Old 06-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #3661
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Are they the slippery kind ?
¿Hay alguna otra?

No son una especie de pervertido, ¿verdad?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #3662
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Surprising that they caught somebody. Its easy to get away with. Ask me how I know....
These are friends who grew up in Saltillo, but I suspect there is an element of "there is more to the story that we discussed."

Anyway the story goes that the got a knock on the door of their hotel room in the DF and two guys wearing business suits came in. They got questioned and when unable to produce the appropriate visa were told to leave the country and that their passports were being confiscated.

Incidentally, they never ID'd the guys in the suits, nor what agency they worked for, so do your own math there.

Just as a matter of trivia, I did notice that while the US does theoretically have a visa for business, the Feds have ordered their people not to harass non-US nationals that come here on tourist visas and are otherwise legal but want to conduct some business on the side.

Not so much Mexico, which has fairly strict visa requirements for business travelers although as you say there is business and there is casual business.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:18 AM   #3663
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Mine ... or those that ride with me?

And listen to my lame advice?

We were talking about putting our real estate magazines in the book and magazine stores at the Reynosa and Monterrey Airports. If that comes to pass that will be a quick "smuggling" ride once a month. I'd love it!

(For those that care Mexico has strong prohibitions on doing business on a tourist visa, and restrictions on importing printed materials, particularly of a commercial nature. One of our business partners had his passport taken away for supposedly doing business on the wrong visa, and has never returned to Mexico.)
Hey PJ,

Have you considered smuggling a PDF file across the border, and using a Presna down there? They might be cheaper, and may be able to set up a broader / easier distribution arrangement. I know you're probably printing twice, but it might save you from a soldier inspecting your sidecases and wondering "WTF?- a magazine smuggler?"
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:38 AM   #3664
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Hey PJ,

Have you considered smuggling a PDF file across the border, and using a Presna down there? They might be cheaper, and may be able to set up a broader / easier distribution arrangement. I know you're probably printing twice, but it might save you from a soldier inspecting your sidecases and wondering "WTF?- a magazine smuggler?"
And PDF file is so small he could hide it almost anywhere.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #3665
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Hey PJ,

We actually did print the book once with a printer in Monterrey and have had negotiations with those folks as well as another Mexican printer so, yes, that isn't out of the question.

It all boils down to cost, Mark. Around here there is an established distribution network for what we are doing and I pay roughly $5 to get the books placed per spot; the best offer that I got in Mexico to establish a distribution network was $100 a location. Remember, this is a free magazine - we don't even sell it to recoup the expenses!

Anyway,. I've been carrying boxes of magazines back and forth for several months in the Land Rover. The US guys questioned me one time; the Mexicans never. I was just telling SWMBO'd that getting the K11 up and running and hauling a side bag's worth of magazines to the Monterrey Aeropuerto wouldn't be too tough since it's all good roads and autopista.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #3666
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
And PDF file is so small he could hide it almost anywhere.
As a practical matter I think the "just dropping some off with a drinking buddy" excuse will work, especially if one is riding a motorcycle. After all, we are only talking a box of magazines so if they get confiscated it's no big deal.

Now, taking one of the vending displays into Mexico ... that might be another animal.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #3667
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
These are friends who grew up in Saltillo, but I suspect there is an element of "there is more to the story that we discussed."

Anyway the story goes that the got a knock on the door of their hotel room in the DF and two guys wearing business suits came in. They got questioned and when unable to produce the appropriate visa were told to leave the country and that their passports were being confiscated.

Incidentally, they never ID'd the guys in the suits, nor what agency they worked for, so do your own math there.

Just as a matter of trivia, I did notice that while the US does theoretically have a visa for business, the Feds have ordered their people not to harass non-US nationals that come here on tourist visas and are otherwise legal but want to conduct some business on the side.

Not so much Mexico, which has fairly strict visa requirements for business travelers although as you say there is business and there is casual business.
Mexican Customs agency never goes after US or other foreing visitors doing business in Mexico, unless someone "advice" them to do so for some reason.
I have had visitors from all over the world doing business on the Reynosa Industry, all paperwork OK but never have some agent check them to make sure they are complying.

sad to say it but I think there is not much "profit" for authorities on this field

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #3668
PirateJohn
Banned

Interesting! Thanks Arte!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #3669
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Mexican Customs agency never goes after US or other foreing visitors doing business in Mexico, unless someone "advice" them to do so for some reason.
I have had visitors from all over the world doing business on the Reynosa Industry, all paperwork OK but never have some agent check them to make sure they are complying.

sad to say it but I think there is not much "profit" for authorities on this field
Professional Courtesy is probably why they dont do it.

My dad rode up yesterday and is currently sitting on my couch and showed me this: http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2011/0...e-daylong.html

That picture where the bus is burned can be seen from the second floor of his house. He left town around 4:30 that morning. Shooting started around 6 according to the article.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #3670
PirateJohn
Banned

Just FYI the Texas Department of Public Safety, which in my opinion has a history of anti-Mexican sensationalism, has a warning that they have intelligence claiming that the Zetas are aiming to target US citizens in Nuevo Laredo this weekend. That's on the local news here in McAllen and I see that it's going online as we speak:

http://onlinenewswebsite.com/america...n-town/108476/

Anyway ... the article above quotes a source in Nuevo Laredo as saying they aren't aware of anything unusual.

Use your judgment. I'd probably stay out of N. Laredo's Boy's Town just to be safe, but I wouldn't have a problem with riding through the town in the middle of the day and hitting the toll road to Monterrey.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #3671
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,941
You can probably get it printed to your liking at the Office Depot in Monterrey.
There are 2 locations. Try sending an email to any radio station ad department and you'll easily find a hungry copy writer that can probably handle print copy. Just some random thoughts for you. Good luck with the project.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #3672
PirateJohn
Banned

thanks MikeMike!

The problem with printing at something like an Office Depot is that they usually cannot come close to the quality of a magazine printer, and what they do print is horribly expensive.

With that said I am wondering about doing a small secondary run for the Mexican market with one of the printers in Monterrey that we have been in touch with.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #3673
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
My dad rode up yesterday and is currently sitting on my couch and showed me this: http://www.borderlandbeat.com/2011/0...e-daylong.html

That picture where the bus is burned can be seen from the second floor of his house. He left town around 4:30 that morning. Shooting started around 6 according to the article.
So let me get this straight, this battle in Fresnillo with 15 dead Zetas and the burned bus outside your dad's house is the same Fresnillo your dad was inviting me to visit when you guys were over at my place yesterday, correct?
Old 07-02-2011, 11:28 PM   #3674
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,825
Is Mexico safe?? No. I go to Baja several times a year. Mexico is not safe but, I am. I make sure I do all I can to be safe, just like when I am home in the USA. Is the Cartel in Baja, yes. Are they gonna kill you, probably not.

Chance of death = low

Chance of fun= 100%
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #3675
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
So let me get this straight, this battle in Fresnillo with 15 dead Zetas and the burned bus outside your dad's house is the same Fresnillo your dad was inviting me to visit when you guys were over at my place yesterday, correct?
Yeah, in fact that same day that we were talking about at your place this battle was raging. So when are we going?