At least its not "half a bottle of mescal at this point"
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #19743
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
Sorry, I thought you were. You do a fair amount of riding and that lead me to that conclusion.
You're not the only one.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:49 AM   #19744
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFoil View Post
Why?
Though I am confused with the name change (they should have done it after my morning coffee), I'm betting its a PRI mandated act. They applied some pressure, made a deal with someone, and now everything is happy, happy, happy. No more danger here!
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:54 AM   #19745
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,125
It's a shame that people might not find it under the old name.
This thread has been like a trading post from the pony express era.

Trice, regarding the vigilantes, they look more like the guys in the second pic with the older shotguns than the ones with the "for military use only by order of government" assault rifles, around here.

But let's have a look at something that has become a fixture on a certain road.

A little over a year ago, the Mystery Rider and the Mystery Rider Jr. and I were in a jeep heading for the hills. Mountains, actually. We came across this sign. Same sign Andy and I saw yesterday. I can tell you it has been there for awhile, how long is anyone's guess.

I could have written, on two different occasions, about this being a dangerous place, where outlaws roam the land, where someone has a not too shabby grouping ability with a firearm. But why? Maybe someone can tell me the caliber of the ammo that left those holes? But nobody can tell me who did it and why they did it. Exactly the same as when I lived in Idaho for a short time, and exactly the same as in parts of northern Ontario and Quebec, you will find signs that someone has filled with holes. The difference is that the government usually changes them.

Maybe this is the "smoking gun" pun intended, that proves the story the guy spun about being two up on loaded GS and chased by narcos shooting at him at over 100mph. Remember that crock of sht?

You do what Trice says, you manage the risk.

I would never knowingly take anyone into an area controlled by narcos. Not worth the trouble, just like a couple of years back when things were really bad up around Martinez de la Torre, that was off the radar for about 6 months or so. Not worth the hassle and it was a risk I couldn't see myself planning for or managing properly. Nowadays, I route people through there all the time, things are fine.

You bet there are vigilantes in Mexico, and yes, there are vigilantes here in Veracruz no matter what the government says because I have seen them in the sierras in front of Cordoba-Orizaba. They also exist in a few other places and they are there for a reason. Pest control.

Locally, this is where we ride and this is what we see. No big deal when you understand the back story of the how and why.

I'm betting the sign will be up for another few years, the post looks fairly sturdy, only one house nearby, it's in the middle of nowhere, the government is broke (though their last election campaign saw more money spent than ever, funny how that works), so you might see it some post by someone spinning a yarn about the dangerous road they were on. You'll know its bullsht.

The rope across the road trick is usually more prevalent during Christmas time, even school kids do it. The guys fixing the potholes have usually been given cement and shovels by the local cacique or caudillo who has pocketed the money the government sent to pay the workers and he tells them to fix the holes and stick their hands out if they want to get money.
Sadly, there are still some people who are subjected to living in areas controlled by people like that. Peña Nieto can squawk all he wants about the new PRI and the new Mexico, the times they ain't a changin'.

Mexico is a country chock full of beautiful scenery, tremendous resources, beautiful people, living under the control of egomaniac self-serving politicians.
Sound familiar?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:17 AM   #19746
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

These are the Trip Planning moderators

I suggest considering sending a polite PM with your thoughts.

I also suggest reiterating your support that a thread title is the property of the OP, and should be restored.

Who knows? I just thought of asking Arte if he requested it. If he hasn't.......

What the HECK!!

I did not asked to have the thread name changed. Yesterday I was trying to read some post and could not find it, and I'm just learning today about it!

Moderator(s), please get the original name back.
If some one(s) thinks it is a name that causes controversy, disinformation, or not proper information, well then.... do not read it.

Arte

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #19747
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,888
Name changing=political correctness.

Now all you people get in line. You can paint stripes on a donkey and call it a Zebra, but its still an Ass.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:06 AM   #19748
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Name Change

Moderators:

Please return this thread to its original name. IMS has become a "brand" if you will on this website. Safety in Mexico is on the minds of many people who think about going there by any means of transportation. This thread provides information that is up to date, banter, experience, less BS than Fox "News", and a platform for exercise of free speech rights for all who post to it. I think at the very least we are owed a truthful explanation for the change. Legalese gobbledygook will serve none of us well.

Thank you for attention to this matter.

David F Oyster
rockymountainoyster
Old 01-13-2014, 07:11 AM   #19749
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Moderators:

Please return this thread to its original name. IMS has become a "brand" if you will on this website. Safety in Mexico is on the minds of many people who think about going there by any means of transportation. This thread provides information that is up to date, banter, experience, less BS than Fox "News", and a platform for exercise of free speech rights for all who post to it. I think at the very least we are owed a truthful explanation for the change. Legalese gobbledygook will serve none of us well.

Thank you for attention to this matter.

David F Oyster
rockymountainoyster

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #19750
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,820
Yeh, what RMO said.

Y'all could at least change it to something that doesn't sound like an AARP bus charter. Maybe, say, like "SchizzMan Rides México!" or sumpin'. I dunno.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #19751
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
"Traveling in Mexico" WTF, why? Unsubscribed!

I think it's kind of nice to get rid of the security subtext in the thread. I don't talk about security on a daily basis and no one I know in Mexico does either. It's kind of boring and tedious to discuss it every few days on this thread. There are many more interesting topics to discuss.

But then again, as a practice, why change the name of any thread? Probably half the threads on this forum have gone off topic.

SR screwed with this post 01-16-2014 at 02:24 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:39 AM   #19752
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
What the HECK!!

I did not asked to have the thread name changed. Yesterday I was trying to read some post and could not find it, and I'm just learning today about it!

Moderator(s), please get the original name back.
If some one(s) thinks it is a name that causes controversy, disinformation, or not proper information, well then.... do not read it.

Arte
Thread titles belong to the thread initiator (the "OP")

Unless the thread title violates site rules (and I can't think of one that ever has, certainly Is Mexico Safe? does not), or the OP requests a change, a unilateral change is unwarranted.

This all said, as suggested before, send a polite PM to one or more of the Trip Planning moderators. They may not be reading these posts.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:46 AM   #19753
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
"Traveling in Mexico" WTF, why? Unsubscribed!

But then again, as a practice, why change the name of any thread? Probably half the threads on this forum have gone off topic.
The mods have often been helpful when pruning the occasional head explosion out of here.

And my guess is that the change was due to the perception exactly as you say that the IMS? theme has morphed into more of a general discussion thread.

The first post in this whole thread was edited it speak to that.

It's the internet: threads Will morph and evolve - but we need to defer to the wishes of the OP, who does not want the thread title changed.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:11 AM   #19754
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,354
TIM? Wtf...
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #19755
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Changing the thread title without notice or explanation seems lame to me.