User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2014, 11:24 AM   #22711
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,994
I take it you are servicing BMW bikes.
For KTM and Triumph, Hiperbikes in Puebla has good service.
Or MotoPits also for BMW or other brands.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #22712
sarahtesla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Ok, I would recommend you skip Veracruz and do your overnight in Boca de Ovejas at the hotel on the ocean. It is a quiet little place, well recommended, it isn't a Hilton but you can likely negotiate a good rate and decompress on the beach a little...but...we've got weather coming.
It has been very warm lately, however on Wednesday there will be a north wind front moving through. You'll have gusty conditions and some blowing sand likely by the time you make the coast highway #180. Boca de Ovejas is between Emilio Carranza and Palma Sola, keep an eye out for the hotel, it is white, it will be on your left if you are heading south. That puts you about an hour and half north of Veracruz.
That hotel is a nice little break from the usual madness of the #180.
If you push to Palma Sola, there is a new hotel there with a nice restaurant (good prices) and you might be able to negotiate a better room rate, but it will be about twice the price of the hotel in Boca de Ovejas.
If you are not getting your bikes serviced by Rafael Lago at MotoPits here in Veracruz, that hotel in Boca de Ovejas is a good option to beat the traffic and problems in downtown Veracruz these days.
You can then get an early start and take the bypass around Veracruz in the morning and miss a lot of problems and slowdowns with traffic and be well on your way south on the #180 with no issues. Avoid coming into Veracruz from the north via the port and downtown, take the bypass to Paso del Toro, about 8kms past the caseta in La Antigua, the exit to get on the bypass is steep and on your right, stay in your exit lane as you do not have to pay the caseta at Santa Fe (for the bypass).
Do not be on the highway #102 between Alamo and Poza Rica after dark.
I had an interesting conversation with a friend who lives in Poza Rica and he doesn't like the #102 or the #180 up to Tampico these days and he is a guy who doesn't usually worry about too much. Just a heads up. You should be ok on the #102 during the day.
I have no idea about service in Cancun, maybe someone has a recommendation? I would not recommend the BMW dealer in Cancun, I have heard of nothing but horror stories, added expenses, and shoddy work being done there. If you need anything, you might be in for a 3 day wait in Cancun, dealers are carrying less inventory these days and don't give a damn about riders, they are too busy selling Mini Coopers and fashion accessories, unfortunately. Maybe you can find an independent mechanic. In fact, in the entire east and southeast of Mexico, including Oaxaca, I can only recommend Rafael at MotoPits, the dealerships are disasters.
The weather that is coming means you'll have gusty conditions near the coast, however, on Thursday as you push south, you'll be in gusty conditions, a little less so as you will be inland for most of the way and there could be some heavy rains, possibly at night.
Be prepared for the rains. They are forecasting torrential rains of up to a foot or so for Tabasco/Chiapas on Wednesday, but only about 6 inches of rain for Thursday. Watch for windy conditions as you approach the narrowing of the Isthmus of Tehuantepec.
The rains will generally be intense and short, not an all day type of event at this time of year.
This is supposedly the last north wind storm of the season.
Remember that Primero de Mayo is "Dia del Trabajo" and is celebrated by most people in municipal, state, and federal workplaces. There could be a little more traffic. Cinco de Mayo, oddly enough, is not overly celebrated in Mexico, except for Puebla. It has become more of a gringo thing in the USA, but the 1st of May is definitely marked and celebrated everywhere in Mexico.
Here is the weather forecast, it might change a little but likely not much:
PRONÓSTICO PARA EL MIERCOLES 30 DE ABRIL:
El frente frío No. 54, se extenderá por la mañana desde los Grandes Lagos, EUA., hasta la costa norte de Veracruz, avanzando hacia el sureste, a su paso ocacionará lluvias (0.1 a 25.0 mm) en Zacatecas, Coahuila, Tamaulipas, México, Distrito Federal, Morelos, Guanajuato, Querétaro y Tlaxcala, lluvias fuertes (25 a 50 mm) en San Luis Potosí, lluvias muy fuertes (50 a 75 mm) en Hidalgo y Puebla, lluvias intensas (75 a 150 mm) en Oaxaca y Veracruz y lluvias torrenciales (150 a 250 mm) en Tabasco y Chiapas. El aire frío asociado favorecerá evento de “Norte” de con rachas de viento de hasta 60 km/h en lel litoral del Golgo de México; asi como un ligero descenso de temperatura en los estados del norte y noreste del país.

