Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #22141
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Why not ride with her to some beautiful place in the mountains.

After discussing routing I really wish I was going. I could go for a Mexico trip.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:25 PM   #22142
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaoak View Post
hey guys, I'm finally able to start my long awaited mission to mexico!. leaving canada first week of may!!!!

i just bought a 2012 bmw f800gs and am ready to go with my friend who has a 2012 klr 650.

I'm just wondering about current border crossings and what to think about before coming down. were going to enter through the tijuana border crossing and drive down the baja peninsula to cabo san lucas, than to la paz, take the ferry (how much is the ferry gonna cost in dollars?) tot mazatland and keep south to sayulita where we plan on chilling out for a while.

so i would be very grateful for any insights and knowledge bombs you may be able to drop. thanks!
The ferry is around $175 and that includes dinner and breakfast. I would get a cabin too, it's a 15 hour ferry ride to Mazatlan.
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #22143
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzaoak View Post
hey guys, I'm finally able to start my long awaited mission to mexico!. leaving canada first week of may!!!!

i just bought a 2012 bmw f800gs and am ready to go with my friend who has a 2012 klr 650.

I'm just wondering about current border crossings and what to think about before coming down. were going to enter through the tijuana border crossing and drive down the baja peninsula to cabo san lucas, than to la paz, take the ferry (how much is the ferry gonna cost in dollars?) tot mazatland and keep south to sayulita where we plan on chilling out for a while.

so i would be very grateful for any insights and knowledge bombs you may be able to drop. thanks!
I have not crossed at TJ for 3 years now but it is the busiest crossing in Mexico and a big city with lots of traffic. Unless you have a compelling reason to cross there, think about Tecate or even Mexicali
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #22144
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,831
Top 10 Coolest Adventure Bikes

From ADV Pulse:

"One of our favorite motorcycle websites Visordown, recently published their “Top 10 Coolest Adventure Bikes” list. One thing we like is that they purposely didn’t include any new expensive Adventure Bikes on their list (sorry no BMW R1200GS). The list contains older, more obscure Adventure Bikes from the 80′s, 90′s and early 2000′s. Many Adventure Bikes you may never have heard of before."
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #22145
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,831
¡Disfruta! DURANGO

^ (link)
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:04 AM   #22146
RestlessSpirit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I have not crossed at TJ for 3 years now but it is the busiest crossing in Mexico and a big city with lots of traffic. Unless you have a compelling reason to cross there, think about Tecate or even Mexicali
Not to disagree with Turkey, but ... On the other hand TJ really is a world class party destination and the Avenue of Revolutions (Avenida Revolucion) is mere blocks away from the border crossing.

Ensenada is just down the road from that crossing and the Food Channel and the Travel Channel have been highlighting all the great places to stop in and enjoy lobster and other seafood and the great food scene in that area.
RestlessSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:09 AM   #22147
RestlessSpirit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
You inspired me to go hunt for and dig out my Ft. Benning stuff. This is from really "way back in the day"

Were you part of the Brown Boot Army?

We should discuss backchannel. My dad was at Ft. Benning during the Korean War. Had his degree in law and was the assistant to the base commander as I understand things.
RestlessSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:39 AM   #22148
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Many Adventure Bikes you may never have heard of before."
Great list. Funny how Honda has a way of building some amazing bikes and then stopping. Just at the point where they could simply dominate the market they quit. Reminds me of the joke Nicholson tells in the movie Chinatown. The one about stopping suddenly and going outside to look at the moon.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:11 AM   #22149
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,838
This is an interesting map from the UN Migratory Institute,

Choose the first map option, 'Immigrant and Emigrant Populations by Country of Origin and Destination',

Select your home country in the box at the bottom of the page, and select 'Migrants originating from home country', and then the map will display migration info, roll over any country and see how many of your fellow expats are there. US to Mexico 849,000.

http://www.migrationpolicy.org/progr...s-around-world
Old 03-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #22150
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestlessSpirit View Post
Not to disagree with Turkey, but ... On the other hand TJ really is a world class party destination and the Avenue of Revolutions (Avenida Revolucion) is mere blocks away from the border crossing.

Ensenada is just down the road from that crossing and the Food Channel and the Travel Channel have been highlighting all the great places to stop in and enjoy lobster and other seafood and the great food scene in that area.
I agree, don't miss Ensenada. Cross at Tecate and take Hwy 3 to Hwy 1 just north of Ensenada. Hwy 3 winds through vineyards. You don't get ocean views though.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #22151
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 238
la esencia!

Quote:

Some of you may appreciate this, if you can translate on the fly.

I won't provide comment on this video, but suffice to say, the link of which I copied from someone I know twtex.com, from a ride report there. If you want the link, PM me.

I see lots of helmet cam videos. This wins.

This one is muy padre, especially if you can translate the exchange.

I loved this, since the locale where filmed is literally "out in the middle of nowhere"
Great video. That is the essence of ADV riding and a thin slice of life. That is the kind of interaction that means nothing to anyone not really involved or who has done it before. However...those are the interactions and conversations that you remember in the deep of winter when you can't ride your bike here in Missouri. Being able to speak the language does seem to help!.
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 AM   #22152
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,385
Don't need to wash the car anymore- it rained last week coming back from Daytona
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #22153
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT View Post
Be careful on Hwy 20, the terrain can be a distraction.

The route thru Cadereyta was quiet on a cold wet day back in November, but Andy's friends in Santiago may have heard something more recently.
Ok I can't find this road on the map...I need a little help.
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #22154
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeguy View Post
Ok I can't find this road on the map...I need a little help.
This may help
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/25.3542/-100.4012
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #22155
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by akaDigger View Post
Perfect, thanks!
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote