Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #21391
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I was working in the garden with my spices ........

Back to my spice garden with Rush's Time Machine cranking in the earbuds....
SPICEpilot

That's pretty cool man. What kind of spices are you growing?
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:06 AM   #21392
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlznMySoul View Post
SPICEpilot

That's pretty cool man. What kind of spices are you growing?

Medicinal, most likely.

mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:11 AM   #21393
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,201
Sjoerd Bakker is so intrigued by SR's new ride, he's coming to the Casona here in San Antonio tomorrow after departing Mexico to personally examine the machine and tender his approval.

We'll be sure to get a photo of Sjoerd with a thumb's up on SR's new ride

On the same visit agenda, Sjoerd is here to cut the ribbon on his namesake

Sjoerd Bakker Mexico Mapping Science Laboratory

Which has a statue of Sjoerd out front

First Mexico Mapping Science Lab project: Sjoerd helps plot the classified Secret Mission South
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #21394
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
I moved past experiencing Mexico as simply a tourist a few decades ago when I quit objectifying Mexico and her people as little more than a cheap vacation locale and began to see her people in a struggle far more significant than merely drawing tourist dollars.
Tourism is the fifth largest component of the Mexican economy regardless of how you think about it.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:24 AM   #21395
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
That may be how it seems from the outside, but it is far more complicated than that. Rather than try to explain this on a forum I will give you two examples:
Hundreds of tourists and local expats travel freely in this area without worry from a puntero making a mistake. The punteros can tell the difference. Now if a pick up truck with Michoacan license plates comes into my town with 4 young guys in the cab who look suspicious and the truck make model and color has been involved in previous cartel clashes, then yes, it will be reported. The truck passengers may be innocent, but they may be in a lot of trouble.

Another example, if a local thug is robbing people in the town and the police do nothing, then a puntero may call it in to his boss. The hit men will come to town and give the punk three warnings. Words, a beating, and then the third strike is death. They can enforce the law to gain the trust of the people.
It is a lot more complicated than most people think from reading a web forum.
+1

Quote:
I was working in the garden with my spices when my "somebody's dissing on Rush" beeper went off...
Lol! Geez Bob, I know it seems like the last couple of subtopics I have been trolling on you, but honestly I didn't know that you are a Rush fan.

I opine they are way overrated, just like The Ramones. Some of these bands develop these cult followings and then everybody wants to jump on board for the sake of being a fashionista. "Hey! I'm cool, I listen to the Ramones and know all about their personal lives and stuff." "Hey! I'm cool, I listen to Rush and know about their personal lives and stuff." "Hey! I'm cool, I know that KebMo's real name is Kevin Morris." Anyways, I think you get my point.

Jealousy because they are making money? Not all of us are Democrats or Liberals who demonize wealth. We can take that one to JoMomma

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #21396
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Talked his way out? I didn't get that impression. The impression I got was that he didn't talk his way into trouble, because he is no trouble, at least not to these guys. There is a difference. Personally I would have left out the part of being complimentary about the autodefensas. However, the politeness that SB replied with is the appropriate type of response, which is why I suspect he has been a successful traveler in many parts of Latin America.

One has to look at the macro situation at hand instead of inferring that some type of skillset like "talking your way out" has to be aquired to handle these situations. This isn't really gamesmanship as seen in some movie where one party outfoxes the other via some verbal exchange. The major consideration here is that you have a group of men at port arms that are standing guard in the open at entrances to a populated urbanization. They are questioning those who wish to pass. Direct answers to direct questions, rendered in a polite manner are what is appropriate. Those who are evaluated as no trouble would normally be allowed to pass for this type of situation.

One should recall that good manners in Latin America are considered a strength and a sign of confidence, while in the Anglo world these days good manners are often seen as obsequiousness and weakness.

One should ask oneself in one is comfortable being around men who are at port arms. If one is not, then different things may be inferred by the men at port arms depending on your exhibted reaction should you find yourself in a situation where you have to dialog with them.

How comfortable am I being around men brandishing guns? Well ,not very...I live in fucking canada ,fer chrissakes! Not Arizona or Texas....

Although, I DO have very good manners and am very polite...why?...because I live in fucking canada,fer chrissakes!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #21397
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

From Our It's Not What You Know But Who You Know Department

San Antonio Spurs principle owner Peter Holt and SR are pals and go way back

When Mr. Holt got wind of SR coming to the Casona next week to pick up his new ride, he hooked SR with some arena level seats at row 8, at one of the scoring ends of the floor.

What a nice change. Previously I've only been able to sit in the upper reaches of the blue sections, with binoculars
Old 02-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #21398
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
SPICEpilot
And the men who grow high spices
Must be the ones who start
To mold a new reality
Closer to the heart
Closer to the heart
The blacksmith and the artist
Reflect it in their art
They forge their creativity
Closer to the heart
Closer to the heart

Philosophers and bikemen
Each must know his part
To sow a new mentality
Closer to the heart
Closer to the heart
You can be the captain
I will draw the chart
Sailing into destiny
Closer to the heart

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:30 AM   #21399
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
That may be how it seems from the outside, but it is far more complicated than that. Rather than try to explain this on a forum I will give you two examples:
Hundreds of tourists and local expats travel freely in this area without worry from a puntero making a mistake. The punteros can tell the difference. Now if a pick up truck with Michoacan license plates comes into my town with 4 young guys in the cab who look suspicious and the truck make model and color has been involved in previous cartel clashes, then yes, it will be reported. The truck passengers may be innocent, but they may be in a lot of trouble.

Another example, if a local thug is robbing people in the town and the police do nothing, then a puntero may call it in to his boss. The hit men will come to town and give the punk three warnings. Words, a beating, and then the third strike is death. They can enforce the law to gain the trust of the people.
It is a lot more complicated than most people think from reading a web forum.
well explained Kiko.
in addition... the punteros are not allowed to be under influence of alcohol (or drugs) while on their duty shift, because if they miss to identify and notify pronto an incoming threat, well... their own lives are in the thin line..

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013

Arte screwed with this post 02-21-2014 at 08:35 AM
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #21400
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
Oh good gosh. I do like Rush. NP is an EXCELLENT drummer. He can do two different time signatures simultaneously with the foot bass and his hands.

HOWEVER, you guys do know that, much like the movie Beetlejuice, if you say Neal Peart three times, Nachtflug will be in here giving us all manner of crap?
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #21401
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

"RIDER MISSING IN MEXICO" Thread

....................> on self destruct in

Old 02-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #21402
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

You got me Trice!
Old 02-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #21403
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
"RIDER MISSING IN MEXICO" Thread

....................> on self destruct in

^ Mark (Misery Goat) has already done multiple edits to that mess and don't be surprised if it ends up getting locked
Old 02-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #21404
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:

You got me Trice!
I actually deleted that post but I'm glad you saw it for
Old 02-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #21405
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I actually deleted that post but I'm glad you saw it for
That would be the 'ole ladies screen name!