PRONÓSTICO PARA EL JUEVES 01 DE MAYO:
El sistema frontal No. 54, se extenderá por la mañana desde los Grandes Lagos, EUA., hasta centro del Golfo de México, continuando como estacionario hasta la costa sur de Veracruz, asu paso favorecerá lluvias (0.1 a 25.0 mm) en México, Distrito Federal, Tlaxcala y Quintana Roo, lluvias fuertes (25 a 50 mm) en Puebla, Hidalgo, Campeche y Yucatán, lluvias muy fuertes (50 a 75 mm) en Oaxaca y lluvias intensas (75 a 150 mm) en Veracruz , Tabasco y Chiapas. El aire frío asociado favorecerá evento de “Norte” con viento de hasta 60 km/h en el litoral del Golfo de México y de hasta 80 km/h en el Istmo y Golfo de Tehuantepec.
Sección 2. Pronóstico para Condición de “Norte” en el Golfo de México
Período de Pronóstico
Intensidad de “Norte”
Región o estados con afectación

29 de abril
50 km/h
Litoral de Tamaulipas
30 de abril
60 km/h
Litoral del Golfo de México
01 de mayo
60 km/h//80 km/h
Litoral del Golfo de México// Istmo y Golfo de Tehuantepec
Thank you! Thanks amazing information. I'm wondering then if we should avoid this intense weather altogether and go South instead to Puebla, then head East from there?

We are trying to decide right now how important a service at Motopits is in the next few days, or if we can stop there when we loop back from Playa Del Carmen. If we can do it on our way back, I was thinking we'd try to get too Tuxtepec and then make our way to Palenque from there. Any thoughts?

Sarah
sarahtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #22713
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtesla View Post
Thank you! Thanks amazing information. I'm wondering then if we should avoid this intense weather altogether and go South instead to Puebla, then head East from there?

We are trying to decide right now how important a service at Motopits is in the next few days, or if we can stop there when we loop back from Playa Del Carmen. If we can do it on our way back, I was thinking we'd try to get too Tuxtepec and then make our way to Palenque from there. Any thoughts?

Sarah

ummmm... Did you say Playa Del Carmen and INTENSE WEATHER in the same paragraph!?1? Give me a minute or two while I get over the shakes...
You might want to avoid Play Del Carman in intense weather and seek higher ground. Then again, if you like water & adventure on a bike..go for it.

Don't ask how I know

Take a look here. Not my video but I was riding (swimming) through on this exact day heading North. The fun/excitement factor lasted about 15 minutes and then it got intense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4osiuRufzw
PlznMySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #22714
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

If you can wait on the service, no worries. Rafa is usually always around. Any idea on what service you might need??
Both Puebla and Oaxaca have rain in the forecast, but your ride will be much better via Puebla and Oxaca instead of fighting with overloaded sugar cane trucks and semis on the coast highway. It will also be much less boring as the coastal geography is monotonous after awhile. Oaxaca via Tehuacan will be much more interesting. Head to Tlacotepec de Benito Juarez and then down to Tehuacan or to Guadalupe Victoria and then to Tehuacan, that is a very interesting state highway with good scenery parallel to Pico de Orizaba on the high plain.
I'll forward contact info via PM. Very busy as I am catching up after basically a two week break for Semana Santa Easter holidays and springbreak all rolled into one.
You are going to really like Oaxaca, rain or shine, but you'll have your hands full with rain in Tabasco if it follows what is being forecast.
Your call.
Weather should be nice for the rest of your trip south apart from the last north winds coming through starting tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #22715
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlznMySoul View Post
ummmm... Did you say Playa Del Carmen and INTENSE WEATHER in the same paragraph!?1? Give me a minute or two while I get over the shakes...
You might want to avoid Play Del Carman in intense weather and seek higher ground. Then again, if you like water & adventure on a bike..go for it.

Don't ask how I know

Take a look here. Not my video but I was riding (swimming) through on this exact day heading North. The fun/excitement factor lasted about 15 minutes and then it got intense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4osiuRufzw
PDC, Plzn not Ciudad del Carmen where you got soaked! LOL!
Old 04-29-2014, 02:41 PM   #22716
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
PDC, Plzn not Ciudad del Carmen where you got soaked! LOL!

OH! OK Mike As you can see...That was ONE event I will never forget. Anytime I hear CARMEN I start shivering

Oh well... SCRATCH that Sarahtesla.. Ride Safe
Old 04-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #22717
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlznMySoul View Post
OH! OK Mike As you can see...That was ONE event I will never forget. Anytime I hear CARMEN I start shivering

Oh well... SCRATCH that Sarahtesla.. Ride Safe
Yeah, but that sax player got your mojo dried out!
Still have to get to tracking him down and see who he's jamming with these days.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:01 AM   #22718
PlznMySoul
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, but that sax player got your mojo dried out!
Still have to get to tracking him down and see who he's jamming with these days.

Come on Mike... take a quick ride over there on a Friday or Saturday early evening to check it out and let the story unfold.

.........and be sure to say hello to the ladies at the desk next door for me
Old 04-30-2014, 09:02 AM   #22719
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Hey! I'm a busy guy LOL! I'll get on it.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:32 AM   #22720
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Plzn, we need that sax guy to compose a little score to go with this...coastal skies at dawn are always such divas. About 4 hours ago.

Go placidly amid the Pemexs on the Mex #180, and remember what peace there may be in programming a better route into your GPS.

As far as possible with total surrender be on good terms with the Virgin of Guadalupe.

Speak your exchange rates quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the watch sellers and the pickpockets; they too have their story you have your TVIP.

Avoid loud and aggressive ADV riders, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with Malcolm Smith, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself...or Trice.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own Guia Roji, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your Guia Roji; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is in Sjoerd's guide; many persons strive for 5 star hotel rooms; and everywhere life is full of toilets without seats.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection for BMW. Neither be cynical about Harleys; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as a KTM. Just ask Donnie!

Take kindly the counsel of the transitos, gracefully surrendering the ability of flipping them off. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune and wallet draining mordidas.

But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and taco stands. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with your use of Bob Loblaw's Senokot.

You are a child of the universe, unlike the motherless service manager at the BMW dealership; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it wants to.

Therefore be at peace with your digestive tract, whatever you conceive it to be attempting to manage, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of a border crossing keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful thread on an ADV forum. Be cheerful. Strive to be off the road at dark in a no-tell motel adjusting your chain, and syncing your injectors to the ones on either side of your room...

Desiderata
Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 AM   #22721
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Mike Mike, you are an artist and poet. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:22 AM   #22722
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, George.
But the words were a "take off" on the original "Desiderata" poem.
And that sky, well, I'd like to thank my balcony and my little pocket Samsung camera for that one.
Had to press the Samsung back into service as my new Nikon DSLR has a dust problem it seems.
That Samsung is the KLR of cameras. Anybody wanna buy a Nikon?
Old 04-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #22723
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,522
Travel advisoring.
just be careful if crossing by Reynosa, the local scumbags are fighting against each other to instate their own new local plaza leader... crossfire and chases are happening at different times of the day on different areas.
It started on Monday and looks like will last up to this weekend.

our marines kill them at any chance they have, but these cockroaches are like the gremlings with water...

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #22724
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
mexico

So....this is what I have learned...so far....as there is still much learning to be done. IMO, Mexico is not for begiñners. I have been challenged more here on a personal ,physical and mental level than anywhere.... but that's why I came.

I way over packed....I need to work on my tight u turn skills....I need to learn more Spanish....

But.....I love the chaos of the roads and the drivers....anything goes! Passing on corners on mountain roads,a great bit of sporting fun!

The surprise of what the hotel room will be like,what will work and what won't.....and to not call eggs" huevos" in rural mexico,everyone had a great laugh over that.

Cheers! Ride safe everyone!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 PM   #22725
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 859
Glad you are here and getting it figured out. I have been here 6 years and I'm still challenged and need to learn more Spanish. And I love it here.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote