Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #23281
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Why would you ever say "buenos año"?
It is "feliz año".
Do you usually wish some one "good year" in English?
If so, when?
Are you buying tires?
Fire your Spanish teacher.
Save your money and book a two week, live in, intensive Spanish and cultural immersion course at least a good 2 days ride south of the US border.
You will eat the food, live in real world conditions, and if you last two weeks you will likely be fine anywhere in Latin America.

Riding fast and far will get you nowhere culturally speaking.
There are huge regional differences in the cultures just in Mexico, alone. Guatemala and Honduras are equally different.
Not giving yourself enough time is the equivalent of spending a week in East Los Angeles.
With a shtty Spanish teacher.

Remember this:
You'll always be a gringo if you do it the wrong way.
But you'll be a guero if you do it the right way.
Coño. :)
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #23282
goodwithafork
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
From a Mexico travel rookie who has moto traveled south of the border only three times, my advice is to shorten the length of your trip. Marathon it to the border, but then plan 200 mile days while in Mexico. You will better be able to meet your goals; practice travel in Latin America and practice Spanish.
As someone currently sitting south of the border 84 days into my first Mexico trip, I agree with this sentiment. A 500 mile day down here would be exhausting and unpleasant. Not to mention dangerous with the fatigue by the end of the day.
goodwithafork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #23283
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Not giving yourself enough time is the equivalent of spending a week in East Los Angeles.
With a shtty Spanish teacher.
Post her pic and we'll be the judge
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #23284
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Her name is Maria Jose.
Maria del dia, Jose del noche.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #23285
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^

That's worth three FIFA World Cup soccer ball laughing faces
Old 06-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #23286
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
From the " US BORDER " of which countries,,, US / Canada or US/ Mexico : i There is a difference .

As you admit there is a conflict in your stated wishes.
But really if you want to spend time getting a feel for the culture and the language there is no way you can do either by sitting on the bike piling on the distance . Then what? ... Sit around in one spot in Guatemala because you seem to have a prime hankering for that place without yet having been there?

From Whiterock BC figure on 3 days ofUSA freeway to get to any point on the California or Arizona border to Mexico and as Schizz pointed out the El Paso TX out border would be the prime crossing to enter for the fastest transit of Mexico
But that is another 2 days riding east. Then. figure on 5 days of hard riding to reach Guatemala . So from home to Guatemala border will take around ten days
Less time is possible IFF you are crazy fanatic about it and do a lot of toll road.$$$$
But why the massive rush ? Take it slow and take it scenic and take lots of stops to interact with the locals to practice your Spanish and get to sense the cultural vibe .Mexico will teach you plenty if this is indeed your first trip there, more still is if this is your first bike ride into there.You ain't gonna be in Kansas or Saskatchewan for sure, so don't try to use those riding habits .

And a PS .. While I was putting this together the other posts were still rolling in with great advice before hit the submit key .

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 12:44 PM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #23287
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,568
There's a certain logic to blitzing down to a nice spot with a good language school for, say, 2-3 weeks of immersion then tooling around practicing spanish before heading home.

Guate is a loooong way to go for that. Look into San Miguel de Allende among other towns. The travel expense to Guate and back should offset much of any cost differential and allow for more time to study and explore.

Just my dos centavos.....

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #23288
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,223
I agree with most of the above. Pounding out miles isn't going to improve your Spanish except for the occasions when you tell the Pemex attendant; "lleno, por favor". Knock around the place a little and talk to the people. There's no one to talk with on the bike except the voices in your head.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #23289
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Forget SMA as a language school destination

Great town for high society, but too many gringos on every corner, in all the coffee shops, bars, restaurants and in the Jardin etc.

The classes themselves will be fine, but you want to be out and about where the real learning takes place, and it's too easy/too tempting to speak English there.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #23290
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

What they said mas uno.

The voices in my head bother Pancho enough that he will sometimes miss a shift.

That is the best part about being crazy!
It is distracting for your riding buddy.
And no, not the imaginary one.

In all fairness, SMA did ok for RMO.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:44 PM   #23291
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
I agree with most of the above. Pounding out miles isn't going to improve your Spanish except for the occasions when you tell the Pemex attendant; "lleno, por favor". Knock around the place a little and talk to the people. There's no one to talk with on the bike except the voices in your head.

Old 06-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #23292
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

The 2014 off road Durango to Mazatlán ride is this coming weekend

Our man SR is back, as part of the staff this year

¡Viva Sierra Madre!

Toughest ride of them all - and the most rewarding
Old 06-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #23293
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
We are getting geared up! It sounds like there will be more than 250 participants this year! We are keeping an close eye on the weather. A little precipitation is perfect for suppressing dust, but a too much water will make the river crossings in Sinaloa muy cabron!

The route changes every year and we have done several different variations. This year should be really good!

SR screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 04:01 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #23294
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
We are getting geared up! It sounds like there will be more than 250 participants this year! We are keeping an close eye on the weather. A little precipitation is perfect for suppressing dust, but a too much water will make the river crossings in Sinaloa muy cabron!

The route changes every year and we have done several different variations. This year should be really good!
My Main Man SR last year crossing at canyon bottom

One miss-step here means your day in the Sierra was about to get a lot longer

I still can't believe it has been one year almost to the week that we were there - out in the middle of the Sierra, surrounded by miles and miles of nothing but forest

You can ride 100,000 miles of Mexico pavement and never have an experience like that

If you have the chance to ride the Durango - Maz event - do it

Old 06-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #23295
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

These are the photos that go into old photo albums that you open years later and say to yourself - those were the days

SR in this pic is fresh - I am absolutely gassed. Could hardly stand up. Once on the bike, it was easier to keep going. I could have rolled over and gone to sleep in the Sierra.

I think SR mentioned that there is a small platoon of gringos riding this year - not sure...