Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2011, 03:53 PM   #3826
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Now, with that said, there are some limited provisions for civilians in Mexico to possess firearms and from what I have heard it wouldn't be out of the question for a gringo with a residency permit to possess a legal .380 pistol or a shotgun.
Yes. Got expat friends in Baja with a shotgun registered with local LE.

Quote:
I kinda disagree with you about a serious firearm drawing further trouble, especially if no one knows about it and you aren't out waving it around, but your comment does remind me that there have been warnings in Monterrey not to drive those fancy armored SUVs, BMWs and Mercedes because the bad guys have been taking the cars. The only attack on a US-based executive that I can think of that actually happened was, indeed, to steal their bullet-proofed car and the executive got roughed up over that.

You mentioned that your advice came from a pal from South Africa. I have seen photos of ranchers and white farmers back in the day that were carrying Uzis - evidently with all the boycotts against SA the Israelis were happy to sell weapons and the SA guv'mint was happy to allow white folks to carry full-auto weapons.
Yeah, he was talking about actually using a FA in an unstable situation, not just possessing one. When bad guys are out in force to do mischief ripping off a 20 rd. 'nanner clip is just as likely to send them running your way as the other way. Kinda like ringing the dinner bell. "Come and get it!"

His dos centavos, anyway.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #3827
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Lomotil, mi amigo.
i'll have to look for some of that. thx.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #3828
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

[QUOTE=Bato;16503113]
Quote:
Yeah. Mr. Bato ... Amigo ... we need a better link!

Hope you like this one
Man, that guy is an awesome endurance rider!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 07-28-2011, 11:26 PM   #3829
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
[QUOTE=Bato;16503113]
Quote:
Yeah. Mr. Bato ... Amigo ... we need a better link!

Hope you like this one
"The receptionist at the hotel, she’s called Berty. She was friendly, helpful and utterly not impressed with my adventure. ‘They all come up here’, she tells me, ‘all the nutters on the motorbikes’."

I love it! Thanks!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:23 AM   #3830
Mangicaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
You don't need no stinkin guns.

I don't know why they sell the 1/4 sticks except many people seem to use they for "fishing". They are totally water proof and when you weight one and drop it off a Ponga...the fish just magically rise to the surface. They are also good if you happen upon a rock loaded with giant "ocean rats". No one ever bothers the "ocean rats". Lob a 1/4 stick and the rats dive in (fly through the air actually) never knew they could jump that high.. and you see if there are any great whites around. Makes the Ponga capitans a little nervosa. But a big tip helps. Makes for a really great "ugly American" experience, unavailable in the CONUS. Baja is a great place by land and sea.
Mangicaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #3831
Mangicaker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
You don't need no stinkin guns

And before the greenies start squawking, Mangicaker never personally participated in any of the above....just saw it happen. It's safer to ride in Mexico than around the beltway in DC or the freeways in LA. If you want to ride down there....RIDE. If you break down you'll have many folks offer to help. See if any citizens offer to help you if you break down on the DC beltway.
Mangicaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:56 AM   #3832
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,582
Those rotten cartels!

They're taking people's cheese money.

Cheese money in Chihuahua
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #3833
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,214
What goes clop, clop, clickity, clop, clop BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, clop, clop, clickity, clop...?

A Mennonite drive by shooting.

Nobody here remembers when the zapato was on the other foot and some members of the "Big Cheese" cartel were transporting pot through the US and into Canada by the car load?
They had a good set up going until a customs and border security detail remembered to check members of a religious group that doesn't use zippers and then the cat was out of the bag.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #3834
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
What goes clop, clop, clickity, clop, clop BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, clop, clop, clickity, clop...?

Nobody here remembers when the zapato was on the other foot and some members of the "Big Cheese" cartel were transporting pot through the US and into Canada by the car load?
They had a good set up going until a customs and border security detail remembered to check members of a religious group that doesn't use zippers and then the cat was out of the bag.
A couple weeks ago there was a huge military operation in Fresnillo, Zac. From what I heard from the locals is the marines rolled into the city dressed as menonites, then pulled out their weapons and opened fire.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #3835
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:

The article alludes to that- I think it was even back in the 90's. Pretty much before a lot of people on the north side of the border heard anything about cartels. I think some guys even did some federal time in the US. Anyone is subject to temptation..... a lot of the Mennonites down there have the same economic problems the rest of the Mexican population has. What can make it worse is, some colonias discourage anything beyond basic education, and what education they may get, can be pretty lousy. Then, being closely tied to a tight-knit community (where your only romantic opportunities may be relatives ) and temptation can come pretty easily.

They dress differently, but they're just like anyone else...
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #3836
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Hey Bato!

The shop just called.

Your skateboard is ready.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #3837
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
As much as I've sworn I would never do another Mexico BMW Rally because I typically dislike canned entertainment, I've been talked into it and paid the fees, so I'll be in Durango in October for the rally, with a separate side shot to Mazatlan for a Sea of Cortez fix.

SR take notice. If you left anything when you were at my house let me know before October.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:58 PM   #3838
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
As much as I've sworn I would never do another Mexico BMW Rally because I typically dislike canned entertainment, I've been talked into it and paid the fees, so I'll be in Durango in October for the rally, with a separate side shot to Mazatlan for a Sea of Cortez fix.

SR take notice. If you left anything when you were at my house let me know before October.
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:24 AM   #3839
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Be sure to pack your Armani, Tag Heuer, and put your secretary up at a nearby hotel. LOL!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #3840
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,392
Quote:
Be sure to pack your Armani, Tag Heuer, and put your secretary up at a nearby hotel. LOL!
This is not far from the truth at these events
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote