Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 04:44 PM   #20716
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,990
A lot of people don't know that some of the Cristeros were really annoyed that teachers didn't join the cause and they lopped ears off of some teachers. In Teziutlan, three were murdered and a teacher was burned alive in Tlapacoyan. This was after the Cristero movement had begun to factionalize and before it was forced to disintegrate.
That book that Arte posted really stirred things up some time ago.
Havent seen it at Sanborns in some time.
The Cristero movie was mostly fiction, very loosely based on the real events.
A Cristero was blamed for the assassination of Obregon, but they found three different calibers of bullets in him. Mexican textbooks usually overlook that.
They also gloss over Tlateloco in 68.
A woman was run over and killed by a...wait for it...white Suburban in Xalapa, yesterday. Avoid them.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:59 PM   #20717
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
If anyone can locate that book in an English edition, give me a shout. Most interested in that.
Shout
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:01 PM   #20718
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
A woman was run over and killed by a...wait for it...white Suburban in Xalapa, yesterday. Avoid them.
WTF?!?!

Wow.... I've been lurking and some of the things mentioned about these large vehicles riding in Mexico. I had a flashback or two during my trip. large blacked out SUVs anywhere makes me put my antennas up and avoid.
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:24 PM   #20719
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Great ride report Ty!

LINK
Old 02-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #20720
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Traveling in Mexico thread OP, Arte, and Ty:

Old 02-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #20721
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Great ride report Ty!

LINK

Thank you Trice
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #20722
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Traveling in Mexico thread OP, Arte, and Ty:

The restaurant where we had breakfast was one of the few ones that still allows to smoke inside...

is not so pleasant while you eat, but it reminded me about my bad habit while I'm on a riding trip..

and as a side note... I'm still drooling about Ty's riding outfit (Klim Badland Pro set) damn! the best gear I've ever seen!! Kudos for you Ty!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 02-07-2014 at 09:27 PM
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:07 AM   #20723
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Darker News

Judging from some of the recent reports some of Mexico has turned toward the darker side. It is a bit disturbing, knowing how fast things can change down there. I am having some reservations about making my next trip. It appears that another year into the Peña Nieto administration has shifted things in a more troubling direction. When I made my comment about Mike Mike/Cujo I had not read his hair raising tale of the white suburban with armed men. One of my lasting impressions of riding in Mexico was how many young men with automatic weapons I saw running around there. They are not a good mix. Young men with automatic weapons can make very bad mistakes. Review some of the darker history of the "American War" in Vietnam. Maybe we have enjoyed a quiescent period as riders in Mexico and are starting to feel some backlash?

As to the comment about BMW riding clubs: I have a good friend in one of the Mexico City Clubs. You could not meet a nicer, more generous or considerate guy (except maybe Alberto Clave in SMA). I was invited to a party with these guys and there was none of that stuff with models and paparazzi, though I have no doubt that it exists. Clearly this was a different class of Mexicans than I met on most of my trip but they were serious riders on serious machines and the best of us (I am not in that category) would have trouble keeping up with them. They were largely a joyful and exuberant group of all ages who like to ride hard and fast. Yes, there were many BMW branded riding jackets and a few of the aforementioned turtle necks. Not my choice of gear but when they left for their ride earlier that morning the temp in DF was hovering near 0 C. My friend had told me earlier: "you should probably not try to ride with us" friendly advice well taken.

There has been a lot of friendly advice here lately about some very unfriendly situations. I take heed but am still itching to have my wheels turning on some Mexican roads. I wish that the riders who had an "incident" on the West Coast would tell their tale. First person accounts of experiences are useful to all of us who would ride in Mexico.

Riding anything other than a dinged up Italika sets you off no matter what logos you are sporting. So does good safety gear.

rockymountainoyster screwed with this post 02-08-2014 at 03:11 AM Reason: Added thought.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:51 AM   #20724
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
I too, wish to hear a bout what happened to the riders on the west coast as thats where I will be headed and I will be alone. A shout out to whomever you are, even if you pm me as it could be very valuable info for me a female riding solo.

Only if you are comfortable doing so though. I respect whatever reasons you may have about keeping it to youselves. Even if the incident MAY and I say MAY strongly here , have been triggered by a riders action, I am just spitballing here, its still something that can be a valuble learning experience for others.

Again , its your choice to share or not but whatever hapened, hopefully all who were involved came out safely and none worse for the wear.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:58 AM   #20725
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 833
On a lighter note the picture of arte and ty.....Caliente! !...
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:25 AM   #20726
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,990
I still think these events, though deserving full attention, are few and far between enough not to warrant anyone not returning.
Things are different in each region of Mexico, the Michoacan area is a known hotspot, not unlike Compton for example back in the late 80s. When I was in Los Angeles I never went there, and I know that Schnizzle wouldnt go into Jane and Finch or Driftwood Ave. etc in North York.
Few Mexicans are doing travel to Michoacan, riders should know this, for those of us that live here like Andres, Arte, Kiko, SR, TurkeyC, etc... we literally watch events and things develop and pick up a lot of useful info just in daily conversation with people here. I also believe that none of us try to speculate, we do draw conclusions based on facts we have.
Based on what I know and what I have seen on how many riders on this thread roll, I dont see problems as long as known trouble areas are avoided. It also gets people out of the rut of their regular routes and gets them exploring some other very nice and very safe areas of Mexico.
For example, northern Puebla is an amazing area that goes largely unridden.
Terrific food, great history, accommodating and friendly areas. Few riders on here have really sampled what is there.

A rider's attitude can provoke problems, no doubt. But that rider is not the one driving the vehicle that is driving erratically, not the one who is drunk and showing off, not the one who is talking on a cell phone, not the one who is distracted etc... The rider is, more often than not, the one who is trying to avoid those other drivers. When drivers insist upon committing dangerous acts knowingly, their attention must be brought to how it affects a rider. How you choose to do this is up to you, in my humble opinion anyways.

MikeMike screwed with this post 02-08-2014 at 05:54 AM
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #20727
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
I dont see problems as long as known trouble areas are avoided.
being about two months away from my trip these discussions do concern me a bit...I would like to hear what your opinions are of areas I should avoid, be cautious, and be able to relax a bit.

Also would be interested to hear if there are any visible signs of recognition that the criminal elements utilize, like gang colors. I know there probably isn't but thought I would ask.

Also can someone some up the particular groups and there area of operations i.e Zetas, Knights Templar. It would be nice to have this put together.

I am going regardless, I just want to be better educated.

Thanks in advance.
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #20728
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 859
Living here, you start to adjust to things like soldiers, cops and private security guards walking around with automatic rifles. WE had 10 state cops come into the hotel one evening all carry M-16 variants and pistols. They wanted rooms. Mrs. TC checked them in an told then hotel rules prohibit shooting after 10pm. I has a private security crew, armed similarly, decline to stay with us because I wouldn't discount enough to suit them. Adjust.

As we say, it's Mexico. I happy I'm here and anxious to get back on my bike.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:26 AM   #20729
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeguy View Post
being about two months away from my trip these discussions do concern me a bit...I would like to hear what your opinions are of areas I should avoid, be cautious, and be able to relax a bit.

Also would be interested to hear if there are any visible signs of recognition that the criminal elements utilize, like gang colors. I know there probably isn't but thought I would ask.

Also can someone some up the particular groups and there area of operations i.e Zetas, Knights Templar. It would be nice to have this put together.

I am going regardless, I just want to be better educated.

Thanks in advance.
here is a link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10681249

I take issue with central Sonora being shown as "disputed" El Chapo has it locked down here and aside from a few instances where cartel members have been harshly "disciplined", it is pretty calm
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #20730
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Mexico with a Pig

KustomizingKid was robbed twice last week on the ferry from Mazatlán to La Paz

Story in the RR above or individual link HERE

He intoned that it was bad enough to lose camera gear, but he especially laments that all his trip photos on the memory cards are gone.

This is a world wide travel concern, not just limited to Mexico

Last summer in Rome I saw travelers with mini luggage locks on their backpack zippers.