Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #4066
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Errr, uhmmm, hey PJ, you gotta RR for your 50CC??
http://web.bsu.edu/00amleduc/mtf/50cc/50ccridepj.htm
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #4067
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
You guys are killin' me.

Really. Tough crowd here these days.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #4068
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Geezer, quit being such a PUSSY and go to Mexico already! Yes there are a lot of nasty stories out there, but when you filter out what could or could not affect you, the odds aren't that bad. Look, you will never be fully comfortable traveling in Mexico, you just take it as it comes. Nobody really knows what the hell is going on here, not even Mexicans.

So yeah, Mexico is a little more dangerous than the US, but so what, that is part of adventure, jeez! If you can't handle it, for your next adventure, go across the suburb down to Taco Bell and get the fire hot sauce! That's why it is Adventure Riders not Moped Army!

I don't know much about Urals but for Mexico it sounds like an addional pain in the ass. I would take the DRZ, I think it's the perfect bike for traveling in Mexico.

I am not being a total dick, I am just jabbing you a bit. You know you needed this, so please don't come after me When you come down and I'll buy you the first cerveza and point you in the right direction for whoring around. Sorry I can't follow you down that road! I'm too scared for that.
I'll back you on that one, SR. You're NOT a total dick.

BTW, looks like da Geeze has already joined Moped Army. Isn't that him riding "sweep"?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #4069
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Thanks Schizz, I have to admit, I'm not that familiar with Urals, is that it at the end?
Just the sidecar as far as I can tell.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 08-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #4070
PirateJohn
Banned

Guys, he (maybe she because the style reminds me of my Least Favorite Old Stalker) is trolling us. Back to discussing Mexico.

Has anyone seen anything about Cuidad Acuna or Piedras Negras? My web surfing opportunities have been weak lately, but it appears that the Eagle Pass and Del Rio newspapers are pretty weak and I am not seeing any Mexican news.

Several years back Grup Modelo was supposed to build what would have been the world's largest brewery in either Cuidad Acuna or Piedras Negras but as I recall the project was stalled because they couldn't get a gas pipeline from the States. Anyone know the status of that project?

I am starting to make some plans to run down to Laredo for some motorhome maintenance and the crossing to Nuevo Laredo is right there downtown so I suppose that I'll at least take a walking tour of NL. Any developments there, other than the usual cartel mischief?
Old 08-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #4071
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,063
Damn ! I haven't been to NL in about 35 years.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #4072
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,421
You'll want to check out La Posada in Laredo, on the River, since the walking bridge to Mexico is right next door. Go in there and look around, even if you don't stay there.

It's one of the finest hotels in Texas and their pricing can't be beat. I stay there all the time transiting the border at Nuevo Laredo/Colombia Bridge.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:24 PM   #4073
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,997
not sure about baja regs, but more than likely the same as mainland as there is now new national regs (i'm assuming he's going to aduana and getting papers vrs just riding in w/o any like happens in northern baja and sonora free-zone).

in mexico you now cannot get a bike attached to a vehicle. my wife and i crossed after the june 17th national reg. changes with a car and bike in tow. bike is in my name and car is in hers. if i was alone, it would not work. those days are gone attaching a bike to vehicle permit, no exceptions. we each paid $300 on our CC (each in our own names) to enter. your name must be on the title you wish to bring in. i have both our names on the vehicle and the dr.

between that and the current no inmigrante rentista (former FM3) paperwork we are doing, mexico is now very price and exacting in the paperwork they need. i've heard this from other expats too, caulderon has revamped many things and the days of winging it are done. they need all the Ts crossed and i dotted. things are all moving over to computerized bar codes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
You should be able to get 1 TVIP for the truck and get your bike listed on that, and a separate TVIP for the other bike.

A recent major change is the actual charge for the deposit on the vehicles. This can be cash or credit card but realize this is no longer a "test ping" on the credit card but an actual charge. Depending upon the age of the vehicles going on the TVIPs, this can be up to US $400 per vehicle for late model vehicles. You'll get cash back when you exit Mexico or a reversal on your credit card in a few days.

Like JD said, if/when you go through with this process with your setup, pls postup here to confirm/change/deny what I've posted above.

Edit: I have a sneaking suspicion that the truck and both bikes are titled in your name. This process will not work if you use titles. If you use registrations and at least one bike shows her information, you should be ok.

buena suerte
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 08-23-2011 at 07:32 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #4074
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
not sure about baja regs, but more than likely the same as mainland as there is now new national regs (i'm assuming he's going to aduana and getting papers vrs just riding in w/o any like happens in northern baja and sonora free-zone).

in mexico you now cannot get a bike attached to a vehicle. my wife and i crossed after the june 17th national reg. changes with a car and bike in tow. bike is in my name and car is in hers. if i was alone, it would not work. those days are gone attaching a bike to vehicle permit, no exceptions. we each paid $300 on our CC (each in our own names) to enter. your name must be on the title you wish to bring in. i have both our names on the vehicle and the dr.

between that and the current no inmigrante rentista (former FM3) paperwork we are doing, mexico is now very price and exacting in the paperwork they need. i've heard this from other expats too, caulderon has revamped many things and the days of winging it are done. they need all the Ts crossed and i dotted. things are all moving over to computerized bar codes.
After the law changed I got a TVIP using registration in lieu of title so that still works. Thanks for the update.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #4075
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
things are all moving over to computerized bar codes.
Actually, some places read the stickers with a Palm organizer back in 2004 or 2006 or so.

Good info however, and that kinda sucks for us RV'ers. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2011, 05:27 AM   #4076
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
What sucks about it is that there are a lot of daily hassles for residents as not all the government departments are up to speed on all the changes. There is a lot of inconsistency still. Also, it's not the first plan of Calderon's that is half baked.
He also demanded all the cell phones be registered by your CURP identity number to cut down on telephoned extortion threats and fake kidnapping threats.
That was a complete disaster and was quietly swept under whatever rug was available in Los Pinos that doesn't have a large lump underneath it.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:54 AM   #4077
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
That was a complete disaster and was quietly swept under whatever rug was available in Los Pinos that doesn't have a large lump underneath it.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #4078
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot
Mexico is very much the same. For the exception of what happened 3 days ago in Veracruz you do not see random violence. We do not have people here going postal and shooting 30 people at McDonalds or in shopping malls. The people we see hanging from a bridge who were beheaded beforehand knew their killer intimately, they were co-workers.

http://www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php?zona=qroo&idSeccion=15&idTitulo=109308

There is no case, look at the pictures and pick out an American tourist, you will probably find Waldo first.

All these statistics on "Americans killed" are baseless. Do you have any idea how many people hold dual Citizenship? Many of my friends up North were born in the US and have dual Mexican/US passports. So for every person who is killed which holds a dual passport it makes them US Citizen casualty? I suppose, but we are not exactly talking about Mr & Mrs Smith going on vacation are we?
You claimed that "you simply do not see random violence". Nothing to do with Americans. You posted a link to make that point. The website has pictures of what looks like regular civilians hiding and ducking for cover at what looks like a stadium.
I stand by my statement, that website is not making your case for you.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #4079
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
What sucks about it is that there are a lot of daily hassles for residents as not all the government departments are up to speed on all the changes. There is a lot of inconsistency still. Also, it's not the first plan of Calderon's that is half baked.
He also demanded all the cell phones be registered by your CURP identity number to cut down on telephoned extortion threats and fake kidnapping threats.
I remember buying a phone when that first started. What a nightmare. Since I was a foreigner I had to ask a friend for his number to activate it that way. If they would do a better job taking the phones away from the folks in jail, they wouldn't have a problem. When I was living there, it was widely known that a huge majority of the extortion phone calls were fake, and coming from inside the prisons.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #4080
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Una cerveza por favor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Guys, he (maybe she because the style reminds me of my Least Favorite Old Stalker) is trolling us. Back to discussing Mexico.

Has anyone seen anything about Cuidad Acuna or Piedras Negras? My web surfing opportunities have been weak lately, but it appears that the Eagle Pass and Del Rio newspapers are pretty weak and I am not seeing any Mexican news.

Several years back Grup Modelo was supposed to build what would have been the world's largest brewery in either Cuidad Acuna or Piedras Negras but as I recall the project was stalled because they couldn't get a gas pipeline from the States. Anyone know the status of that project?

I am starting to make some plans to run down to Laredo for some motorhome maintenance and the crossing to Nuevo Laredo is right there downtown so I suppose that I'll at least take a walking tour of NL. Any developments there, other than the usual cartel mischief?
5 millones de hectolitros para exportar a los Estados Unidos
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote