Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #4486
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Stealing a man's possessions while he relives himself is likely still punishable by some sort of near death experience by an impromptu kangaroo court.....
Yes! The offender is forced to sit inside a circle of kangaroos who have had too much to drink
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #4487
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,172

Quote:
Alternatively from Santa Veronica you can go east off the Compadre trail into some really nice single track that will spit you out on the main graded dirt road that runs form La Rumorosa to Laguna Hanson. Several very nice pine forest and sand routes will take you to the famous goat trail and down into Valle De Trinidad, where you can either continue on dirt to Mikes Sky Ranch,
Mikes Sky Ranch is a Baja legend and is a party spot for sure on weekends. If that's your thing, it's the spot. Alternatively, if you like something quieter, try Rancho El Coyote a little farther along but you should contact them first.

Quote:
Yet another very cool option is to head east on Mex 2 from Tecate, find the old Rumorosa road that drops down into Laguna Salada, then head to the hot springs at Cañon de Guadalupe. You will need at least a couple hundred mile fuel range to eventually find you way off of Laguna Salada. From time to time you can buy fuel at the little store at La Ventana, In which case you will want at least 160 mile range, but 200 is a safer bet. Watch out for very big and deep silt beds on the dry lake.
If you fuel up in La Rumerosa, it's much less than 200 to San Felipe. I made it this spring on my 950SE (albeit on a somewhat different route). The turnoff to the Old Rumerosa grade road is a mile or two east of the Pemex to the right of the blue (iirc) restrooms just before Hwy 2 turns into a toll road. In "Outer Darkness" I posted a .gpx track showing the route from Mexicali across Laguna Salada to Canon de Guadalupe and then on to La Ventana. The only tricky part is after you leave Canon de Guadalupe.

Quote:
You will need a good map like the Baja Almanac to find some of these routes, but others like the single track I mentioned, you will have to find on your own.
GPS programs are nice in that they show you where the main highways are relative to you. I use the Bicimapas program on a Garmin 476 and many of the dirt roads are shown.

Enjoy
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #4488
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
Alternatively, if you like something quieter, try Rancho El Coyote a little farther along but you should contact them first.

If you fuel up in La Rumerosa, it's much less than 200 to San Felipe. I made it this spring on my 950SE (albeit on a somewhat different route). Enjoy
+1 on El Coyote, I love that place.

Yeah, its much less than 200, but I figured if you got turned around leaving Guadalupe, and wandered around on the dry lake for a while, it would be nice to have the 200 miles if they didnt have gas at La Ventana.

crashmaster screwed with this post 09-18-2011 at 10:24 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 04:14 AM   #4489
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,121
Note to SR, I am still working on getting someone to deliver those mining videos to you.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #4490
SR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Note to SR, I am still working on getting someone to deliver those mining videos to you.
Okay thanks. I really need to get down your way some time with my bike. It sounds like great riding around there. The big bi-annual Mexican mining conference rotates between Veracruz and Acapulco. Unfortunately this year it's in Acapulco, in October. I really like Varacruz. Two years ago when I was there, I went to an interesting cigar shop down in the Centro called Tabacalera Veracruzana. It was a neat to see these old guys rolling the cigars by hand. Not a bad cigar either.

From the few times I have been there, I've noticed that the mariscos in Varecruz are 2 notches above any others that I have tried in Mexico. The menus there seem to be much more varied and more interesting than in inland Mexico and the Pacific Coast. Not just the Pescado a la Veracruzano, but all kinds of crab and squid and shellfish.
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:37 AM   #4491
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

I forgot about the rotation of the conference, you're right.
Yes, we do have seafood here, along with pretty much everything else you could eat, contemplate eating, watch someone else eat, swear you will never eat it, etc... The old slogan for the state was "The state that has it all" until the idiot governor Fidel Herrera changed it to "Pulsating with force" and who knows what the current bozo is going to call it.
Great place to live, but you have to suffer the politics! The current governor spent almost a million pesos on the "grito" and there were police and security at the event than actual citizens attending it (that was in Xalapa but it was the same in Veracruz and Boca Del Rio with few people showing up). The citizens in Xalapa were embarrassing the guy so much with their catcalls and such that they had to lower the mic volume as it was picking up more of the heckling than the actual "grito" of the "vivas" part. They bused in people from the colonias and they hung out for a little while and then most disappeared. Nothing worse than a Mexican politician who actually takes himself seriously.

