Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #22591
Junyah
@ the speed of plaid

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
  1. There are some good guys in JoMomma like Lobby and Misery Goat, but I am surprised at the many posers who don't do any kind of ADVrider type rides. I thought most started in the Ride Reports or Trip Planning forums and then just went down there to fuck around, but evidently I was wrong. There are some serious psychos down there, who live down there 24/7.
  2. Yes, I think you can leave that late from NH. I lived in upstate NY for a few years. The weather would still be okay for heading south, but no later than that.
  3. Get a windshield. Longer rides will fatigue you. Wind beats on your chest and head. This has the effect of fatiguing your arms and neck, plus it slows you down. If you fashion the windshield correctly the wind should roll smoothly over the top of your helmet as it comes off the windshield. Cuts down on noise too. Wind noise gets to be a bitch even with a helmet and windshield, so I use ear plugs as well.
  4. Consider an Airhawk cushion.
  5. There are plenty of riders on this thread willing to help. Most of us get along, though with an occasional spat.

Bienvenidos!

Mike

Somebody posted a link on another MC board I'm on that went to JM. This was when JM was open to the masses, without signing in. Holy s..t what a show that was! I couldn't leave the train wreck, just in case something happened.

I eventually started roaming around.

Appreciate, and understand, the windshield advice. But this trip is about slowing down, way down. I have had to chase the clock everyday at work for 20yrs and I'm done. If I travel 50 miles in a day I will have made progress, it will be hard but I have to try.

I was planning on using my trusty sheep skin on top of a Seat Concepts seat. Many hours, no issues.

Muchos gracias!

David

Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 PM   #22592
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junyah View Post
How about just one? I am not your typical Ugly American, well I am ugly, and yes technically American, but I'm not typical!

While I did start out in JM, I've come to realize that it's just the start. It's like the gateway drug of ADV, but JM no longer does it for me now though, so I need...something...more. So I've crawled out of the basement, learned how to read, and started to think that maybe I could travel like so many of you do. I'm selling all the ancillaries, storing the rest and traveling for two years, or so.

I'm thinking of leaving NH on 10/13/2014 and wandering towards Mexico with SA in my sights. Do any of you see an issue with weather leaving the north east that late in the season? I do know that ships aren't sailing around January, but I'm planning to ride around Mexico for a few/ several months.

And while I don't have a windshield, I do carry scratch remover, you know, just in case.

Thanks

I truly believe that spending too much time on those types of forums damages your soul. I love a good argument and a good debate but vitriol and personal attacks are not uplifting. Riding and living in Mexico is uplifting, Congrats on your new phase of enlightenment.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #22593
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
I truly believe that spending too much time on those types of forums damages your soul. I love a good argument and a good debate but vitriol and personal attacks are not uplifting. Riding and living in Mexico is uplifting, Congrats on your new phase of enlightenment.
So very true. I relish the friends I have that can engage in spirited yet civil argument or debate without resorting to vitriol or snark.

Both of them.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:27 PM   #22594
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,798
Quote:
Well stated !
Old 04-22-2014, 08:29 PM   #22595
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junyah View Post
Somebody posted a link on another MC board I'm on that went to JM. This was when JM was open to the masses, without signing in. Holy s..t what a show that was! I couldn't leave the train wreck, just in case something happened.

I eventually started roaming around.

Appreciate, and understand, the windshield advice. But this trip is about slowing down, way down. I have had to chase the clock everyday at work for 20yrs and I'm done. If I travel 50 miles in a day I will have made progress, it will be hard but I have to try.

I was planning on using my trusty sheep skin on top of a Seat Concepts seat. Many hours, no issues.

Muchos gracias!

David

Get the windshield. Not just for wind but for bugs, bats, birds and basura (trash) We have all of these things coming at us down here from time to time from the wind or off a passing truck tire
Old 04-22-2014, 09:15 PM   #22596
going south
hero & Zero...

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Get the windshield. Not just for wind but for bugs, bats, birds and basura (trash) We have all of these things coming at us down here from time to time from the wind or off a passing truck tire
Good advice, last ride I took, hit two birds, & clipped a pig..

Never Lost! Just Don't know where I am!

"Don't worry about your money, let your money worry about you" Jorge González
going south is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:24 AM   #22597
Junyah
@ the speed of plaid

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
Rodger that.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:42 PM   #22598
68T120R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
I didn't see any flying pigs when I was riding in Mexico...

Bob
68T120R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:38 PM   #22599
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Yup, I for got mention the bugs. Man I have had some big ass bugs hit me in the face and knock my head back even when wearing a full-face helmet. I don't see how those who don't wear face shields can take those hits.

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:53 PM   #22600
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Yup, I for got mention the bugs. Man I have had some big ass bugs hit me in the face and knock my head back even when wearing a full-face helmet. I don't see how those who don't wear face shields can take those hits.
Most of the time the grasshoppers bounce off you boots and your pipes but some times you do get a good solid whack in the head
Old 04-23-2014, 06:00 PM   #22601
RestlessSpirit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Most of the time the grasshoppers bounce off you boots and your pipes but some times you do get a good solid whack in the head
Never mind the turkey vulture that hit my helmet once in Mexico.
RestlessSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #22602
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestlessSpirit View Post
Never mind the turkey vulture that hit my helmet once in Mexico.
I was on US 57 heading west to Eagle Pass to cross the border at Piedras Negras. Big-ass jack rabbit with big black coal eyes on the side of the road just sitting there like a dog. I swear he was as big as a German Shepherd. He starts running along the side of the road parallel to to my bike. Scared the crap out of me...

Then he jumps on the back of the back, puts his paws on my shoulders and asks, "Hey buddy! Ever had a wild hare up your ass?"

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #22603
sarahtesla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Vancouver to Mexico

Hey Amigos

My husband and I cross into Mexico in a couple of days and will be riding around the country for a few weeks. So far we've been writing and documenting our journey - anyone interested in following our story as we get into Mexico (and offer any advice!) feel free to track our progress:

www.lostnotfound.in
Instagram: @lostnotfoundin
Twitter: @lostnotfoundin
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wearelostnotfound

Sarah + Rick

sarahtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #22604
sarahtesla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Vancouver to Mexico

Hey Amigos

My husband and I cross into Mexico in a couple of days and will be riding around the country for a few weeks. So far we've been writing and documenting our journey - anyone interested in following our story as we get into Mexico (and offer any advice!) feel free to track our progress:

www.lostnotfound.in

Sarah + Rick
sarahtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #22605
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtesla View Post
Hey Amigos

www.lostnotfound.in

Sarah + Rick
Still a bit cool at altitude in NM. Where will you cross into Mexico?