Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #4831
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otherguy View Post
It's been raining like a bastard here in Playa del Carmen for 5 days or so. I've been unable to strike sun poses on the beach. I'm loving my Renault Clio

No doubt about that! We will be soggy till Tuesday or Wednesday looks like, but after that we will all complain about the heat. Unfortunately the weather does not look any better all the way to Colombia!

This just in:

SURFACE OBSERVATIONS INDICATE THAT THE CENTER OF THE LARGE LOW
PRESSURE AREA NEAR THE YUCATAN PENINSULA IS NOT WELL DEFINED BUT
MAY BE REFORMING JUST TO THE EAST OF COZUMEL. THE LOW CONTINUES TO
PRODUCE WINDS TO NEAR TROPICAL STORM FORCE IN THE VICINITY OF THE
YUCATAN CHANNEL AND THE WESTERN STRAITS OF FLORIDA. ALTHOUGH THIS
SYSTEM IS LIKELY TO INTERACT WITH THE LAND MASS OF THE YUCATAN
PENINSULA DURING THE NEXT DAY OR SO...SOME GRADUAL DEVELOPMENT IS
POSSIBLE AS THE LOW MOVES SLOWLY NORTHWESTWARD. THIS SYSTEM HAS A
MEDIUM CHANCE...50 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING
THE NEXT 48 HOURS. REGARDLESS OF DEVELOPMENT...LOCALLY HEAVY
RAINFALL IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE OVER THE YUCATAN PENINSULA AND
WESTERN CUBA DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #4832
LAZ 1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
A short story about one of my trips to mexico....

Is Mexico "safe"?

Are you ever really "safe", even in your own home?

Have you ever heard of some one who slipped in the shower and broke his ... whatever?
So do you still take showers?

Or how about the TRUE story of the guy who slipped in a puddle of water from a leaky dishwasher, and killed himself when he fell on some knives? [ ever since I read that, ALL my knives go into the dishweasher pointy end down].

If we were the type of people who really wanted to be "safe",
why then we would probably not be owning a "MURDERCYCLE",
let alone riding along on two wheels,
often at great speeds,
actually looking for ...
?ADVENTURE?.

But instead,
here we are,
on ADVENTURE RIDER,
looking for advice on our next "Adventure".

And if you go to Mexico,
why then,
you just might get a bit more adventure than you planned for.

But hey,
isn't that why we fill out the organ donor forms??

Who wants to live forever and eventually die of boredom,
regretting all those chances we didn't take,
and all those "roads less travelled" we didn't ride?

Here is a true story of one adventure I had when in Mexico.

Is Mexico "safe"??
WELLLllll,
I know on that trip I literally BLEW MY MIND!!!
And I ain't been the same since.

14 weeks wandering around the Yucatan Penninsula, 1984.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

"Where have you been? I've been waiting for hours."

I was halfway to the top of the biggest pyramid in Coba, when this question crashed down from a clear blue sky, as profound and unexpected as a clap of thunder. It had taken 15 minutes of hard work to get me [and my rocks] this far up the Pyramid’s oversized steps. If I leaned back too quickly it would take only seconds to bounce us back down to the bottom again. The thirty pounds of rocks in my pack, along with the camping gear, clothing, and sundries that I usually carried, made for an awkward load and this was a VERY inconvenient place to stop and look up.

I cautiously leaned forward, clamped one hand onto one of the immense pyramid stones, and looked up. Waaaaaay up.

There she was ... a blond. Definitely a Gringa! Probably an American? And, just as definitely, I had never seen her before in my life.

I glanced around to both sides .... no one there. Behind me? ... Nope, no one there either. Could she be talking to me? OK, this WAS the exotic, mysterious, magical Yucatan, and anything could happen here. Nolo problemo, I'm cool. ‘Savoire faire’ is my middle name.

"I'm sorry." I called back, "I found a stack of English language paperbacks, and I was up till two A.M. reading them."

She blinked thoughtfully then solemnly asked "Are you into metaphysics?"

Oh oh, here we go. Just as solemnly I replied "Well, right now I'm mostly into getting to the top of this pyramid without puking, but I'll talk to you when I get there."

"OK" she said then she popped back behind the rim.

The theme music from the Twilight Zone tinkled merrily in my mind, but hey, I'm cool. And didn't I come here looking for adventure? And for answers? Well didn't I? So who cares if thousands of ancient Maya lost their hearts up there? Right! Who cares? That was then and this is now. Onwards and upwards.

The modern Maya are a short people – about five foot tall on average. The ancient Maya - so the archeologists and anthropologists tell us - weren't much different. Therefore, it was a genuine mystery to me why the ‘steps’ of their ancient and mysterious pyramid came up to about my waist? If these really were ‘steps on the stairway to heaven’, then they weren’t very practical ones. Or maybe they weren’t steps at all? Maybe they were more like bleachers, for watching their even more mysterious ball games. Did they really sacrifice the losers ... or was it the winners? ... after their version of the superbowl? For whatever reason, these steps were too damned big for easy stepping. Climbing them, especially with a back pack full of rocks, was like a session on some giant stairmaster from Hell.

Soon enough I staggered over the rim and there she was ... wrapped up in the lotus position on top of the Chac-mool. Now for those of you who weren't paying attention in Archeology 101, the Chac-mool is the actual altar - carved into the figure of a notably carnivorous God - where the actual hearts-cutting-out took place. Maybe she had slept through that class, or maybe, just maybe, she knew all about Chac and his bloodthirsty history, and simply didn't give a shit. Okay lady, you win! You are way cooler than me!

Panting a little - Hell! I'll be honest, panting a lot - I dropped my pack and my weary bod. I guess three months of snorkeling and surfing and backpacking around Belize isn't enough to condition one for the Olympic Pyramid Climbing [ with rocks ] event.

She was watching me carefully. When I had my wind back she unwound from the lotus and jumped down off old Chac. She walked over, squatted down in front of me, looked deep into my eyes, and asked "Does the name Michael Trotter mean anything to you?"

Well actually yes, it does sound a bit familiar. "Is he a writer?" I asked back.

"No ... he is a Shaman and a teacher in Colorado".

"Oh" I riposted wittily.

She stood up, walked back to her pack, and said "I've got something for you."

Not to be out done, I reached into my pack, unwrapped one of my rocks, and told her "Well hey I've got something for you too."

For the first time during this particular episode of the Twilight Zone she looked disconcerted, maybe even surprised. One point for me, but I've got a long ways to go to catch up.

Now these rocks are just a little bit special. Otherwise why would I be crazy enough to haul them around the sweltering jungle and up pyramids? The Garcia sisters are REAL Maya. English and Spanish are O.K. with them, but back home they talk Kekchi. And ‘back home’ is way off in the sticks, near the Guatemalan border. I met the Garcias through Carla, a sweet archeologist lady who took a shine to me. When Carla asked if I wanted to see something special in the jungle, of course I accepted. The first stop on our itinerary was the Garcia hut.

I am definitely no expert, but when I saw all those rocks strewn haphazardly about the place - propped up against the walls, on the table, etc. - I really thought they were authentic pre-Columbian artifacts. Had the Garcias found them out there in the jungle? But if they were authentic, they were invaluable. Much too valuable in any case to be casually lying about in a grass hut.

Carla flashed me a bright, mischievous smile and asked "So what do you think?"

"Are they real Maya?" I asked.

"Oh they are ‘REAL’ Maya all right." my trained archeologist friend said, smiling even brighter than before. "The sisters make them, to supplement their income."

Then she showed me the books - the beautiful archeology books - full of pictures. It seemed my new friend Carla was a women's libber, and a bit of a shit disturber, and her idea of a good time was teaching genuine Maya ladies how to manufacture genuine Maya artifacts for greedy and gullible tourists. Since it is ABSOLUTELY illegal for tourists to smuggle pre-Columbian artifacts out of Belize, no one felt the least bit guilty about letting them 'take advantage' of the poor, ‘ignorant’ peasant girls’. We all had a good laugh about that.

"How much?" I asked.

"For you? About $10.00 US each."

"How much for the whole lot?"

There was a lot of giggling and smiling, and then some more smiling and giggling, but eventually I convinced the sisters I was serious. $80.00 US for thirty pounds of ‘genuine Mayan’ rocks seemed like a good idea at the time. And here, on top of Coba’s mountain of mystery, my Shirley Maclaine wannabe seemed genuinely impressed by the 'real Mayan' rendition of Corn God that fate and I had just placed in her hand. Corn God was captured forever in slate, doing whatever inscrutable things Corn God does, and he looked great.

"Here, this is for you" she proclaimed, as she handed me a small, paper wrapped package.

"Are you sure you've got the right guy?" I asked as I took it..

"OF COURSE I'M SURE!" she replied emphatically.

"Come on" I said "I’ll bet you've been up here all morning waiting for some Gringo to come along so you could blow his mind."

She looked at me as if I was the weird one here instead of her, and quietly but firmly stated, "No, I'm sure!"

Nobody can accuse me of hiding behind the door when opportunity knocks, so I took the package and unwrapped the hand made, sage scented paper, and read the note inside. And, things haven’t been quite the same since.

"Go to the temple and look left.
KNOW that person knows me.
Give him my precious gift,

and bring back what he gives you."
And that is all he wrote.

She had her eyes fixed on my face, waiting for something I guess.

And me? I was peering around warily trying to spot the candid camera. Well, whatever was in the package, it was heavy. Under that special paper was some kind of a leaf, wrapped around ... something?

