an FMM that was still valid from a trip to Copper Canyon in November, but a couple of the people travelling with me did not. Getting an FMM at San Ysidro where we crossed is a bit of a shit show, so we did not stop on the way down.

What I think is important to stress however, is that many Mexican Insurance policies have an exclusion for insured drivers who are not in the country legally. This means having an FMM. So if you do not, and get in an accident, your claim may be denied.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa

Blind Warrior screwed with this post 01-12-2014 at 05:10 PM
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #19717
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
What I think is important to stress however, is that many Mexican Insurance policies have an exclusion for insured drivers who are not in the country legally. This means having an FMM. So if you do not, and get in an accident, your claim may be denied.
I thought I had come across all the angles, but this nugget I did not have in the bag.

Good catch!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #19718
andyc740
Guzzi wrangler

Oddometer: 44
Talking

Quote:
Well, down here we have the: Jimmy Ride, the Jimmy Ride with Dave's Leg (RMO version via Acocomotla), and Da Bum's Rush named after Dave from Arizona. Today we have...the Andy Ride.

The following pics tell a story that Andy knows, I'll be more than happy to tell it to others but they have to do the ride. It begins with these hands...

I enjoyed the outing very much. I noticed the higher we climbed, the poorer the houses. Manolo says the ones living the highest have kids running around with no shoes and minimal warm clothing.

Very good ride. Impressive pictures! I hope you don't mind if I swipe some to post on Facebook. I always wanted a genuine MikeMike portrait!
Old 01-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #19719
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 826
Alamos to El Fuerte...is it safe?

Mrs. Trip and I started the day with breakfast at La Hacienda de los Santos...

...pretty good, but not nearly as good as the breakfast at the Hotel Los Arcos in Banamichi.
Its beautiful there, though. As a matter of fact, we also had dinner there last night...attentive waiter, fine table linens, crystal...I spent the whole dinner saying "...boy, we're really splurging tonite..." until the bill came...$55 us, including a 20% tip...yeah, Mexico is pretty cool.
After our breakfast, we headed south out of Alamos for El Fuerte. I'd heard there had been trouble this way a couple of years ago. Well, we made El Fuerte in about 4-5 hours. We didn't get robbed or shot at. I did get my hand shaken twice though. Once by the Policia in Cerro Colorado when I stopped to check my directions with the officer sitting in his truck. The other time we had stopped at an intersection in the middle of nowhere to check my map. An older gentleman was walking by, and when I said "buenas dias" , he came right over and shook my hand, and then Mrs Trips. He flashed me a peace sign with a grin, and walked off with an incredulous expression on his face. I think he was a couple of cervesas short of a fiesta. I'm sure he got home and told the tale of meeting 2 aliens with large shiny heads on motorbikes.

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #19720
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

By all means, Andy!
And sadly, Manolo is correct.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #19721
subcomm
adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 161
Hwy 131: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido

I am visiting Oaxaca today on the recommendation on a Tricepilot. I want to go to Puerto Escondido tomorrow. What is the road like from here to there? Google maps shows 250km and about 3.5 hrs, is that accurate?
Also, any advice on decent hotels in Puerto Escondido?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #19722
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by subcomm View Post
I am visiting Oaxaca today on the recommendation on a Tricepilot. I want to go to Puerto Escondido tomorrow. What is the road like from here to there? Google maps shows 250km and about 3.5 hrs, is that accurate?
Also, any advice on decent hotels in Puerto Escondido?
Thanks in advance!
Allow yourself all day whether you take Mex 175 or Mex 131. It's a great ride either way. Saludos, Jim
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #19723
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,481
Quote:

More mountain magic. Beautiful and Definitelyl see ya soon

BobLoblaw screwed with this post 01-12-2014 at 07:17 PM
BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #19724
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,481
My Favourite 742 km of Mexico

Old 01-13-2014, 04:42 AM   #19725
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,396
Would love to know who changed the title of the thread to "Traveling in Mexico.."

Arte gave the thread the original title, and readers have gotten used to finding this thread by that title. It is also how this thread has been cross referenced all over ADV.

No matter what the thread has morphed into, I would love to hear the rationale by the person who changed the title.

Toxic Britney is hardly about Britney. That thread could be renamed "Pasty Middle Aged Old Farts Lusting After 20 Something Babes".

Why not start changing thread titles all over the board?

I don't get changing thread titles based upon someone's opinion of what a thread has become.

A thread title should be the province of the OP, and his alone. Unless he requests thread title change, someone else doesn't have the grounds to mess with it.

If a thread reaches 20,000 replies and a million and a half hits, it's has proven it's merit to the readership - leave the damn title alone!

tricepilot screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 04:48 AM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote