Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #20176
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
I have someone going to mexico tonight. What is the map called than can be purchased there? Goji roji? I forget.
Also, someone mentioned about a spiral book of mexico maps or something like that.
The guy has offeredcto bring back any maps or info I need so I need to jump on it quick.
Guia Roji. Before this year they were spiral bound but they are just soft covers now. Don't lay flat on the table.

The rigged pump is a gas pump that is not calibrated and shows that more gas has been pumped than actually was. Some of this is bad maintenance, some is deliberate. There is also the habit of draining the pump hose at self serve stations. When the pump comes on, the hose fills up and registers on the dial. I fill a 3 liter gas can and they manage to get more than 3 liters in it at times even when it is on the fill line in the can. It's not a lot but it will add up when you are filling the Suburban.
Turkeycreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #20177
theshnizzle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
This?.....

http://www.mexicomaps.com/mexico_roa...104COM3DB8FCC5

And they used to have this, but I guess not anymore...

http://www.mexicomaps.com/mexico_roa...so?itemid=3332
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #20178
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,567
Quote:

No more spiral book map from Guia Roji, the 2014 edition is regular glued book $250 pesos, (I liked better the spiral one)

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:35 PM   #20179
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
The rigged pump is one where the computer chip has been altered.
I haven't seen a Pemex pump like the old style for a long time.
Unless you are measuring the pour, you really have no idea what is happening.
They dont do it for any great amount, small amount over a long period of time.
Attendants know the fail to zero approach will not work with bikes.
Locals often know who is rigging pumps and where.
PROFECO checks more often and closes stations often for more than a year but not enough stations.

The biggest issues facing a non-Spanish speaking rider, or marginal Spanish speaking rider will be distraction because then there is:

Bill switching

Receiving a counterfeit bill

Short change

Rarely theft of items

Gas up before crossing the border into Mexico. Shtholes like Matamoros ade crawling with guys who love to prey on travelers. They know you do not want to get into a fight over a relatively small amount and you lack of Spanish wont help.
Maybe AndyT will enlighten us as to just what you would have to go through to swear out a complaint since he doesnt like a Monday morning quarterback explaining things.

Prevent problems by looking like you know what you are doing.
The zero of the pump protocol is standard operating procedure at Pemex stations, acknowledge it with a grunt because you have no idea what the computer in the pump is doing.

Carry SMALL BILLS like 100 peso notes in your drop wallet if you carry one.
Have change, dont go messing with 500 peso notes for 115 pesos in fuel.
Pay attention.
Always tip the Pemex attendant a few pesos. They will appreciate it because that is their primary source of income.
Keep peso coins available if you encounter a shhtr with an electronic lock.
Buy you sheets if tbere is a woman selling paper on the way in and she will probably already have pointed to the 3 of 5 peso sign. 5 pesos is robbery but yhe alternative is behind the nopalitos.
Dont leave your GPS cell or Spot device sitting on the bike. Most Pemex theft is not from attendants but from people passing through.
Sometimes kids will want to sit on your bike, everyone will ask how much it cost and how fast it will go. Many attendants are pochos that big bad Barrack has sent home and speak some English.

In short:
Have change and small bills ready
Dont pay much attention to the "Esta en zeroes" comment, just a quick si or a nod is fine
Do not get distracted
Look like you have a clue
Count your change
Tip the attendant a few pesos

I will always take the pump handle from the attendant and fill my own tank, the little bit that TC talks about is like he says. Goes a long way over 20 years!

Be careful when pulling in because drivers are distracted, the stop area is painted and slick with oil and drippings from cars and trucks, and Pemex attendants are always fckn with the water hose and dousing the slick painted stop areas.

Make sure the air compressor is on and the hose has pressure or you might lower your tire to a point you have to drag out your pump.

Some Pemex stations have a long chrome air chuck that will not fit to the valve properly. Carry a 90 degree fitting adaptor or a flexible valve extension and keep it handy so you dont have all your sht strung out over thd parking area as you go rooting around for it.

There is your short guide to a Pemex fill up.
It is very easy if you just have small bills and dont look like a gringo who is an easy mark.
Avoid a Pemex around 7am at shift change, they usually close a pump island for up to 10 minutes, enough to cause a back up.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #20180
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:

Take a look at Ty's ride report today for a good look at a place tha has existed for a long time and isn't in the Roji.
There are mistakes in the Roji but you likely wont notice them.
For what it is, it works ok. But dont expect much rural detail.
There is good riding on roads the Roji doesnt show you.
Arte will tell you the same.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:55 PM   #20181
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

I don't look at my coins that closely and noticed awhile back that someone slipped me some sort of amusement park token.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #20182
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

Yes.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:07 PM   #20183
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,282
Quote:
I have someone going to mexico tonight. What is the map called than can be purchased there? Goji roji? I forget.
Also, someone mentioned about a spiral book of mexico maps or something like that.
The guy has offeredcto bring back any maps or info I need so I need to jump on it quick.
You can get it faster on Amazon. The last I got was spiral.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #20184
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
"Here’s to freedom, cheers to art. Here’s to having an excellent adventure and may the stopping never start."

- Jason Mraz
"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."

-Pancho Villa

Enjoy Baja!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #20185
cwc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Where is your person going in Mexico. If to Chihuahua I can supply a GPS waypoint or screen shot of a map for a Librero that has always had the Guia Roji in stock. I would not be TOO concerned about the date. There will be some stuff wrong on a 2010 issue, but that goes for a 2014 issue too.

Other useful maps are available electronically.

Google Maps and "Maps With Me " (an android app) come to mind.

Maps With Me will let you download the whole country if you like. It appears to be based on "Open Street Maps" and is quite accurate. I use it in a 7" android tablet which also lets me Skype and email if there is wifi.

Google maps is good, but will only let you download a limited map. Works good if you have wifi or phone connection.

DR350 It'll get you there

My Ride Reports Here
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #20186
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The rigged pump is one where the computer chip has been altered.
I haven't seen a Pemex pump like the old style for a long time.
Unless you are measuring the pour, you really have no idea what is happening.
They dont do it for any great amount, small amount over a long period of time.
Attendants know the fail to zero approach will not work with bikes.
Locals often know who is rigging pumps and where.
PROFECO checks more often and closes stations often for more than a year but not enough stations.

The biggest issues facing a non-Spanish speaking rider, or marginal Spanish speaking rider will be distraction because then there is:

Bill switching

Short change

Rarely theft of items

Gas up before crossing the border into Mexico. Shtholes like Matamoros ade crawling with guys who love to prey on travelers. They know you do not want to get into a fight over a relatively small amount and you lack of Spanish wont help.
Maybe AndyT will enlighten us as to just what you would have to go through to swear out a complaint since he doesnt like a Monday morning quarterback explaining things.

Prevent problems by looking like you know what you are doing.
The zero of the pump protocol is standard operating procedure at Pemex stations, acknowledge it with a grunt because you have no idea what the computer in the pump is doing.

Carry SMALL BILLS like 100 peso notes in your drop wallet if you carry one.
Have change, dont go messing with 500 peso notes for 115 pesos in fuel.
Pay attention.
Always tip the Pemex attendant a few pesos. They will appreciate it because that is their primary source of income.
Keep peso coins available if you encounter a shhtr with an electronic lock.
Buy you sheets if tbere is a woman selling paper on the way in and she will probably already have pointed to the 3 of 5 peso sign. 5 pesos is robbery but yhe alternative is behind the nopalitos.
Dont leave your GPS cell or Spot device sitting on the bike. Most Pemex theft is not from attendants but from people passing through.
Sometimes kids will want to sit on your bike, everyone will ask how much it cost and how fast it will go. Many attendants are pochos that big bad Barrack has sent home and speak some English.

In short:
Have change and small bills ready
Dont pay much attention to the "Esta en zeroes" comment, just a quick si or a nod is fine
Do not get distracted
Look like you have a clue
Count your change
Tip the attendant a few pesos

I will always take the pump handle from the attendant and fill my own tank, the little bit that TC talks about is like he says. Goes a long way over 20 years!

Be careful when pulling in because drivers are distracted, the stop area is painted and slick with oil and drippings from cars and trucks, and Pemex attendants are always fckn with the water hose and dousing the slick painted stop areas.

Make sure the air compressor is on and the hose has pressure or you might lower your tire to a point you have to drag out your pump.

Some Pemex stations have a long chrome air chuck that will not fit to the valve properly. Carry a 90 degree fitting adaptor or a flexible valve extension and keep it handy so you dont have all your sht strung out over thd parking area as you go rooting around for it.

There is your short guide to a Pemex fill up.
It is very easy if you just have small bills and dont look like a gringo who is an easy mark.
Avoid a Pemex around 7am at shift change, they usually close a pump island for up to 10 minutes, enough to cause a back up.
WOW !! MM, you're a Pemex expert!!

One more thing, if you have an almost empty tank, that can drink more than 20 liters, then just ask the attendant to give you exactly 20 liters.

the tricked pumps are prepared to return to normal dispensing status when 20 liters is punched in their system.

Why? the PROFECO (Mexican agency auditing the consumer rights) utilizes a 20 Lt jug to audit the gas stations, the auditor ask the pump to fill the jug with 20 ltrs and proceeds to measure it. The pump (software) is prepared to dispense exactly 20 ltrs whenever be asked for exact 20 lt. Otherwise can dispense liters of 900 ml.

I know, I know, most of the times we do not need to refill more than 15 Lt on the bike...

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:48 PM   #20187
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
As for windshield washers at filling stations , it is also a pain when the squeegee kids at intersections on cities start spraying soapy water before you realize what is going on.
Give a very loud and firm NO GRACIAS and a wagging finger.
They cause more scratching than you need with all the dead bees loaded with road grit being ground around..If a clean windshield is desired
do it yourself in the morning with lots of water and gentle cleaner.
Or just look over top of the shield and wait for a rainy day to eventually
wash offost of the bugs.
Nothing wrong with napkins , they flush just as well as toilet paper. Just don't you
go native and start dropping them in the corner after use. ! Into the thunder mug they go!
As a true tourist you should always carry a roll of toilet paper( TP or AW for you genteel types)
And Shnizzle, since you are coming from Canada where it is available, do get the DUKORAL. treatment, it will save you in misery and toilet paper costs more than its price .
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #20188
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I found the majority of the PEMEX attendants to be pretty friendly. Initially, until I got into the swing of things as to how it works there, I did the ole >Point, Grunt, Si, head nod thing. Acting pre-occupied but watching like a hawk. They would get my attention and head nod showing the ZERO and then pump. This worked for a while until they want to talk about the bike. By then, the gas is pumped, I paid my tab and provided an unexpected tip. So now, if they don't have a line, we talk and they soon figure out this GRINGO does not speak spanish too well. However, they are patient and we do converse. Maybe it was the tip. After a while, the PEMEX stops where great for practicing my ESPANOL. I did notice that the female attendants would offer me the nozzle so I can pump my own gas .
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #20189
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Having multiple maps would be a good thing. What's the Canadian version of our AAA? They have maps free if you're a member. The book store also carries them. The one thing I noticed, there are no PERFECT MAPS. They are all missing something. However, SJoerd's book is a great reference for identifying your route. He list the towns that will take you from point A - B if you want to go that route. I would write the major city names and roads down on a piece of paper, stick it in the corner window of my map window and refer to it as needed.

My GPS went down on day 3 of my trip. Good thing I had map(S) in hand and studied them prior to leaving. That GPS not working was the best thing that ever happened. I was forced to know my surroundings and not depend on the GPS to tell me to run here, there and u turn. Sounds weird but made a big difference in my understanding of Mexico and it's layout.

My $0.02
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #20190
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
As a true tourist you should always carry a roll of toilet paper( TP or AW for you genteel types)

Of course, that's the difference between those of you that ride into rural areas and those of us that hit beach resorts. I remember a maid in a Mazatlan beach hotel that saw my TP roll in my luggage, pointed it out to a friend, and they both proceeded to giggle.

Guess that they thought that all gringos didn't think that Mexicans were civilized enough to use poo paper.

Sjoerd is absolutely right, of course. You have to ride through rural areas to get to most cities. And sometimes you run into weird situations. A few years back a friend and I were outside Matamoros on the way to Victoria and still east of the little oasis at Fernando. We came across a Pemex that had been trashed in a hurricane. There wasn't a single window left in the place, and no furniture or counters inside whatsoever except for two guys sitting in the dark at a card table collecting money to use the john. They had a roll of poo paper that they let you have once you paid the toilet rental fee, but having an extra roll in the luggage as a backup plan was good insurance.