Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #20101
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
Guadalupe Canyon is a neat spot. The dirt road to get there is really easy (note: I was there a year ago). I've done it a few times. Cars make it in there all the time though I don't know how they do it without bashing up their oil pans. If you have ever ridden any dirt before, you should be able to make it with whatever tires are on your bike.

Yeah, kind of rocky in places. I have no idea how a regular car would do it either.

The tough part on a bike is that you really have to take everything you need, as the family living there has nothing to sell you. Well, I managed to buy some gas off them once, but you really need everything for your stay.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #20102
theshnizzle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
A few years ago I saw aa white 2006 hayabusa limited edition like mine for sale in Florida. It had a beautiful hannigan sidecar. Matching white paint with matching decals. Detachable sidecar rig.

I still think about it, obviously

I will not endorse a harley trike. I sold my 02 busa to a guy with the most hideous harley trike in his garage. I felt terrible putting my/his bike in the garage next to that monstrosity. It was like giving your dog away to an abusive owner.

Spyder!

There is a guy in my area with a VFR sidecar rig. Neat.

Offering my unsolicited and worthless opinion.....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #20103
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
New girlfriend wants a Harley trike. I said that I would keep an open mind.
Think she'd settle for this? Brand new!

Motocarro 200cc Estandar 5 Velocidades Peso De Carga 500kg
Precio: $ 33,900 Pesos
Año: 2013
Kilómetros: 0 km

SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #20104
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
Guadalupe Canyon is a neat spot. The dirt road to get there is really easy (note: I was there a year ago). I've done it a few times. Cars make it in there all the time though I don't know how they do it without bashing up their oil pans. If you have ever ridden any dirt before, you should be able to make it with whatever tires are on your bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
Yeah, kind of rocky in places. I have no idea how a regular car would do it either.

The tough part on a bike is that you really have to take everything you need, as the family living there has nothing to sell you. Well, I managed to buy some gas off them once, but you really need everything for your stay.
There was a small store with candy bars, cold sodas, and beer the last couple times I was there (once before the fire and once after). I was in the campground on the south side of the canyon btw
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:12 PM   #20105
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post

Motocarro 200cc Estandar 5 Velocidades Peso De Carga 500kg
Precio: $ 33,900 Pesos
Año: 2013
Kilómetros: 0 km

That should do it.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:31 PM   #20106
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
You could be a valuable addition to any ADVrider group in the event you lose a wheel bearing, say in BFE Peru.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:36 PM   #20107
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Pretty decent travel advisory, IMO. Both accurate and specific enough to be useful for how I travel.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:42 AM   #20108
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Xalapa safe?
Well...let's see now just how up to date my "home and native land's in all thy son's command" embassy really is.
There is a very popular TV program, Voz de Mexico, where the guest amateur singers try out in front of judges who can select them for their "teams" and work with the budding talent and guide them into the music biz. It is modeled on a popular show in the USA and England.
A great young amateur singer participated on the program.
About 2 weeks ago he was taken by force from a house by police or bad guys driving a real police vehicle and wearing real police uniforms.
Massive indignation throughout the state.
Zero response from the pendejos that are the government.
Now, two days ago, he shows up dead at the side of the road on the route I take to my favorite leña along with his buddy that was also taken by force.
According to the State government official version, they denied any police vehicle was involved, even though there were cel phone pictures taken of it, they deny the number exists for any police vehicle like that even though it fits the sequence of numbers, and they say that there was a shoot out between kidnappers and cops who were doing their usual duty to protect citizens (uh huh, yep, that's the ticket) and when the smoke cleared, lo and behold, there were the bodies.
But no bodies of the bad guys.
Surprisingly, the Canadian embassy doesn't know of the daily disruptions and discontent with marching teachers protesting in Xalapa, the campesinos protesting in Xalapa, etc...who are often removed by brute and brutal force by the police which is akin to the Gestapo these days.
In fact, most people consider Xalapa to be less safe than Veracruz.
Ok, this of course has little to do with traveling motorcyclists who don't sing or teach in schools here. But it does reflect on how behind the curve the embassy is and it really doesn't rely on much local information, merely what it gets fed as far as stats or what some bureaucrat might read in the national press. So if the story doesn't move nationally, and a lot don't because of the repression and censorship of the news by the Peña Nieto administration (though very transparent according to them, heard that one before??) it never happened.
Though the embassy did kindly alert me to the epidemic of some sort of illness...in the Caribbean islands...the other day. I don't want to sound ungrateful.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:20 AM   #20109
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Here's the full story and the official version does not add up:
“Fue la policía”!

