Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2011, 05:53 AM   #3766
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,926
Arte, not to mention less vehicle traffic there especially past 6pm.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #3767
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
So ... does this mean that the citizens of San Fernando don't have gasoline these days?

That sure would stop the bad guys. For that matter it will stop everything down there.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #3768
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post

I was thinking about that Pemex that is roughly at 25 3'59.16"N 98 4'11.48"W ... that's a big center of the universe out there in the middle of nothing.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:57 AM   #3769
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
San Fernando should still have gas , there always was a station in town north end and another south end ,Still open now guys?
Coming north this past late February I was surprised south of SF to see that the huge Pemex at La Coma, the junction of Mex 180 and 101 just south of the major military checkpoint, was closed. What really got my attention was to see that the small motel /restaurant in the Y of the actual junction had been abandoned and vandalized. The bastards!
Otherwise it was never an issue to find gas anywhere down to Tampico, certainly not anywhere else., Did also notice while overnighting in Soto L a Marina thet the town cops' cars had their police bedge on the doors spraypainted over with black.And it got very quiet o town streets earlier in the evening than was usual in Soto La Marina .
Never had any problems though. ,Just minding my own bidnis .I say keep riding through and give the local business some support , they need it especially now that the highway bypasses more towns
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #3770
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
San Fernando should still have gas , there always was a station in town north end and another south end ,Still open now guys?
Coming north this past late February I was surprised south of SF to see that the huge Pemex at La Coma, the junction of Mex 180 and 101 just south of the major military checkpoint, was closed. What really got my attention was to see that the small motel /restaurant in the Y of the actual junction had been abandoned and vandalized. The bastards!
Otherwise it was never an issue to find gas anywhere down to Tampico, certainly not anywhere else., Did also notice while overnighting in Soto L a Marina thet the town cops' cars had their police bedge on the doors spraypainted over with black.And it got very quiet o town streets earlier in the evening than was usual in Soto La Marina .
Never had any problems though. ,Just minding my own bidnis .I say keep riding through and give the local business some support , they need it especially now that the highway bypasses more towns
Where did you overnight in Soto La Marina ?

We overnighted there about three years ago, Can't remember the name of the place. It was new, on the south end of town and on the east side of the main road. about a block north of a resturant who's name I don't remember. I wasn't feeling real well. Guess the brain wasn't either.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:21 PM   #3771
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
I was thinking about that Pemex that is roughly at 25 3'59.16"N 98 4'11.48"W ... that's a big center of the universe out there in the middle of nothing.
Incomplete liters that's all....
http://www.encuestam.com.mx/?v1=nota&v2=17256
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #3772
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
To Acejones:
Soto La Marina has been a very regular overnight stop for me over the years and I have stayed at several different hotels there but usually repeat at a few.
This last trip we spent the night at Hotel Maria Yolanda , a very nice place in town center at #12 Calle Juarez in the block just west off the south side of the plaza. Very secure for the worry warts as there is a metal rolling gate that gets drawn across the entry to the parking area in front of the rooms.
I also stay at the Hotel Chicago just north of the plaza west side . Here the parking area is ungated but I have never had any problem with that . Nice rooms ,internet cafe downstairs.
I have even stayed in the simple little motel Hotel La Fuente ( notes) on east side of highway at far north end of town ,north of the side road exit to La Pesca. Very basic but the owner has an old semi chopped / customized BMW
parked in front of the rooms. For any of the hotels , once you close your eyes to doze off they all look the same
The hotel you speak of I also know, it is a big modern white painted 3 story affair with parking entry at the back .Not with my notes now and the name escapes me, but it is actually about midway in town east side frontage road .
At the south end of town just before the bend in th highway there is also a nice big motel La Quinta ( NOT part of the chain of same name , just playing on a trademark ... notes) on west side with secure parking at rear and a restaurant in it.
All these downtown hotels are a nice easy walk from the restaurant you noted , ,the one on east side of highway opposite Calle Juarez , red brick, dining area on second level , Right?. It all comes flooding back from my memory banks video .
Everybody- get out ther and visit Soto!

Quote:
They probably had their pumps set up by somebody who spent time in the US and took it a bit too seriously dealing with galones y cuartos de galones and now he sets up the pumps to dispense "liters " of 946mL Too many a time have I bought a container of oil in Mexico which clearly states its contents as 946 mL but the storekeeper still called it a litro.
Why, oh WHY is this silly practice of keeping oil in such wacko US- sized containers in Mexico , by Pemex and brands of the huge multi-national oil companies when everyting related to the auto industry , chemistry bla bla bla ... you name it has been done in metric for ages?I know, its " tradition'' ..... and a sneeky simple way of keeping the consumer confused and frustrate any attemp t to make quick simple price comparisons

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 07-19-2011 at 04:55 AM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #3773
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
http://www.encuestam.com.mx/?v1=nota&v2=17256

So maybe there is more to the story than just the bad guys ...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:15 AM   #3774
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,655
To Sjoerd,
You were absolutely right about the motel I asked about (I didn't remember it being 3 story) and the resturant to the south. with any luck I may get that way in November and look around some more.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #3775
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
There's a story floating around here that 3 maybe 4 buses were hijacked in the Las Norias area around San Fernando, Tamaulipas this week.

Everyone was rescued by the Mexican Army/Marines. The buses had gps attached and a passenger called in on a cell phone. Quick response on the part of the Mexican military.

What I found interesting is that the buses were headed south from Reynosa and not north to Texas.

You probably won't see a "Terror Alert" broadcast on the cable TV news stations up North about this since everyone was rescued due to the prompt response of the Mexican Military, but then that is just how the media works at times.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #3776
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post

What I found interesting is that the buses were headed south from Reynosa and not north to Texas.
southbound bus passengers may be a result of the drought and economic downturn. Glad everyone is OK.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #3777
PirateJohn
Banned

When I was working at a building supply store in McAllen about 12 months ago one of the guys said that his wife was on a bus to Tampico and it was stopped and some guys in military uniforms took a couple of people off the bus. This was supposed to be on the outskirts of Reynosa but it wouldn't surprise me if it was closer to San Fernando.

Long story short, I was a bit skeptical then but it appears that this has been going on for some time.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:12 AM   #3778
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,202
... on a lighter note.

it rained in guanajuato and i found a great bottle of anejo 100% weber agave "tequilla" produced in tarimoro, guanajuato for $appox $17 for a 750ml at a small corner store. it's called: agave real de tarimoro. aged 8yrs. guy brought it out from the back. it's unreal smooth for $17 and it put it up against stuff that is 2x $. it has a legit gov. alcohol sticker on it. i'll take a pic of it asap.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:19 AM   #3779
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,202
it's most containers. milk is sold in gallon containers and labeled as 3.something L. beer is in the same 12oz alum. cans and labled 355ml. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_ounces_are_in_355_ml
the US. US corporations have a huge influence on what exist in MX.

on the flip side spirit bootle are in ml sizes even in the us since 1979.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
To Acejones:
Soto La Marina has been a very regular overnight stop for me over the years and I have stayed at several different hotels there but usually repeat at a few.
This last trip we spent the night at Hotel Maria Yolanda , a very nice place in town center at #12 Calle Juarez in the block just west off the south side of the plaza. Very secure for the worry warts as there is a metal rolling gate that gets drawn across the entry to the parking area in front of the rooms.
I also stay at the Hotel Chicago just north of the plaza west side . Here the parking area is ungated but I have never had any problem with that . Nice rooms ,internet cafe downstairs.
I have even stayed in the simple little motel on east side of highway at far north end of town ,north of the side road exit to La Pesca. Very basic but the owner has an old semi chopped / customized BMW
parked in front of the rooms. For any of the hotels , once you close your eyes to doze off they all look the same
The hotel you speak of I also know, it is a big modern white painted 3 story affair with parking entry at the back .Not with my notes now and the name escapes me, but it is actually about midway in town east side frontage road .
At the south end of town just before the bend in th highway there is also a nice big motel on west side with secure parking at rear and a restaurant in it.
All these downtown hotels are a nice easy walk from the restaurant you noted , ,the one on east side of highway opposite Calle Juarez , red brick, dining area on second level , Right?. It all comes flooding back from my memory banks video .
Everybody- get out ther and visit Soto!

They probably had their pumps set up by somebody who spent time in the US and took it a bit too seriously dealing with galones y cuartos de galones and now he sets up the pumps to dispense "liters " of 946mL Too many a time have I bought a container of oil in Mexico which clearly states its contents as 946 mL but the storekeeper still called it a litro.
Why, oh WHY is this silly practice of keeping oil in such wacko US- sized containers in Mexico , by Pemex and brands of the huge multi-national oil companies when everyting related to the auto industry , chemistry bla bla bla ... you name it has been done in metric for ages?I know, its " tradition'' ..... and a sneeky simple way of keeping the consumer confused and frustrate any attemp t to make quick simple price comparisons
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 07-19-2011 at 12:24 AM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:19 AM   #3780
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
When I was working at a building supply store in McAllen about 12 months ago one of the guys said that his wife was on a bus to Tampico and it was stopped and some guys in military uniforms took a couple of people off the bus. This was supposed to be on the outskirts of Reynosa but it wouldn't surprise me if it was closer to San Fernando.

Long story short, I was a bit skeptical then but it appears that this has been going on for some time.
Was there a prison break around that time? Last year when I was traveling quite a bit by bus we were stopped at a military checkpoint and they pulled a couple guys off the bus that fit the profile. The story I got was that a bunch of people broke out of the reynosa prison and buses were being stopped and they were looking for the people that escaped.

On a side note, I was very interested to see how the military treated people on the different bus lines. I was riding ETN, which is an executive bus line. The soldiers or federales would get on the bus, act very courteous and explain what they were doing. I did the same trip a couple months later on one of the more basic bus lines, and the treatment to say the least was quite a bit different.