Old 01-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #20101
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
..."touch screen friendly"...
I have a few pairs of those.
Would gladly trade them for ones that are not "touch screen friendly".
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #20102
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Thanks PJ, sometime we'll have to swap beach shots.
I hope Trice gets Baja good and bags a few vistas for us.

Your photos are artsy. Very nice!

My still photography is more academic and I try to tell stories. And sometimes have a little fun. But what I have been doing is much more nuts and bolts.

If you guys are getting together to discuss moto photography I will have to say that suddenly I really regret that I am stuck in the Texas desert because that's a conversation that I'd love to attend.

And Trice, I was looking at your post and list of equipment. I am impressed! I'll be following your travels and am very interested in your photographic experiences, past and in the future.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #20103
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
If you have balance problems related to inner ear, try a sidecar rig. A friend of mine did that and along with the medication for the afliction, it kept him on the road. Unlike a scooter or a Rubenesque lady, you dont have to regret your friends catching you mounted on and riding one!

Note to Trice: Please turn off all recording devices when behind los nopalitos. Mexico already has "El Tigre de Santa Julia". Bet Arte knows that expression ja, ja!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:21 PM   #20104
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
if you have balance problems related to inner ear, try a sidecar rig. A friend of mine did that and along with the medication for the afliction, it kept him on the road. Unlike a scooter or a rubenesque lady, you dont have to regret your friends catching you mounted on and riding one!
+1
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #20105
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
http://travel.gc.ca/destinations/mexico

Killjoys.....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #20106
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
If you have balance problems related to inner ear, try a sidecar rig. A friend of mine did that and along with the medication for the afliction, it kept him on the road. Unlike a scooter or a Rubenesque lady, you dont have to regret your friends catching you mounted on and riding one!

Note to Trice: Please turn off all recording devices when behind los nopalitos. Mexico already has "El Tigre de Santa Julia". Bet Arte knows that expression ja, ja!
Yep

Jajaja!

But if has to go behind the nopalera, just watch out for the ants trail before sit down...- I know by first hand.... Hahaha

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #20107
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
We strongly recommend travel to Mexico by air...

That happens when you hit a tope too fast
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:38 PM   #20108
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536
Palabra del Dia

Last time we saw the word
Comprar : to buy

Yo compro : I buy

Yo necesito comprar : I need to buy

Today's word : Ladrones
Old 01-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #20109
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I plan to go down on Friday 1/31 and spend the weekend around Joshua Tree, then over to San Diego on Monday 2/3 for the two day work thing - then down to Mexico Wednesday evening, maybe to Tecate. Looking for ideas on where to go (though I am tempted just to go to Guadalupe Canyon and soak - I would still like to have something better than Avon Gripsters for that road).
Guadalupe Canyon is a neat spot. The dirt road to get there is really easy (note: I was there a year ago). I've done it a few times. Cars make it in there all the time though I don't know how they do it without bashing up their oil pans. If you have ever ridden any dirt before, you should be able to make it with whatever tires are on your bike.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #20110
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

A multiple beer discussion. Several friends have said that this is likely to get better. MD says it should get better. I can still ride on 2 wheels, it's just that I can't do it consistently. And weird things like crosswinds, bridges and horizons that I cannot locate quickly throw me off.

I have been fighting this for years. I have ridden for several years with a 2nd GPS that displayed altitude. Sometimes if I got a panicy moment I'd look over at the altitude and could tell if I was ascending or descending and that worked.

I had ridden from Florida into Mexico for several years like that so before I decided to get old I was pretty tough. Or stupid.

Anyway, the conversation about photography and documenting tours is timely. Before my vertigo set in I had asked a couple of people here (including Schizz incidentally, before he got that burr under his saddle) if they were interested in doing a series of rides for "commercial purposes." Part of my thought process at the time was to get a Can Am Spyder and use that as a camera vehicle.

Of course, at the time I planned to ride on two wheels. And get someone else to ride the Spyder.

Flash forward to today. Girlfriends have changed (and that's part of the equation). Priorities have changed. Circumstances have changed tremendously.

New girlfriend wants a Harley trike. I said that I would keep an open mind.

I told her a few days ago (and re-emphasized today) that a Spyder is probably in the budget for later this year. She doesn't know yet that I am working on a deal for a BMW F650 Dakar to explore around this part of Texas but I sorta mentioned the idea and she didn't tell me to move my crap out of her house.

I was on the phone today with Bob's BMW about a Hannigan trike built around a K1600GTL. They wanted $50K. I pointed out that I could get one from another source for about $12K less equipped the same way. I think the salesman was not happy when I told him that.

I had been kicking around a trike based on a K1200LT. I used to own a standard K12. The price is quite a bit less than a K16 but I have to say that the prospect of a K16 makes me a lot happier with the whole situation.

I was watching a video about the fancy communications package (and I have been around so long that I knew the guy narrating ) and one thought that I had was that I could see integrating audio, communications, and camera controls on that platform.

"If you want to hear God laugh then tell him your plans." - the band Van Zant.

One weird irony is that Hannigan - the trike and sidecar folks - list a trailer for a 2-wheel bike to be towed behind their trikes. I could see that. Ride a trike down the Mexican toll roads and use the F650 for local stuff. Or rough stuff.

Back to the ranch, I know a bunch of old codgers that ride Urals and other sidecar rigs. I am on some mailing lists for GS riders going into North Africa with sidecar rigs. Just saw some photos of a heavily Touratech equipped sidecar rig based on a new watercooled R1200GS which I will bet cost a ton. Frankly, I am not that fond of sidecars and The Girlfriend flat out says she won't ride in one, so I doubt that is going to be an option.

We shall see.

Two years ago I was trailering my R1150GS back from Motohank's place (the Texas riders know him) when the driveshaft on my Land Rover broke and cracked the transmission. For the 2nd time.

A few weeks later my ex- girlfriend hired some stupidshits to steal my diesel pusher motorhome. I am getting ready to sue them but at the time they claimed everything from a repossession (she had secretly managed to change the title to her name) to her being my common law wife (WTF? ) so everyone has evaded prosecution. She's living in Florida under the assumed name of a dead woman and I later found out that she had stolen everything that I had in storage while simultaneously claiming to be homeless and asking me for help. I lost my motorhome (which basically meant that I was jobless and homeless), my custom trailer vanished, along with $15,000 worth of my tools and personal property.

So it's been a tough last few years.

You nicely offered advice. In exchange I equate that to you asking for the time and I told you, in detail, how to make a watch.

Right now I think that I have turned the corner financially. But it's been a struggle.

Even though we are only 70 miles from the border and in a county that is 75% Latin the girlfriend is afraid to hit the border towns where I am obviously comfortable. Even her daughter, who I get along with, called me and asked me to stop encouraging her to go into Mexico.

So I am trying to encourage her that riding into Mexico isn't a bad or death defying thing.

If I live long enough (and I am 2 months shy of 58 and both my dad and my grandfather died suddenly at 59) I totally expect to be back in Mexico and riding. Or touring in an SUV. Or dragging my vintage Avion trailer behind my vintage Nissan UD tractor.

So once again we shall see.

We shall see.

I have traveled, traveled, and traveled for decades. By bicycle, by Mercedes, by airplane (my least favorite), by Range Rover, by Porsche, and by motorcycle.

I totally expect to be either dead or back to traveling in the next year to two.

But as far as sidecars go (and I do appreciate the advice) I am leaning towards a trike. The Spyder appeals to me on an intellectual basis but some folks say they are reliable, some other folks say they are too quirky and prone to breakdown, and many folks swear by their conventional trikes.

I started an argument with the Iron Butt Association, where I used to have some clout, about allowing trikes into the IB Rally. So you see where I am going

We will all hook up sooner or later and have some laughs. But for me it's probably at least later in the year.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #20111
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Last time we saw the word
Comprar : to buy

Yo compro : I buy

Yo necesito comprar : I need to buy

Klingon merchant motto: "Buy or die!"

Sorry. Had to throw that in.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #20112
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I took my right-hand glove and cut off the fingertips. The 870 will ride on a lanyard around my neck.
Just a thought. I'm not a big fan of wearing something around my neck when riding single track. An errant branch through a loop around your neck Just something to consider
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #20113
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post

I was looking into air travel from Texas to Mazatlan for my girlfriend, who is concerned to travel by highway. Something like $700 and 24 hours with 2 layovers. That's silly since you can drive it in 48 hours with the new toll road. And I can pretty well guarantee that if the Bad Guys try stopping tourist traffic on the new roads the Armada will be flying down there with attack helicopters.

Crazy stuff.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #20114
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
Guadalupe Canyon is a neat spot. The dirt road to get there is really easy (note: I was there a year ago). I've done it a few times. Cars make it in there all the time though I don't know how they do it without bashing up their oil pans. If you have ever ridden any dirt before, you should be able to make it with whatever tires are on your bike.

Yeah, kind of rocky in places. I have no idea how a regular car would do it either.

The tough part on a bike is that you really have to take everything you need, as the family living there has nothing to sell you. Well, I managed to buy some gas off them once, but you really need everything for your stay.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:39 PM   #20115
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
A few years ago I saw aa white 2006 hayabusa limited edition like mine for sale in Florida. It had a beautiful hannigan sidecar. Matching white paint with matching decals. Detachable sidecar rig.

I still think about it, obviously

I will not endorse a harley trike. I sold my 02 busa to a guy with the most hideous harley trike in his garage. I felt terrible putting my/his bike in the garage next to that monstrosity. It was like giving your dog away to an abusive owner.

Spyder!

There is a guy in my area with a VFR sidecar rig. Neat.

Offering my unsolicited and worthless opinion.....
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote