Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 05:12 PM   #5011
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Mc View Post
Note to tricepilot; If you ever get to CT again PM me. I'll fill you full of (real) Italian food that you can't get in TX
I go twice a year to the Redding/Bethel/Danbury/Newtown area
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #5012
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,589
Joe-

Anytime between now and march is a great time to NOT be up north!

See if you can find a buddy to ride down, or it can certainly be done alone. Plenty of places to see if you don't want to run the canyon alone. If going alone, a basic knowledge of spanish would be very helpful- especially numbers.

I've done it alone. Listen to what Sjoerd says- he's spot on. Get the good insurance too, with road assistance and 'extraction' just in case something does go wrong. (see real-life example above....)

Chances are, lots of things will go right. Very right. And, I imagine that they will have a fair amount of respect for an 'elder' gringo exploring their country.

I've got a DVD 'Motorcycle Mexico' (co-starring some guy named Sjoerd Bakker) with good Noob info. PM me if you'd like to borrow it.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #5013
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Lost Passport Photo:

As a public service, I offer this travel assistance to Mexico...If you lose your passport, this photo of Mayte Carranco can be copied and submitted to the US Consulate as an emergency passport photo.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #5014
MikeS
For sure let's do it

Oddometer: 748
[QUOTE=Joe Mc;17231315]I'm 68 and in good health and if I wait...and wait...and wait I'll run out of time./QUOTE]
Joe

I encourage you to go. At 62, I rode to Bato and MX first time last January, although with three other riders. I received a lot of encouragement from this thread, and I'm glad I went. Will head south again this March. Great place to visit and ride.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #5015
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I go twice a year to the Redding/Bethel/Danbury/Newtown area
If I am in town while you are here in CT I'll invite you down to the New Haven area. If it is summer I'll throw in a boat ride. I appreciated and saved all of your (and others) great info for the 'trip' I never took.
Joe Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #5016
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Do it Joe, NOW!
Leave the wimps at home, you can have a great trip to CC by yourself. Ive done nearly all of my motorcycle trips through Mexico just by myself, survived quite nicely. Even with the KLR down to Batopilas it is not a problem solo.
Travelling solo just requires that you know and stay within your limits. Don't do anything silly just because it looks easy or macho.Think trough the potential mishaps if you face a questionable hazard . Me for instance, I can't swim and I hate wet feet so I refuse to do any water traverses with the bike if it is deeper than just below the axles or if it is running fast and steep.Don't need that excitement (glug gluG). Read the roads or tracks and if the trail gets too wild and dangerous there is no shame in turning around.If you can be happy riding only pavement and gravel roads ,,,,.... well, there is no limt to where you can go. Mind your manners, go slow, keep the rubberside down and have fun.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Joe-

Anytime between now and march is a great time to NOT be up north!

See if you can find a buddy to ride down, or it can certainly be done alone. Plenty of places to see if you don't want to run the canyon alone. If going alone, a basic knowledge of spanish would be very helpful- especially numbers.

I've done it alone. Listen to what Sjoerd says- he's spot on. Get the good insurance too, with road assistance and 'extraction' just in case something does go wrong. (see real-life example above....)

Chances are, lots of things will go right. Very right. And, I imagine that they will have a fair amount of respect for an 'elder' gringo exploring their country.

I've got a DVD 'Motorcycle Mexico' (co-starring some guy named Sjoerd Bakker) with good Noob info. PM me if you'd like to borrow it.
Thank you I may take you up on that offer.

[QUOTE=MikeS;17233200]
Quote:
I'm 68 and in good health and if I wait...and wait...and wait I'll run out of time./QUOTE]
Joe

I encourage you to go. At 62, I rode to Bato and MX first time last January, although with three other riders. I received a lot of encouragement from this thread, and I'm glad I went. Will head south again this March. Great place to visit and ride.
Thank you also.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:07 PM   #5017
Joe Mc
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Amigo, I'm more than 10 years younger than you and we are all running out of time

Mazatlan is about the neatest tropical city that I have ever been in, and I encourage you to do your trip ASAP.

Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
If MiValeMadre is any indication then you should have at least another 10 years to get it done.

I recommend riding CC in a group of 3 or more in case you biff or break down though some ride it solo.

Every spring several groups of Advriders head out for Copper Canyon. Just watch the trip-planning threads and ask to join in the fun.
Didn't mean to leave you guys out. Thank you both.

I ride a softail custom......does that make a difference?

No, I don't intend to ride it( the Harley) to Batopilas. My intention was to rent a truck from Three Amigos for that portion of the trip.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:14 AM   #5018
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Win a Harley!

Correctly answer where this was filmed, win my Harley Fatboy - I'm getting rid of it!

Old 11-05-2011, 04:20 AM   #5019
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
If I am in town while you are here in CT I'll invite you down to the New Haven area. If it is summer I'll throw in a boat ride. I appreciated and saved all of your (and others) great info for the 'trip' I never took.
I'll throw in a side trip to Frank Pepe's or Sally's, whichever you prefer
Old 11-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #5020
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Didn't mean to leave you guys out. Thank you both.

I ride a softail custom......does that make a difference?

Mostly that you'll be more stylish than those of us that ride big on/off road bikes.

Seriously, Schizz is the expert here since he started his Mexican travels on a Harley and has recently joined the Team of Darkness, a/k/a BMW.

There are also a few others here that ride Harleys.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:59 AM   #5021
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
......he started his Mexican travels on a Harley and has recently joined the Team of Darkness, a/k/a BMW.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #5022
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Correctly answer where this was filmed, win my Harley Fatboy - I'm getting rid of it!

Never been there but it looks like ........JUAREZ
Bato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #5023
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Never been there but it looks like ........JUAREZ
I don't really know, honestly....but you can HAVE the Harley anyway, that is if you come over before I ride it to Austin today to trade it in on a new Triumph
Old 11-05-2011, 07:16 AM   #5024
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,589
If you don't go to Mexico, you won't get to ride this road.

This was from east to west on the Espinoza, at a slower more leisurely (ie safer?) pace. No trucks in this video, but there is a rice-racer car, that did stay on the correct side of the yellow lines.

I do have video that is a bit more exciting, from the west to east run from Mazatlan.

mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #5025
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
I don't really know, honestly....but you can HAVE the Harley anyway, that is if you come over before I ride it to Austin today to trade it in on a new Triumph
You are kidding me? ...Still too early, but i can be there before noon with my leathers on!
Bato is online now   Reply With Quote