Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #4456
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Arte, my Independence Day ride...Acocomotla, Puebla via La Gloria, Veracruz. 10,500ft at the pass and 54f. You guys are going to love this route. Xalapa-Perote-La Gloria, Veracruz-Gonzalez Ortega, Puebla-Maravillas-Saltillo Lafragua-Acocomotla-La Trinidad-Rafael Garcia-Patlanalan, Puebla-Teocelo, Veracruz-Xico-Coatepec-Xalapa-Boca Del Rio, Ver.

Cecina with picadas for breakfast $4 bucks along with coffee and a coke. Viva!
Can't wait for it! we are five riders, plans are to leave Oct 19, sleep at Pachuca, get to Veracruz next day. hope we can meet.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #4457
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Arte, my Independence Day ride...Acocomotla, Puebla via La Gloria, Veracruz. 10,500ft at the pass and 54f. You guys are going to love this route. Xalapa-Perote-La Gloria, Veracruz-Gonzalez Ortega, Puebla-Maravillas-Saltillo Lafragua-Acocomotla-La Trinidad-Rafael Garcia-Patlanalan, Puebla-Teocelo, Veracruz-Xico-Coatepec-Xalapa-Boca Del Rio, Ver.

Cecina with picadas for breakfast $4 bucks along with coffee and a coke. Viva!
nice...today i'm hung over from too much fun last night in Dolores Hidalgo for the grito.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #4458
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Actually we already had our first official cold front 2 weeks ago. Temperature dropped to a pleasant 80's, but just for a couple days. It was a weird thing here, since was kinda early. So hurricane season is almost over!!

http://www.kztv10.com/news/first-col...opical-update/
Funny, we were just talking about that last night after I posted that. Please send some of that cool air down here, we still have 2 of the worse hurricane months to deal with. Hurricane Wilma was at the end of October, anything can happen between now and then.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #4459
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
I have a friend who was robbed just outside of Monterrey on his way to Mexico City from Houston a couple of weeks ago. He hit a cow with his car and when they stopped a couple of jeeps with a bunch of guys with automatic weapons jumped out and surrounded them, took all their jewelry, watches, money. Mexico is beautiful and I love the people and culture, but I just don't think it's worth the risk to travel there right now. It's beyond my understanding why our country can be overthrowing governments on the other side of the world while largely ignoring a situation on our border that is completely out of control.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #4460
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,058
I have a friend who was robbed in the middle of the lobby of the FountaineBleau Hotel in Miami Beach in the middle of the afternoon. I don't know how anyone could visit a country that can overthrow governments on the opposite side of the world but can't keep their own citizens safe in a 5 star hotel.

I guess you have to hit a cow, first.

The "when they stopped" part of your story is interesting. They stopped AFTER hitting the cow, or WHEN they hit the cow? If they stopped after hitting the car and not when they hit the cow, why did they stop? Were they veterinarians and they could somehow save the cow?

I've been living here long enough to know that if you hit a cow in the middle of nowhere and your vehicle can still move and nobody (meaning farmers or campesinos etc...) were hurt, I would keep going until I got some place where it would actually help to stop. Yes, that means leaving an injured animal because what are you going to do? Strangle it to put it out of its misery? Monterrey isn't Montana, it's Monterrey and that calls for a slight adjustment in both culture and common sense. I guess maybe you could scare it to death with stories about traveling in Mexico.

Mexico, like Miami, or Madison, Wisconsin can be dangerous.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #4461
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,305
I have a friend who caught the clap in Panama City Beach on spring break
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #4462
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I have a friend who caught the clap in Panama City Beach on spring break
I hope a cow was some how not involved in that incident. Can the State Department issue a warning about an American state?
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #4463
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 357
I have a friend who owned a cow that was killed by some tourists. He thinks tourists are too dangerous to visit Mexico.

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Blind Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:05 PM   #4464
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
I have a friend who owned a cow that was killed by some tourists
Old 09-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #4465
LAZ 1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I've been to Mexico a few times myself ...

The closest I have personally come to anything bad happening was at a bustop, in Seattle, on my way to Seatac to catch the late night flight for my second trip into Mexico.... a gaggle of gang bangers came out of a bar [ red scarves/maps of Africa carved into their semi-shaved heads ] and started to hassle me. Washington is a carry state, and when I took up the appropriate stance, and gave them a stern look, they called me a faggot and left.

I did NOT call them back to correct their mis-assumptions about my sexual preferences.

The 16 weeks I spent wandering around in the Yucatan, Belize, and up next to the Guatamalan border that trip were simply sublime. Absolutely ZERO threats of any physical violence ... except for the Crocodiles? Alligators? down stream from my tent in the jungle. I went down there with $12,000 in travellers cheques, and I came back BROKE, but with one hell of a tan, and some great stories.

Canada Customs kept me in a little room for a couple of hours ... they were convinced I just HAD to be smuggling ... something? They were half right .... I'd picked up a passle of fake [ positively, absolutely FAKE ] pre-columbian art, but I'd traded almost all of it off or given it away to friends on the trip back.

So all I had was a tan,. a smile, the clothes on my back, some great memories, some fantastic stories and a new Cajun Fiance ... got back to the US in time for Mardi Gras, and N'Awlins really was a magical place pre Katrina.

Except for the time we wandered into the wrong district, and passed a bar where a colored gentleman was pissing outside the door way. He staggered back to the door, Hollered in "WHITE MEAT! WHITE MEAT!!" and our party of international tourists immediately took up jogging for our health. I wasn't all that worried 'cause my Cajun girl was a Deputy Sherrif, and was "packin" ...
but discretion truly is the better part of valor..

Best trip I EVER had in my life.

As for my first trip to Mexico,
WAYYYyyyyy back in '60s,
what I remember most is coming around a curve in our motoirhome, and staring into the barrel of a Browning .30 Cal water cooled machine gun on a tripod at about windshield height, with a couple of guys stranding in the road in front of us. GUYS ... just ordinary, scruffy lookin dudes ... with SUB-Machine guns.
So I stopped. And some more scruffy guys came up out of the ditch ... with M16s.

Now that WAS a bit scary!
So scary that all of my poor Spanish pretty well evaporated, and I couldn't understand what they wanted ..
UNTIL ...
one of the scruffiest dudes came up to the side door and explained,
in perfect Southern USA accented English,
that they were "alookin for drug dealers".
Which we clearly were not!
DEA/Federale hit team?
Perhaps,
but we were not on their menu.

So off we went, continuing on in our motorhome,
back to California,
after 12 weeks in Mexico REALLY craving a Big Mac.

I've wanderd down South a few more times since then. Last trip was last January. My wife had pre-ceded me by six weeks to attend a wedding [ Vancouver girl she knew was getting married to a Mexican guy]. We were seriously considering buying a house or a lot down there, like our friends did, but my wife had to cancel a couple of trips to some towns where her local pals told her even they didn't go.

We were also considering buying some land or a house in Arizona, like some of our other friends have done, but again we were warned by some people wiuth local expertise, that the Southern part of Arizona, close to the border, was simply "too hot."

So when we got back,
we bought a town house in french Creek, right here on Fantasy Island [ aka Vancouver Island, BC.]

Even here in Canada,
there are places that I don't feel comfortable in after dark.
Simple facts of life of our more complicated modern world..

We are still planning to go back to Mexico [ my brother and my sister in law spend nearly every summer there going everywhere in a camperised Toyota van. But this year, the next big vacation will probably be Australia and New Zealand. Australia by camper van, and New Zealand by bike.

Hopefully the deadly poisonous Australian snakes and/or the man eating crocodiles won't get us???
We'll just have to take our chances,
like we do every day wherever we are.

PS: I forgot about the BAJA COW ... or more precisely, the BIG Brahma bull that I encountered one romantic moonlit night on a motorcycle trip in the BAJA. They say not to ride at night, and THEY MEAN IT!!!
Mr bull was right around a blind corner, contentedly chewing his cud right in the middle of my road. Fortunately, I had upgraded my KLR brake line to SS, and I managed to stop without hitting him.

WE just stayed like that for a minute or so, me lookin' at Mr Bull, and him lookin' at me ... both of us seemingly a bit confused at what we had found on our road. Then I made the mistake of honking my horn at the bull, and he either took it as a challenge or an invitation to a litttle mating on this romantic moonlit evening, with this strange creature.
Either way, I discovered you could do a U-turn on a KLR in split seconds if really required.

ttfn
LAZ 1
[;{)

LAZ 1 screwed with this post 09-17-2011 at 03:10 PM
LAZ 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #4466
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZ 1 View Post
PS: I forgot about the BAJA COW ... or more precisely, the BIG Brahma bull that I encountered one romantic moonlit night on a motorcycle trip in the BAJA. They say not to ride at night, and THEY MEAN IT!!!
Mr bull was right around a blind corner, contentedly chewing his cud right in the middle of my road. Fortunately, I had upgraded my KLR brake line to SS, and I managed to stop without hitting him.

WE just stayed like that for a minute or so, me lookin' at Mr Bull, and him lookin' at me ... both of us seemingly a bit confused at what we had found on our road. Then I made the mistake of honking my horn at the bull, and he either took it as a challenge or an invitation to a litttle mating on this romantic moonlit evening, with this strange creature.
Either way, I discovered you could do a U-turn on a KLR in split seconds if really required.

ttfn
LAZ 1
[;{)
I know what you mean... me and cousins riding around Zacatecas

we did as well honked and yelled at him... he lowered his head, and we were just ready to drop the bikes and run, but he changed his mind and did let us thru.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #4467
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^ That post is just a bunch of bull
Old 09-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #4468
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,315
I think the main difference is culture and language. When you throw that in w/banditos it give a person a little more food for thought....pretty damn dangerous up here if ya ask me!
Old 09-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #4469
LAZ 1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
My bull had horns ...

as in LONG HORNS!!!
LAZ 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #4470
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,852
it is (emoticon apply named topes )