Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #3331
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
They did!
They now charge $8 pesos and bought a new card table. Progress in the nation's sole fuel provider is measured in leaps and bounds and they are always thinking of YOU the customer!

I don't doubt it. $5 pesos seems like it was enormous back on 2006; as I recall the going rate elsewhere was more like $1 peso.

But this place was weird and I'd love to visit again. The hurricanes had come through only a few months earlier and there was nothing ... and I mean nothing ... inside those concrete walls other than the old guys guarding the toilet. No glass in the windows, no electricity inside (although they must have had it outside to run the pumps). Nothing.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:33 AM   #3332
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Tickets are going fast

Jimmy Buffett played in Houston a few nights ago.

You Spanish guys are asking "Who???? " but he does a catchy little tune called Tampico Trauma:

~~~

YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8OIlteqnQ

I must look a mess I must admit
But I have been travelling quite a bit
South of the Border
Where the law and order
Is kept by Federales who just grin
And tell you they just want to be your friend

I left for Tampico last July
I jumped off that boat I almost died
There to greet us
Were pretty senoritas
I swore that I would not go home then
All those lovely ladies were my friends
Whoa, those sweet chiquitas they don't pretend

-- Spoken: "Como esta, Capitain..."

That is all I really want to say
I was thrown out of the country yesterday
See I was, drinkin' double
Causin' lots of trouble
When the man looked in the window of the bar and he grinned
And said, "If you come back we just may not be your friend"
"I don't want to see you 'round here again"
"If you come back next time we may not pretend" (Hidy ho' boys!)

Old 05-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #3333
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I don't doubt it. $5 pesos seems like it was enormous back on 2006; as I recall the going rate elsewhere was more like $1 peso.

But this place was weird and I'd love to visit again. The hurricanes had come through only a few months earlier and there was nothing ... and I mean nothing ... inside those concrete walls other than the old guys guarding the toilet. No glass in the windows, no electricity inside (although they must have had it outside to run the pumps). Nothing.
Lo que pasa es con los $ ocho pesos les van a dar 4 ojas de Charmin two ply!
Que lujo!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #3334
PirateJohn
Banned

Pemex uses nothing but(t) the best ...

Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #3335
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Pemex uses nothing but(t) the best ...

Ahh, haemorrhoid surgery. Who says Pemex is not looking after their customers best interests!

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 03:54 PM   #3336
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
Motodiscovery News Link Here

Some of you may be familiar with Motodiscovery or might know the owner, Skip Mascorro. Skip and his folks have been riding with people to Mexico for years.

He runs Motodiscovery out of Spring Branch Texas, which is basically north San Antonio these days. In other words he's right here in town. Therefore, I talk to Skip from time to time, and I often see as well one of his former associates, Big Jim, who lives about a mile from me.

Jim (6'8") and I go riding around central Texas quite often. Nobody you know has been to Mexico on a motorcycle more often than Jim has. Nobody. That's because he's been to Mexico over 70 times on a bike.

It may be of some use for lurkers to know that Skip reports that neither he nor anyone on his Motodiscovery trips has encountered any cartel related problems in Mexico, ever. At the same time Big Jim also reports nada on any of his 70+ visits to Mexico, which for a while now have been mostly on his own going with various groups of friends who don't want to go there by themselves.

My own instincts tell me, unconfirmed, that while Skip may have adjusted his business plan to offer different routing options away from certain border areas out of caution, it was more as an adjustment to client sensitivity to the news. In other words, if people think the border is dangerous in spots, a smart business man will route around it to keep attracting customers.

The point is, here are two people whose interests have them running into Mexico all the time, and thus with a statistically significant exposure to the element of discussion at hand, and they've had nary a problem.

Add the above perspective to the other information gained in this thread and elsewhere as you form your own opinion of Mexico travel.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #3337
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Years ago I thought Skip's biz was called Pancho Villa Tours, and then a name change. What's up with that??

Did Pancho's hiers threatened to sue him or something??
Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #3338
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Years ago I thought Skip's biz was called Pancho Villa Tours, and then a name change. What's up with that??
He changed it in '03 I think it was to better reflect his worldwide offerings.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #3339
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,197
The gas sold in Mexico is mostly Mexican petroleum that is refined in the US as the Mexican refining capacity is pitifully low.
Pemex is responsible for checking the quality and service of their franchise operators.
Since they work for the government, you get that high level of "I don't give a damn" service like Bato says.
You know its going to be bad when you are standing a few meters from the can, paying your pesos, and already gagging.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #3340
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The gas sold in Mexico is mostly Mexican petroleum that is refined in the US as the Mexican refining capacity is pitifully low.
Pemex is responsible for checking the quality and service of their franchise operators.
Since they work for the government, you get that high level of "I don't give a damn" service like Bato says.
You know its going to be bad when you are standing a few meters from the can, paying your pesos, and already gagging.
Most Mexican travelers know they way to better bathrooms and they are free just common sense again who would like to poope in a gas station unless you wanted to be raped PEMEX bathrooms are for tourists
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:35 PM   #3341
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,540
And now the travel tip of the month

MICHOACAN

This is one of my favorite states of Mexico, I do not know all the state and that makes me angry!!!

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #3342
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,540
Route Color

Michoacan Routes by color from above post

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #3343
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

Did Pancho's hiers threatened to sue him or something??

I am trying not to be unkind, but having had a bad experience with Mascorro I think that he's a crook. I did one of his tours and it was expensive, piss poor, and the guides were VERY inexperienced, to be kind about it. This was in 1998 or so.

At one point I had a web site up that had commentary from several others that also had a bad experience with Mascorro. During that time I was encouraging folks to file complaints with the Better Business Bureau. On my trip the #1 guide was a kid that knew his Spanish less well than I do (which is pretty bad), and he couldn't read the road signs so he lead some folks at high speed into deep gravel, among other newbie errors. I had a drunken 80 year old Goldwinger want to get into it with me (and Skippy took his side without even asking me what was going on) so that was enough for me. Other people wrote to me and told me of financial shortcuts that were rampant (don't count on staying at many of the nicer places they advertise), accidents where Skippys people wouldn't take responsibility and told the riders to fend for themselves, and so forth.

Oh ... and Skippy hadn't actually ridden one of the tours for some time back then, despite the publicity to the contrary. He was using absentee tour guides. I happened to get one on his first trip, and I don't think that he lasted long.

A few years later Mascorro changed the name of the company.

Coincidence? Who knows.

But I had read somewhere that he said that Mexican assistance was dropping off so he was going for other markets. Or other people to fleece. Or something like that.

Personally, I think that with quick familiarization, or just reading this thread, folks don't need to sign up for a dog and pony show like Mascorro offers.

Anyway, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

If Trice's pal Jim is who I think he is (used to own a white Dodge pickup?) he's a fine man and I played pool with him in Alamos at a little pool hall with one light bulb in the whole place.

Skippy? Eh ... unless they guarantee to give you your money back (he offered me $300 back because I wanted to quit halfway though a trip that cost me something like $2,800 - and they raised the price a few days before I showed up and had already given them a deposit in the first place) then I would avoid Moto Discovery (Moto Broke as I often call them) like the proverbial plague.

Your mileage may vary.

PirateJohn screwed with this post 05-10-2011 at 09:17 PM
Old 05-10-2011, 09:06 PM   #3344
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
All of Michoacan is mystical.

El Alma de Mexico.

Old fotos I've posted a dozen times, I haven't been done there in a long time like 6 months but I sure do miss Michoacan...

Kiko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #3345
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,965
Quote:
All of Michoacan is mystical.

El Alma de Mexico.

Old fotos I've posted a dozen times, I haven't been done there in a long time like 6 months but I sure do miss it.]
Nice pix. Sure was looking forward to riding Michoacan when I came through Ajijic but had to serve time constraints instead. Next time. Thank you again for your generous hospitality.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote