SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Where is pancakes house?
I gotta go to a place where I can get a

and a

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #3257
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
U.S. broadens Mexico travel warning

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/04/26...ing/index.html

This is a fairly balanced article. Just the facts.

The State Department notes that millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico every year. But it also says Mexico's ongoing violence and security concerns pose "serious risks" for U.S. citizens, and urges travelers to take precautions.

"To reduce risk, you are strongly urged to travel only during daylight hours throughout Mexico, to avoid isolated roads and to use toll roads whenever possible," the advisory says.

But reports of violence can be overblown, the leader of an expatriate group in Mexico said, describing his trip last month to a butterfly sanctuary in Michoacan, a stronghold of Mexico's La Familia cartel.

"I felt totally safe there. We had no problem at all. You have to be mindful of what's going on, but there aren't people attacking anybody, especially expats," Howard Feldstein said.

The number of U.S. citizens killed in Mexico increased from 35 in 2007 to 111 in 2010, the State Department said. More than a third of the 2010 reported slayings of U.S. citizens occurred in the border cities of Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana, according to the State Department.

"There is no evidence that U.S. tourists have been targeted by criminal elements due to their citizenship. Nonetheless, while in Mexico you should be aware of your surroundings at all times and exercise particular caution in unfamiliar areas," the alert says.

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #3258
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Every two or three months someone on this thread tries to compare Mexican crime rates to those in the US and they are not even in the same ballpark. Mexico is a hell of a lot more dangerous than the US, no joke. The northern half of Mexico is a tough place to live and work these days.

I think there is some truth here, but the keys are "live and work." For most tourists Mexico is pretty safe because we don't work there, we aren't there long enough to piss off anyone and create some sort of silly vendetta, we aren't entrepreneurs there, and so forth.

For folks living and working in parts of Mexico it's a time to keep your head down but by and large things go on, although I hear that after hours entertainment is really suffering in some places.

If you are a poor migrant then it's doubly tough. Ditto if you are a young kid in a tough neighborhood, because then you are either going to get recruited into a cartel, or shot by one.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #3259
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
More than a third of the 2010 reported slayings of U.S. citizens occurred in the border cities of Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana, according to the State Department.

Tijuana is a big, industrial town and with the housing market in Southern California being what it is there are plenty of folks who have decided to live in TJ and work in California.

With that said I doubt if there are more than a handful of tourists going to Tijuana that get into trouble. I used to feel very, very safe in the touristy areas and the Zona Norte, but it does help not to go too far out of those areas on foot.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #3260
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
They just found 96 bodies and counting on the other side of a wall from where my nephew goes to school. They haven't said yet but the victims are probably a mix of Narcos and kidnap victims. Believe me, it gets pretty spooky when they start committing genocide in your town.

There is some gas, lets keep this thread rolling!

SR

I will officially call that scary, at least to me. More so if you're living there.

But I still wouldn't mind visiting the Durango part of Mexico sometime.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #3261
trailracer13
Just wanna have fun

Oddometer: 1
Several of us went to Mexico in February and had no problems or issues, although there were a couple of rumors of guys in black-out suv's stopping people and stealing their money. Didn't say what would happen if you didn't comply
trailracer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #3262
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
But I still wouldn't mind visiting the Durango part of Mexico sometime.
The Mexico National BMW Rally is in Durango this October.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 03:47 PM   #3263
GlassAnkles
Chip to Queso Ratio

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Don't let a little genocide deter you from coming to Durango.
a little genocide
GlassAnkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #3264
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Don't let a little genocide deter you from coming to Durango. I really do think it is reasonably safe to visit here and a nice place to boot, especially for riding. I know that sounds a bit complicated but I guess it is.

A local riding group is planning the second annual off road ride from DGO to Mazatlan. I still don't have all of the details but I know it is planned for the 23-25 of June. Under the umbrella of promoting tourism, they have support from the army. I didn't do it last year but they said they had about 100 soldiers with several vehicles and air support with a helicopter. It should be a unique opportunity to cross the Western Sierra of Durango all off road and with security.

I will post more when I have more info, probably in the Mazatlan-Durango highway area.

Saludos

SR

http://vimeo.com/16194680

Ooh..

Just take into account this when you ride among Mex BMwers that belongs to a BMW club

"For the opening and closing dinner events, the standard evening dress shall be no less that ARMANI, DOLCE & GABANA, VERSACE... not allowed ugly clothing from Ralph Lauren or Hugo Boss..."

