Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #3226
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerStank View Post
Ah now come on, I haven't ranted about anything, me thinks your just looking for a flame war for some reason? I'm not interested in an argument, just conversation on things.

And I haven't said its all caused by purely Mexican interests. No one, not even me could be that stupid regarding what's going on down there. Although, on the major news(propaganda) networks in America, there are some extremely ignorant politicians and anti-Immigrant groups getting way too much air time. Sensationalism makes for big profits in the news world though, it's another inevitable thing to deal with.

I was reading some of the really clueless stuff in the comments section of the McAllen newspaper this morning. Maybe I am being a bit sensitive.

Just FWIW, we are publishing a magazine here in the Valley and it's no secret that circulation of some resources, particularly our local newspapers and other media, jumps dramatically when something bad happens across the border. So there is genuinely an incentive for the media to report negative, sensational, anti-Mexican stories.

I guess that I would have been skeptical about a statement like that if I hadn't been seeing the process in person several times, but it's true. There is practically an industry in some circles that promotes bad news about Mexico, from the tourism industry that wants to steal business away from the Mexican resorts to the truckers that want to keep Mexican drivers out of the USA to the newspapers that sell more copies when something bad happens in Reynosa.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #3227
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Border?

Don't think you can separate Mexico from U.S. ( so called America) too close for that.
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:00 PM   #3228
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Ok so he arrived around noon, and this is what he experienced. Nothing happened to him, but he did see some stuff. Passing through Cadereyta by the toll booth they had a couple cars pulled over, people on the ground and lots of cops, maybe just a tad under 100 fed and state. A bit down the road he saw a couple of trucks passing through headed towards the bust painted in state police colors, except they were the wrong colors for Nuevo Leon state police, but had Nuevo Leon state police written on the side. After that coming this way he didnt see anything. He was waved through all military checkpoints except the one crossing the bridge. They did a complete tear down of luggage to see what he was carrying.

We had a good lunch discussion about whats going on. His view is that a government is designed and exists to provide protection and security to its citizens. Mexico basically has no government according to this and is in bad shape. His views are opposite of PJ in how long this will last. He really doesnt see an end. Apart from his job he does church work in a town recently featured in borderland beat. Its not pretty there. An estimated 80-90% of the youth are working for the cartel. The town is infested and they are paying off the people to live with their presence. Its not a place you want to be outside after dark. He has had people follow him but hes sure that they know why hes there and because of that they dont bother him.

Recently my parents divorced and my dad was left with very little of their savings. He was considering living in Mexico for fear that he wouldnt be able to afford to return to the states. Recently he has given up hopes of living there and is planning somehow to return to the states when he retires. He is sick of living in the unrest and rumors of these guys running around causing havoc. Im glad that im not returning to work there this summer due to the unrest.

Last week my wife and I visited her sister in Houston. Her ex-husband was planning on taking the kids to Mexico for a summer vacation. We informed her of the cartel battles going on and insisted she not allow that. I love Mexico, and its one of my favorite places to go but right now its just not the time. I understand statistics are in our favor as tourists but you just have to be that one that doesnt make it back and at that point statistics dont matter any more because you are one. For me there are too many random attacks and innocent people getting killed to risk traveling. I spent 2 years in Honduras, 1 of those in the capital. I had a friend get shot with a 12 ga shotgun in cetro. Luckily he survived. I felt safer there than i would in most of Mexico right now. Its sad to watch borderland beat because they are talking about most of the areas i know and love.

In short Mexico could be considered a war zone. My dads journey was approx. 450 miles. In those 450 miles he passed through 4 military checkpoints. For every 112 miles you are stopped by armed forces. Its not good. Im with PJ though in that i wouldnt hesitate in heading on over to progresso for lunch or some quick shopping, but i wouldnt go more than a couple blocks off the main strip.

EDIT: I will also mention that the reason he brought the bike is because its the only safe option he has now. Bus is too dangerous from what many reports are saying in the San Fernando region, and his newer model pickup is too much of a target. Its sad that you have to choose so carefully how you travel due to risks such as those present in Mexico.

My cousin from Zacatecas came to visit for the holy week, driving his SUV vehicle, Zac-Saltillo-Mty-Reynosa.
He just made it back today SAFE.

In other order of news, I just had a close call today at 5:00 am, driving my car on the Reynosa streets. Pacing at 30 mph going to work, streets almost empty, suddenly I hear a police siren somewhere, but not sure if behind or ahead, I'm crossing an intersection, with a green light for me, when I see a sedan car flying from the left running his red light directly towars me, by natural reaction I dive my foot on the gas, and the bastard just barely passes behind me few feets away, I see in the mirror the police car in pursuit chasing this possible drunk driver. After few yards my body starts sweating, I felt just reborn.

from all shootouts I have seen and heard in the border, this has been the most dangerous situation I have been involved on.

thanks good I'm able to write this.

arte

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #3229
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
... the bastard just barely passes behind me few feets away, I see in the mirror the police car in pursuit chasing this possible drunk driver. After few yards my body starts sweating, I felt just reborn.

from all shootouts I have seen and heard in the border, this has been the most dangerous situation I have been involved on.

arte
Glad you are ok my friend.

BTW, you seem to be missing a ride report on your list.
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #3230
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Glad you are ok my friend.

BTW, you seem to be missing a ride report on your list.
Yes, somehow my editing window is screwed and only shows me the codes, I do not know how to see it in the way that shows me right (able to see the pics and right on the editing screen)

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 04-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #3231
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

arte

Very glad to hear that you are still among us Arte!

Interesting that you would talk about hearing gunfire. We were at an RV park at 26°11'2.76"N 98°19'45.54"W for maybe 6-9 months and folks would talk about hearing gunfire in the mornings across the border (as you can see we were only about a mile from the border, and not far at all as the crow flies from where Andres lives).

Long story short, there was a rifle and shotgun range near us and I often though that many of those folks confused 12 gauge skeet shooting with military firepower.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:31 PM   #3232
PirateJohn
Banned

Breaking news! Seriously!

Someone found an improvised explosive under a bridge on Rt. 77 near Brownsville. Traffic has been re-routed.

Better warn everyone to stay out of Texas until it's safe to travel here. To be REALLY safe I'd stay out of San Antonio and Houston.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:34 PM   #3233
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Breaking news! Seriously!

Someone found an improvised explosive under a bridge on Rt. 77 near Brownsville. Traffic has been re-routed.

Better warn everyone to stay out of Texas until it's safe to travel here. To be REALLY safe I'd stay out of San Antonio and Houston.
Does someone wants to start a thread named: Is USA SAFE?

Chiapas Ride 2013
Old 04-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #3234
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
but we were really talking of starting a revolution south of the border in secret code
If it involves bikes and tequila ... and if we can recruit at least one of Selma's cousins ... then count me in.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #3235
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Does someone wants to start a thread named: Is USA SAFE?
That would be funny. The more we would talk, the more similar the situations are whether folks want to admit it or not.

Local news is reporting how some cops started to dig up someone's back yard and seizing lawn equipment (they are showing a really nice John Deere lawn tractor) without a warrant.

That stuff only happens in Mexico and not in the States, right?

Those damned corrupt cops ...
Old 04-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #3236
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
My cousin from Zacatecas came to visit for the holy week, driving his SUV vehicle, Zac-Saltillo-Mty-Reynosa.
He just made it back today SAFE.

arte
yeah but trucks like my dads late model, black, 4 door, 4X4 are in pretty high demand as we have seen. He would rather just ride the KLR.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #3237
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,298
Quote:

Drunk drivers and texting teens are the real threats to motorcyclists.

Oh, and that grava suelta just east of Mascota that put me on my ass
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #3238
Frank Sosa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
This said a lot to me. When the school shooting happened in Brazil last week (or was it the week before) the pull quote in one of the articles quoted a witness saying something to the effect, "I can't believe this has happened. It's just like the United States."
Frank Sosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #3239
basstodave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
I live in Tucson and ride a farkled Wee Strom. She is good to go anywhere. Sadly I have no desire to visit Mexico. Go figure. 60 miles away and it might as well be half way around the world.
basstodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 AM   #3240
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstodave View Post
I live in Tucson and ride a farkled Wee Strom. She is good to go anywhere. Sadly I have no desire to visit Mexico. Go figure. 60 miles away and it might as well be half way around the world.
And yet there is a community of gringo sailors living in Paradise slightly south of you. They never seem to have any trouble whatsoever in San Carlos.

Guess that a man just has to know his limits.