Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #4201
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,058
Yep, those things are becoming the norm in many areas and are a pain.
I look for ones missing, or go around on the shoulder, or hit them as square on as possible.
In that order.
Sometimes, especially down here where it gets hot enough, a few weeks of overloaded truck traffic just squashes them into the pavement and they more or less disappear.
I wonder if they can do that with politicians?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #4202
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
I like this thread, bout once a week I spit coffee all over the puter outa my nose!!!!
The kind of clientele we like around here
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #4203
cdavisrosco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
headed to Mexico next month

Hi everybody,

My wife and I are taking two bikes through Mexico starting next month. We are leaving from our house in New Orleans, so I had planned to cross at Brownsville. Does anyone have any advice for a recommended route south from Brownsville? We're heading to Peru on a BMW 650X Country (mine) and a Yamaha XT250 (wife's). We have plenty of time for the trip as we're flying the bikes back from Peru in March and we don't need to arrive in Northern Peru until mid to late January.

Is Brownsville a good place to cross? What towns and cities would you recommend we try to pass through? And places to avoid?

Thanks!

Chris Davis
New Orleans, LA
cdavisrosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #4204
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,798
Chris,
I'll leave it to others for specific recommendations as I haven't gone down that way in a couple of years, but I really hope you'll post a RR about your trip. I am particularly interested in how the XT250 does. I have had 3 XT225's and have always thought the smaller bikes might be really good on the libre roads.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #4205
cdavisrosco
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Chris,
I'll leave it to others for specific recommendations as I haven't gone down that way in a couple of years, but I really hope you'll post a RR about your trip. I am particularly interested in how the XT250 does. I have had 3 XT225's and have always thought the smaller bikes might be really good on the libre roads.
Yeah, I really like my wife's bike. It's got a windscreen, 16 tooth front sprocket and mt90 tires (actually just posted a pic on the 'shortypants' thread under thumpers) and it cruises pretty well on most roads. Max speed so far is about 72 mph on the GPS but I wouldn't want to do it for hours on end.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #4206
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,852
The XT250 will do fine in Mexico, I have the 250 Lander which is the "Brazilian built" equivalent of the XT250 in Mexico. If you are planning to ride on the free highways you will not exceed 100kmph due to all the towns and topes. It is a very common bike, you will see many being ridden around.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #4207
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,058
Cross at Brownsville only if you are sure you can make Tampico in one day and in daylight.
Give yourself time for the border and banks and bureaucracy.
Slow and easy on the entry into Tampico and don't put up with any BS from the traffic cops there.

If you want you can PM me, I live in Veracruz.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #4208
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Cross at Brownsville only if you are sure you can make Tampico in one day and in daylight.
Give yourself time for the border and banks and bureaucracy.
Slow and easy on the entry into Tampico and don't put up with any BS from the traffic cops there.

If you want you can PM me, I live in Veracruz.
Last word on the problematic Tampico transitos is that they've all been replaced with military personnel.

Bato??

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #4209
cdavisrosco
Gnarly Adventurer

Since Tampico is 400 miles in and you recommend only crossing at Brownsville if we intend to make Tampico in a day, what other route would you recommend instead?

Would it be a better idea to cross at Reynosa? Is it best to skip through the Reynosa-Monterrey area pretty quickly?

Thanks for the helpful replies.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #4210
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Last word on the problematic Tampico transitos is that they've all been replaced with military personnel.

Bato??
That's too bad. I had some fun with those guys in the past.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #4211
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
that's too bad. I had some fun with those guys in the past.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #4212
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavisrosco View Post
My wife and I are taking two bikes through Mexico starting next month. We are leaving from our house in New Orleans, so I had planned to cross at Brownsville. Does anyone have any advice for a recommended route south from Brownsville? We're heading to Peru on a BMW 650X Country (mine) and a Yamaha XT250 (wife's). We have plenty of time for the trip as we're flying the bikes back from Peru in March and we don't need to arrive in Northern Peru until mid to late January.
I consider October the prime month in all the year to visit Mexico. With that, you may find interesting the following climate chart which will give you a general idea of her temperate zones:

You didn't mention a timeline, but if I were you I'd skip Reynosa/Brownsville unless I needed to make haste. I would cross at Nuevo Laredo and make for the highlands. You can do this by running west out of N'Orleans on I-10 and then catch I-35 S to Laredo in San Antonio.

This is a classic route that slices through the central avenue of the country:

Real de Catorce
Zacatecas
San Miguel
Guanajuato
Cuernavaca
Taxco
Oaxaca
San Cristóbal

These are 8 of the most beautiful cities not just in all of Mexico but in the world. A little reading up ahead of time on what each has to offer and you'll be more than absorbed.

I've been to Honduras in May and Peru in June of this year. While I love Central and South America, I think any time you spend lingering in Mexico will pay you grand dividends.

PS When you get to Peru, have a beer in Norton Rat's in Cusco, and put it on my tab.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:45 PM   #4213
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,798
Regarding the advice to get all the way to Tampico; that might be a haul with the smaller bike unless you cross the border real early, and it'll still be a haul. You could leave later and stop in Soto La Marina for the night. IIRC it's about 4 hours from Reynosa. That way you won't be rushed on you first day in Mexico.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:06 PM   #4214
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Seems like we've had some dissatisfied customers here lately. I have an idea. Trice, Schizzman and MikeMike have articulated the essence of this thread very well so perhaps Arte could edit his first post with these thoughts. Since I'm a guy and thus am opinionated I'm a 'gonna try to capture the points and send them to you, Arte, in an email for your consideration to possibly append to the first post.
Ok, I'm posting what I came up with here for the collective to edit and if Arte sees fit, he can paste it into the first post.

(1) Mexico is dearly loved by the regulars on this thread. It is a country of breathtaking beauty and friendly people who will enrich your life for having met them. There are, however, some bad hombres and mujeres in the mix and, obviously, only you can decide whether a trip into Mexico is right for you.
(2) Basic advice? Avoid riding at night and don't wander around in places your mom would not want you to be in, especially at night. Be respectful; don’t be a douche with an attitude. Watch out for loose livestock and topes.
(3) Although there is much to gain from going through the entire thread you may want to consider posting your question at the tail end to get up-to-date perspectives from the regulars here.
(4) Many of the regulars on this thread live in Mexico, have lived in Mexico or have crisscrossed Mexico from one end to the other and the thread also serves as a chat room of sorts while waiting for customers to drop by with questions. If you find this annoying, kindly go elsewhere. There are scads of sources on the web to find information on the Mexico “situation”.
(5) All are warmly welcomed to influence the direction of the thread so constructive comments and suggestions are appreciated. However, if you come here to complain or just kick dust in people’s face, kindly go elsewhere; not every thread on ADV will please everyone so go find one that pleases you.
(6) For best results, view this thread as you would a small town newspaper; some good stuff, some filler, some gossip, some trivia with a pretty darn good “ask the experts” column. There are semi-regular columns on motorcycles, Mexico roads & traffic norms, border crossing procedures, cigars, bbq, beer, and the appreciation of beauty, both natural and surgically enhanced.

Bienvenido!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #4215
cdavisrosco
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!

Thank you tricepilot! That is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. Can't wait.