ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #22831
canoeguy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: SW Virginia
Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Yes, you are a wise man, TC.
The part I don't like is the "throw more guns at the problem" solutions that are being adopted by the PRI. Yes, Calderon was guilty of this, but at least his idea was to arm the military and not civilians.

Rule number one I have when I ride here (especially alone) is to avoid groups of idle young males in rural areas. 99% of any trouble involves this part of the population. Idle young males in rural areas with access to modern firearms gets filed in the "no sale muy bueno" category on the checklist.
It is an interesting problem and no doubt goes beyond what this gringo understand.

However coming from a country that is riddled with guns and with a gun loving culture I have to make an observation.

Americans are shocked that for countries that have quite restrictive gun laws like most of Central America that the presence of firearms is so much more prevalent here than at home. Gas stations, banks, grocery stores and national parks. The cops and military roaming the streets with machine guns.

Gun debates are vicious and serve no purpose so I am not going to start one. I am just pointing out that it is a shame that these countries feel that it is a necessity to show such a force of arms.
canoeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #22832
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kiko's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Jalisco, Mexico
Oddometer: 1,427
I had a visit with three cartel members who came to my home around a month ago. They offered to 'help' me with a 'problem neighbor', (long story about land grab and water rights. etc.)

Towards the end of the conversation I warned them that the 'problem neighbor' carried a 357 pistol with him at all times. One of the cartel guys just laughed and replied, 'tengo amigos con armas mas grandes'. I thought that was pretty funny.

And the 'problem neighbor', he decided to go to the US for a 6 month vacation the next day. Smart guy.
__________________
Echale compa!
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:33 AM   #22833
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Yes, you are a wise man, TC.
The part I don't like is the "throw more guns at the problem" solutions that are being adopted by the PRI. Yes, Calderon was guilty of this, but at least his idea was to arm the military and not civilians.

Rule number one I have when I ride here (especially alone) is to avoid groups of idle young males in rural areas. 99% of any trouble involves this part of the population. Idle young males in rural areas with access to modern firearms gets filed in the "no sale muy bueno" category on the checklist.
Thanks but I don't know how wise I am MM. Avoiding groups of young males in almost any situation and locale is a good practice
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #22834
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo
 
Turkeycreek's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Banámichi, Sonora, Mexico
Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by canoeguy View Post
It is an interesting problem and no doubt goes beyond what this gringo understand.

However coming from a country that is riddled with guns and with a gun loving culture I have to make an observation.

Americans are shocked that for countries that have quite restrictive gun laws like most of Central America that the presence of firearms is so much more prevalent here than at home. Gas stations, banks, grocery stores and national parks. The cops and military roaming the streets with machine guns.

Gun debates are vicious and serve no purpose so I am not going to start one. I am just pointing out that it is a shame that these countries feel that it is a necessity to show such a force of arms.
This has more to do with corruption. My first rule is to determine who benefits monetarily.
__________________
Mexico - Dream, Discover, Ride
Hotel Los Arcos, Northern Sonora's Motorcycle Haven
http://www.losarcossonora.com
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #22835
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Thanks but I don't know how wise I am MM. Avoiding groups of young males in almost any situation and locale is a good practice
PRI is just following their playbook with this move. "Keep your enemies closer", and all that. Not sure how much the autodefensas are dominated by young, heavily armed men - not by the few news articles I've read - but my very limited experience has been men in their 30's - 50's running a tight, if not somewhat unnerving, operation. I expect these groups run the gamut from region to region.

Also in the news is how MJ legalization is driving kilo prices from $100 to $25 and some farmers are choosing not to replant. One can only guess the change in cartel business models in response to this loss of revenue. Something else to watch closely.

From ColbyCheese: https://news.vice.com/article/legal-...exican-cartels
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated)

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #22836
shu
...
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 968
Meanwhile, a day in the life......

I've been in Veracruz for a week now, studying Spanish at the Language Immersion School (which I recommend).

http://www.veracruzspanish.com/default.htm

But learning a language can be hard work so for
the weekend, I took a short ride to Orizaba, a small city in the mountains west of Veracruz.

Sjoerd's book (and my GPS) got me to the Hotel Arenas hidden in the street behind the church, next to the Zocalo. You'll all recognize this as so typical of Mexico: Ride through the portal.....




and continue straight up the aisle through the garden...



and park by your room, next to the fountain..




Very inexpensive hotel..130 pesos($10). The rooms are spartan and a bit worse for wear but they are clean and functional -fine by me.


Later I went for a walk and found a barbershop. Mario, the barber, and I talked about our kids while he cut my hair. Mario has a son who lives in Kansas, manages a transport company and who speaks 3 languages. Mario is obviously quite proud of him.





A little off the top, please, Mario. Perfect...


"Mario, are you familiar with Mahatma Gandhi?"
"Si...."

..................shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 PM   #22837
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,457
Very nice, Shu.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated)

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #22838
jimmex
Rider
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,174
This is one of my favorite things about touring Mexico: the unexpected pleasures of small family run hotels and restaurants.
__________________
Guero from Texas

jimmex screwed with this post 05-11-2014 at 09:44 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #22839
rodrut
Ride Central America
 
rodrut's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Ft Worth Texas
Oddometer: 44
Texas to Antigua

I'm finally planning my 1st trip through Mexico. Shooting for the latter part of September riding from Ft Worth to Antigua Guatemala and ending up in lower Belize. I just ordered Sjoerd's book today and would am looking forward to the trip. I'm not in a hurry to blast through so was interested in your opion of a nice route down that has some " you gotta see that" appeal. We should have 3-4 bikes making the trip. Thanx for your input.
__________________
"Life is a daring adventure, or nothing"
rodrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #22840
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrut View Post
I'm finally planning my 1st trip through Mexico. Shooting for the latter part of September riding from Ft Worth to Antigua Guatemala and ending up in lower Belize. I just ordered Sjoerd's book today and would am looking forward to the trip. I'm not in a hurry to blast through so was interested in your opion of a nice route down that has some " you gotta see that" appeal. We should have 3-4 bikes making the trip. Thanx for your input.
How many days?
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated)

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #22841
rodrut
Ride Central America
 
rodrut's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Ft Worth Texas
Oddometer: 44
I would like to make it to Belize within 14 days. The only stops I have planned now are Antigua Flores Guatemala and seeing Tikal. I would like to take a Mexico track that would have the most character.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"Life is a daring adventure, or nothing"
rodrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #22842
decosting
n00b
 
Joined: May 2014
Oddometer: 1
3 week trip from Austin down the coast (inc. DF)

Hi y'all!

I just found this forum and am stoked it exists! I've gone all around the US on my 30 year old Yamaha and with an 3 week break I'd like to head down into Mexico. This will be starting around June 5th, and I'll be solo.

I'll be leaving from Austin, TX and ultimately ending up in Mexico City, but I'd like to see as much of the coast as possible before then. Basically I am trying to visit a friend and DF, but instead of flying down, I'm going to take the bike and make a trip of it!

Any route tips, advice, supplies, anything at all that y'all would like to share with me would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance!

- decosting

decosting screwed with this post 05-13-2014 at 12:12 PM
decosting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #22843
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Oddometer: 1,184
Hoi Rodrut, your book is on the way since 2pm yesterday, should be at your door in about 10 days or less,
and decosting ,you have an email on your inbox,


Rod, if you are giving yourself a mere 14 days to get to southern Belize with a scenic dawdling Mexico track with "character" then your trip plan may actually be verging on " a hurry to blast through"
This from a guy who has on occasion taken two weeks in Mexico to reach Tampico!
No really ,I am serious, you will be amazed at how easily you can spend two weeks if you get engrossed in finding all kinds of enjoyable paved back roads and stop to smell the flowers. Remember no riding at night and make it into a real vacation trip .Are you on a committed schedule or appointed arrival time ?Stop wherever whenever, not only at the one or two spots you may have set your sights on right now.Laze around the plazas occasionally, start each day with a breakfast somewhere and get underway slowly. Shut off that alarm clock.
And do not put too much stock in "planning" . A recent newcomer to Mexican travel made extensive plans as to what she wanted to see. In the end she apparently had a memorable trip but she did NOT do any of the things and routes nor get as far as set out in a "plan" before the trip.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #22844
bluesurf
en dos ruedas
 
bluesurf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Taxville
Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrut View Post
I would like to make it to Belize within 14 days. The only stops I have planned now are Antigua Flores Guatemala and seeing Tikal. I would like to take a Mexico track that would have the most character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by decosting View Post
Hi y'all!

I just found this forum and am stoked it exists! I've gone all around the US on my 30 year old Yamaha and with an 3 week break I'd like to head down into Mexico. This will be starting around June 5th, and I'll be solo.

I'll be leaving from Austin, TX and ultimately ending up in Mexico City, but I'd like to see as much of the coast as possible before then. Basically I am trying to visit a friend and DF, but instead of flying down, I'm going to take the bike and make a trip of it!

Any route tips, advice, supplies, anything at all that y'all would like to share with me would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance!

- decosting
When I think of the time spent during a 4 month trip in Mexico, a couple of places come back crystal clear.

Basaseachic Falls. It is amazing to be able to stand at the top and look down 800 feet. There was noone else there when I visited, which made the experience even better. I have no idea if it's running at the current time, however.

Palenque is also a memorable location. Being out in the jungle, amidst all of the ruins that are still being uncovered, was somewhat transcendental.

Sigh...there are also Zihuatanejo, a very cool little town near Ixtapa, the ruins at Teotihuacan, Agua Azul falls and pools, surfing Puerto Escondido with 2 other locals out, San Cristobal de las Casas, the farmers market and moles in Oaxaca, how desolate Veracruz actually was, riding nearly sideways in to the wind by Tuxtla, etc. Not to mention all of the riding I did while not seeing anyone for hours, and all of the people I met along the way.

You'll have a great time!

btw - 14 days is not nearly long enough.....
__________________
Ride Travel Explore Live

bluesurf screwed with this post 05-13-2014 at 12:53 PM
bluesurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #22845
rodrut
Ride Central America
 
rodrut's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Ft Worth Texas
Oddometer: 44
Texas to Belize

Hey Sjoerd, thanx for sending the book so fast and your advice is well received. I appreciate knowing that. I was only thinking about daily miles traveled and can adjust the dates to make the trip more enjoyable. I can bypass Guatemala on this trip since I have ridden there many times already. In Mexico, I have only ridden from Belize to Cancun and it was all pretty much hiway travel. So far, I have never been north of the Yucatan so really looking forward to experiencing the towns all south of Texas. I really would like to get a good taste of the real Mexico and don’t want to miss opportunities for the sake of a timeline. I enjoy those moments of a quick stop for a cerveza that turns into an afternoon of playing guitar and singing on the front porch with the locals. Those moments are what make motorcycle travel so incredible to me. I remember a past post about an area in Mexico that had “lane changing” with the big white arrows painted on the road. Have you seen this and is worth planning into the trip down? I’m hoping to hear from the ADV seasoned Mexico riders like yourself to put together a loose framework of a cool trip down. Thank you for taking time to share your advice. Rod
__________________
"Life is a daring adventure, or nothing"
rodrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014