ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #2866
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,545
Is Cipro Safe? THREAD NOW!
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #2867
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
I stand by my advice. It's exactly what I've been given by three different travel doctors. The "drug resistant bacteria" myth is the fault of huge factory farms shoving huge daily doses of antibiotics down the throats of cattle, hogs, and chickens. There ecoli develop resistance that gets transmitted to humans.

What your stomach gets in Mexico is an amoeba, not usually a bacteria. One quick dose of cypro kills it.

I've crossed about 50 borders with many prescriptions, and the US border at least 15 times, with zero trouble. Of course I'm carrying reasonable quantities, like no more than a few dozen tablets of anything.

My travel doc also told me that the doxycyclene anti-malarial also killed most food-born bugs, with a bonus anti-clamydia ability. Your bride to be should talk to her reproductive health advisor about antibiotics and birth control. Antibiotics can make The Pill ineffective. So make sure you have a back-up goalie.
Good info + good laugh.

Thanks Bananaman.
__________________
'09 WR250R, '14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin"

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #2868
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 6,170
I meant to say protazoa, not ameoba, but better than I, the Centers for Disease Control has this to say:

(taken from here: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbo...-diarrhea.aspx)

Treatment

Antibiotics are the principal element in the treatment of TD. Adjunctive agents used for symptomatic control may also be recommended.
Antibiotics

As bacterial causes of TD far outnumber other microbial etiologies, empiric treatment with an antibiotic directed at enteric bacterial pathogens remains the best therapy for TD. The benefit of treatment of TD with antibiotics has been proven in numerous studies. The effectiveness of a particular antimicrobial depends on the etiologic agent and its antibiotic sensitivity. Both as empiric therapy or for treatment of a specific bacterial pathogen, first-line antibiotics include those of the fluoroquinolone class, such as ciprofloxacin or levofloxacin. Increasing microbial resistance to the fluoroquinolones, especially among Campylobacter isolates, may limit their usefulness in some destinations such as Thailand, where Campylobacter is prevalent. Isolated anecdotal case reports of resistant Campylobacter diarrhea occur periodically from other destinations. An alternative to the fluoroquinolones in this situation is azithromycin. Rifaximin has been approved for the treatment of TD caused by noninvasive strains of E. coli. However, since it is often difficult for travelers to distinguish between invasive and noninvasive diarrhea and since they would have to carry a back-up drug in the event of invasive diarrhea, the overall usefulness of rifaximin as empiric self-treatment remains to be determined.
Single-dose or 1-day therapy for TD with a fluoroquinolone is well established, both by clinical trials and clinical experience. The best regimen for azithromycin treatment is not yet established. One study used a single dose of 1,000 mg, but side effects (mainly nausea) may limit the acceptability of this large dose. Azithromycin, 500 mg per day for 1–2 days, appears to be effective in most cases of TD.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:23 AM   #2869
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 3,785
Not a doctor, just had some limited experience with the pharmaceutical industry from the inside out. The rest of it comes from having medical friends who are my go to people for advice when needed. I don't ever pretend to be able to contradict a practicing licensed physician or specialist, that is not for me. I also don't like to contradict people and don't want to be taken that way, I just want to add my 2cents from what I understand to be the evolving and changing attitudes of medicine towards overuse of certain medications.

Having said that...be careful with immodium AKA "the liquid cork" because some physicians believe that simply stopping yourself up keeps the infection cooking on the inside and doesn't do you a lot of good.

The fun part is that those same physicians who take a position against the magic bullet "liquid corks" have never had to cover a few hundred kilometers through tropical heat while battling a case of the liquid stools (apologies to those whose imaginations run wild on what that is like) while riding a motorcycle.

You know it is an adventure ride when the Pemex attendants start gagging before you stop at the pump and the little old lady that usually charges you a few pesos to use the john vigorously waves you past with one hand while gesticulating wildly with the other hand as to the location of the gents WC! I think we can all agree on this point, and that means my "consultorio" is closed and it is time to get a beer.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #2870
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 3,785
As usual, medical science leaves us lay people baffled!

Ciprofloxacin is commonly used for urinary tract and intestinal infections (traveler's diarrhea) and was once considered a powerful antibiotic of last resort,[130][131][132] used to treat especially tenacious infections. Not all physicians agreed with this assessment, as evidenced by its wide spread use to treat minor infections as well as non-approved uses. As a result in recent years many bacteria have developed resistance to this drug, leaving it significantly less effective than it would have been otherwise.[133][134]"






MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:03 AM   #2871
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 7,788
Time for a Mexican weather girl
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #2872
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer
 
MikeMike's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: South east Mexico
Oddometer: 3,785
No way! This thread is getting hotter than any of the "which oil should I use" threads. LOL! ;)
Maybe "Big pharma" is the new "Big oil". I am waiting for BMW to recommend a medication for me in their owner's manual. It will be sold by them and cost ten times as much as an equivalent. Wait a minute, folks! Maybe BMW are responsible for teaching the pharmaceutical makers?
It is not that far from Spandau to Sandoz, you know.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #2873
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
No way! This thread is getting hotter than any of the "which oil should I use" threads. LOL! ;)
Maybe "Big pharma" is the new "Big oil". I am waiting for BMW to recommend a medication for me in their owner's manual. It will be sold by them and cost ten times as much as an equivalent. Wait a minute, folks! Maybe BMW are responsible for teaching the pharmaceutical makers?
It is not that far from Spandau to Sandoz, you know.

They really ought to have their own brand of vaseline for when you go to the parts counter.

Oh, and it won't be free, either.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #2874
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Time for a Mexican weather girl
To forecast a developing fecal blizzard?
__________________
'09 WR250R, '14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin"

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #2875
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
They really ought to have their own brand of vaseline for when you go to the parts counter.

Oh, and it won't be free, either.
Black latex tire gloves and bearing grease works for me.

Can pack lighter that way. (No pun intended)
__________________
'09 WR250R, '14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin"

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #2876
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,545
Hey guys! A camping protection thread is now a gun thread....

Wanna go watch the train wreck?
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #2877
Eddy Alvarez
Addicited to ALL bikes!
 
Eddy Alvarez's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Chester,VA. Growing on me or getting used to it?
Oddometer: 1,971
Haven't you watched the news at least ONCE in the past year?! It seems like every day the news starts with "15 heads, 5 dead policemen and 20 pounds of cocaine found today on Mexican downtown street, 12 arrested, one of them is only 12 years old!"




P.S. I hope you know I'M KIDDING (mostly)! I know all of Mexico/C. American is not like this.
__________________
Me: BMW F800GS, KTM 525EXC.....Gabriel: KTM 50...Elena: Honda CRF70
Eddy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #2878
wayno
Beastly Adventurer
 
wayno's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: East of KCMO
Oddometer: 5,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Not a doctor, just had some limited experience with the pharmaceutical industry from the inside out. The rest of it comes from having medical friends who are my go to people for advice when needed. I don't ever pretend to be able to contradict a practicing licensed physician or specialist, that is not for me. I also don't like to contradict people and don't want to be taken that way, I just want to add my 2cents from what I understand to be the evolving and changing attitudes of medicine towards overuse of certain medications.

Having said that...be careful with immodium AKA "the liquid cork" because some physicians believe that simply stopping yourself up keeps the infection cooking on the inside and doesn't do you a lot of good.

The fun part is that those same physicians who take a position against the magic bullet "liquid corks" have never had to cover a few hundred kilometers through tropical heat while battling a case of the liquid stools (apologies to those whose imaginations run wild on what that is like) while riding a motorcycle.

You know it is an adventure ride when the Pemex attendants start gagging before you stop at the pump and the little old lady that usually charges you a few pesos to use the john vigorously waves you past with one hand while gesticulating wildly with the other hand as to the location of the gents WC! I think we can all agree on this point, and that means my "consultorio" is closed and it is time to get a beer.
Still laughing and ready for a beerLove hearing about others experiences
__________________
DL 650
DR650
RIDE SAFE
I like to Bitch and Moan!
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 PM   #2879
bananaman
transcontimental
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Madison, Wisconsin and/or Panama, Panama
Oddometer: 6,170
All I said was that I was sending my daughter to Mexico with a bottle of tequila, and a case of Corona. I might have mentioned that I also tell her to travel with a few tablets of cipro. And the next think, I'm playing CDC doctor. Does it matter if I used to be married to a doctor? Not only that, but I paid for her med school. Therefore, I am a DBA (Doctor By Association).

Do you know what they call the person who graduates last from med school?











"Doctor."
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #2880
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
All I said was that I was sending my daughter to Mexico with a bottle of tequila, and a case of Corona. I might have mentioned that I also tell her to travel with a few tablets of cipro. And the next think, I'm playing CDC doctor. Does it matter if I used to be married to a doctor? Not only that, but I paid for her med school. Therefore, I am a DBA (Doctor By Association).

Do you know what they call the person who graduates last from med school?


"Doctor."
Must be why they have to "practice" so much.
__________________
'09 WR250R, '14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin"

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014