ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #4036
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer
 
hugemoth's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: In the TARDIS
Oddometer: 2,622
I could use some advice on spending a couple weeks in Baja in November. Would be driving an old Toyota pickup with pop top camper towing an open trailer with 2 small dual sport bikes. It would be me and my 24 year old daughter who speaks OK Spanish after living in Peru for a year. We would like to camp cheap or free in the camper and do day rides. I'd appreciate suggestions on where to camp, where to explore on the bikes, and places to avoid.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #4037
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking View Post
Hey amigo, I'm so sorry to read some of your thoughts on this thread about Mexicans. Hopefully someday you'll roll the dice and ride south. My guess is you'll end up opening your mind on a lot of issues, social as well as political. You are correct though in that, like most Internet chatrooms, there are some overly forceful opinions dominating the discussion and that is not a good thing. It's easy to spot those trying to be the "Chatroom wiseman" and those jerks need to be taken with a grain of salt. You can also tell from reading ride reports who actually travels extensively in Mexico, sharing their experiences and those with a handful of day-rides sounding like experts. Pirate John has been around and is definitely one who you should listen to. (Once he calms down)

And it is not America bashing when posters compare some of the criminal activity in the US with the narco violence in Mexico. They are just trying to say that danger exists everywhere as does corruption. I for one, am a flag waving gung-ho gringo who, like so many other riders, have fallen in love with Mexico.
Well you must be misinterpreting what I'm saying. I have absolutely no problems with Mexicans or anyone else from that region and south. I grew up in San Jose surrounded by Mexicans, worked my whole life with Mexicans and people from SA. The one joke about Mexicans was a joke, identified by a smiley face and haha!, it was in reply to the gentleman from Wisconsin saying a Mexican stole my woman, which was damn funny. heheh

I think you guys in the southern states near the border see more racists type stuff towards Mexicans than we do here. I know SoCal is kinda weird about it, but in NorCal it's all normal, biz as usual. I and everyone I know don't think like that, and we don't care if a guy has a green card or not, that's not on our radar here. What I have seen on the news coming out of parts of Texas and Arizona is hardcore racist, but I don't live there and don't know what they are going thru, so I don't know what to think of it all, but it doesn't look right. looks racist as hell. It just seems like you guys jump on the racist accusations pretty quick.

I know John can be a hot head, been sitting back and watching it for awhile, that's why I ribbed him for sport. And yes America is a majorly screwed up place too, problem is Mexico is smaller and the problems are in a more compact area. And really the violence level is pretty intense and at a freakish level. Humans at their worst...

So anyway, I can wait, I will go when it looks like it will be fun "for me".
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #4038
Arte OP
Pata de Perro
 
Arte's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: McAllen TX, MEXICO
Oddometer: 1,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I'm more afraid of getting Hep "A" from those oysters than anything else in Mexico!!!
you do not have to worry about it,... this folklore is found only on Mexican Beaches, so you are safe.
__________________

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #4039
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikingviking View Post
Pirate John has been around and is definitely one who you should listen to. (Once he calms down)

.

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #4040
PirateJohn
Banned
 
PirateJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Uvalde, TX
Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
you do not have to worry about it,... this folklore is found only on Mexican Beaches, so you are safe.

Arte, isn't not just about Mexican oysters. Folks say the same thing about fresh, chilled oysters in the USA. In fact, in Florida and some other places (don't know about Texas) places that serve fresh chilled oysters have to post a huge warning sign.

God ... right now I would give my left leg to have about 18 oysters and beer.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #4041
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
John you have a motorcycle?? I've only seen your pics of you driving around the border area in a Rover. It made me think it was a good thing you didn't have tinted windows and chrome 22s on it or else you might get ID'd as something else than a tourist.....that could get you the 7.62 swiss cheese paint job. :)
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #4042
crashmaster
ow, my balls!
 
crashmaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Girdweed, AK
Oddometer: 5,004
Do whatever youre comfortable with Geezer. From my experience the probability of becoming a statistic in the narco war is still pretty remote, but higher than it once was. More incidents of course raise the probability that you will be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Still Mexico is safe enough for me. I understand not everyone has the same risk tolerance. I dont linger around border areas and I dont ride at night. That's a normal precaution in Mexico anytime. However, from what I have seen, the news media paints a overly sensational picture of the problems in Mexico. They paint a picture that the entire country is a 24/7 battlefield.

I use the usual precautions and have my radar on full time, but then I have always done that when traveling in Mexico so thats nothing new.

Bottom line, do what youre comfortable with because if youre not enjoying yourself you might as well be somewhere else.
__________________
Riding the Americas: No Fumar Español
_____________________________________________


crashmaster screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 05:20 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #4043
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
I could use some advice on spending a couple weeks in Baja in November. Would be driving an old Toyota pickup with pop top camper towing an open trailer with 2 small dual sport bikes. It would be me and my 24 year old daughter who speaks OK Spanish after living in Peru for a year. We would like to camp cheap or free in the camper and do day rides. I'd appreciate suggestions on where to camp, where to explore on the bikes, and places to avoid.
Be sure you get the latest changes to the TVIP policy as this will be essential to your plans. The changes involve the number of permits you can apply for and I don't know the details, only that there's been a change. Your post indicates you'll be 2 people needing 4 permits. Maybe you can find out and update us here.

I had a good experience at Hotel Serenidad near Mulege on the east coast. Great pig roast on Friday nights and private planes flying in, landing on a groomed section of beach. Nearby (south) is Bahia de Concepcion where the rode tracks the coastline and beach palapas are cheap. Good place to learn sea kayaking. North of Mulege is Bahia de los Angeles which is encircled by 9 islands and serves as a rest stop for large finback whales. The eerie sound of their breeching punctuates the night air as it echoes throughout the bay. Also, great lobsters to eat fresh from the bay. Mix leftover lobster with scrambled eggs for an unbelievably great breakfast.

Have fun trip planning!
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #4044
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Too bad it is the best! When I ask my wife if I can be with a Mexican woman she says take a bath you dirty Gringo (lava te Burro), then maybe you can get in bed.

I just dowsed my puro with my cerveza!!
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #4045
crashmaster
ow, my balls!
 
crashmaster's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Girdweed, AK
Oddometer: 5,004
Great camping all throughout Baja. The only area I would avoid camping outside of an organized campground is from south of Ensenada almost to San Quintin.

For doing day rides, you cant beat Campo Beluga at Gonzaga Bay. Camp at palapas right on the beach, they have cold fresh water showers and the Rancho Grande store is only a few miles away. Lots of great day rides out of there, some quite technical. For example, a day trip through the Calamajue wash and back up via Mex 1 to Coco's is a must do ride and not technical.



Here is a thread with some good camping spots. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297357
__________________
Riding the Americas: No Fumar Español
_____________________________________________


crashmaster screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 05:29 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #4046
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
I could use some advice on spending a couple weeks in Baja in November. Would be driving an old Toyota pickup with pop top camper towing an open trailer with 2 small dual sport bikes. It would be me and my 24 year old daughter who speaks OK Spanish after living in Peru for a year. We would like to camp cheap or free in the camper and do day rides. I'd appreciate suggestions on where to camp, where to explore on the bikes, and places to avoid.
You should be able to get 1 TVIP for the truck and get your bike listed on that, and a separate TVIP for the other bike.

A recent major change is the actual charge for the deposit on the vehicles. This can be cash or credit card but realize this is no longer a "test ping" on the credit card but an actual charge. Depending upon the age of the vehicles going on the TVIPs, this can be up to US $400 per vehicle for late model vehicles. You'll get cash back when you exit Mexico or a reversal on your credit card in a few days.

Like JD said, if/when you go through with this process with your setup, pls postup here to confirm/change/deny what I've posted above.

Edit: I have a sneaking suspicion that the truck and both bikes are titled in your name. This process will not work if you use titles. If you use registrations and at least one bike shows her information, you should be ok.

buena suerte

tricepilot screwed with this post 08-22-2011 at 05:37 PM
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #4047
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
God ... right now I would give my left leg to have about 18 beers and an oyster.
Fixed that for you John
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:56 PM   #4048
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,697
^^^


Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerStank View Post
John you have a motorcycle?? I've only seen your pics of you driving around the border area in a Rover. It made me think it was a good thing you didn't have tinted windows and chrome 22s on it or else you might get ID'd as something else than a tourist.....that could get you the 7.62 swiss cheese paint job. :)
I seem to remember chasing PJ around Reynosa and Nvo. Progresso one weekend. He couldn't exactly leave my Harley behind on that GS of his but, yes, he has a bike. Or two.

