Old 11-18-2011, 05:13 AM   #5147
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Want To Go To Baja For a Month???

I was thinking of leaving after Christmas, but that is too far off! I am thinking a day or two after Thanksgiving and be home before Xmas? Riding the old KLR, taking camping gear, but won't necessarily camp every night. First trip to Baja. I want to cover most of the peninsula, but not any single track or deep sand on this trip. I plan to stick to pavement and gravel, gravel being better than pavement! I will enter and leave in the correction Calexico area. I will ride from Mississippi.

Anyone want to go? Any advise? Places to go? Places not to go?

Donnie
let's go and see CABO PULMON before it's gone
PM sent

Bato screwed with this post 11-18-2011 at 05:18 AM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #5148
WakeDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
B17

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I know it's not the same, but very similar.

Enola Gay at the Air & Space Museum outside Washington D.C.
WakeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:54 AM   #5149
WakeDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
If every woman was this understanding the world would be a different place.

-Alex
WakeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #5150
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,351
Tourist Visa For Baja

Do I understand correctly that a Tourist Visa is necessary for Baja, but not a Vehicle Importation as long as the visit is to the peninsula only? How is the crossing in the Calexico area? I can't find my last vehicle registration from renewing my tag, I have the one from the year before and a clear Title. Does it make any difference since there will be no importation? Does the registration trump the title on a road search?
dwj - Donnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #5151
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Do I understand correctly that a Tourist Visa is necessary for Baja, but not a Vehicle Importation as long as the visit is to the peninsula only? How is the crossing in the Calexico area? I can't find my last vehicle registration from renewing my tag, I have the one from the year before and a clear Title. Does it make any difference since there will be no importation? Does the registration trump the title on a road search?
From the Bajabound website:

It is important to note that in the case of Baja California even though you can take your vehicle to the end of the peninsula without a vehicle permit you must have a tourist card if you plan to travel south of Maneadero.

Baja Tourist Permit Info Here

Baja Vehicle Permit Info Here

Contrary to some opinions you are not required to carry your title in Mexico nor is it required to obtain a TVIP as long as you have a valid registration.

For Baja Mexico you will need your driver's license, your registration (in lieu of title), minimum Mexico liability insurance (recommended but not legally required), and a tourist card if traveling as described above. You can easily obtain a replacement registration at your local DMV if your original is lost.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #5152
AndersAroundTheWorld
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Mexico to Guatamala - What's the latest gossip?

Hi Guys
I am sitting in Austin preparing to enter Mexico tomorrow or Sunday, but have planned nothing yet. I have been asking people as I have gotten closer to the boarder about the best place to cross and what NOT to do. I have done 18000 miles so far from Denmark thru Russia, Siberia and north america and are very much looking forward to Latin america.

However I know it can be dangerous, so can you please advise where you'd cross and maybe even a possible route south to Guatamala. I know most people have not problems but I'd like to hear it from you guys how I should approach mexico. I speak some spanish and got through russia with 20 words in Russian so I am not to worried about that part.

I have read Jeff Muns' pdf, but are looking for some up to date info.

What's the better option in your eyes?
1. Ride south along the coast or in the center of the country?
2. Enter at Laredo or Brownsville ...or a third place?
3. I will not ride at dark, I stocked up on parts and plan to bring a cover for my KTM 990 adventure.... anything else I should now about Mexico?
Hope you got time to help a very excited Mexico newbiee...

Mexico will become my 11th episode of "Anders Around The World" when I get to editing all my photage.

If you wanna see more from my ride you can get the latest updates on http://www.facebook.com/andersaroundtheworld
AndersAroundTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #5153
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
For Baja Mexico you will need your driver's license, your registration (in lieu of title), minimum Mexico liability insurance (recommended but not legally required), and a tourist card if traveling as described above. You can easily obtain a replacement registration at your local DMV if your original is lost.

In deference to Trice (who is my Amigo and never wrong ) let me add that insurance with a motorcycle is a gray area. The authorities won't ask and don't care unless you have an accident, and then there is the possibility of your insurance posting a bond for potential damages.

#1. Not all insurance policies promise to post a bond. So if you buy keep that in mind.

#2. Even the Mexican insurance agencies don't push insurance for motorcycles because there is the perception that you can't do that much damage with a bike. After all, it's unlikely that you will destroy yards upon yards of guard rail (yes, if you damage the highway then you are potentially liable) with a motorcycle.

Yup ... it is possible that you could run into 7 nuns at a crosswalk but that's highly unlikely. Since most motorcycle accidents involve a solitary splat at an unmarked corner with no shoulder that someone didn't make the authorities don't usually care about insurance.

Moral of the story is that I don't buy insurance when I motorcycle in Mexico, but then again I am more likely to enjoy/tolerate a stay with a Mexican jailors' family (where the low risk prisoners go) than most traveling gringos.

Your mileage may vary, but I wouldn't get too tense about buying insurance if you are riding a motorcycle.

PirateJohn screwed with this post 11-18-2011 at 05:14 PM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #5154
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,135
Insurance will save your butt from being very long in custody with the amparo clause if it is so equipped.
It will get you a bilingual lawyer. It is up to you, but if you are at fault you are going to wish you had it.
How good the legal help is, is likely a crap shoot. But not having to spend more than a day locked up
can make all the difference in the world.
My 2 cents on that, I have insurance and I live here, and I will never go without it. A lot of local riders carry none at all.

As far as routing goes, if you come down the coast to Tampico and then farther south to Veracruz, I will be around if you want some help or need anything. Just PM me. If you are heading to Guatemala, connect with Guaterider on this BB.
Julio will likely be very, very helpful to you as far as info goes and pretty much anything else.

If you opt for the coast route, it has been quiet lately in both Tamaulipas and Veracruz, and there is a definite increased military prescence.

Weather is calling for another north wind storm to come through about next Wednesday or so, and you could encounter some rain. The road is not too bad, repairs are underway in some sections. Give yourself a few days for riding in the mountains in Veracruz and sampling the food in both Puebla and Veracruz. From here you will be very well set up to head to Oaxaca and then into Guatemala via Chiapas. Contact Greg for more info, he did it all several weeks ago. Go to www.gregsadventure.com and send him a message.

If you need KTM things, you are going to have more success in Mexico City and maybe on the west coast.
Whichever border crossing you choose, get it done early and book on through as far south as you can on your first day. Acapulco has been particularly difficult as far as narco stuff goes, lately but outside of urban areas, you are going to really enjoy Mexico. Ask Greg, he'll tell you.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #5155
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Insurance will save your butt from being very long in custody with the amparo clause if it is so equipped.
It will get you a bilingual lawyer. It is up to you, but if you are at fault you are going to wish you had it.
How good the legal help is, is likely a crap shoot. But not having to spend more than a day locked up
can make all the difference in the world.
My 2 cents on that, I have insurance and I live here, and I will never go without it. A lot of local riders carry none at all.
This.

And to clarify, when I said "minimum Mexican liability insurance.....", I meant "at minimum, get at least Mexico liability insurance"

I'm not going to unearth the myriad of stories I and others have told here and in ride reports about our own and other motocyclists accidents and brushes with the Mexican legal system.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #5156
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersAroundTheWorld View Post
What's the better option in your eyes?
1. Ride south along the coast or in the center of the country?
2. Enter at Laredo or Brownsville ...or a third place?
3. I will not ride at dark, I stocked up on parts and plan to bring a cover for my KTM 990 adventure.... anything else I should now about Mexico?
Hope you got time to help a very excited Mexico newbiee...

Mexico will become my 11th episode of "Anders Around The World" when I get to editing all my photage.
I haven't yet dug into your links but will do so.

I would either cross at Eagle Pass/Piedras Negras and dive south to Matehuala and go see Real de Catorce and further south to the Golden Triangle of Mexico:

Or coast it by connecting with MikeMike in Veracruz and asking him to show you the very beautiful namesake Mexican state he lives in.

Sjoerd also maps out great rides here and there are many others with equally and most often times better plans than my own.

Either way, your most important asset is your camera because if you don't take pics of it we won't believe you that it ever happened.

Suerte and go and have a great time.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #5157
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersAroundTheWorld View Post
I am sitting in Austin preparing to enter Mexico tomorrow or Sunday, but have planned nothing yet.
Ok, I have scanned your video with the automated Thread Babe Detector and have discovered this:

Will she be going with you to Mexico, and if so, since you live only 50 minutes from my house, would you be willing to stop by so I can meet her, er, I mean you, and wish you luck on your journey in person.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #5158
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,371
Tricepilot,
You are incorrigible.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #5159
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,910
Never hurts to ask.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #5160
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,371
Anders,
I would cross at Piedras Negras and go down to Allende (about 25mi) for tourist visa and TVIP. From there I would stay in Monclova provided you get an early start, then go to Matehuala and check out Real de 14 which is about an hour from Matehaula. From there I would look to cross over to the Sierra Oriental and ride the mountains all the way down to Veracruz. This is extraordinarily beautiful country and riding. From Veracruz, I would go to Oaxaca w/o a doubt. From there I would swing down and check out Palenque then San Cristobal de las Casas, then cross into Guatemala Highlands. My 2 centavos. Suerte. Jim
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote