Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 09:42 PM   #21811
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
That's Nuevo Orizaba - Ingenieros (El Quiché Department)

I have not used that one, but if I were entering Guatemala and passing through, I'd verify it had a functional Aduana or I would skip it and cross elsewhere.

No Aduana on the Guatemala side of the border , I don't know about the Mexican side . But I doubt it , because even bigger borders like Gracias a Dios don't have Aduana on either side .
Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #21812
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,400
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyT View Post

Antigua Guatemala, kind of a mini San Miguel

HELL NO , IT'S NOT
Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 PM   #21813
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Antigua

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
HELL NO , IT'S NOT
GuateRider,

Can you say a little more about that. San Miguel: large, high, dry, hilly, lots of gringos. Antigua?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 PM   #21814
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Looks like a reasonable route. I'm curious about the border crossing you show between Mexico and Guatemala. There was a thread here about that awhile back, and no one posted who had actually used that one. How did you decide on that? Do you know if there is aduana there for your vehicle permit? Looks like you plan to go through Coban? From there to your border with Honduras would be slow going on twisty mountain roads, which is great unless you have to make time. The "normal" route, if you wanted to stay on the beaten track would be to cross at Cuatehmoc/La Mesilla, and bypass Huehuetenango, and Quetzaltenango (Xela) on the Interamericana, then Guatemala City and east to the Honduran border.

The route from Oaxaca to San Cristobal is a long days ride, especially if you take the free road form Tuxtla to SCdlC, which I recommend. Beautiful mountain road. Very doable, just be ready for a long day.

The only other comment I would have is that the area between the Texas border and Ciudad Victoria, and south from there, has been fairly hot with cartel activity lately. I would give some thought to crossing at Laredo and going through Saltillo and south to San Luis Potosi. It's a very fluid situation, and Saltillo was hotter a year or two ago. Just read up what you can and make your own decision. Odds are excellent either way would be fine. I'm sure other people will post up their opinions.

If you have some time, some highlights near your route would be:
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, arguably the prettiest small city anywhere.
Teotihuacan pyramids, spectacular ruins
Lake Atitlan Guatemala, Ridiculously gorgeous lake ringed by volcanoes
Antigua Guatemala, kind of a mini San Miguel
Yes to this. On both ends of the route.

South Texas and northern Tamaulipas have less to offer, IMO, then the Sierra Madre Oriental. I always go for the mountain routes when it makes sense for my trip profile. Sure beats two full days of droning on through the flatlands. And you can still make good time going through the mountains given a good route.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 PM   #21815
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
ChicagoEd

Generally speaking it will take you longer than you think to ride through Mexico and even longer through CA because of the border crossings. You can count on not making many miles on border crossing days. You might want to check out the CA portion of Radioman Rides the world and others to get a sense of CA border crossing shenanigans. It sounds like it can be quite tedious. As a solo rider security of your gear is always a concern as you jump through the various hoops of officialdom, "fixers", currency exchange. How is your Spanish? How far is it to your final destination and return? How many days do you have? What is the farthest distance you have ever ridden. Have you ridden in the tropics? Do you have a sensitive stomach? You are going to have to figure in rest days and allow for some maintenance time. Your age, physical conditioning, and riding skills are all factors. There are guys on here who can knock out 500 miles a day down there but maybe not every day for two weeks. Mexico is a big country and she moves at her speed, not yours and she is more than willing to teach that lesson. I have seen a number of noobs post on here with all kinds of ambitious plans but a lot of them don't post about how it all turned out. There must be a reason for that.

rockymountainoyster screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 11:07 PM Reason: Clarity
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #21816
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
Mexico is a big country and she moves at her speed, not yours and she is more than willing to teach that lesson.
Well said, RMO.

Or as our good friend mark883 once wrote, "Remember, in Mexico, Darwin makes and enforces most of the rules."

How very true.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:00 AM   #21817
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozark-nzrider View Post
Barb and I just got to San Antonio. Going to spend a few days here before we go to Eagle Pass to start our trip into Mexico. Do you San Antonio guys exchange funds in town and if so how and where? or wait until you get into Mexico?
The practice of " exchanging funds" is a bit antiquated.
One really does not need to exchange any funds before a trip, banks will charge
an extra fee for the trouble and far from the border they can make you wait days while they " order in" the money.

Simply take your bank card with you and take it out of a MEXICAN bank machine on the MEXICAN side of the border when you get there.
The border fees will be paid by credit card so you do not need pesos
and anyway if you need to pay cash for the TVIP security Deposit it has to be in US dollars.
Only at the tail end of the trip if you have pesos left over and are are not going back to Mexico in the near future would you consider exchanging them for dollars at a Casa de cambio
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:37 AM   #21818
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Mex 307 border

The Orizabs CHIS border crossing is completely unserviced by either country, no Aduana or Migracion services
You could cross here but Mexico actually requires that you get the exit paperwork done at any other crossing with that service before doing so.
Kind of negates the usefulness of crossing here
But local folk wander back and forth at will, they are permitted .

On the GT side the road continues to Playa Grande and all of the country
Even uninformed and unsuspecting foreigners do cross here at times.
Last year at Flores GT we met a Canadian motorcyclist who had done that.
unaware that he needed official documentation.
He was totally surprised that he would need ENTRY documents before he would be allowed to EXIT to Honduras , so he accepted my suggestion and later that day he went to the border of Melchor de Mencos to look after that.
He later wrote that it was no trouble getting it done and it saved him headaches at the at the border of Honduras.
The Central American and USA borders are all sticklers for details like that.It is not a free for all where you just slide some money across under the table .
Old 03-14-2014, 05:02 AM   #21819
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

QUOTE AndyT
The route from Oaxaca to San Cristobal is a long days ride, especially if you take the free road form Tuxtla to SCdlC, which I recommend. Beautiful mountain road. Very doable, just be ready for a long day. QUOTE

BOY is it Ever. In fact I would say that in my scheme and pace of riding I would really REALLY advise a noob against even trying to do it in one day.
It will be an Ironbutt kind of r ride , certainly no fun for a first timer on this route . I mean, you are going to have to Push push push yourself to keep riding fast and ignore all kinds of scenic diversion. Race past Tule, race past MITLA, race , push, race , pass up visits to the various towns and the mercados and plazas with all the local colour, no stops to gorge on samples of
the fresh local Mango crop at Tapanatepec , no stops to gaze back over the Central Depression of Chiapas as you climb higher and higher out of Chiapa de Corzo . The ride will be remembered for all the stuff you KNOW. you raced past and have only a hint of seeing.
I always seem to take at least 2 days and often more depending how many scenery gazing photo stops and side trips draw me off that main highway
Old 03-14-2014, 06:08 AM   #21820
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
The practice of " exchanging funds" is a bit antiquated.
One really does not need to exchange any funds before a trip, banks will charge
an extra fee for the trouble and far from the border they can make you wait days while they " order in" the money.
IBC Bank charges no fee unless you consider the exchange rate at the bank vs an ATM as a "fee", and no bank offering pesos in San Antonio as a service has to "order in" money. This may be different in Oklahoma northward but I don't like the cold up there either

Once again, it's how you travel. If you like to arrive at the border with zero pesos and "peso up" on the borderline, that's your style and that's fine.

I will always travel with a fallback wad of pesos and I will have these before I hit the border. I don't like pulling what I need from an ATM near the border and I don't like crossing the border without what I need. I prefer having cash sufficient for any contingency (including enough tactical stash in the event the ATM card doesn't work, is lost, or stolen). The bank where I get pesos is a block away from the Casona, so its very easy for me to take care of exchanging money.

You and others may have an different approach.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #21821
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Is the M1nsk TRX 300i the next perfect Mexico (and beyond) adventure bike?

"Dual Sport bikes in the 250cc range are available, but they don’t have the long range travel capability. The TRX 300i incorporates essential Adventure Touring equipment like a windscreen, large tank, electronic fuel injection, LED headlight and comfortable seating. This is a real Adventure Bike, not a converted Dual Sport, and even includes panniers, top box, crash bars and wire spoked rims as standard equipment".

This bike may spark the move to more and more "adventurized" 250cc bikes. Mark Sampson would approve.

tricepilot screwed with this post 03-14-2014 at 06:38 AM
Old 03-14-2014, 07:00 AM   #21822
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
The route from Oaxaca to San Cristobal is a long days ride, especially if you take the free road form Tuxtla to SCdlC, which I recommend. Beautiful mountain road. Very doable, just be ready for a long day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
BOY is it Ever. In fact I would say that in my scheme and pace of riding I would really REALLY advise a noob against even trying to do it in one day.
It will be an Ironbutt kind of r ride , certainly no fun for a first timer on this route . I mean, you are going to have to Push push push yourself to keep riding fast and ignore all kinds of scenic diversion. Race past Tule, race past MITLA, race , push, race , pass up visits to the various towns and the mercados and plazas with all the local colour, no stops to gorge on samples of
the fresh local Mango crop at Tapanatepec , no stops to gaze back over the Central Depression of Chiapas as you climb higher and higher out of Chiapa de Corzo . The ride will be remembered for all the stuff you KNOW. you raced past and have only a hint of seeing.
I always seem to take at least 2 days and often more depending how many scenery gazing photo stops and side trips draw me off that main highway
"Big Jim", former tour guide for Motodiscovery, and operating as a private tour guide, left out of Oaxaca a few years ago with two riding buddies in tow and a car full of their wives - all on their way to a BMW rally. Without even having left town, he got separated from the two riders. This separated posse pushed on to San Cristobal, the two riders alone together and "Big Jim" along with the car following behind.

One of the two riders crashed late in the day due to fatigue on a tope. I saw him after they had all returned from the rally (I did not choose to attend) later walking with a cane in Oaxaca city.

"Big Jim" abandoned the ride due to darkness and other factors and left his bike at a PEMEX, and jumped into the car with the ladies. He later retrieved his bike when a bus which was part of the BMW rally tour to Sumidero Canyon brought him back in the direction of his motorcycle.

All this to say that yes, Oaxaca to San Cristobal is a big bite in more ways than one.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #21823
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
IBC Bank charges no fee unless you consider the exchange rate at the bank vs an ATM as a "fee", and no bank offering pesos in San Antonio as a service has to "order in" money. This may be different in Oklahoma northward but I don't like the cold up there either

My local Compass Bank in Edinburg will order pesos in large amounts. In preparation for my Central America trip I went to exchange about $70 worth into pesos to get me through Mexican airports and a taxi from the bridge. They had that on hand but not much more. They offered to order more but it would take a couple days they said. I found it strange they didn't have more on hand being so close to the border. No dice on Quetzales and Lempiras however, not even ordered.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:21 AM   #21824
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
Loading the bike, headed for Mazatlan this weekend....Coming back home on Mon....
Anyone in Mazatlan this weekend?
I am here now, PM sent...

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:07 AM   #21825
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
Loading the bike, headed for Mazatlan this weekend....Coming back home on Mon....
Anyone in Mazatlan this weekend?
RW, looks like I will miss you once. Heading out of town this afternoon. Don't miss a chance to meet up with GoingSouth.
SR
SR is offline   Reply With Quote