Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #22861
goodwithafork
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Hola mi amigos. Sorry for the silence, but I've been too busy paying attention to Mexico to pay attention to the computer :) I've been lounging around in Puerto Escondido for a couple weeks, ready to head south tomorrow.

Any suggestions on an interesting route from here to take to get into Guatemala? Thanks!

Oh, alternatively is it better to cross into Belize and then from Belize into Guatemala?

Right now I'm looking to roll along the coast to Tapachula, and then from Tapachula I'll jump over the border into Quezaltenago.

goodwithafork screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 09:54 AM
goodwithafork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #22862
Dirt Vader

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Keep in mind, many hotels in Mexico do not allow dogs.
or assholes
FOR SALE
04 Tuono 07 TE510 tagged
Dirt Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #22863
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwithafork View Post
Any suggestions on an interesting route from here to take to get into Guatemala? Thanks!
IIWM I'd route to San Cristóbal from there, and on to La Mesilla.

Extra Credit: dawdle at a few coffee fincas
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #22864
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,691
Quote:
Hola mi amigos. Sorry for the silence, but I've been too busy paying attention to Mexico to pay attention to the computer :) I've been lounging around in Puerto Escondido for a couple weeks, ready to head south tomorrow.

Oh, alternatively is it better to cross into Belize and then from Belize into Guatemala?

Right now I'm looking to roll along the coast to Tapachula, and then from Tapachula I'll jump over the border into Quezaltenago.
Look up dwj-Donnie in Tapachula.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #22865
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Vader View Post
or assholes
You make sounds like those I would expect to hear from the South end of a North bound horse.

Paul
Old 05-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #22866
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Vader View Post
or assholes
Dang,
Whats this about ?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #22867
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,691
Or maybe........

Once I got clear of Galeana's fog it rained to about San Luis Potosí then beautiful weather to Mexico City. Occasionally a driver would "ghost" me for a while, checking out the new GSA. Nearing the city a few wanted to challenge me Latino style (no road rage). I waited for the twisty mountain passes then showed off the bike some. There are plenty of cars that can beat this bike but not on this day.

After successfully navigating the magma flow that is Mexico City traffic I overlooked the open manhole at my very last turn and lodged my rear wheel firmly into the hole. Disabling traction control merely enabled smoking the rear tire. I was about to lay the bike on its side to spin it on the engine guard when I felt a tap on my shoulder. A middle-aged woman offered to push on the back of the bike to help me out. Sure, why not? Turns out it was all the help I needed. "¡Muchísimas gracias!", and the next moment I was at my destination.

Then we're off for tacos at Junior's after which I complete my first mission of the trip by giving my Goddaughter her birthday present. There's a princess inside every little girl. Lizzie put on the dress then sang and danced to the Disney video while we watched. Once again Mexico richly blesses my life. One way or another it happens every trip.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:21 AM   #22868
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Look up dwj-Donnie in Tapachula.
Would be nice, but we 200 miles north of there now and headed further north to visit Hector in Lazaro Cardenas. Should take about six weeks meandering around the Guadalajara to Queretaro area.
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:31 AM   #22869
Raoul Duke
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
"I tucked my gloves into my helmet and stood by the bike looking up and down the country road and across the field of green wheat wondering who was going to help me this time, and what it would lead to. I did not doubt that help would come and with it most probably some unexpected twist in my fortune. It had taken years to achieve that measure of confidence and calm, and as I waited I allowed myself some pleasure in knowing it."

-Ted Simon

Sent to me via Bingo43
Hey, Bingo got that from me....

How's it going Trice? LONG time!
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:37 AM   #22870
Raoul Duke
█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║▌ │

Oddometer: 911
Quote:

Have you considered the Frontera Corozal crossing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontera_Corozal,_Chiapas

You can load your bike in a little boat and cross the river that way to Bethel.

This is the concept. That's not a pissed-off look. That's just a best attempt and hiding terror...
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:55 AM   #22871
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
Sorry to hear that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbloody View Post
Hey there folks..

