ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #3601
salty_monk
Gnarly Adventurer
 
salty_monk's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Redondo Beach, California
Oddometer: 140
I just got back from Baja - didn't have any problems all week. Made it down as far as Loreto. Went over at Tijuana & back over at Tecate.
salty_monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 PM   #3602
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
This is from a friend in the international security business:

Most of us who actually live on the border, or who actually travel into Mexico, would disagree or qualify almost every point that you make.

And your "friend" reads like a cut-and-paste from a conservative pro gun/anti-Mexican site.

Do you want to actually step forward and have your "friend" post here, or give us your own first hand experiences?
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #3603
jimmex
Guero con moto
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
This is from a friend in the international security business:

"... just got back from a security detail in Ciudad Juarez.

Guns there are in the hands exclusively of the most violent, while genuinely good people are prohibited from possessing them. And, when BHO claims to worry about 'militarizing the border,' he needn't. It is already the most militarized border in this Hemisphere. Only the USA is (voluntarily) unrepresented!

Driving in from El Paso, travelers are greeted by a barrage of signs, in English and Spanish, warning that firearms are prohibited, and stiff prison sentences will be imposed upon any who dare try to have some means of self-protection. But, in this region where violent death exceeds levels in Kabul and Baghdad combined, one can only wonder who are obeying this no-gun rule!

Legal ownership of guns in Mexico, by normal citizens, is nearly impossible. However, everywhere you turn, police and military troops are armed to the teeth. Meanwhile, equally well-armed cartel members, in contemptuous defiance of government and the law, create fake military road blocks in an effort to steal SUVs, trucks, and other vehicles, always (your guessed it!) at gunpoint.

Military personnel, thanks to HK's transparent magazines, obviously carry fully-charged magazines, unlike our own military who, when deployed to aid civil authority, carry empty guns. I'm not sure what they think they're going to learn from us!

Cartel violence is now expanding into Reynosa and Monterrey.

I continue to warn prospective travelers to avoid all border areas, indeed avoid the entire country!"

Comments: Blundering, incompetent, dishonest governments, on both sides of the border, make this terrible situation more-or-less permanent. The safety and welfare of good and decent citizens is positively the last thing either government apparently ever worries about!

As individuals, all of us need to understand that we are the only ones who care about the future of this civilization. The shrewd, pro-active, suspicious, and well-prepared might live to see it.

Few of the rest have much chance!

http://www.defense-training.com/quips/17June11.html
Sounds like State Dept. pooh.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #3604
jimmex
Guero con moto
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I think a fall trip to revisit Durango or revisit Oaxaca, or both, is formulating in the dark reaches of my mind.....
Hmmmmm....
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #3605
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Sounds like State Dept. pooh.
I've read this nonsense some place before. That part about transparent magazines stands out and is basically BS - around here and everywhere else the H&K G3 with a steel magazine is the standard issue rifle.

Anyway ... it's pretty silly. All of the regulars here could qualify almost every sentence of that post.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #3606
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 8,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Most of us who actually live on the border, or who actually travel into Mexico, would disagree or qualify almost every point that you make.

And your "friend" reads like a cut-and-paste from a conservative pro gun/anti-Mexican site.

Do you want to actually step forward and have your "friend" post here, or give us your own first hand experiences?
As a conservative pro-gun pro-Mexican kinda guy I gotta agree with you PJ. Dangit! It's happened AGAIN!

BTW, I got to fire a .22 rifle on a private ranch outside Chihuahua City last March. First time for that. In Mexico.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #3607
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
As a conservative pro-gun pro-Mexican kinda guy I gotta agree with you PJ. Dangit! It's happened AGAIN!

BTW, I got to fire a .22 rifle on a private ranch outside Chihuahua City last March. First time for that. In Mexico.

As a liberal gun-owning firearms-enthusiast we have to stop agreeing. It's screwing up the political karma here!

I once dated a gal that once dated what she told me was the son of the Guv'ner of a Mexican state. For various reasons I don't think this was a BS story (she knew her weapons, grew up in Acapulco, her family now owns two fine arts galleries in California, so she had the connections and resources, etc.)

Anyway, long story short, she told me that they would get together with his body guards, go to a public dump, and practice with automatic weapons.

The same gal supposedly was also "requested" by her room mates in college to lose her full-auto MAC-10 or move out.

Moving along ... I have seen advertisements around Victoria encouraging gringos to join hunting parties, and I can guarantee you that folks aren't hunting with slingshots.

For those reading, the laws are strict but civilians can own weapons for personal household protection in Mexico, and can do some sporting shooting. It involves red tape and permission from the local military commander, but it's fairly common.

Norte Americanos can also legally import legitimate hunting weapons, like shotguns.

There is an anecdotal story on another forum (MexConnect perhaps?) about a gringo retiree that was living in Mexico who shot an intruder and the local police wrote it up as the intruder being mysteriously shot in the yard with no suspects. As those of us that travel into Mexico know there is a certain element of (as once explained to me) that if you aren't a troublemaker, then no problem-o ...

But *DON'T* take illegal weapons into Mexico right now. Everyone assumes they are going to the cartels, and that's a big no-no.

So when I see these guns-are-good/Mexican-is-evil stories it irritates me because the truth is in the middle somewhere.

PS -

About 6 months ago I saw a guy walking down the sidewalk in Progreso with civilian clothes and a Browning pistol in a holster, just as bold as brass. Go figure.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #3608
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 8,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
As a liberal gun-owning firearms-enthusiast we have to stop agreeing. It's screwing up the political karma here!

I once dated a gal that once dated what she told me was the son of the Guv'ner of a Mexican state. For various reasons I don't think this was a BS story (she knew her weapons, grew up in Acapulco, her family now owns two fine arts galleries in California, so she had the connections and resources, etc.)

Anyway, long story short, she told me that they would get together with his body guards, go to a public dump, and practice with automatic weapons.

The same gal supposedly was also "requested" by her room mates in college to lose her full-auto MAC-10 or move out.

Moving along ... I have seen advertisements around Victoria encouraging gringos to join hunting parties, and I can guarantee you that folks aren't hunting with slingshots.

For those reading, the laws are strict but civilians can own weapons for personal household protection in Mexico, and can do some sporting shooting. It involves red tape and permission from the local military commander, but it's fairly common.

Norte Americanos can also legally import legitimate hunting weapons, like shotguns.

There is an anecdotal story on another forum (MexConnect perhaps?) about a gringo retiree that was living in Mexico who shot an intruder and the local police wrote it up as the intruder being mysteriously shot in the yard with no suspects. As those of us that travel into Mexico know there is a certain element of (as once explained to me) that if you aren't a troublemaker, then no problem-o ...

But *DON'T* take illegal weapons into Mexico right now. Everyone assumes they are going to the cartels, and that's a big no-no.

So when I see these guns-are-good/Mexican-is-evil stories it irritates me because the truth is in the middle somewhere.

PS -

About 6 months ago I saw a guy walking down the sidewalk in Progreso with civilian clothes and a Browning pistol in a holster, just as bold as brass. Go figure.
Never thought the truth lay somewhere between thyit and shinola. (Just a little karma fix there)

The greater story on guns and tourists in Mexico isn't something I'd post here. Maybe over puros and a bucket of Indios.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul

SchizzMan screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 10:07 PM
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #3609
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I've read this nonsense some place before. That part about transparent magazines stands out and is basically BS - around here and everywhere else the H&K G3 with a steel magazine is the standard issue rifle.

Anyway ... it's pretty silly. All of the regulars here could qualify almost every sentence of that post.
Yup. The ones with see-through are typically the G36 type. I believe that state police in Chihuahua carry those, as well as some smaller departments. For some reason thats the only place I have seen them in Mexico, not to say they dont exist in other states.

Edit: According to wikipedia some feds also have the G36, and it says the army doesn't. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_G36

Last year when coming through a military checkpoint with Arte & Co we went through with an ATV behind us with a hunting rifle on the back. Of course they were asked for permits and went right through with no trouble.

My ancestors were big time ranchers in Chihuahua. In fact a great uncle of mine was the head of the Cattle Raisers Assoc for Mexico and had some connections in the government. He always carried weapons and until the day he died (recently) owned weapons in Mexico. My dad was crossing the border with his family once as a kid and the Mexican officials wanted to confiscate my grandpas revolver. He threatened to call one of his brothers connections and report this. Needless to say the officials at that crossing never bothered him again. Of course the 1960's was a different time.
__________________
2009 KLR650

pilot815 screwed with this post 06-28-2011 at 10:40 PM
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #3610
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Never thought the truth lay somewhere between thyit and shinola. (Just a little karma fix there)

The greater story on guns and tourists in Mexico isn't something I'd post here. Maybe over puros and a bucket of Indios.

Agreed! Some things need to remain a secret.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #3611
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Yup. The ones with see-through are typically the G36 type. I believe that state police in Chihuahua carry those, as well as some smaller departments. For some reason thats the only place I have seen them in Mexico, not to say they dont exist in other states.

Edit: According to wikipedia some feds also have the G36, and it says the army doesn't. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_G36

Mexico also bought the FN PS90 which has a see-through magazine but those suckers are rare.

And the FX-05 Xiuhcoatl (a development of the H&K G36) are supposed to be entering service, and I have seen them on the news, but once again those things are VERY rare.

Anyway, whoever wrote that article was most likely surfing the web, and making up nonsense as they went along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Last year when coming through a military checkpoint with Arte & Co we went through with an ATV behind us with a hunting rifle on the back. Of course they were asked for permits and went right through with no trouble.

My ancestors were big time ranchers in Chihuahua. In fact a great uncle of mine was the head of the Cattle Raisers Assoc for Mexico and had some connections in the government. He always carried weapons and until the day he died (recently) owned weapons in Mexico. My dad was crossing the border with his family once as a kid and the Mexican officials wanted to confiscate my grandpas revolver. He threatened to call one of his brothers connections and report this. Needless to say the officials at that crossing never bothered him again. Of course the 1960's was a different time.

I like the part about an ATV, since you very rarely see those licensed for the street in the USA.

But in some of the rural Mexican towns you see them regularly.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #3612
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer
 
pilot815's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Deep South Texas
Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Mexico also bought the FN PS90 which has a see-through magazine but those suckers are rare.

And the FX-05 Xiuhcoatl (a development of the H&K G36) are supposed to be entering service, and I have seen them on the news, but once again those things are VERY rare.

Anyway, whoever wrote that article was most likely surfing the web, and making up nonsense as they went along.




I like the part about an ATV, since you very rarely see those licensed for the street in the USA.

But in some of the rural Mexican towns you see them regularly.
PS90's are very cool.


Not sure if it was licensed. I know in Fresnillo, where I used to live, the wealthier kids all cruised around on ATVs. They were never licensed but because of who was driving them, the police never bothered them. In fact the transito was pretty much non-existent in Fresnillo. It seemed like anybody could drive anything. It was common to see real young kids on scooters and police just didnt seem to care.
__________________
2009 KLR650
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #3613
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Fixt

JK, Mark.

Hope you can join us for Dia de los Muertos in Oaxaca this fall. Should be a good time.
What's the timing of this fine event? I'd love to voyage on down. I just have this problem. Work interferes with my riding. Somedays, it just makes me wish I had a drinking problem.

Maybe with a firm date range, I could dictate the schedule around here.



(DdeM is day after/before halloween or something? That's pretty much the end of rainy season, right?)
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #3614
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
PS90's are very cool.


Not sure if it was licensed. I know in Fresnillo, where I used to live, the wealthier kids all cruised around on ATVs. They were never licensed but because of who was driving them, the police never bothered them. In fact the transito was pretty much non-existent in Fresnillo. It seemed like anybody could drive anything. It was common to see real young kids on scooters and police just didnt seem to care.

My little personal Margaritaville of Nuevo Progreso is basically a small town in the middle of a bunch of farmer's fields; Progreso itself is so small they get their services, including police, from Rio Bravo.

Anyway, every so often there will be an ATV on the streets threre.

The cops used to have one too ... painted black and white. But I haven't seen it for some time.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #3615
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
(DdeM is day after/before halloween or something? That's pretty much the end of rainy season, right?)
November 1st and 2nd, the first night to honor children and the following for deceased adult family members. 31 October is spent decorating the cemetary and getting the house ready, and preparing food. The actual prep for this really lasts longer than that.

There is a fine line between personal, familiy oriented remembrance of the dead and public theater. While strangers are usually welcome and, in Oaxaca, the event is a thinly veiled tourist attraction, it is best remembered that polite interaction, keeping a bit of a distance, and asking before taking photographs, etc, go hand in hand in keeping everyone happy.

Yes, tours are organized and sell out in Oaxaca for both 1 and 2 November, and there are crowds in the cemetaries. It is a huge street party with parades, festivals, fireworks and all the rest. Photos from last year's Oaxaca Dia de los Muertos are in my ride report.

I never could square with taking photographs of family vigils, and didn't even desire to ask permission to do so as that felt awkward. Plenty of others felt otherwise, or just blindly snapped away. The graciousness of the Mexican family knows almost no bounds, and in this arena, all were unfailingly polite.

Oaxaca is a very easy reach, directly via autopista if you wish, or a fun mountainous ride from Veracruz state.

Of course it's not the only place in Mexico that celebrates Dia de los Muertos, but it's probably the best.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014