Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #22846
Lilbloody
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Riding solo around Southern MX/Belize/Guatemala.. any contacts?

Hey there folks..

Heather here again. Starting around June 1 I'm heading southeast from San Miguel de Allende up into the Yucatan, then eventually through Belize, into Guatemala and back around to San Miguel via Oaxaca. I was originally going to do this part of my trip with someone, but some things happened and he's no longer planning to come.

So.. any of you kind people know anyone in these regions who might be willing to connect with me? Even for a cup of coffee and some English conversation? Pretty sure I'll be getting starved for that from time to time

Probably a good idea for safety reasons too..

Any connections, route advise or thoughts in general much appreciated.

H

PS I just updated my blog with my experiences crossing the border into Mexico. I can't express how grateful I am to all who've helped me or offered kind words so far. Cheers :)

http://thefrighteningandbeautiful.bl...to-mexico.html
Lilbloody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #22847
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,980
The lane changing road is through the Cumbres de Acultzingo, Veracruz just past Ciudad Mendoza and to Puerto del Aire near Azumbilla, Puebla. Very good road, and it will scare you shtless if you get it wrong, so dont. It is more fun in the rain or fog. LOL!
PM me for routing info via Puebla to Oaxaca on a really good route that incorporates that section and the Cumbres de Maltrata.
I ride it fairly often, might get some video of it up in the future.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:19 PM   #22848
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,203
Tricepilot of Arabia...

Just finished filming a segment of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade II at Petra, Jordan

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #22849
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
Question Hola inmate

My friend Alex and his wife traveling the world from Malaysia. They are stuck in Guadalajara Mexico due to a mishaps. They got over take by a big truck and ran them off the road. They are fine but suffer few broken ribs. They have to extend their stay in Mexico with their bike. How can he get an extension of his TVIP? He talk to an Immigration officer and they told him to take the bike back to International border crossing He have to stay off the bike for few weeks per Doctor order so riding back to the border is not an option. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance for your help.
Scubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:29 PM   #22850
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

"I tucked my gloves into my helmet and stood by the bike looking up and down the country road and across the field of green wheat wondering who was going to help me this time, and what it would lead to. I did not doubt that help would come and with it most probably some unexpected twist in my fortune. It had taken years to achieve that measure of confidence and calm, and as I waited I allowed myself some pleasure in knowing it."

-Ted Simon

Sent to me via Bingo43
Old 05-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #22851
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
My friend Alex and his wife traveling the world from Malaysia. They are stuck in Guadalajara Mexico due to a mishaps. They got over take by a big truck and ran them off the road. They are fine but suffer few broken ribs. They have to extend their stay in Mexico with their bike. How can he get an extension of his TVIP? He talk to an Immigration officer and they told him to take the bike back to International border crossing He have to stay off the bike for few weeks per Doctor order so riding back to the border is not an option. Any suggestion? Thanks in advance for your help.
TVIPs are not extendable. If the way this turns out is that his TVIP expires, the forfeiture of the deposit will be viewed over time as a minor inconvenience.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #22852
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Thanks

So that it ? He can just leave Mexico and just loosing the deposite?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
TVIPs are not extendable. If the way this turns out is that his TVIP expires, the forfeiture of the deposit will be viewed over time as a minor inconvenience.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #22853
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubalong View Post
So that it ? He can just leave Mexico and just loosing the deposite?
Yes. And if he doesn't care about the mess of obtaining a future TVIP with an uncancelled one on his record, he can ship his bikes somewhere.

Tell Alex to heal up, leave Mexico (and cancel the TVIP) when they're ready. If the TVIP is expired at that point, sure, they lose their deposits but that's part of the travel game. They could hire a truck to take them to the border before the TVIP expires, but is that worth it with broken ribs? All I've had is bruised ribs. Even those are not any fun at all.

It depends upon what kind of a rush they're in.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:48 PM   #22854
Scubalong
Studly Adventurer

Thumb

Thanks Tricepilot

I will relate the message and greatly appreciate your info.
He do plan to return and live in Mexico went him and his wife after finish RTW trip.

Quote:
Yes. And if he doesn't care about the mess of obtaining a future TVIP with an uncancelled one on his record, he can ship his bikes somewhere.

Tell Alex to heal up, leave Mexico (and cancel the TVIP) when they're ready. If the TVIP is expired at that point, sure, they lose their deposits but that's part of the travel game. They could hire a truck to take them to the border before the TVIP expires, but is that worth it with broken ribs? I've had just bruised ribs. They're not any fun at all.

It depends upon what kind of a rush they're in.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #22855
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by decosting View Post
Hi y'all!

I just found this forum and am stoked it exists! I've gone all around the US on my 30 year old Yamaha and with an 3 week break I'd like to head down into Mexico. This will be starting around June 5th, and I'll be solo.

I'll be leaving from Austin, TX and ultimately ending up in Mexico City, but I'd like to see as much of the coast as possible before then. Basically I am trying to visit a friend and DF, but instead of flying down, I'm going to take the bike and make a trip of it!

Any route tips, advice, supplies, anything at all that y'all would like to share with me would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance!

- decosting

decosting
There are a couple of inmates in the Austin area that could give you a ton of info in traveling Mexico.
Everyone has their preference, but for me I would recommend you stay away from the cost that time of year...it is HOT and HUMMID and that creates VERY bad travel conditions for me.
My recommendations is stay in the highlands where it is much cooler...if I were to take your trip to DF I would cross at Laredo to Saltillo....I would then go to Real de 14...then to Zacateca and on to San Miguel de Allende and on to DF.....I would come back through the Lake Chapala area then through Guadalajara and up to Fresnillo then I would go San Luis Potosi and go up to Matauala and turn off there through the mountains to Galiana and over to Linares and then exit in Reynosa or back to Laredo...
Like I said everyone has their own way,but this would me mine....the most important is get out and travel....have fun..

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #22856
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Tricepilot of Arabia...

Just finished filming a segment of Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade II at Petra, Jordan

Your picture reminds me of a story a good friend told me.......
He said he was in the area your in, he got a camel ride and while he was on the camel he asked the camel herder (or what ever they call them) if he would take his picture......the guy said sure, give me your camera.....my friend gave him his camera, the guy took his picture.....then my friend stuck out his hand for him to return his camera.......the guy said I take the picture for free, however it will cost you 100USD for you to get the camera....
I hope you had better luck with your picture.....

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:47 PM   #22857
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,731
Hope you don't come back from that camel ride with MERS. There are at least two cases in the US right now and the CDC is trying to track down about 500 people who may have been exposed.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #22858
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Hope you don't come back from that camel ride with MERS. There are at least two cases in the US right now and the CDC is trying to track down about 500 people who may have been exposed.

More concerned about the dreaded COUCH and FEAR viruses

All travel involves calculated risk. It's how you do the math.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #22859
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Tricepilot of Arabia...

Are you deliberately cropping the camel's toes?? I mean, both pix!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #22860
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^ There's a thread in the basement with plenty of camel toe