Note from the organizers:
Please refrain yourself if do not meet the above requirements and avoid us the necesity to ask you to leave.

Oh and please, NO KLR's ....

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #3265
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
http://vimeo.com/16194680

Ooh..

Just take into account this when you ride among Mex BMwers that belongs to a BMW club

"For the opening and closing dinner events, the standard evening dress shall be no less that ARMANI, DOLCE & GABANA, VERSACE... not allowed ugly clothing from Ralph Lauren or Hugo Boss..."

Note from the organizers:
Please refrain yourself if do not meet the above requirements and avoid us the necesity to ask you to leave.

Oh and please, NO KLR's ....

The ride I am talking about is not a BMW event. As I recall, it is organized primarily by a group of four wheeler riders out of Torreon called quadheads.

No BMW gloves or BMW wrist bands required for entry. This will be a challenging off road ride, not a 50km ride down to Sanborns for an hour and a half long photo shoot. Beemer style!

I do like the promo video for the BMW event. It is good to see the department of tourism guys working hard for the state of Durango.

To be fair, I know a couple of the guys in this video and they are nice guys individually, but I once tried to tag along for a bit with a group of Mexican BMW guys on the KLR and I was definitely persona non grata, so I left them in the dust.

SR screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 06:43 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #3266
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
The ride I am talking about is not a BMW event. As I recall, it is organized primarily by a group of four wheeler riders out of Torreon called quadheads.

No BMW gloves or BMW wrist bands required for entry. This will be a challenging off road ride, not a 50km ride down to Sanborns for an hour and a half long photo shoot. Beemer style!

I do like the promo video for the BMW event. It is good to see the department of tourism guys working hard for the state of Durango.

To be fair, I know a couple of the guys in this video and they are nice guys individually, but I once tried to tag along for a bit with a group of Mexican BMW guys on the KLR and I was definitely persona non grata, so I left them in the dust.
but they need us KLRians

here saving them after all of them got screwed when crossed the creek and their air intake sucked water

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:14 PM   #3267
novamandan
Danny B

Oddometer: 68
Mexico....Safe?

Mexico, outside of border towns, is just like the rest of C.A. Central America is a great place. You just have to do due diligence and look at where you are goin and what you need to look out for. Spanish speaking is essential. Your experience there is tied to how much you can fit into everything. Stay away from the border towns. That is where the violence is. think of it like this, what do people have to gain from messin with you. if you wear a shiny ass watch and march around the streets through alleys at 3:30 am you will get fucked up....How different is a US city? just exercise common sense and respect and you will do well......When in doubt ask the locals. They take pride in their country. They want you to enjoy it much like you want people to like your neighborhood. Just don't be an idiot and you'll be ok. Have a safe trip to Mexico and be cool. The people are awesome, very grateful, proud, friendly, sharp about how things work, and interested in people being kept safe. Just be cool and smart. Baja is the shit!
novamandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #3268
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
but they need us KLRians

here saving them after all of them got screwed when crossed the creek and their air intake sucked water

SO, did they get the beemers running or did they have to ship them to Guadalajara for new spark plugs?

I guess if you have a retro (backhoe) for a chase vehicle then you can take a beemer off road. Looks like, the backhoe is going ahead of the group and padding the side of the road with hay for soft landings, in case there is a fall?

SR screwed with this post 04-27-2011 at 09:08 PM
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #3269
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Tijuana is a big, industrial town and with the housing market in Southern California being what it is there are plenty of folks who have decided to live in TJ and work in California.

With that said I doubt if there are more than a handful of tourists going to Tijuana that get into trouble. I used to feel very, very safe in the touristy areas and the Zona Norte, but it does help not to go too far out of those areas on foot.
I'm 8 miles from TJ. Used to love it and take visiting friends down for the day. Some bad, bad stuff happened to family and friends and I don't go across anymore. I sure would like get over to Mike's Sky Rancho on a DS ride. We'll see.

I lived in Laredo (TX) and went across there and Rio Grande City an awful lot for a few years. I wouldn't go now.

I've unfortunately seen some things close up, but I wouldn't completely advise against others going south.

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #3270
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Someone bought this man a new shirt from SATELITE Harely dealership in MEXICO CITY Thank you JD

Shot at HEB Hondo TX
A shirt with flames and a fuel tanker for background. Nice composition, Amigo!

Nice bike, too.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote