Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #22741
theshnizzle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
WAY TO GO SHNIZZLE and Canoeguy .!
Toll roads can be great for making time and distance if one is pressed by a schedule as you are and many mountain country "Cuotas" do have excellent scenery sections .As a first time visitor ANY road will be a new adventure so getting the toll road done once will whet your appetite for the slower even more scenic and curvy highways to the same destinations. Trouble is that the fast roads may lure you into Mexico so far that on the way out you may again need to resort to more toll roads to stay within your tight schedule.

NEXT trip to Mexico you will be better able to judge things ... and pack lighter... but by now you can put yourself above the rank of total Mexico noob as it is obvious you are enjoying it.Hey , somehow you navigated around Mexico City ,....and survived.! A lesser rider would by this point have had a broken will, tucked tail between legs and disappeared back over the US border. I bet now you are not getting saddle sore as on the Interstates

You bet it was a challenge getting around MX city! And I will admit to feeling a mite overwhelmed at times,trying to navigate the cities,looking for particular motels,watching traffic lights,pedestrians, and the heat. When the locals are saying its hot,this poor Canadian in the klim outfit is barely hanging on.

Taking the toll road was a choice based on two things...times but mostly, we had reached our 'tope limit'! We needed a break from the endless non-stop topes of the libre roads. I always seem to take this just a tic fast,and every time I go' whoops'

I will hang in Oaxaca until Monday and then start heading homeward. I spent the day walking around the city. My feet are the size of small balloons right now.

Our hotel is fantastic, we are very pleased with it,secure parking and three blocks from the square and the price can't be beat.

Cheers all!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:21 PM   #22742
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Our hotel is fantastic, we are very pleased with it,secure parking and three blocks from the square and the price can't be beat.
What is this hotel called?
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #22743
theshnizzle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,284
Hotel cauliapan on trujane just west of j.p. Garcia on the south side of trujane. Rooms are huge, no ac,,just so you know, but a fan, WiFi, good clean hotel.
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #22744
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Excellent decision to start the return leg from Oaxaca the city. Reality has settled gently on you and you have enough sense to let the far reaching beach plans drift off into the sunset while you now give yourself the room for a comfortable pace northward .And that route will begin with highway ...? Solo now so take it slow and easy.
Enjoy Oacaca and maybe a visit to Monte Alban above town on that mountain op. Slow and easy is more fun, no deadlines to nag at you.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #22745
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 9,121
From Our Scuba Diving Mexico Department

Time to catch up to my man subcomm (and Termite and freeflow) and head to Aldora Divers and get that Divermaster certification.

There's great Scuba Diving to be had all over Mexico

This is some of the best video work (and sound, too) I've seen:

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:48 PM   #22746
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Laugh

[QUOTE=tricepilot;
There's great [URL="http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437533"]Scuba Diving[/URL] to be had all over Mexico
.... if you say so Bob , but it must be kind of rough diving around Zacatecas though
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #22747
sarahtesla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Laugh

Greetings from Tulum! We have had quite the adventure riding through Mexico the past week. Been meeting lots of great people on the road and doing our best to explore places off the beaten track.

I wanted to mention that we camped in Calakmul the other night and did a visit to those ruins. Really interesting place, which we'd like to recommend. It's a 70km ride from the highway into the jungle to see it, but you certainly feel its historical significance. You get here via Mex 186, which is the road to Chetumal.

Once you get closer to Chetumal there is a VERY good BBQ place called Carnitas Estilo Michoachan (El Rincon Tarasco) for pollo asados and home made tortillas. They also made me a veggie friendly option, although they did laugh at me for asking. My husband said is was the best BBQ chicken he's ever had. That says a lot, cause he eats a lot of chicken!

We're in Tulum/Playa Del Carmen this week and are considering going South to Panama City rather than back through Mexico. If anyone has some insights on bike shipping, we'd sure love to hear them!

Best
Sarah

http://instagram.com/lostnotfoundin
sarahtesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #22748
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtesla View Post
We're in Tulum/Playa Del Carmen this week and are considering going South to Panama City rather than back through Mexico. If anyone has some insights on bike shipping, we'd sure love to hear them!

Best
Sarah
My man Pete has blazed this trail for you in this post:

Shipping Home from Panama

I say head for Panama

All you have to do is press the EASY button

Since it has already crossed your mind - you'll be thinking about it forever if you don't go.

"One day and some day are not coming"

- A. J. Stewart
Old 05-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #22749
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

PS, while you're heading south, stop in Roatan, Honduras, my home away from home, for some snorkeling or scuba diving

Tell Mandy or Yolanda at Anthony's Key (north shore) I sent ya

Old 05-04-2014, 04:22 PM   #22750
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtesla View Post
Greetings from Tulum! We have had quite the adventure riding through Mexico the past week. Been meeting lots of great people on the road and doing our best to explore places off the beaten track.

I wanted to mention that we camped in Calakmul the other night and did a visit to those ruins. Really interesting place, which we'd like to recommend. It's a 70km ride from the highway into the jungle to see it, but you certainly feel its historical significance. You get here via Mex 186, which is the road to Chetumal.

Once you get closer to Chetumal there is a VERY good BBQ place called Carnitas Estilo Michoachan (El Rincon Tarasco) for pollo asados and home made tortillas. They also made me a veggie friendly option, although they did laugh at me for asking. My husband said is was the best BBQ chicken he's ever had. That says a lot, cause he eats a lot of chicken!

Best
Sarah

http://instagram.com/lostnotfoundin
Really enjoyed reading about your trip and seeing the pics. So cool that you guys are getting to do this together.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:18 AM   #22751
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 16,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Time to catch up to my man subcomm (and Termite and freeflow) and head to Aldora Divers and get that Divermaster certification.

There's great Scuba Diving to be had all over Mexico

This is some of the best video work (and sound, too) I've seen:

nice stuff !...had some great dive trips last week in Roatan Honduras....and helped keep the lionfish population under control...;)

I haven't dove Cozumel in over a decade....the cenotes south of Playa near Akumal were pretty cool...
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:30 AM   #22752
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^ Note the hoodie on that guy in the video capture

I finally broke down and wore one on Bonaire and man, it made all the difference.

Three cheers on Roatan

Becky and Andrea recently left out of Utila, Roatan's neighbor to the west.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #22753
schmoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I've been lurking for several months and growing my desire to ride through Mexico. The plan is for later this year.

In any case, I just came across this and thought it might be of interest. http://anthonybourdain.tumblr.com/po...er-the-volcano
schmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:54 AM   #22754
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Schmoo, that last paragraph is exactly what you are going to see.
The only thing that Bourdain is missing is a mention of the Virgin of Guadalupe.

It doesn't matter worth a damn if you believe or not, but like the wee people at that bridge on the Isle of Man that the racers visit, she is worth putting your faith in.

After your first 24hrs in Mexico you will understand this.
If the Leafs ever put a shrine to her in their dressing room, it'll be 1967 all over again.

Yep, powerful stuff.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 07:00 AM   #22755
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoo View Post
In any case, I just came across this and thought it might be of interest. http://anthonybourdain.tumblr.com/po...er-the-volcano
Excellent link