Heather here again. Starting around June 1 I'm heading southeast from San Miguel de Allende up into the Yucatan, then eventually through Belize, into Guatemala and back around to San Miguel via Oaxaca. I was originally going to do this part of my trip with someone, but some things happened and he's no longer planning to come.

Any connections, route advise or thoughts in general much appreciated.
H
Sorry to hear someone left you hanging. My worst pet peave. Check out the ride my buddy Paul and I did a few years ago. It's in my signature. We started about where you did. Leon, Guanajuato. Then headed through Orizaba, Ciudad del Carmen, Merida, (Chichen Itza)(Cenote swimming) Playa del Carmen, Orange Walk (Belize) San Ignacio (belize) ATM cave...one of the coolest things to see and do ever!, Tikal, Flores..then through Sayaxche to Lanquin to see the pools of water at Semuc Champey, then through Huehuetenango towards San Cristobal de las Casas then back to texas and home. We did all that in three weeks and it felt pretty relaxing. We did not have an agenda other than to get to the Yucatan and to see Tikal. That is where the route took us. Like Sjoerd says...don't plan out exactly where you are going to go. Pick a destination and then let the winds of fate take you somewhere cool. We had so many crazy serindipitus(sp?) situations. Like a motorcycle club making us honorary members and giving us motorcycle shirts at a Brazilian Steakhouse in Ciudad del Carmen or meeting some of Paul's former students from Portland, OR in Flores and they were staying in the hotel right next to ours. I'm very envious of you. That is the bese area to ride I"ve ever found. So much fun and warm, great people.
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:57 AM   #22872
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

I was just thinking about this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post

This is the concept. That's not a pissed-off look. That's just a best attempt and hiding terror...
Whoa..I was just thinking about this and about telling her that I patterned my trip after yours...and I did tell Trice that you gave me the quote...It's a great one! I was asknig everyone I thought might remember it. He was investigating it to see if he could find it when you messaged me back. Very cool!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:41 AM   #22873
goodwithafork
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post

Hah, that looks intense. Is it a full on official border crossing with customs and all that jazz on the other side?
goodwithafork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #22874
Lilbloody
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
Sorry to hear someone left you hanging. My worst pet peave. Check out the ride my buddy Paul and I did a few years ago. It's in my signature. We started about where you did. Leon, Guanajuato. Then headed through Orizaba, Ciudad del Carmen, Merida, (Chichen Itza)(Cenote swimming) Playa del Carmen, Orange Walk (Belize) San Ignacio (belize) ATM cave...one of the coolest things to see and do ever!, Tikal, Flores..then through Sayaxche to Lanquin to see the pools of water at Semuc Champey, then through Huehuetenango towards San Cristobal de las Casas then back to texas and home. We did all that in three weeks and it felt pretty relaxing. We did not have an agenda other than to get to the Yucatan and to see Tikal. That is where the route took us. Like Sjoerd says...don't plan out exactly where you are going to go. Pick a destination and then let the winds of fate take you somewhere cool. We had so many crazy serindipitus(sp?) situations. Like a motorcycle club making us honorary members and giving us motorcycle shirts at a Brazilian Steakhouse in Ciudad del Carmen or meeting some of Paul's former students from Portland, OR in Flores and they were staying in the hotel right next to ours. I'm very envious of you. That is the bese area to ride I"ve ever found. So much fun and warm, great people.
Thanks, man.. much appreciated. I'm enjoying very much looking at your ride report, and the information it provides is golden. I can't be quite as serendipitous as I'd like, given I'm on my own and my Spanish is limited; but with your info and advice from some others I know, I think I can put together a pretty satisfying ride despite the limitations. I've also got Sjoerd's guide books.. ah, what a treasure trove

Cheers,
Heather
Lilbloody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #22875
bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Lazaro Cardenas...killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Would be nice, but we 200 miles north of there now and headed further north to visit Hector in Lazaro Cardenas. Should take about six weeks meandering around the Guadalajara to Queretaro area.
Im Jealous...Hector is absolutely great...Helped my son and I out greatly. One of his guys welded my son's pannier. Used a "No Fumar" sign to strengthen it to stop it from falling off. A permanant fix. I've heard reports things are a little crazy around there...I'd love to hear from the road your opinion, Donnie