Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2011, 06:37 PM   #3811
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,192
You're welcome! It is a cool resource, no? Has the lat and long coordinates, elevation, details etc...
so you can see where you've been and where you're going to next. Some of those towns bring back some
great memories. And then there are the ones yet to visit.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #3812
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,982
I don't think I understand the previous post.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #3813
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Yeah. Mr. Bato ... Amigo ... we need a better link!

Being in the real estate advertising business here I have gotten a couple of nibbles on some properties at the Playa Bagdad. Evidently someone built some modest "condos" there after negotiating the deal over some tequila shots.

Seriously, I would love to be out there, but only after the Mexican Marines (who have a base there) loan me a G3 and agree to let me keep my own stash of gringo weapons that would make some NRA members blush.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #3814
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Yeah. Mr. Bato ... Amigo ... we need a better link!

Being in the real estate advertising business here I have gotten a couple of nibbles on some properties at the Playa Bagdad. Evidently someone built some modest "condos" there after negotiating the deal over some tequila shots.

Seriously, I would love to be out there, but only after the Mexican Marines (who have a base there) loan me a G3 and agree to let me keep my own stash of gringo weapons that would make some NRA members blush.
Sounds like "ground zero" to me.

An associate of mine returned from S. Africa years ago with some anecdotes from working as a so-called "Police Reservist" during aparteid. I don't share these stories - disturbingly graphic. Anyway, when I told him I was pursuing a Class III permit to invest in something that could be handy after fecal distribution by fan, he laughed and said if I ever had to use it I would render myself "ground zero" for every bad guy needing a weapon.

That's what he saw over there, at least. Sumpin' to think about.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #3815
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

This thread seems to have wandered waaaay off topic.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #3816
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
This thread seems to have wandered waaaay off topic.
Aveces.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 07-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #3817
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Aveces.
Una gran parte del tiempo
Old 07-28-2011, 01:44 PM   #3818
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Sounds like "ground zero" to me.

An associate of mine returned from S. Africa years ago with some anecdotes from working as a so-called "Police Reservist" during aparteid. I don't share these stories - disturbingly graphic. Anyway, when I told him I was pursuing a Class III permit to invest in something that could be handy after fecal distribution by fan, he laughed and said if I ever had to use it I would render myself "ground zero" for every bad guy needing a weapon.

That's what he saw over there, at least. Sumpin' to think about.

You, a conservative, telling me not to get armed to the teeth?

Funny. Especially since I have also toyed with the idea of getting a Class III weapon, although I wasn't looking so much at getting something that was a full-auto as getting a silencer (once upon a time) and lately having a legal short barreled rifle.

Anyway ... back on the subject of "is Mexico safe" I really like the Playa Bagdad but I have wondered what it was like at night because I suspect that the little cluster of restaurants and motels over there is pretty well abandoned when the sun goes down.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #3819
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
You, a conservative, telling me not to get armed to the teeth?
Well, uh, YEAH! Look what y'all did to Cuba and Nicaragua and El Salvador? JK, PJ.

Quote:
Funny. Especially since I have also toyed with the idea of getting a Class III weapon, although I wasn't looking so much at getting something that was a full-auto as getting a silencer (once upon a time) and lately having a legal short barreled rifle.
Just to connect the dots here the idea of being armed in Mexico is one I find most untenable, quiet literally. Not that you were serious. Even if I could legally carry in Mexico I think I would forego it due to the liabilities peculiar to Mexico. Even here it's a pretty dicey proposition to defend yourself against armed assailants.

Quote:
Anyway ... back on the subject of "is Mexico safe" I really like the Playa Bagdad but I have wondered what it was like at night because I suspect that the little cluster of restaurants and motels over there is pretty well abandoned when the sun goes down.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #3820
Mangicaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks Mike...2
Mangicaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:51 PM   #3821
Mangicaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
You don't need no stinkin guns!

After you go into Mexico, if you are near either coast, go to your nearest friendly hardware store and get some "fishin" equipment which was readily available last time I was there : 1/4 sticks of dynamite wrapped tightly in newspaper dipped in epoxy with a fuse sticking out. You don't need no stinkin guns when you can get "fishin equipment". Guns are illegal to import but you can get 1/4 sticks...go figure.
Mangicaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #3822
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:

Just to connect the dots here the idea of being armed in Mexico is one I find most untenable, quiet literally. Not that you were serious. Even if I could legally carry in Mexico I think I would forego it due to the liabilities peculiar to Mexico. Even here it's a pretty dicey proposition to defend yourself against armed assailants.

Oh yeah, I was definitely joking, and for anyone that is reading this JD and I know each other well enough in Meat Space that he understands when I kid. ** BUT TAKING FIREARMS INTO MEXICO WITHOUT THE PROPER PERMITS IS A MAJORLY STUPID MOVE**

Now, with that said, there are some limited provisions for civilians in Mexico to possess firearms and from what I have heard it wouldn't be out of the question for a gringo with a residency permit to possess a legal .380 pistol or a shotgun.

I also suspect that "unofficially" under the right circumstances a bodyguard or borrowing a weapon could be arranged but once again folks reading this have to understand that we are talking about a remote and somewhat primitive fishing village with some minor touristy facilities and my understanding is that someone has built a very small number of condos out there. And smack dab in the middle of things is a Marine base and they have seen some serious action lately. So it's a pretty rarified set of circumstances.

I do agree with you JD that using a weapon is a last resort and avoiding trouble is the best thing.

I kinda disagree with you about a serious firearm drawing further trouble, especially if no one knows about it and you aren't out waving it around, but your comment does remind me that there have been warnings in Monterrey not to drive those fancy armored SUVs, BMWs and Mercedes because the bad guys have been taking the cars. The only attack on a US-based executive that I can think of that actually happened was, indeed, to steal their bullet-proofed car and the executive got roughed up over that.

You mentioned that your advice came from a pal from South Africa. I have seen photos of ranchers and white farmers back in the day that were carrying Uzis - evidently with all the boycotts against SA the Israelis were happy to sell weapons and the SA guv'mint was happy to allow white folks to carry full-auto weapons.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #3823
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangicaker View Post
Guns are illegal to import but you can get 1/4 sticks...go figure.

No joke? I didn't know that ... do they sell them as really big firecrackers?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #3824
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,847
Quote:
The food will kill you ... by heart attack ... in about 89 years time.
man i got into something that is giving me the Montezuma and killing me today.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #3825
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
man i got into something that is giving me the Montezuma and killing me today.
Lomotil, mi amigo.