At this point, you can be satisfied with your decision not to go to Mexico
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #3947
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Yes, I've posted this one before. Complaints can be filed on the little dot at the end of this sentence.

You are obsessed with Salma Hayek. Yer killing me.

Now where is that damn slide show you posted a while ago?
Old 08-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #3948
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,401
For some people, a motorcycle trip to Mexico falls within their risk management parameters

For other people, a motorcycle trip to Mexico does not fall within their risk management parameters

This discussion isn't about tourism trend lines, what your friends say, or how many headlines you can find on the internet. These are all data points used in decision making. If these or other data points lead you to conclude that riding to Mexico isn't for you at this time, then all well and good. Other riders might take the information that's out there and come to the conclusion that a motorcycle ride to Mexico, from their risk management perspective, is do-able.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #3949
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aanarchy View Post
You are obsessed with Salma Hayek. Yer killing me.

Now where is that damn slide show you posted a while ago?
Salma has to appear per the thread's contract with her, which runs through 2015

Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #3950
Aanarchy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Salma has to appear per the thread's contract with her, which runs through 2015

Now that is dangerous. Oh yeah - thanks.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:33 PM   #3951
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
I do think it was the correct decision for me and others, many I might add, think it's the correct decision for them so therein lies the problem...... for Mexico. My point.

Are you going to tell me that tourism is up in Mexico?
There are reports of tourism increasing in the major resort areas due to Europeans (mostly) taking advantage of some really good package deals due to the beating Mexico has taken in the US MSM. I guess our MSM fear-mongering isn't playing so well across the pond.

I would ask you, Joe, to consider that Mexico nay-sayers are airing such views on a thread that is heavy with decades-long Mexico travelers, expats and Mexican nationals, so maybe you'll excuse us for not responding to such posts as being relevant to anything. I mean, what are we supposed to do, set aside extensive personal first-hand experience down there in favor of your POV? The fact that "we" travel down there reflects an inherent ability to think for ourselves.

That said, I hope things do improve in Mexico and that you'll one day feel safe to go and enjoy the wonderfully rich culture and incredible riding experiences we love Mexico for.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:27 AM   #3952
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Hubbman, I think you are on the right track now to having fun.

RoadDust and I should be able to find lots of trouble but it will likely center around which range (mountain range not shooting range by the way) to ride through and what to order from the menu. The torta with jamon serrano will be one of the usual suspects.

Missing a trip through the Copper Canyon? Wild horses couldn't keep me away from seeing where my late father in law grew up as the only child of a single mother back in the 1920's.

Down here, some days you just can't see the narcos because all the culture keeps getting in the way and spoiling your view of the violence.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #3953
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
At this point, you can be satisfied with your decision not to go to Mexico
I already was but I am hopeful that things will change and I will be comfortable touring that beautiful country. I especially want to go to the Copper Canyon and see the Tarahumara before the modern world encroaches (ruins) on their wonderful heritage.
Have you guys read 'Born to Run' ? Great book I recommend it.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:19 AM   #3954
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^ Thanks for that book tip - just ordered it from Amazon.

I have three runners in the family that will devour that book.

Related to the Canyon/Tarahumara...I will be in Guachochi, in about 8 weeks....on the way back from Mazatlán/Durango

Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #3955
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
^ Thanks for that book tip - just ordered it from Amazon.

I have three runners in the family that will devour that book.

Related to the Canyon/Tarahumara...I will be in Guachochi, in about 8 weeks....on the way back from Mazatlán/Durango

Rather than beat upon the barely breathing horse I wish you all safety and good riding and yes I am jealous. There is in addition to my reluctance a good bit of pressure on the home front.

That being said, if you haven't read 'Born to Run' DO IT!!! even if you are not a runner. You'll thank me.

Joe Mc screwed with this post 08-19-2011 at 06:40 PM Reason: grammar correction
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #3956
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,884
I swear, I leave for 1 day through blood thirsty Mexico and deadly Belize and look at all I miss!

I am the idiot, but a link to the big news agenda of the “killed boss” in Vallarta would help us all understand why we should all be dead.

I visit Vallarta 5 times a year for biz, I have never encountered any danger and I am the nut job cruising from bar to bar at 3am.

Mike, you called it best “The good thing about Mexico is that you can pretty much do what you want.
The bad thing about Mexico is that you can pretty much do what you want." That is one of the reasons why I love Mexico. We are free in Mexico.

So, here I am sitting in Belize City, Hubbman would be hiding under the table right about now. Is this the part when someone will walk up and shoot me for no apparent reason? Should I be sitting somewhere safe in Miami or Detroit right now?

4 guys are playing cards next to me, laughing and carrying on. A few more are already drinking beer and smiles are all around. This place rocks.

