Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #3346
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Motodiscovery News Link Here

Some of you may be familiar with Motodiscovery or might know the owner, Skip Mascorro. Skip and his folks have been riding with people to Mexico for years.

He runs Motodiscovery out of Spring Branch Texas, which is basically north San Antonio these days. In other words he's right here in town. Therefore, I talk to Skip from time to time, and I often see as well one of his former associates, Big Jim, who lives about a mile from me.

Jim (6'8") and I go riding around central Texas quite often. Nobody you know has been to Mexico on a motorcycle more often than Jim has. Nobody. That's because he's been to Mexico over 70 times on a bike.

It may be of some use for lurkers to know that Skip reports that neither he nor anyone on his Motodiscovery trips has encountered any cartel related problems in Mexico, ever. At the same time Big Jim also reports nada on any of his 70+ visits to Mexico, which for a while now have been mostly on his own going with various groups of friends who don't want to go there by themselves.

My own instincts tell me, unconfirmed, that while Skip may have adjusted his business plan to offer different routing options away from certain border areas out of caution, it was more as an adjustment to client sensitivity to the news. In other words, if people think the border is dangerous in spots, a smart business man will route around it to keep attracting customers.

The point is, here are two people whose interests have them running into Mexico all the time, and thus with a statistically significant exposure to the element of discussion at hand, and they've had nary a problem.

Add the above perspective to the other information gained in this thread and elsewhere as you form your own opinion of Mexico travel.
I would imagine that it was due to business interests. People that take these tours are mostly inexperienced with the the country they are visiting. Notice i said mostly, not entirely. They are going to research where they are going to see what to expect, mostly the good things to look for but im sure will come across some of the bad as well. It makes sense.

Personally i have had two encounters with suspected bad guys in Mexico. Obviously nothing major happened as I am still here. And in a way im living proof that as long as you are minding your own business as a tourist you are ok.

One was a checkpoint back in late 2008 before things got bad. No biggy, just got stopped by some dudes in a black SUV with guns. They had no badges and no uniforms. They were actually very courteous, but did a complete search of our luggage and truck, and in a way the federales, army, or marines have never searched my vehicle. I have played the scene over in my head many times and I am sure to this day they were not govt officials. However they were professional, courteous, and thorough.

The most recent was back in November of 2010 in Reynosa after dark coming home from Monterrey on the KLR. As we were in traffic i noticed a suspicious SUV. I was looking at something past it, then noticed what it was, and the guys noticed that i was looking their way even though i wasnt focused on it. Windows were cracked and you could see muzzles of rifles and those sparkly baseball caps that are popular around here. Light turned green and i drove off. At the next light they were still near me at about my 2 o clock and they had windows down guns very visible and a couple of them were starring right at me. When the light turned green we all took off and when i could i was able to weave through traffic to separate myself from them. I felt nervous and uncomfortable in that instance but never threatened. I think they were just curious as to who i was but werent about to do anything. Might have just been curious to see the motorcycle and my riding gear. I think they were just curious about the bike itself and not so much my intentions. Granted if i would have been off the road before dark the this wouldnt have happened to me. So, dont ride after dark in Mexico!

I think throughout this thread i have posted both of these cases but thought i would repost them in response to Trices comment.

My concerns with Mexico are in the random things that happen. I know i wont be targeted on the bike. My concerns are in the random road blocks which dont seem to be as common as they were a year ago, and the random shootings that happen and usually take place at night anyways. Chances are low that anything would happen, actually nearly impossible. With the two rare experiences i had running across suspected cartel members i need to be playing the lottery! I could be rich!

The wife is very uneasy about the situation and i have to admit a large reason as to why i have stopped traveling there. Last year when we were still engaged i took her down to Zacatecas for a week and we got to ride around on the bike and visit some awesome places. I will remember that week forever. She fell in love with Mexico and also wants to return badly but not yet.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:47 AM   #3347
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
If Trice's pal Jim is who I think he is (used to own a white Dodge pickup?) he's a fine man and I played pool with him in Alamos at a little pool hall with one light bulb in the whole place.
Don't know about the pickup truck but Jim is a pool shark. If the guy you played pool with was 6 foot 8, that's Jim.

Regarding your opinion of Skip Mascorro and his company, I'll leave that to you. The point was not to debate his company and whether or not it's worth anyone's time, it was to point out the high trip count they and Jim have racked up going into Mexico, without running into any cartel problems.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #3348
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
My concerns with Mexico are in the random things that happen. I know i wont be targeted on the bike. My concerns are in the random road blocks which dont seem to be as common as they were a year ago, and the random shootings that happen and usually take place at night anyways. Chances are low that anything would happen, actually nearly impossible. With the two rare experiences i had running across suspected cartel members i need to be playing the lottery! I could be rich!
My take is that your bike was being admired. My other take is that motorcycle travelers to Mexico are observed by cartel operatives more often than they even know, almost guaranteed near the border areas. The fact that (so far) moto travelers have been left completely alone says something.

As for the random stuff, as has been said before, you can minimize your risks to that kind of thing (don't ride at night, get past the border area, don't flash cash etc.) and press on. For others the possibility of random violence curtails their desire to go to Mexico. That's fine too and each rider's choice is personal.

The good news is, like the U.S. Mafia wars of yesteryear, this all will also fade into history.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:06 AM   #3349
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post

Must find out what gang sign they're flashing here
Old 05-11-2011, 04:15 AM   #3350
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Most Mexican travelers know they way to better bathrooms and they are free just common sense again who would like to poope in a gas station unless you wanted to be raped PEMEX bathrooms are for tourists
I understand what you are saying, however, if you can find me a can between say Vega de Alatorre and Acatlan or between say Alto Lucero and Palma Sola that isn't a Pemex, I'll pay you the $5 pesos. No, as a matter of fact the restaurant ones are worse so we won't be counting those. Even the local cops have to use the Pemex services, but they aren't tourists.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:20 AM   #3351
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Must find out what gang sign they're flashing here

They were both guessing about you and being kind? ;)
Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 AM   #3352
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
They were both guessing about you and erring on the side of caution? ;)
That's Kiko's pic. My guess is that they were signalling to him "our apartment is that-a-way you traveling moto hunk"
Old 05-11-2011, 05:46 AM   #3353
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
My take is that your bike was being admired. My other take is that motorcycle travelers to Mexico are observed by cartel operatives more often than they even know, almost guaranteed near the border areas. The fact that (so far) moto travelers have been left completely alone says something.

As for the random stuff, as has been said before, you can minimize your risks to that kind of thing (don't ride at night, get past the border area, don't flash cash etc.) and press on. For others the possibility of random violence curtails their desire to go to Mexico. That's fine too and each rider's choice is personal.

The good news is, like the U.S. Mafia wars of yesteryear, this all will also fade into history.
+1. It will be nice to see it pass, but i have my doubts about when and how.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:28 AM   #3354
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:

Regarding your opinion of Skip Mascorro and his company, I'll leave that to you. The point was not to debate his company and whether or not it's worth anyone's time, it was to point out the high trip count they and Jim have racked up going into Mexico, without running into any cartel problems.

Agreed.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #3355
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Article of the day

Ok dear friends that roam on this thread
Here is a 400K moto that you can take to Mexico without worries,tough the article is interesting enough to share it .

Intersting too the motorcyclists fatalities in accidents seem to be increasing in the last few years while Decreasing in car accidentes
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:56 AM   #3356
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,700
Quote:
Ok dear friends that roam on this thread

Here is a 400K moto that you can take to Mexico without worries,tough the article is interesting enough to share it .

Intersting too the motorcyclists fatalities in accidents seem to be increasing in the last few years while Decreasing in car accidentes
Already riding a 2010 H-D Ultra.

How anachronistic do I need to get??

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #3357
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,700
Quote:
This English Austrians make me laugh

You should come to bato's casa to visit Sunday
You have a PM.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 04:25 AM   #3358
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
but I don't spend too much time there I just do my thing don't seat there to read the news paper .
+1 on that!

It's like one of those Hercules aircraft drops where it's dropped over the ledge and then you get the hell out of there!

PM me if you are coming through or even if you are going to be in the Costa Esmeralda area. I'll pick up the tab for the eats.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:51 AM   #3359
Bato
Studly Adventurer

The bikes

Quote:
This English Austrians make me laugh

You should come to bato's casa to visit Sunday
meant to say .,The bikes prices make me laugh
Old 05-13-2011, 05:29 AM   #3360
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
+1 on that!

It's like one of those Hercules aircraft drops where it's dropped over the ledge and then you get the hell out of there!

PM me if you are coming through or even if you are going to be in the Costa Esmeralda area. I'll pick up the tab for the eats.
Thank you., MikeMike it would be nice., wife has family in Jalapa and a cousin of mine lives in Merida who works for Cemex., will keep the offer in mind I'll be in Tampico the 26th for the motohermandad