ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #2236
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte
I miss a lot go fishing to SUGAR LAKE near Camargo city.

But I heard that it would require the "Mission Imposible" team to get there, fish, drink beer, camping, etc. without face the bad guys.

I'm not sure about that, but better wait some time before go there again.
Is a very nice place to ride the bike, many dirt roads around the dam, very cool places to rest and fish, relax, you know.

Camargo is supposed to be Ground Zero for the Zetas. Friends of mind have told me that there is some good hunting up there.

I'm like you Amigo. Let's hope this crap ends soon because there is some mighty nice riding and adventuring along the border otherwise.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #2237
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Even more reports of violence this weekend from Acapulco (20 men kidnapped in daylight)
The one witness to this has vanished and the authorities are saying that the stories don't add up. The local paper said that the authorities were skeptical of the guys's story that all 20 of them went on vacation together every year without their families and have said that either they were all involved in the drug trade, or perhaps this one is a hoax.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #2238
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Things have heated up considerably along the border around here.

A few weeks ago the Border Patrol got into two shooting episodes in the same week at the Chimney RV Park which is pretty much literally across the road from us (we can see the old chimney from here). The jumped some guys loading dope into a pickup truck, at least one person tried to swim back to Mexico, and the Mexicans found a body the next day. Several days later they ran across some other guys who evidently were there trying to get their dope back and they ran off, leaving their other pickup truck behind.

Moral of the story: a friend told me that he has heard that the Border Patrol is going to start mounting .50 machine guns and adding a third member - a gunner - to the boats now.

Then a couple of days ago the Progreso Bridge was closed when the Mexican Army chased someone in a Jeep into the US side of the bridge and came pretty well inside the US zone trying to get 'em. Supposedly the soldiers left peacefully and without their man, who the Border Patrol evidently determined wasn't a threat and let go (watch for this one to become a "whoops" episode that the BP doesn't want to talk about).

Article at http://www.themonitor.com/articles/p...vironment.html

On the same day the Border Patrol said that they took fire from across the border up in Starr County, which is the next county over.

We have had so many overflights lately by Mexican Marine helicopters that the Border Patrol issued a statement that there is an agreement in place allowing overflights - on both sides of the border - for brief periods of time if they are chasing someone or conducting surveillance. (With all the hoopla about the Mexican helicopters flying over the USA many conveniently forget that a Border Patrol 'copter crashed - some say it was shot down - inside Mexico a few years ago).

Here's the river at normal flood stage at Chimney RV Park. Needless to say the river is narrow enough at that point that you can shout across the river to someone on the other side. There is a farmer's field on the Mexican side, but we've been over there exploring and it backs up to a fairly rough neighborhood that is off of Mexican Rt. 2.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #2239
Arte OP
Pata de Perro
 
Arte's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: McAllen TX, MEXICO
Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn

Here's the river at normal flood stage at Chimney RV Park. Needless to say the river is narrow enough at that point that you can shout across the river to someone on the other side. There is a farmer's field on the Mexican side, but we've been over there exploring and it backs up to a fairly rough neighborhood that is off of Mexican Rt. 2.

Can't see the pic John.

check our latest ride here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625870
__________________

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #2240
TemeculaRider
Studly Adventurer
 
TemeculaRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: La Paz, Baja California Sur
Oddometer: 565
Yeah, too bad the US military can't "dispatch" the pirates preying on the lake.
__________________
Justin
2009 KLR650 (now a KLR685-Stage II)
My Ford E350 4x4 Baja Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
you are safer in 99% of Northern Mexico than you are in 99% of Jacksonville, FL.
TemeculaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #2241
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte
Can't see the pic John.

check our latest ride here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625870

Beautiful Arte! Thanks!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #2242
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemeculaRider
Yeah, too bad the US military can't "dispatch" the pirates preying on the lake.

Normally I discount this stuff, but in this case (if it's true - keep reading) then it would seem that the pirates can be somewhat easily identified and and attack on them wouldn't be a threat to the locals (there are some private houses on the Mexican edge of the lake) if they are in boats, chasing someone, and in the middle of the lake.

There were a couple of US fishermen who were held up by these guys and it was relatively uneventful. With the shooting of a US tourist I would have to think that the Mexican military are going to pay attention. For that matter if these are Zeta wannabes then the Zetas may make an example of them for drawing negative attention to the Zetas.

More to the point, the local media just had the lady who survived on the Noon news and described here as "claiming" that her hubby was killed by pirates. My girlfriend and I both looked at each other and said that someone is doubting her story.

During an interview that she made with national media (the local media pointedly comments that she would only do a quick interview with them) she was crying that "some people don't believe me and that's terrible."

So I think that we need to watch this one. Obviously the authorities are questioning her story.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:52 AM   #2243
ChrisZ
Exploring, Not Lost
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: New York, NY
Oddometer: 175
Best time of year weather-wise?

It's on-topic to "is Mexico safe?" because if the weather's bad, I might get killed!!!

Seriously - best time of year? I'm planning 3 to 4 weeks (don't tell my bosses) in 2011, trying to figure out when's best. Mazatlan looks nice, don't think I can make it further south than that in the time available.

July?

August?

I'm thinking October maybe? Getting back to NYC is a consideration, so too late in the year and it could be snowing (meaning I couldn't get back to work.. hmmm...)
__________________
1999 BMW R1100GS (with add-ons to make it heavier and more beastly to scare the locals)

NYC, NY (Until 3rd May, anyway)
www.ChristopherZguris.com / New York to Ohio, Via Canada and Montana 2010: 4 Weeks On The Road
ChrisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #2244
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kamala's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Nashoba Valley
Oddometer: 12,459
According to the state dept Mexico is probably safer than Europe right now!
__________________
I survived the Great Folk Music Scare of the 1960s (when it almost caught on) !
Kamala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:00 AM   #2245
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZ
It's on-topic to "is Mexico safe?" because if the weather's bad, I might get killed!!!

Seriously - best time of year? I'm planning 3 to 4 weeks (don't tell my bosses) in 2011, trying to figure out when's best. Mazatlan looks nice, don't think I can make it further south than that in the time available.

July?

August?

I'm thinking October maybe? Getting back to NYC is a consideration, so too late in the year and it could be snowing (meaning I couldn't get back to work.. hmmm...)

You are going to be riding through a desert in the middle of the summer, Amigo. Take your Camelback and stay hydrated!

I did that ride in early January. Frost on the bikes in the AM in Nogales, AZ and by the time you got to Mazatlan it was comfortably shirtsleeve weather during the day, maybe fleece and light jacket cool at night. Crossing the desert was comfortable.

That assumes that you cross at Nogales. If you cross elsewhere and ride across the Devil's Backbone I have to wonder if you might encounter snow in the dead of winter up there around Durango (any of our Durango residents want to comment?)

If snow up in the Heathen Northeast is a concern, you might want to consider truckin' your bike to a point where the weather is more ridable.

On the other hand, if your tolerance to heat is pretty high (mine is - I don't usually have too much trouble in the summers) then c'mon down in July or August. Just be prepared.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #2246
ChrisZ
Exploring, Not Lost
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: New York, NY
Oddometer: 175
Hmm...

I was in Montana, Wyoming, South Dakota in June/July, so yeah.. heat's not a big issue and I've got a camelback thing.

A guy where I buy coffee seemed to suggest winter here in the US is the rainy season down in Mexico, which is what I want to avoid. So June/July sort of looks good, thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
You are going to be riding through a desert in the middle of the summer, Amigo. Take your Camelback and stay hydrated!

I did that ride in early January. Frost on the bikes in the AM in Nogales, AZ and by the time you got to Mazatlan it was comfortably shirtsleeve weather during the day, maybe fleece and light jacket cool at night. Crossing the desert was comfortable.

That assumes that you cross at Nogales. If you cross elsewhere and ride across the Devil's Backbone I have to wonder if you might encounter snow in the dead of winter up there around Durango (any of our Durango residents want to comment?)

If snow up in the Heathen Northeast is a concern, you might want to consider truckin' your bike to a point where the weather is more ridable.

On the other hand, if your tolerance to heat is pretty high (mine is - I don't usually have too much trouble in the summers) then c'mon down in July or August. Just be prepared.
__________________
1999 BMW R1100GS (with add-ons to make it heavier and more beastly to scare the locals)

NYC, NY (Until 3rd May, anyway)
www.ChristopherZguris.com / New York to Ohio, Via Canada and Montana 2010: 4 Weeks On The Road
ChrisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #2247
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamala
According to the state dept Mexico is probably safer than Europe right now!

Stay in your house and don't go anywhere!

Seriously, I cannot think of a single confirmed case of a attack in Mexico on a tourist that involved death or serious injury unless it involved a drug deal that went bad.

On the other hand, the narcoterrorists in Mexico aren't prone to throwing deadly explosives into innocent crowds like the terrorists in Europe are. The few "bombings" that we get around here and elsewhere in Mexico are generally aimed specifically at the police and military. The few that have gone off near civilians are usually meant to scare rather than kill and maim.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #2248
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZ

A guy where I buy coffee seemed to suggest winter here in the US is the rainy season down in Mexico, which is what I want to avoid. So June/July sort of looks good, thanks!

What's your expected route Chris?

I got caught in a rainstorm going into Hermosilla that was pretty amazing. The best part was that I was glad that it didn't catch me in the middle of the Sonoran Desert.

But Mazatlan is beautiful. You may decide to never return. For that matter, I would love to go back.

Just FWIW, if he's in the coffee business then I'll bet that he's more familiar with the other side of Mexico down around Veracruz. Arte and Andres can tell you about that area. Very, very tropical, green, and beautiful. The area that you are likely to be traveling through doesn't get nearly that much rain.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #2249
ChrisZ
Exploring, Not Lost
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: New York, NY
Oddometer: 175
Route still being determined - read here somewhere about a crossing thru Texas? Quiet and as line-free as possible is best. Beyond that, still planning. Idea is to avoid the big cities as much as possible.

The other ride report going on showing San Miguel de Allende also looks nice, but time-wise, having never been to Mexico, don't think both are do-able. This trip, I want to actually spend some time in some place so if it's Mazatlan, it looks nice from what I've been reading.

Problem is 3 weeks is WAY short. In a perfect world, I'd ship the bike (or loan it to someone) to get it to TX to cut out the time spent NYC>Mex border, but that's messy.

Trying to maximize the time in Mexico, and yes, if I found a job there I'd absolutely stay because I'm very sick of New York.

Would be good to go with someone who's been, would be good to go solo, I'm pretty comfortable either way. Once I have a better idea of times, will look into that.

Thus far, I'm in the "oh don't go to Mexico, it's dangerous! I was in Tijuana, I know!!" stage of expert "advice" from friends and family, thankfully this board exists with more useful info.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn
What's your expected route Chris?

I got caught in a rainstorm going into Hermosilla that was pretty amazing. The best part was that I was glad that it didn't catch me in the middle of the Sonoran Desert.

But Mazatlan is beautiful. You may decide to never return. For that matter, I would love to go back.

Just FWIW, if he's in the coffee business then I'll bet that he's more familiar with the other side of Mexico down around Veracruz. Arte and Andres can tell you about that area. Very, very tropical, green, and beautiful. The area that you are likely to be traveling through doesn't get nearly that much rain.

__________________
1999 BMW R1100GS (with add-ons to make it heavier and more beastly to scare the locals)

NYC, NY (Until 3rd May, anyway)
www.ChristopherZguris.com / New York to Ohio, Via Canada and Montana 2010: 4 Weeks On The Road
ChrisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #2250
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZ
Route still being determined - read here somewhere about a crossing thru Texas? Quiet and as line-free as possible is best. Beyond that, still planning. Idea is to avoid the big cities as much as possible.

The other ride report going on showing San Miguel de Allende also looks nice, but time-wise, having never been to Mexico, don't think both are do-able. This trip, I want to actually spend some time in some place so if it's Mazatlan, it looks nice from what I've been reading.
Mazatlan is beautiful. The fact that Striking Viking - who has been all around the planet - decided to settle there says volumes. They also have a large group of online ex-pats there that I can point you toward if you are interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZ



Problem is 3 weeks is WAY short. In a perfect world, I'd ship the bike (or loan it to someone) to get it to TX to cut out the time spent NYC>Mex border, but that's messy.
I can relate, because when I started riding in Mexico I was living in Jacksonville, FL and fit enough to do Iron Butt Assoc. events. You have even further to travel than I did just to get to the border.

My sincere advice is to consider shipping your bike to some place like San Antonio or Phoenix where you can find someone responsible to look over it (like a BMW dealer or fellow inmate) and where you can likely get decent airfare.

I'd be happy to take custody of it in McAllen but I suspect that the airfare down here is pretty pricey, not to mention getting a bike shipped here. Then again we are right on the border rather than being 250 miles away like San Antonio is.

Someone like Federal will probably ship it for $500 one way to a major city. Not cheap, but otherwise you are going to be looking at maybe 5 days worth of riding just to get to Mexico, particularly if you cross at Nogales.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZ
Trying to maximize the time in Mexico, and yes, if I found a job there I'd absolutely stay because I'm very sick of New York.

Working in Mexico is a multi-beer story, Amigo. Unless you can find a product to import/export (there's a hint!) or are willing to live on a Mexican minimum wage as a translator, it's going to take some creativity (notice that I didn't say that it couldn't happen!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZ
Would be good to go with someone who's been, would be good to go solo, I'm pretty comfortable either way. Once I have a better idea of times, will look into that.

You are in the right thread Amigo.

I am sure that people will be hooking up for some rides in the coming months. Hopefully I'll be back on the road before too long. In the mean time, that route from Nogales to Mazatlan is pretty easy for a beginner, frankly, and there are plenty of towns to stop and explore along the way, so you are on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZ
Thus far, I'm in the "oh don't go to Mexico, it's dangerous! I was in Tijuana, I know!!" stage of expert "advice" from friends and family, thankfully this board exists with more useful info.

Tijuana has a great red light district (North Zone, or Zona Norte, actually). Or so I have heard.

Anyway, after some miles in Mexico you will be able to amaze your friends that you not only survived Mexico, but made friends, and if you choose you can intelligently discuss drinkin' and carousin' en Mexico because Mazatlan is great for that too.

When you've been-there-and-done-that the "experts" usually shut up.

Usually.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014