20 January, 2014 06:01:00

* Versión del Procurador no concuerda con la presencia de la patrulla No.201778 en la casa de Gibran el día 7
* Desde el día 11 la familia del cantante de la Voz México denunció que al joven se lo había llevado una patrulla

Por Manuel Hernández
Reportero de Notiver

Desde el pasado once de enero la familia del joven Gibran David Martíz Díaz, cantante ahora finado de la Voz México, habría manifestado que fueron elementos de la Policía Estatal, adherida a la SSP, los que se llevaron cantante que ayer dijo el procurador Amadeo Flores, fue encontrado sin vida tras un enfrentamiento con personas desconocidas.

Los hechos se trasladan al pasado siete de enero cuando por la tarde, la unidad No. 201778 con placas 00-71-91 de la policía estatal de Veracruz, se llevaron al joven que estaba en el interior de su casa, según denunciara su familia.

La policía entró por la fuerza al inmueble ubicado en Ferrocarril Interoceánico #124 de la colonia 7 de Noviembre, segundo piso y con lujo de violencia fue detenido Gibran David Martiz Díaz.

Cuatro días más tarde, el hermano de Gibran, Erick Martiz, subió a las redes sociales una foto para dar con el paradero de su hermano, en la fotografía se ve muy claro la presencia de una patrulla a lado de la vivienda, la pregunta era, ¿dónde estás Gibran?

La familia denunció los hechos con la esperanza de que al habérselo llevado elementos de la ley, estuviera con vida.

Pero no.

Pasaron nueve días, ayer el procurador dio a conocer que Gibran David Martiz Diaz murió, y no solo eso.

Dijo el Procurador que el sábado a las diez de la noche recibieron una denuncia ciudadana de que en la carretera Huatusco-Conejos había hombres armados.

Acudió la policía, los uniformados recibieron agresión de los delincuentes, balazos, se escucharon frecuentes detonaciones, dijo Amadeo, “al efectuar una inspección en el área localizaron los cuerpos de dos personas sin vida, entre ellas a Gibrán David Martiz Díaz y la otra persona, amigo de Gibran”, no pueden dar el nombre de su amigo porque es menor de edad.

Los vehículos, dijo Procurador tienen reporte de robo en el Estado de México, encontraron también uniformes policiales de diversas corporaciones, un chaleco táctico, cuatro armas largas, cuatro cortas, cuatro cartucheras, 105 cartuchos útiles, así como dos bolsas con aproximadamente un kilo de hierba verde.

Dijo que la investigación se lleva a cabo en el Ministerio Público de Cardel.

Esta versión no concuerda con las acusaciones de la familia de Gibran, ¿por qué si se los llevó la policía qué hacían en manos de los delincuentes?

Cabe destacar que la muerte del joven ha causado gran polémica en la sociedad veracruzana así como condolencias a la familia.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #20110
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

She could earn a little money out here in the oil patch doing deliveries on the dirt roads.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #20111
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post

Spyder!

From my misspent youth I remember reading a textbook on auto chassis design and there was a comment to the effect that on a three-wheeled vehicle two wheels up front is inherently more stable than one up front.