If I open the newspaper it will tell me I should not be here, especially in the area I am in right now. Mexico is not the only casualty of news casting. The only imminent danger at this time is the tropical storm (may be a hurricane by tonight) that will be here by tomorrow.

Besides that? All is well in "danger-ville"

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:13 PM   #3957
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post

4 guys are playing cards next to me, laughing and carrying on.
Is one of them a midget?
If so I'll tell you the midget in the middle joke some time.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #3958
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,522
Quote:
Yes, I've posted this one before. Complaints can be filed on the little dot at the end of this sentence.

If would be dangerous for me cause if even 5% look close to like she does I couldn't take it.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty, and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #3959
MikeS
For sure let's do it

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
I already was but I am hopeful that things will change and I will be comfortable touring that beautiful country. I especially want to go to the Copper Canyon and see the Tarahumara before the modern world encroaches (ruins) on their wonderful heritage.
Have you guys read 'Born to Run' ? Great book I recommend it.
I respect why you don't want to go. You keep posting about this, so I don't understand why. If you really want to go, ride south from Presidio, TX through Chihuahua to Creel then in to the Canyon. I had your apprehension after earlier experiences at other border towns farther east. Absolutely no issues, no problems, no concerns from Presidio south. It's a very good route for safety. We took the free roads, which are very isolated. There's the toll road instead, with more traffic and better feel of safety. Creel feels like a northern US tourist town; Ely, MN comes to mind as a comparison for me. Batopalis and the Canyon was a great experience. I'm going again this winter/spring, with no hesitation.

Either put the trip out of your mind, or do it. Born to Run is a great book to have read prior to a trip to the Canyon. Very fun to see the places, terrain, and the people described in the book. The canyon is absolutely stunning, and I've ridden around North America a whole lot. Either do the ride and the experience, or put it out of your mind and stop talking about it.

Tarahumara at the bottom of the Canyon, who let us take a picture of him. Experiences like this are what it's all about, not the narcos, who I think I saw in a pickup or two. They were also polite, while meeting and passing on the canyon switchbacks:

And, looking through and enjoying my photos of that trip, here's another reason I'm glad I went. It's all about risk and reward, and I'm very glad I took the risk:

MikeS screwed with this post 08-21-2011 at 08:42 AM
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #3960
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Americans killed in Mexico in '11 down from '10

American Deaths in Mexico are way down in 2011. I've counted only 15 or so, compared to 80 US citizens killed in Mexico in 2010.

Over 100,000 American teens and young adults are reported to travel into Mexico yearly.

Over 200 Americans were killed in Mexico between 2004 and 2009. More non-military Americans died unnatural deaths in Mexico than in any other country from 2004 to 2009; an average of one dead American per week.

That has slowed dramatically and San Diegans rarely hear of Americans being killed in the Tijuana drug violence just across the border.

Grim statistics, but it appears things are looking up. The news of three Americans killed in San Miguel de Allende earler this year (in a 3-week period) was definitely disconcerting, but that's a very small percentage of the ex-pat Americans living there.

I may be returning to Baja soon. Most of my family have already taken day trips or overnight jaunts to Puerto Nuevo and Ensenada, though all of my friends and co-workers are still too afraid. We'll see. The posts of the others on this thread ae encouraging. Maybe next year.

American Deaths in Mexico Set Record Pace - Grendel Report
Oct 13, 2010 - American Deaths in Mexico Set Record Pace ... Last year, 80 homicides of U.S. citizens were reported in Mexico,

Four US Citizens Killed In Mexico
Nov 2, 2010 ... CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico - Four U.S. citizens were shot to death in separate attacks in the border city of Ciudad Juarez

5th US Citizen Killed in Mexico This Week | CNSnews.com
Nov 4, 2010 ... Killings of U.S. citizens are on the rise in Mexico, which has seen more than 28000 deaths so far in its bloody, 4-year-old war on organized

Six Americans killed in Mexico's drug war city | Reuters
Nov 4, 2010 - CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico (Reuters) - Gunmen have killed six U.S. citizens in ... The drug war death toll across Mexico now stands at more than 31000 since ...

The Fulano Files: US Citizen Killed In Tijuana
Dec 30, 2010 - US Citizen Killed In Tijuana · Link to article in the SDUT. ... Acejo was stabbed to death at his Tijuana apartment, Mexican authorities said Tuesday. ...

Ciudad Juarez, Mexico: Two US Citizens Among Three Teenage Boys ...
Feb 8, 2011 - CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico - Three teenage boys were shot to death in the Mexican border city of Ciudad Juarez, at least two of them U.S. citizens and high

US ICE Agent killed in Mexico at drug cartel roadblock - View From ...
Feb 16, 2011 - View From Baja Arizona - Just another Tucson Citizen weblog ... U.S. agent shot to death in Mexico is identified ?A U.S. immigration agent who was killed ...

Triumph Rocket III Touring, KTM 990 ADV
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote