User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #22741
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
Now that is cool!
I love the small Mexican fairs and circuses, even though the chief clown of the country, EPN, has been trying to put them out of business.
Hope you go to the show!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #22742
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,979
For me Mexico has always involved the really cool. unexpected encounters. This ranks right up there at the top. Thanks for sharing.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #22743
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Oh , come now, seriously ?....isn't that one of those conspiracy theories where the sinister powers of some shadowy evil organization or alien invader is seaking world domination ( not Google ) and trying to take over all our minds by spraying chemicals from jet engines ?
Conspiracy theories like this would be a lot more credible if the President of the United States was able to get a blowie in the White House without the entire planet finding out.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:31 AM   #22744
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
Conspiracy theories like this would be a lot more credible if the President of the United States was able to get a blowie in the White House without the entire planet finding out.
Obviously you and Sjoerd are part of the conspiracy and the cover-up.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #22745
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

The world, and Hillary, would have known nothing if he hadn't had a talking humidor.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #22746
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,582
For anyone here that may live in Durango (or Veracruz), you may want to make note of this, from the US news outlet for the LCP, Gerie Bledsoe:

"**PAN AM 2014 TO END IN DURANGO
According to Eduardo “Lalo” Leon, the President Emeritus of La Carrera Panamericana, the event this year will end in the city of Durango, which is around 200 miles northwest of Zacatecas.
The tentative route includes: Veracruz, Oaxaca, Mexico City/State of Mexico, Morelia, Guanajuato, Zacatecas, and Durango. Queretaro may or may not be added later.
By ending in Durango, the race will follow more of the route of the original Pan Am, 1950-1954, which went from Zacatecas to the city of Durango and then up to Chihuahua City before ending in Cd. Juarez. (Zacatecas and Durango are the capitals of Mexican states by the same name.).
Durango is a city of over 500,000 inhabitants, located in a valley (1880 meters or 6170 feet high) on the western side of the country. It is separated from the Sea of Cortes by a mountain range. The road over the mountains, known as the Backbone of the Devil, is infamous in Mexico. Whether or not the Pan Am cars will tackle it is yet to be decided. (Mark's note: From Zac, I'd kinda doubt it, but it would be cool. And you never know with Mexican detours)

The climate is semi-arid. In October, the days should be warm (80 F.) and sunny, while the nights will be cool (48 F.) There is always the possibility of a little rain in October, too.
The city is known for its cathedral, iron ore, basketball, baseball, and bull fights. Perhaps the city has a burro to carry around a big jug of mezcal…..after the race ends.
Horacio Chousal has been appointed to handle the route book and timing, while Carlos Cordero will be back as Race Director. Both managed the Chihuahua Express in April.
Tech and registration for the event will take place in the convention center in Veracruz once again, October 14-16. It is also possible that one or two speed stages will be planned for the state of Veracruz on Friday morning, October 17, Day 1 of the event."
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #22747
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,275
WAY TO GO SHNIZZLE and Canoeguy .!
Toll roads can be great for making time and distance if one is pressed by a schedule as you are and many mountain country "Cuotas" do have excellent scenery sections .As a first time visitor ANY road will be a new adventure so getting the toll road done once will whet your appetite for the slower even more scenic and curvy highways to the same destinations. Trouble is that the fast roads may lure you into Mexico so far that on the way out you may again need to resort to more toll roads to stay within your tight schedule.

NEXT trip to Mexico you will be better able to judge things ... and pack lighter... but by now you can put yourself above the rank of total Mexico noob as it is obvious you are enjoying it.Hey , somehow you navigated around Mexico City ,....and survived.! A lesser rider would by this point have had a broken will, tucked tail between legs and disappeared back over the US border. I bet now you are not getting saddle sore as on the Interstates
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #22748
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 995
Quote:
Originally Posted by shu View Post
Turned south toward Rayon the other day....and after about 40 km I spotted a little white car with its hood up. I approached cautiously, remembering the recently posted San Pedro Guatemala robbery vid, and a woman stepped out from behind the car, waving me down. She explained that they- there were 3 of them- had run out of gas and wanted to know if I could help them out.

I had just filled up at the last town and had plenty to spare (19 liter tank) so while I pulled the fuel line off my tank, one of the men scrambled down the embankment and found a 2 liter juice bottle.

While we were filling the container - it took awhile with my small diameter fuel line- we chatted for a while. The woman picked up some rocks and began to juggle. Turns out they are part of a circus troupe and the third man gave me his card and invited me to attend their performance.
[/IMG]

..................shu
Posts like this make me miss Mexico all that much more. Good on you for taking a chance (and doing it cautiously), and helping someone.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #22749
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
According to Eduardo “Lalo” Leon, the President Emeritus of La Carrera Panamericana, the event this year will end in the city of Durango, which is around 200 miles northwest of Zacatecas.
The tentative route includes: Veracruz, Oaxaca, Mexico City/State of Mexico, Morelia, Guanajuato, Zacatecas, and Durango. Queretaro may or may not be added later.
There's a lot of excitement about this here in the DGO. I heard that the route will go west down the Espinazo to the Baluarte bridge, cross over and then back east on the new road and finish in the city. Should be fun to watch!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #22750
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
It was a last resort for me, but still it was a surprise compared to the toll roads I am used to.

We needed to get here so shnizzle could recover a day or so before the long way home. I on the other hand am heading on towards Panama so my adventure is just getting started.
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #22751
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,477
Holy Shiite This Sounds Fun

La Carrerra Panamericana
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...wyFS5yGjXsEfMg
PAPA
SJTRA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #22752
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

You know that section of the Cumbres de Acultzingo from Acultzingo just past Ciudad Mendoza? A couple of years ago one of the competitors launched his Studebaker off the road near Puerto del Aire at the top.
Be interesting to see what happens with the new route.
They used to start downtown near the Pemex building.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #22753
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,477
This is officially on my bucket list.
PAPA
SJTRA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:15 PM   #22754
theshnizzle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Toll roads can be great for making time and distance if one is pressed by a schedule as you are and many mountain country "Cuotas" do have excellent scenery sections .As a first time visitor ANY road will be a new adventure so getting the toll road done once will whet your appetite for the slower even more scenic and curvy highways to the same destinations. Trouble is that the fast roads may lure you into Mexico so far that on the way out you may again need to resort to more toll roads to stay within your tight schedule.

NEXT trip to Mexico you will be better able to judge things ... and pack lighter... but by now you can put yourself above the rank of total Mexico noob as it is obvious you are enjoying it.Hey , somehow you navigated around Mexico City ,....and survived.! A lesser rider would by this point have had a broken will, tucked tail between legs and disappeared back over the US border. I bet now you are not getting saddle sore as on the Interstates

You bet it was a challenge getting around MX city! And I will admit to feeling a mite overwhelmed at times,trying to navigate the cities,looking for particular motels,watching traffic lights,pedestrians, and the heat. When the locals are saying its hot,this poor Canadian in the klim outfit is barely hanging on.

Taking the toll road was a choice based on two things...times but mostly, we had reached our 'tope limit'! We needed a break from the endless non-stop topes of the libre roads. I always seem to take this just a tic fast,and every time I go' whoops'

I will hang in Oaxaca until Monday and then start heading homeward. I spent the day walking around the city. My feet are the size of small balloons right now.

Our hotel is fantastic, we are very pleased with it,secure parking and three blocks from the square and the price can't be beat.

Cheers all!
theshnizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #22755
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshnizzle View Post
Our hotel is fantastic, we are very pleased with it,secure parking and three blocks from the square and the price can't be beat.
What is this hotel called?