ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 PM   #4216
JettPilot
Adventurer
 
JettPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 45
I have lived and ridden in South America, visited Columbia several times durring the dangerous years ( 2002 ), I am not one to be fearful and am willing to take some risks. I speak fluent spanish, and have always kept myself out of trouble by talking to locals getting good advice from them. I currently travel to Mexico a lot, the tourists cities inside the country, and find the mexican people to be very nice and friendly, much warmer than most people I meet here in the USA and have a great time ! I am a huge fan of the spanish culture and wonderful people.

That being said, I would NOT ride anywhere along the Mexican / US border. The Mexican government has lost control there, so much so that being a police cheif in many of the boarder towns is a death scentence. Imagine a country where unemployment is so high that any job is sought after, and yet they can hardly find anyone willing to take the relitively high paying job of Police Cheif. The amount of killings along the border makes this a more dangerous place than Iraq or Afghanistan ( Verified Statistics ). Bottom line, if someone, even one of the low level enforcers from one of the Drug Cartels want your bike, they will have no hesitation to kill you and take it. If they even suspect you are some kind of agent or law enforcement, they will kill you as a preventitive measure. They have no qualms about killing people in broad daylight in busy areas. This is the current situation, if someone rode there 5 or more years ago, its not the same place anymore... Old information on safety is worthless, everything has changed in the last 5 years. For those that have traveled by air to Cancun or other turists cities and say its safe, that is very true. The tourist cities is an entire world away from the border area, again totally worthless information.

IF I were going just accept the risks and to do a trip like this, I would cross the border at sunup, and get as far into mexico, and as far away from the volitile border area as I could get in one day. I would stay in tourists areas, or well traveled highways. Do research on places to avoid, certain areas of the border are much more dangerous than others. I beleive Baja to be one of the better places that I would probably go, but I would even research that before going. Also do your research once deep inside mexico to avoid Cartel controlled growing and production areas. Also read the article below.

http://www.carolenash.com/insidebike...expedition.htm

Just be smart, manage the risks the best you can, and have fun !

Mike
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #4217
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,712
Hola!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
I have lived and ridden in South America, visited Columbia several times durring the dangerous years ( 2002 ), I am not one to be fearful and am willing to take some risks. I speak fluent spanish, and have always kept myself out of trouble by talking to locals getting good advice from them. I currently travel to Mexico a lot, the tourists cities inside the country, and find the mexican people to be very nice and friendly, much warmer than most people I meet here in the USA and have a great time ! I am a huge fan of the spanish culture and wonderful people.

That being said, I would NOT ride anywhere along the Mexican / US border. The Mexican government has lost control there, so much so that being a police cheif in many of the boarder towns is a death scentence. Imagine a country where unemployment is so high that any job is sought after, and yet they can hardly find anyone willing to take the relitively high paying job of Police Cheif. The amount of killings along the border makes this a more dangerous place than Iraq or Afghanistan ( Verified Statistics ). Bottom line, if someone, even one of the low level enforcers from one of the Drug Cartels want your bike, they will have no hesitation to kill you and take it. If they even suspect you are some kind of agent or law enforcement, they will kill you as a preventitive measure. They have no qualms about killing people in broad daylight in busy areas. This is the current situation, if someone rode there 5 or more years ago, its not the same place anymore... Old information on safety is worthless, everything has changed in the last 5 years. For those that have traveled by air to Cancun or other turists cities and say its safe, that is very true. The tourist cities is an entire world away from the border area, again totally worthless information.

IF I were going just accept the risks and to do a trip like this, I would cross the border at sunup, and get as far into mexico, and as far away from the volitile border area as I could get in one day. I would stay in tourists areas, or well traveled highways. Do research on places to avoid, certain areas of the border are much more dangerous than others. I beleive Baja to be one of the better places that I would probably go, but I would even research that before going. Also do your research once deep inside mexico to avoid Cartel controlled growing and production areas. Also read the article below.

http://www.carolenash.com/insidebike...expedition.htm

Just be smart, manage the risks the best you can, and have fun !

Mike
Hi Mike,

There's a lot of experience and sound advice in your post and the border is certainly a region to clear without lingering along with hot spots to avoid entirely.

So far I've ridden about 4000 miles over 4 weeks (2 trips) this year with several trips last year and have found the risk factors to be completely manageable following your advice. This includes solo riding in known drug areas well inside the border region. Clearly there is crime of the kinds you describe in your post but I have yet to see any evidence of motorcycle travelers being targeted in any way. Somewhat the opposite, actually. Still, the diligence you describe in your post is well advised for all to follow.

The Nick Sanders expedition incident is one I've looked into extensively and concluded that it doesn't correspond to the risk profile of any other riders I know of. The bad guys appear to have targeted the support vehicle only and were able to monitor the group's progress via a well-publicized Spot site.

Thanks again for sharing your travel experience and wisdom.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:56 PM   #4218
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavisrosco View Post
Thank you tricepilot! That is exactly the kind of advice I was hoping for. Can't wait.
In addition, I invite you to stop and visit overnight at Casa Tricepilot to sit and sip and discuss all things Mexico and riding South. Many, many riders have stayed here and done this exact same thing.

We are perfecting the BBQ thing here: you have your choice of ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and sausage or any combo. Just let us know and we'll have a spread ready. You might want to get a relaxed start in New Orleans and make San Antonio an early evening stop for visiting, dining on BBQ, and discussing your trip. Then, you can leave in the am for Laredo, cross at the Colombia Bridge, and make Saltillo in the afternoon. On your second day in Mexico, you'll be easily in Real de Catorce and you might as well be in another world.

You can have a private room. Nellie is no longer around to greet Mexico riders, but we now have Jack, a Labradoodle.

Although, don't wait too long in October for I too am leaving for Mexico near the end of that month I am headed back to Durango and Mazatlán, both places I have been to several times before.

I find it very interesting that Peru is your turn-around point. I have been to South America before, but I find Peru to be of special interest. My time there a few months ago was very special. Chew the coca leaves there, with a touch of charcoal as the locals do. Failure to do so will mean the altitude will kick your butt. Coca leaves are legal in Peru, Bolivia, and Chile.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #4219
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Ok, I'm posting what I came up with here for the collective to edit and if Arte sees fit, he can paste it into the first post.


(1) Mexico is dearly loved by the regulars on this thread. It is a country of breathtaking beauty and friendly people who will enrich your life for having met them. There are, however, some bad hombres and mujeres in the mix and, obviously, only you can decide whether a trip into Mexico is right for you.
(2) Basic advice? Avoid riding at night and don't wander around in places your mom would not want you to be in, especially at night. Be respectful; don’t be a douche with an attitude. Watch out for loose livestock and topes.
(3) Although there is much to gain from going through the entire thread you may want to consider posting your question at the tail end to get up-to-date perspectives from the regulars here.
(4) Many of the regulars on this thread live in Mexico, have lived in Mexico or have crisscrossed Mexico from one end to the other and the thread also serves as a chat room of sorts while waiting for customers to drop by with questions. If you find this annoying, kindly go elsewhere. There are scads of sources on the web to find information on the Mexico “situation”.
(5) All are warmly welcomed to influence the direction of the thread so constructive comments and suggestions are appreciated. However, if you come here to complain or just kick dust in people’s face, kindly go elsewhere; not every thread on ADV will please everyone so go find one that pleases you.
(6) For best results, view this thread as you would a small town newspaper; some good stuff, some filler, some gossip, some trivia with a pretty darn good “ask the experts” column. There are semi-regular columns on motorcycles, Mexico roads & traffic norms, border crossing procedures, cigars, bbq, beer, and the appreciation of beauty, both natural and surgically enhanced.

Bienvenido!
This pretty much says it all. I can't say enough that the community interested in Mexico becomes tight-knit. The vast majority of folks who transit this thread, even the ones currently not inclined to go there, are at least in their own right adventurers. Everything in life is fluid and transitory. One day Mexico will be right for everyone interested in her. It doesn't have to be today.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #4220
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
I have lived and ridden in South America, visited Columbia several times durring the dangerous years ( 2002 ), I am not one to be fearful and am willing to take some risks. I speak fluent spanish, and have always kept myself out of trouble by talking to locals getting good advice from them. I currently travel to Mexico a lot, the tourists cities inside the country, and find the mexican people to be very nice and friendly, much warmer than most people I meet here in the USA and have a great time ! I am a huge fan of the spanish culture and wonderful people.

That being said, I would NOT ride anywhere along the Mexican / US border. ......
Just be smart, manage the risks the best you can, and have fun !

Mike
I truncated this quote because it's been quoted once already, but thanks to Mike for a very well stated and experienced view. And I agree completely.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:20 PM   #4221
WHYNOWTHEN
where are the pedals?
 
WHYNOWTHEN's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: closer to Baja
Oddometer: 562
Just got back from a little ride near tecate. Rode about 100 miles of single track while looking for bad guys. Didn't find
any. Met one very friendly guy in a remote canyon. Gave him some cigarettes and ride straight through his front yard. His name is Jerry, and he can point you to some great single track. Going back in a few weeks to continue our search.
__________________
where does that road go?
WHYNOWTHEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 AM   #4222
Bato
Studly Adventurer
 
Bato's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: TEJAS
Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavisrosco View Post
Hi everybody,

My wife and I are taking two bikes through Mexico starting next month. We are leaving from our house in New Orleans, so I had planned to cross at Brownsville. Does anyone have any advice for a recommended route south from Brownsville? We're heading to Peru on a BMW 650X Country (mine) and a Yamaha XT250 (wife's). We have plenty of time for the trip as we're flying the bikes back from Peru in March and we don't need to arrive in Northern Peru until mid to late January.

Is Brownsville a good place to cross? What towns and cities would you recommend we try to pass through? And places to avoid?

Thanks!

Chris Davis
New Orleans, LA
My recomendation many here may disagree 45 miles south of San Antonio on 35 after you pass MOORE TX there is the intersection of HWY 57 CROSS AT EAGLE PASS TX bridge 2 it's only 400 mi to Saltillo much quieter road less traffic good pav continue on HWY 57 until central MEXICO MY 2cts

View Larger Map
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:52 AM   #4223
Arte OP
Pata de Perro
 
Arte's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: McAllen TX, MEXICO
Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Ok, I'm posting what I came up with here for the collective to edit and if Arte sees fit, he can paste it into the first post.

Very good edit buddy,

will do it
__________________

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:07 AM   #4224
Arte OP
Pata de Perro
 
Arte's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: McAllen TX, MEXICO
Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
In addition, I invite you to stop and visit overnight at Casa Tricepilot to sit and sip and discuss all things Mexico and riding South. Many, many riders have stayed here and done this exact same thing.

We are perfecting the BBQ thing here: you have your choice of ribs, brisket, pulled pork, and sausage or any combo. Just let us know and we'll have a spread ready. You might want to get a relaxed start in New Orleans and make San Antonio an early evening stop for visiting, dining on BBQ, and discussing your trip. Then, you can leave in the am for Laredo, cross at the Colombia Bridge, and make Saltillo in the afternoon. On your second day in Mexico, you'll be easily in Real de Catorce and you might as well be in another world.

You can have a private room. Nellie is no longer around to greet Mexico riders, but we now have Jack, a Labradoodle.

Although, don't wait too long in October for I too am leaving for Mexico near the end of that month I am headed back to Durango and Mazatlán, both places I have been to several times before.

I find it very interesting that Peru is your turn-around point. I have been to South America before, but I find Peru to be of special interest. My time there a few months ago was very special. Chew the coca leaves there, with a touch of charcoal as the locals do. Failure to do so will mean the altitude will kick your butt. Coca leaves are legal in Peru, Bolivia, and Chile.

Cdavisrosco, the route that Tricepilot recommends to you is one of my favorites, I do as well recommend it, go for it!. And if you decide to cross by Reynosa, PM me. I have a small spare room to crash for the night for you and your wife. I have some tools in case needed and garage for two bikes.

I would like some time to go casa tricepilot to have one of his great BBQ time... eerr I mean to dicuss some about Mexico riding
__________________

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 AM   #4225
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso
 
tricepilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio
Oddometer: 8,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
I would like some time to go casa tricepilot to have one of his great BBQ time... eerr I mean to dicuss some about Mexico riding
A BBQ & parrillada either at my casa or in the Tejas Hill Country for the Reynosa boys and any interested Mexico riders seems in order
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #4226
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid
 
WeazyBuddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: RGV Texas
Oddometer: 4,318
I 'member talking about something like this last year. Perhaps a camp out at Koyote Ranch in the cooler weather, sit by the fire, BS, drink beer, ride to llano or some other place for some 'que.
__________________
A drunk driver killed someone I love
WeazyBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:43 AM   #4227
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
I 'member talking about something like this last year. Perhaps a camp out at Koyote Ranch in the cooler weather, sit by the fire, BS, drink beer, ride to llano or some other place for some 'que.
Hopefully we'll be past the burn bans in place throughout the Hill Country.
But even if not............"IN".
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #4228
Bato
Studly Adventurer
 
Bato's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: TEJAS
Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
A BBQ & parrillada either at my casa or in the Tejas Hill Country for the Reynosa boys and any interested Mexico riders seems in order

Bato's casa is open too, for the event but I wont be here from the 11 to 27 Sep would love to meet all the authorities here early October will be great
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #4229
jimmex
Rider
 
jimmex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: West Texas
Oddometer: 2,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
My recomendation many here may disagree 45 miles south of San Antonio on 35 after you pass MOORE TX there is the intersection of HWY 57 CROSS AT EAGLE PASS TX bridge 2 it's only 400 mi to Saltillo much quieter road less traffic good pav continue on HWY 57 until central MEXICO MY 2cts

View Larger Map
+1
This route allows you to get your TVIP done at the Allende station which is much more tranquilo than the border.
Jim
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #4230
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man
 
SchizzMan's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Austin, Tx.
Oddometer: 7,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
+1
This route allows you to get your TVIP done at the Allende station which is much more tranquilo than the border.
Jim
I'll do this route again. Very nice. Well, except for the dog.
__________________
'14 R1200GSA "Der WasserNoggin", '14 KTM 350 XCF-W (plated), '14 S1000RR-HP4

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014