tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #21392
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I actually deleted that post but I'm glad you saw it for
That would be the 'ole ladies screen name!
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #21393
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlznMySoul View Post
That would be the 'ole ladies screen name!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #21394
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Quote:
Sjoerd Bakker is so intrigued by SR's new ride, he's coming to the Casona here in San Antonio tomorrow after departing Mexico to personally examine the machine and tender his approval.

We'll be sure to get a photo of Sjoerd with a thumb's up on SR's new ride
Please tell Sjoerd that he is more than welcome to take the bike for a spin. Puebla is fine, but I'd prefer that he doesn't go all the way to Chiapas.

SR screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 08:57 AM
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #21395
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^

I'm very interested in his impressions riding your new bike as well as the KTM and the Triumph Rocket as well.

I'll take him to Triceson's craft beer place afterwards and record his notes while he opines.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #21396
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
How comfortable am I being around men brandishing guns? Well ,not very...I live in fucking canada ,fer chrissakes! Not Arizona or Texas....

Although, I DO have very good manners and am very polite...why?...because I live in fucking canada,fer chrissakes!
Arizona nor Texas brandish guns. Not in the way we are discussing here.

Your response would be considered an overreaction south of the border, and therefore rude. You may want to consider staying home

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:37 AM   #21397
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
^ Mark (Misery Goat) has already done multiple edits to that mess and don't be surprised if it ends up getting locked
Be a damn shame that the world will lose all the good advice coming out of Montana and North Carolina! Not to mention the experts who cancelled their first trip to Mexico.

Trice, you might have 3 books by the best drummer to ever come out of Metro T.O. but there was a guy on the Harry thread that had a personally signed letter from Malcolm Smith himself! Of course, old Malcolm is just another talented and polite Canadian export. Rides like Bob Loblaw, but Malcolm has worse eyesight and thinner hair.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #21398
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post

I took the books to staples and had them spiraled. The colored tabs are my own. Red for south route to zeewah. Yellow for coastline up to oaxaca, blue for northbound route. I wrote on the color coded tabs the towns where I will be stopping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

Came in yesterday's mail. Thanks Sjoerd!

Now I'm off to the office supply to get them "shnizzled"
I'm going to advise Sjoerd tomorrow here at the Casona that we have adopted JD's term for the spiral/cover mod to his books

I will add the term and the quote to The Guide at the front of the thread as a recommended mod to "Sjoerd's Guide".
Old 02-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #21399
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Oddometer: 8,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Tourism is the fifth largest component of the Mexican economy regardless of how you think about it.
People taking up arms to fight for their communities experience a diminished interest in your tourist dollars. Likely because tourist dollars only benefit the living.

It's not that what you are posting isn't true. It's just not what is most relevant to communities suffering kidnappings and murders.

I think of Mexico as a society of people more than a tourist-based economy.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SkizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #21400
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post

Your response would be considered an overreaction south of the border, and therefore rude. You may want to consider staying home
Not a fan of Canuckistanian humor, eh?

We might just have another use for the term shnizzled.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 02-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #21401
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,857
When you eat at a nice restaurant on the plaza in a beautiful Mexican town and the waiter brings you the check with prices that have been discounted 25% from the menu published prices, then the msg is 'tourism is way down.'

There is a msg there..
Old 02-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #21402
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
People taking up arms to fight for their communities experience a diminished interest in your tourist dollars. Likely because tourist dollars only benefit the living.

It's not that what you are posting isn't true. It's just not what is most relevant to communities suffering kidnappings and murders.

I think of Mexico as a society of people more than a tourist-based economy.
Schizz,
I very well understand what Mexico is. Based on GDP it is the 16th largest economy in the world. I understand the people in the rural areas are not reliant on tourism. I understand the people in the tourist areas are and people in industrialized areas are far more interested in the overall world economy. In short, I understand Mexico and its problems and its successes quite as well as you.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #21403
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

From Our Close Encounters of the Dirt Kind Department

The next ATVRuta has been announced

Mark the date: 26 June 2014

Start Location: Durango, Durango, México

Event: Off-Road Durango to Mazatlán through the Sierra Madre

Last year's route was a ball buster and a lot of the ATV guys complained about the difficulty of the route.

Will this year's route be easier than the past?

There is only one way to find out

If you love dirt riding in Mexico then this is the ride to get on your résumé

Rumour has it that a few more gringos are planning to make the ride this year

They will follow in the footsteps of SR

Don't miss the ride of a lifetime

Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #21404
theshnizzle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post

Apparently, yes, the whole lighthearted tone of the post escaped you. Danm the intewebz!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #21405
SkizzMan
There, that's it

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Schizz,
I very well understand what Mexico is. Based on GDP it is the 16th largest economy in the world. I understand the people in the rural areas are not reliant on tourism. I understand the people in the tourist areas are and people in industrialized areas are far more interested in the overall world economy. In short, I understand Mexico and its problems and its successes quite as well as you.
I'm making a point, not a comparison. I have no way to measure your overall understanding of Mexico any more than you do mine. But I do view your criticism of autodefensas not being mindful of tourist dollars a bit daft when they are struggling to secure their communities from some very bad people. While you and I experience the impact as travelers the Mexican people feel it in their day-to-day lives as they are preyed upon by criminals and corrupt govt. In this context your mention of tourist income struck me as inappropriate, lacking empathy.

It may be that you are simply unaware of the accounts coming out of the region: of profits being siphoned off by thugs through extortion, of kidnappings and murders to control the communities, of parents watching men take and abuse their young daughters with impunity just because they can. And you dare criticize these men for taking up arms against this darkness because it may harm tourism?!