"It's aloe-vera … for purifying" she murmured.

Off came the leaf, and there it was. Beautiful! Compelling! Mysterious!

Hey with all that build up, it had to be. Didn’t it?

But later, even much muchlater, I still find it beautiful. Compelling ... mysterious ...
and ... magical?

Five inches long, square cut, with pyramid facets at each end. Pure deep Purple Amethyst. Almost flawless except for a smoky white curl that runs through the one side. One tiny chip off one end. It is heavier than it looks. Heavier than it should be by the simple laws of physics and nature. It also gets hot when certain people hold it. Much hotter than normal body temperature. Doesn’t happen for everyone, and not every time, but some times it gets HOT when you hold it! Way hotter than science says it should get. Uncomfortably hot! And the uncomfortable part isn’t all due to the temperature either.

A few weeks after I got it, back in New Orleans for Mardi Gras, I was showing it around at the youth hostel and I had this blond hippy guy ask to hold it. He did a few deep breaths, his eyelids fluttered up, and he went into some sort of a trance. Then he started to vibrate, almost like an epileptic fit. When the hippy woke up a few minutes later, he was the one who told me I should cleanse that crystal. Right now!.

Some bad MOJO lurking inside that thing, man!”

Until I cleansed it by soaking it overnight in salt water held in a copper bowl, I was having the weirdest dreams. Dreams full of blood! And cruelty! And death! Not that weird dreams full of blood and cruelty and death are any stranger to me … but these didn’t seem like MY weird dreams. After the cleansing, things ratcheted down a few notches, and my dreams were pretty well back to normal/weird. At least as normal/weird as my dreams ever were before.

Do you believe in magic?

I didn't always, but these days ...
yes these days ...
I do.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
LAZ 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #4833
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,523
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZ 1 View Post
...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Just when you think there's hope. Let's get TFNG outta here!

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #4834
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Just when you think there's hope. Let's get TFNG outta here!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #4835
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

^ Mike, you have a Candygram

(A nod to the, apparently, new tradition of posting up in the thread for all to see, the fact that one has sent a private message to another inmate)
Old 10-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #4836
Tucson Jim
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Give him my precious gift,

so does that mean you boinked her?

The only decision you have to make is what to do with the time you have been given

'07 Vulcan 1500 FI
Tucson Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #4837
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucson Jim View Post

so does that mean you boinked her?
And does sex on a pyramid last longer?

Inquiring minds want to know.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #4838
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZ 1 View Post
Is Mexico "safe"?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Too long, didn't read (but maybe I will tomorrow)

Welcome to everyone's asylum, welcome.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #4839
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
And does sex on a pyramid last longer?
Candygram sent
Old 10-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #4840
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
Too long, didn't read
de acuerdo padre
Old 10-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #4841
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
Uh-oh.

Someone's talking rocks while SR is in the house.

So you can meet chics on the pyramids? When I went to the pyramid at Tula, all I saw was a guard with a gun, some nut trying to soak up mystical rays or something, and four giant statues with wearing assless chaps. The statues must have been the ancient priests of Harleycoatl, the chromed serpent.

As usual, I went to the wrong pyramid.

Or maybe I should've grabbed some peyote up in Real de 14.

Hey Trice, I think I'm going to send you a PM.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #4842
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Nice entertaining story LAZ, but I'll bet you a bottle of Don Julio that the specific gravity of that chunk of Amethyst is right around 2.64 g/cm3, just like all quartz, and I am positive it wont get unnaturally hot when I touch it!

Was this guy and unemployed Geophysicist?
Is that Don Julio stuff any good?
Old 10-16-2011, 07:49 PM   #4843
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post

Harleycoatl, the chromed serpent.
Good one!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 10-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #4844
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Candygram sent
Yeah. And there's a land shark at my front door.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #4845
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Bob, unless you are being sarcastic? Don Julio is excellent! It's kind of expensive, about 500 pesos for a smallish square bottle. That's why I was trying to win a bottle off of LAZ 1. Don Julio is a very nice smooth Tequila with an almost a citrusy taste. It is not too dark and smoky but not too clear and flavorless either. I like to sip it on the rocks with slice of lime in hand!
I bought a bottle last year in H De Parral on my way home. I got stopped in a massive military check stop just south of Agua Prieta. The military guys looked in both saddlebags and then wanted me to unpack a large duffle bag I had strapped to the seat. I told the soldier , who spoke perfect english, that it would be a big pain in the ass to unpack the duffle and proceeded to tell him everything that was in there including a bottle of Tequila. He asked me what brand. I said Don Julio. He replied that I was a man of good taste

I never was quite sure whether or not he was being sarcastic. I enjoyed the Don Julio Reposado very much and will buy more on my annual trip this winter. I'm not worried " is Mexico Safe"