With that said and done I had looked into the Spyders before for the ex-girlfriend (yes, the one that eventually stole my motorhome ) and they have an intriguing history. Not the least of which being that they are highly electronic. There was a guy here at ADVRider who commented that he was a rider at a secret test several years before Can Am put them on sale and before they had worked out the electronics. He said that without electronics they were practically impossible to ride.

A lot of people say they are unreliable but I did track down a guy who had been doing Iron Butt events on his. He sold it at 100K miles and bought another one and told me that he never had any trouble.

I am just not much of a fan of Harleys. But at this point I don't know if I'm going to get my balance back in the next year or two (at which point I might buy her a Harley trike and just stick to my own two-wheeled bike) and/or if we are going to do any touring on the thing or if we'd just trailer to an event and ride locally.

Frankly, after 30 years of racing bicycles and 40 years of motorcycle touring (they overlap - I'm not past 70 yet ) if my two wheel days are behind me I don't have a problem whatsoever with getting an SUV and driving to Mazatlan. At this point in life I don't feel like I have anything to prove. Some of the tales of old phartes reminds me of olde pharte bicycle racing - if you couldn't beat So-and-so in your teens or in college it's kinda pointless to put on Lycra shorts in your middle age years after both of you have had knee and hip replacements.

So I'll probably get a Spyder just for grins and giggles because I am curious and a used one is relatively affordable.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #20112
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
Just a thought. I'm not a big fan of wearing something around my neck when riding single track. An errant branch through a loop around your neck Just something to consider
Bisbonian uses a retractable lanyard, like key chain reel for his point and shoot. It's not around the neck. Don't know the brand or how much camera it can handle. Just a thought
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:37 AM   #20113
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I have found that camera lanyards severely interfere with my gold rope bling bling jewelery I wear.

PJ, the Spyder is cheap because it is as tough to get rid of as a condominium in Miami, an 80's Yugo, or a case of new strain Far Eastern clap. Though the clap is likely to be successfully taken care of before the Spyder. Those things are like boats. No matter how much coin Bombardier (bless their Canuck origin souls) pumped into advertising, the things are something akin to halfway and poorly done sex change surgery.
You will feel confused.
You will look confused.
For example, the State police here have a pair, a commander rides around on one like John Wayne with only a ball cap, no helmet. One of them hit a truck the other night, luckily at a slow speed and the guy was launched over the truck. If he had been launched into the truck he would have been killed. A study was done here that, with maintenance and necessary accessories fitted, the cost was that of a Jeep but the Spyder was useless in the rain, useless in the cold, and useless during operations for carrying weapons and extra cops. In short, a waste of time and money.
A sidecar doesn't mean your old lady has to ride in it. Hell, you can put an Airedale terrier in it and people will think you are from New England or the Woodlands or some place. Put your gear in the car, put your lady behind you (wait, that isn't worded right, or maybe it is?) or put a lady behind you and then hit the road.
The sidecar, without the old lady on the back will probably have all the wealthy socialite widows in Lake Chapala swooning all over you like a chapter out of 50 Shades of Sidecar.
If you opt for the Spyder, you'll be drinking flavored vodkas and discussing flower arrangements and feng shui.
A la chingada con la araña.
Riding that Spyder means you'll look like some kind of Comic Con Bladerunner extra metrosexual.
That sht just ain't right. I don't even know you and I can tell you that.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #20114
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,939
I might have posted this before. I use a CB mic keeper bought from a truck stop. I clip it to the jacket and I keep the camera in a jacket pocket. Works great. There are two sizes, the smaller one works great for the camera.

LINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Bisbonian uses a retractable lanyard, like key chain reel for his point and shoot. It's not around the neck. Don't know the brand or how much camera it can handle. Just a thought
Old 01-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #20115
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
I might have posted this before. I use a CB mic keeper bought from a truck stop. I clip it to the jacket and I keep the camera in a jacket pocket. Works great. There are two sizes, the smaller one works great for the camera.

LINK
Bob Loblaw has the exact same thing for the fly on his riding pants.