Hola PJ.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:59 PM   #4049
Colbycheese
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Colbycheese's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Land of FOID
Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerStank View Post
Well you must be misinterpreting what I'm saying. I have absolutely no problems with Mexicans or anyone else from that region and south. I grew up in San Jose surrounded by Mexicans, worked my whole life with Mexicans and people from SA. The one joke about Mexicans was a joke, identified by a smiley face and haha!, it was in reply to the gentleman from Wisconsin saying a Mexican stole my woman, which was damn funny. heheh

I think you guys in the southern states near the border see more racists type stuff towards Mexicans than we do here. I know SoCal is kinda weird about it, but in NorCal it's all normal, biz as usual. I and everyone I know don't think like that, and we don't care if a guy has a green card or not, that's not on our radar here. What I have seen on the news coming out of parts of Texas and Arizona is hardcore racist, but I don't live there and don't know what they are going thru, so I don't know what to think of it all, but it doesn't look right. looks racist as hell. It just seems like you guys jump on the racist accusations pretty quick.

I know John can be a hot head, been sitting back and watching it for awhile, that's why I ribbed him for sport. And yes America is a majorly screwed up place too, problem is Mexico is smaller and the problems are in a more compact area. And really the violence level is pretty intense and at a freakish level. Humans at their worst...

So anyway, I can wait, I will go when it looks like it will be fun "for me".

Glad you could see the humor in that, sometimes you can't accurately get the tone of a comment through reading


Hope that trip does work out. Sounds awesome! I've thought a lot about how cool it would be to tour through MX and Central America on a Ural hack. But I'm mechanically retarded so I doubt I could successfully handle the ummmm "maintenance" of a Ural on the road.
__________________
KLR685
DR350
Colbycheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:11 PM   #4050
GeezerStank
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Do whatever youre comfortable with Geezer. From my experience the probability of becoming a statistic in the narco war is still pretty remote, but higher than it once was. More incidents of course raise the probability that you will be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Still Mexico is safe enough for me. I understand not everyone has the same risk tolerance. I dont linger around border areas and I dont ride at night. That's a normal precaution in Mexico anytime. However, from what I have seen, the news media paints a overly sensational picture of the problems in Mexico. They paint a picture that the entire country is a 24/7 battlefield.

I use the usual precautions and have my radar on full time, but then I have always done that when traveling in Mexico so thats nothing new.

Bottom line, do what youre comfortable with because if youre not enjoying yourself you might as well be somewhere else.
I hear you, and I have agonized over this for the past year. Telling myself not to be a pussy and just go, but then I think about being on my fully loaded Ural and getting stopped at a phony road block and getting stripped of it all. I'm not a pussy, might do something stupid pissed off, then the bar gets raised and I get buried. I have friends that have literally rode the world, or most of it, they tell me to chill for a bit, that they wouldn't even go there now. I want to ride down, I have months and months to do it, I like to drink, whore around, and be out at night, according to all advice, even here, that's not a good idea, so why go down there. It doesn't fit my fun plan. I've been to Mex several times, but not on a bike, so I'm not familiar with the areas. I would map out the bad areas the best I could, but that's a pretty wide margin, basically a dumbass riding blind. I don't ride at night here, but that's because of the deer, been there done that, ouch.

I totally see where some of you guys are coming from, you are intimately familiar with Mexico on the "road", and I see how you would know what's up and feel comfortable. But that's why I get pissed when I see guys that aren't and they come here for info, and they get their ass kicked by multiple people. Not just by PJ, his name is so easy to remember I just dump on him, heheh! Maybe if his name was FluffyBunnyBiker or something it wouldn't always just come to mind, or maybe it would.

When the time comes, maybe the timing will be right to hook up with some veterans of Mex and I can ride a ways with them and get some in-country tips. Pretty much though you can tell what's bad no matter where you are by reading people's eyes.

You gotta admit that if you haven't ridden Mexico before, just flown in, it looks pretty hairy to the uninitiated! Although I'll ride thru places that are probably worse here in the states and feel fine about it because I'm familiar. 60 miles from here the big city has parts with a higher murder rate than Mex, I'd ride thru there and not think about it.

There's really no good answer at this point, like you all say, it's personal comfort level.

Hmm, weird how there can be intelligent good conversations sometimes, the bad ones here I blame all on FluffyBunny!

Well I got my to do's done, time for beer and bbq, I don't drink and drive, and I don't drink and post, see ya'll later......
GeezerStank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014