On another note, the current environment in the urban areas is very tense, with almost daily shootings mostly in daylight.

As I have stated before, stay away from the urban areas and stick to the nice little towns in the rural areas like Naolinco, Catemaco, etc... There is more to see there, better and cheaper food, and friendlier people. I have been riding a lot lately in the sierras on the Veracruz - Puebla border, the Puebla side is great, very good roads, friendly folks, and no narco nonsense whatsoever in most of the areas around Guadalupe Victoria - Gonzalez Ortega - Francisco Madero - Quimixtlan etc...

The tenseness is also quite noticeable at the roadblocks and I was stopped and checked at each roadblock by either military or local or state police except for one during the last three days. Usually, you never get stopped and you certainly never had to show ID along with bike ownership (tarjeta de circulacion) and you never got a pat down nor your tankbag checked by 3 guys with their fingers on the triggers. The usual friendly and curious tone of the cops and soldiers has been replaced by curt and rapid orders and cautions to do exactly what they say and most don't speak much English and didn't like it when I switched to English to see what they could manage. Very different these days, but if you have your stuff in order you are good to go quickly as they usually have a few other pick ups, sporty Bora type VW's, and some other poor guy on a bike stopped and waiting in line. It's the ebb and flow of the violence here, things tense up and then calm down on a regular basis, it depends on whether you catch it on the ebb or the flow.

Will it keep me from riding?
Not likely! There is just something about some twisty mountain climbs with bright sunshine, great views, no traffic, and a belly full of chile rellenos (chipotle con picadillo de puerco y ligeremente encapeados) that cancels out the bad vibes at the roadblocks. LOL!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #4492
MCP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Good to know

gracias

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
I am much more comfortable in Mexico than in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras and Venezuela, and I have recently ridden through all of these places, FWIW.
MCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:34 PM   #4493
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Yes, we do have seafood here, along with pretty much everything else you could eat, contemplate eating, watch someone else eat, swear you will never eat it, etc... The old slogan for the state was "The state that has it all" until the idiot governor Fidel Herrera changed it to "Pulsating with force" and who knows what the current bozo is going to call it.
Great place to live, but you have to suffer the politics! The current governor spent almost a million pesos on the "grito" and there were police and security at the event than actual citizens attending it (that was in Xalapa but it was the same in Veracruz and Boca Del Rio with few people showing up). The citizens in Xalapa were embarrassing the guy so much with their catcalls and such that they had to lower the mic volume as it was picking up more of the heckling than the actual "grito" of the "vivas" part. They bused in people from the colonias and they hung out for a little while and then most disappeared. Nothing worse than a Mexican politician who actually takes himself seriously.
Looks like the cruzade (thru the social web pages) to sabotage the Grito Festivity did work in some way !!. same thing happend at Reynosa, Monterrey and other cities, very few people attended compared to past years. One little grain of sand to protest peacefully against the corrupt goverment.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:08 AM   #4494
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Arte you have a PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:42 AM   #4495
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,874
MikeMike,

The Veracruz news didn't look real good yesterday.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #4496
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

No, it sure wasn't!
You've got PM
Old 09-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #4497
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,367
I didn't get the memo, are we supposed to notify everyone when we send someone a PM?
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:20 PM   #4498
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Just in case they can't see the little counter in the upper right corner.
Hey, it happens!
Old 09-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #4499
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Yes, we do have seafood here, along with pretty much everything else you could eat, contemplate eating, watch someone else eat, swear you will never eat it, etc...

When I was in Santa Ana a few years ago either Arte or Andres ordered crusted redfish for everyone. I think they call that Veracruz style.

It was about the best damned fish that I have ever had.

Anyway, that made me a serious believer in your area's seafood.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #4500
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,965
35 bodies dumped on Mexican highway.

"Things are a little bit messy in Mexico." - Sec. of State Clinton

bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote