Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #19786
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,053
What If we start a thread titled : ¿Mexico es seguro?
Maybe that will throw them off the trail.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:55 PM   #19787
jaratr
Without a ride

Oddometer: 24
I would have to toss my hat in the ring with, "Don't change the title."

Noobs to ADV and international travel might only have the media perspective. Therefore they might search for "Is Mexico Safe?" If their only knowledge about the country is what CNN tells them, then it probably looks like Call of Duty in their mind's eye.

I know this thread has done tons to educate me on Mexico travel than any other. Our experienced travelers, southern neighbors, and expats have divulged quite a bit of helpful info to us all in threads like this one.
jaratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #19788
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Mike mike mike mike!!!!!! It was called " trilogy of terror" with Karen black. I watched it back in the 70s and it scared me shiteless. Then I watched it with my kids about five years ago and they thought it was cheerily hilarious.

I think you are the only other person I have heard reference that movie.
That's it! That's the one!
Now, if it had starred Pamela Wallin it would have left a deeper psychological scar!

Karen Black...I think she starred in every single movie that opened with a wide shot of the Jacques Cartier bridge and then a close up to a window where two people are on a bed in an apartment. Come to think of it, every Canadian movie made back in the '70s had that shot or some slight variation of it.
And Gordon Pinsent.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #19789
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
You can find State Department recommendations here.
Ian, you are young so I will forgive you.
And don't take this personally, I mean to cause you no grief or discomfort for what I am going to say.

This thread exists precisely because the US State Department recommendations are ridiculous. The media hyperbole and scare tactics and total BS that is broadcast constantly regarding Mexico is a disgrace.

If anyone followed the US State Department warnings, nothing would get done. At least in my household!

Some of us live here, we do not like the US State Department. Some of us are not Americans and the US State Department has not particularly endeared us to the good and great people that make up the United States of America.

The US State Department is part of the same political apparatus that ensured that high caliber weapons would end up directly in the hands of criminals in a country where I live and where my family resides.
I don't trust the US State Department.
I trust other riders...for the most part.
I don't trust the Department of Justice or the Department of Whatever.
There is a recent Bob Loblaw quote that applies here.

It is all about trust and integrity on a rider to rider basis.
Things don't get much purer than that.
This thread, bless you Ian and Baldy and all the good folks that make it possible, has introduced me to some of the finest human beings and some of the best riders I could ever hope to meet in my life!
Just last week I had the pleasure of touring around here with a guy who had never ridden Mexico before his big trip, he was on his way back and was so positive about the whole experience it was like a cold beer after a hot day's ride.
Refreshing.
Just yesterday I had a terrific ride with another visiting member of the Is Mexico Safe thread.
If he ever had problems in Mexico, I highly doubt he would enter into litigation with an internet site over it.

Neither ride could provoke a case of the shts like a US State Department Warning always does.

The local newspaper here was questioning the latest US State Department warnings about travel in Veracruz. And rightly so! Personally, I don't care if you change the title or whatever, but referencing the US State Department has me reaching for the bottle of Crown Royal and pouring two fingers for the boys at the table.

Personally, I would like to know who the rider was who provoked the name change so I never turn a wheel with the guy. Not man enough to come forward means zero integrity in my book.

MikeMike screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 04:29 PM
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #19790
Johnny Drunkard
Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 6,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
Mexico used to be safe, but then they changed the title of the thread.

Concerning the thread title, we've (los mods) discussed the merits and pifalls associated with the change and have decided to leave it as is for a number of reasons that won't be discussed here.

Sorry if you disagree amigos, pero es final.
Johnny Drunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:29 PM   #19791
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

MikeMike,
That was what I thought after reading Ian's naive response to me. I went and mixed a Cuba Libre with some Pussers. YumYum ! I haven't any regard for the U.S. State Department and I can't imagine why anyone would consider them to be a credible source of Information.
insert pithy comment here: ( Hello, I'm from the Federal Government and I'm here to help you).
Oops, my Cuba Libre is running low; gotta go.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #19792
subcomm
adrenaline junkie

Oddometer: 161
Scenic road thru the mountains but took me almost 6 hrs today. Average speed about 25 mph. Worth the ride plus P.E. is nice and warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcomm View Post
I am visiting Oaxaca today on the recommendation on a Tricepilot. I want to go to Puerto Escondido tomorrow. What is the road like from here to there? Google maps shows 250km and about 3.5 hrs, is that accurate?
Also, any advice on decent hotels in Puerto Escondido?
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #19793
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
That's it! That's the one!
Now, if it had starred Pamela Wallin it would have left a deeper psychological scar!

Karen Black...I think she starred in every single movie that opened with a wide shot of the Jacques Cartier bridge and then a close up to a window where two people are on a bed in an apartment. Come to think of it, every Canadian movie made back in the '70s had that shot or some slight variation of it.
And Gordon Pinsent.
somebody that makes Nancy Pelosi seem desireable
Old 01-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #19794
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Ian, you are young so I will forgive you.
And don't take this personally, I mean to cause you no grief or discomfort for what I am going to say.
You should have quoted the whole of what I replied to. It was asking for John Kerry's phone number
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #19795
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,519
Just rode in to Monclova (Bato's hometown) from Zacatecas. The Duc was fairly singing across the desert expanse. Zacatecas has to be one of the nicest cities I've ever been in. No safety issues; couple guys were giving me the stink eye at a Pemex in the middle of BFE, so I got on my bike and left.
Traveling in Mexico, OK I can dig it.
PAPA
SJTR

jimmex screwed with this post 01-13-2014 at 06:18 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:20 PM   #19796
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Shhhhh! .......they are watching and listening.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #19797
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 14,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
You said Baldy asked for the change

What is the reason for the change - anything different from the speculation a few posts back?
Baldy did ask for the change. And for the same reasons you speculate. In fact, you can go back and read his post from the first time.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #19798
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drunkard View Post

Concerning the thread title, we've (los mods) discussed the merits and pifalls associated with the change and have decided to leave it as is for a number of reasons that won't be discussed here.

Sorry if you disagree amigos, pero es final.
I was hoping you would change it to "It's hip, it's happening, it's Mexico."
Nothing AARP about that name.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #19799
JayD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian408 View Post
Baldy did ask for the change. And for the same reasons you speculate. In fact, you can go back and read his post from the first time.

Originally Posted by Baldy
Hey folks,

I got a legal notice about this thread, couldn't tell if it was from a lawyer or individual, who said they were subject to violence when they went. The complaint was that some posters created a false sense of security. The ask was to have the thread removed or put a disclaimer in each post.

I don't want to remove it because it seems like a really important topic and a lot of knowledgeable people have spent a lot of time weighing in. And I don't have a way to put a disclaimer in each post and anyway I wouldn't want to editorialize your posts. So I guess the thing to do is make you aware that some people feel you're giving a false sense of security and you might want to add a disclaimer.

Thanks,
Baldy

Baldys site, Baldys rules
but that same rational should apply to every inane
"Is New Orleans safe?" Thread
The Govt of France recently issued travel warning to their citizens coming to New Orleans and we would hate for anyone to think that someone on ADV implied that it is safe to travel here
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #19800
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I was hoping you would change it to "It's hip, it's happening, it's Mexico."
Nothing AARP about that name.
That would require imagination; not just PC