mark883 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 AM   #3047
frank wheelbarrow
ten four

Oddometer: 712
And this just in from our sponsors

....And were having technical difficulties with "the photo"

Assistance please...
know that they are only 5 outcomes at the end of the two weeks: Finish, Mechanical, Abandon, Injuries, Death.
frank wheelbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #3048
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
My point is this.
Telling someone that a black belt in a martial art will somehow add to your safety in Mexico is incorrect. There are hundreds of people traveling who use simple common sense and avoidance and have no rank in any martial art. Some people don't need a black belt to make themselves feel safe.

He wants to insult me about my knowledge of Mexico, he can go ahead. He doesn't know me and he doesn't have a clue about what I know regarding Mexican politics.

So maybe having a black belt is somehow going to save your sorry ass in a scrap with some punk, but it isn't going to help you when his buddies show up and things turn out differently than a Chuck Norris movie.

So yeah, "Viking", you can insult me all you want. I am calling bullshit on your black belt safety net and I stand by it. If that makes you uncomfortable and start frothing at the mouth with some kind of bizarre sexual references, those are your issues, not mine.

I stand by what I have witnessed first hand in Mexico and what have been my personal experiences. I don't write books, nor sell them.
End of story as far as I'm concerned.
Normally I am respectful of others but if one acts like a bitch, she'll get treated like a bitch. So as our whimpering queen continues to embarrass herself and displays a need for further spanking...

Nowhere in any of my extensive writings here on advrider or in my books have I ever advocated violence--really, just the opposite. So if in your shallow little mind you have seen this, you need to study more. As I have written, literally hundreds of times, the best weapon when traveling, is a big smile. I understand it is difficult for some, to comprehend how martial arts training can raise awareness that does in fact keep one out of trouble, but because in your superficial Chuck-Norris-World, you see otherwise, just makes you look even more foolish.

And your claims of twenty years of living in Mexico with all of your political insight is very, very questionable. I won't exactly call you a liar, but...your comments on advrider regarding anything beyond Yahoo weather reports and food recommendations, are simply chatter without serious thought. For living in Mexico as this "gnarly adventurer," I could not find any of your Ride Reports or even an essay (in your own words) on the situation in Mexico, political or otherwise. Since you say that "I don't know shit" about you, maybe readers of this thread might like some documentation of your vast political expertise regarding Mexico. (Rephrasing advice others have already posted doesn't count.) I put it all out there with pics and postings, can you verify any of your claims in a similar manner?

People may or may not like what I write, but when I do write about various regions on this planet, I rode there to gather information by interviewing locals and witnessing firsthand. Because the responses from those interviewees regarding my government were sometimes disturbing, I did not post them and merely kept those notes to myself. From probing Russians about Stalin, to speaking direct with Palestinian officials in Gaza on election day while the next day being educated by Orthodox Jews at the Wailing Wall, to deep conversations in Cuban coffee houses and jungle villages from Borneo to Africa, I have accumulated enough negatives against US foreign policy to either enlighten or anger just about everyone.

But we can't possible please everyone and one needs thick skin to write professionally because there will always be critics, of which I certainly have my share. For the obviously malicious ones though, jealousy seemed to be the motivation because in researching their backgrounds, I discovered they all had one thing in common--comically overinflated adventurer resumes with failed attempts at what others achieved through perseverance. Successful people don't get ahead by bad-mouthing competitors, they out achieve them by deed.

And as for the book-selling--for several years, while riding a motorcycle around the world through fifty-seven developing countries, every night, like clockwork, either while staying in a two-dollar-a-night hotel or a one-man tent, I spent exactly four hours recording the days events in both photographs and thoughtful essays. This was my way to share the journey with thousands of readers around the planet in real time so we might understand each other better. Then once returning, for two years I left those journals up on my thread Striking Viking Bumnin' the World, before taking them down in order to spend another year compiling them into a book. (Mods have since reconstructed an encapsulation here) Similar to my first book where all of the royalties were donated to the International Red Cross, proceeds from my second book are donated to Survivors of Torture and Room to Read, an NGO building schools in the developing world. So I will plead guilty to being "the book seller," if you'll include the above information.

(Just typical quarterly stuff starting from 2006 and still continuing)

Maybe you were just having a bad day when you spouted off here, or maybe you are just another Internet idiot who likes impress people. Either way, rather than continue to dig your heels into quick sand, wouldn't a wise man would pull his foot out of his mouth at this point and apologize?
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #3049
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,037
Apologize for what? To you? You are dreaming.
Thanks for the proof of your philanthropy. Good for you.
Yahoo weather reports? I usually use the CFE. You know them, don't you?
The ones you pay your electrical bill to bi-monthly.
Their website has a very good and free weather report with morning, afternoon, and 3 day forecasts for the entire Republic of Mexico. Other than that, I look out the window.
Food recommendations? From places where I have eaten and for what I have eaten. And you've never been to them or you wouldn't be calling me out on that.

You want me to write an essay on politics in Mexico? Sure, what do you want to know about?

How about you tell me who shot Posadas Ocampo, who planned the killing of Colosio, or maybe you can tell everyone where Munoz Rocha is? Cat got your tongue? While you're at it, impress me with your knowledge of where Jimmy Hoffa, and Amelia Earhart are. Mallory has already been found on the slopes of Everest so I don't need your input on that one. But maybe you can help find Echeverria's heart! It's been missing for about 8 decades.
Or what really happened to Maquio?

Gossip about narcos on the Pacific coast is useless, because first, you aren't inside their organization, and second, it changes day by day.
That is the same all over Mexico.

You want to doubt how many years I've been here? Maybe you want to see my CV and my FM documents and my resident status? You've never even been on some of the roads I ride on a weekly basis. You like to call people names and then start melting down and then you think I should apologize to you? LOL! You're a fan of pissing contests, I am not.

I've got no books to sell and nothing to prove to anyone, that isn't the way I operate. You've got some self-styled former image you feel obligated to uphold and that baggage weighs you down.
Apologize?
Sorry, if you are looking for an apology you are not going to get one.

This is a simple case of someone had the audacity to disagree with something you said and it hurt your ego. Get over it.

And if as you say, book sales are spiking, then great! Think of it as me doing my part for your charitable contributions. Every cloud has a silver lining, Grasshopper.

You want a ride report? Come and ride with me and then you file a ride report.

MikeMike screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 11:20 AM
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:39 PM   #3050
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,267
Question

Is Mexico safe?
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #3051
Macushla
Foxy Moron

Oddometer: 4,949
Quote:
hahaha!
Macushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #3052
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:

See? MikeMike is actually a really nice guy, he doesn’t want to apologize and apologizes for feeling that he does not owe any type of apology. That is noble, you are a scholar and a gentlemen.

On the other hand we will probably get a reply from the Viking guy in the form of an 8yr old juvenile playground bully…..

Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking View Post
Oh no! Mike Mike, doo doo, pooh pooh pants. Another keyboard princess squirming in her G-string while running off at the mouth and tugging her meat, . Ready for the big one Mike Mike....here goes....
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking View Post
BOO!
You done yet? (Wipe yourself off and go home now)

I would be embarrassed to write in that tone to anyone, none the less think that way. You are some strange kind of ambassador to whatever ambassadorship you think you hold.

The typical "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I THINK I AM?" kind of guy

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato

Animo screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 02:57 PM Reason: messed up quotes! again!
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #3053
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Oddometer: 244
Old 03-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #3054
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post

See? MikeMike is actually a really nice guy, he doesn’t want to apologize and apologizes for feeling that he does not owe any type of apology. That is noble, you are a scholar and a gentlemen.

On the other hand we will probably get a reply from the Viking guy in the form of an 8yr old juvenile playground bully…..

[COLOR=silver]

I would be embarrassed to write in that tone to anyone, none the less think that way. You are some strange kind of ambassador to whatever ambassadorship you think you hold.

The typical "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I THINK I AM?" kind of guy
+1 I always find it disturbing when people feel the need resort to childish putdowns and intimidation in a discussion. Absolutely playground bully behaviour.

I wonder why SV felt the need to publish copies of letters and checks to prove his philanthropy. I don't recall anyone disputing his philanthropic endeavors or his honesty.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #3055
truckguy
awesomeness!

Oddometer: 206
Anybody familiar with Hermosillo, SON, Mexico? I've been there in the past but that was ages ago.lol just wondering to the safety of the city these days?

Motorcycling is the pursuit of life through motion, sometimes at speed, during which the sum total of one’s existence is defined in the conflict between centrifugal force and gravity.
truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:38 PM   #3056
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckguy View Post
Anybody familiar with Hermosillo, SON, Mexico? I've been there in the past but that was ages ago.lol just wondering to the safety of the city these days?
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being Juárez, Hermosillo (Sonora) is a 1 or a 2. There was an example of a cartel equalizer in the last part of last year in Hermosillo, but as per usual, you have a greater chance of winning the lottery than seeing any of this.

Going to San Carlos?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #3057
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being Juárez, Hermosillo (Sonora) is a 1 or a 2. There was an example of a cartel equalizer in the last part of last year in Hermosillo, but as per usual, you have a greater chance of winning the lottery than seeing any of this.

Going to San Carlos?

There are a bunch of Parrotheads (Jimmy Buffett-inspired sailboaters and musicians) in San Carlos. If you get there check out Mark Mulligan if he's in town.

Anyway, reading the gringo mailing lists coming in and out of there they have been pretty well bypassed by all the troubles.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #3058
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,768
I thought everyone knew that Jummy Hoffa and Amelia Earhart were last seen with Elvis and Janis Joplin. Oh, and regarding alligators and rattlesnakes, the way I heard the phrase was: "Don't let your bluejay mouth overload your hummingbird ass". This was directed at me by my First Sergeant way back when.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #3059
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,282
Took this shot overlooking the harbor at San Carlos. It's one reason I'd stop in Hermosillo, but stay here

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #3060
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Took this shot overlooking the harbor at San Carlos. It's one reason I'd stop in Hermosillo, but stay here

Sweeeeeet! Great recommendation

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato

Animo screwed with this post 03-23-2011 at 07:32 PM Reason: I kiant spwell!
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote