User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #5161
jimmex
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,996
Anders,
I would cross at Piedras Negras and go down to Allende (about 25mi) for tourist visa and TVIP. From there I would stay in Monclova provided you get an early start, then go to Matehuala and check out Real de 14 which is about an hour from Matehaula. From there I would look to cross over to the Sierra Oriental and ride the mountains all the way down to Veracruz. This is extraordinarily beautiful country and riding. From Veracruz, I would go to Oaxaca w/o a doubt. From there I would swing down and check out Palenque then San Cristobal de las Casas, then cross into Guatemala Highlands. My 2 centavos. Suerte. Jim
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #5162
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,807
^ That solves the Tamaulipas equation
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #5163
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,078
Wink

Hola Anders!!

Always have time for a traveler like yourself!

I just happen to be near the Mexican border tomorrow (Sat) and am available to assist you with your crossing at either Piedras Negras or Acuna. Can meet you mid-day Sat in Bracketville, Tx., and proceed to Acuna for the night. Get your papers Sat or Sun and send you south for your journey. Del Rio/Acuna will work well for your plans and Bato will likely join us. He's originally from Monclova, Mx.

Both Trice and Jimmex have offered solid input on routing and insurance and others will likely pitch in with good routing options as well. Real de Catorce is worthwhile and cutting across the Sierra Gorda to hook up with MikeMike in Veracruz is recommended.

Will PM you my cell number so you can text or call me. Try texting first.

JD

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:49 AM   #5164
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,789
The proverbial sht hit the fan narco wise last night through the north to the central part of the state of Veracruz, so that means things are going to be safer this weekend and week most likely. Tuxpan, Xalapa/Coatepec, and Veracruz were all busy.
Remember! Monday is a holiday here and there are big sales happening all over the Republic as Calderon has instituted the "Buen Fin" program encouraging nationwide sales for consumers so there will be some more traffic on the roads as those from outlying rural areas will be heading towards the urban areas for the bargains.
Don't forget, Monday is a national holiday, travel will be heavy at the toll booths in the afternoons.

Depending on your time schedule you can drop down here pretty quick and be into some very good mountain riding within 2 days, or you can take it easy through that "golden" area and then also hit the mountains down here and with all of that plus the local food you will feel like you won't want to leave.

Don't forget to look up Guaterider.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 AM   #5165
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersAroundTheWorld View Post
Hi Guys
I am sitting in Austin preparing to enter Mexico tomorrow or Sunday, but have planned nothing yet. I have been asking people as I have gotten closer to the boarder about the best place to cross and what NOT to do. I have done 18000 miles so far from Denmark thru Russia, Siberia and north america and are very much looking forward to Latin america.

However I know it can be dangerous, so can you please advise where you'd cross and maybe even a possible route south to Guatamala. I know most people have not problems but I'd like to hear it from you guys how I should approach mexico. I speak some spanish and got through russia with 20 words in Russian so I am not to worried about that part.

I have read Jeff Muns' pdf, but are looking for some up to date info.

What's the better option in your eyes?
1. Ride south along the coast or in the center of the country?
2. Enter at Laredo or Brownsville ...or a third place?
3. I will not ride at dark, I stocked up on parts and plan to bring a cover for my KTM 990 adventure.... anything else I should now about Mexico?
Hope you got time to help a very excited Mexico newbiee...

Mexico will become my 11th episode of "Anders Around The World" when I get to editing all my photage.

If you wanna see more from my ride you can get the latest updates on http://www.facebook.com/andersaroundtheworld

Everyone is saying to cross at Laredo or Piedras Negras and I'd agree. There hasn't been much verifiable happening around San Fernando (due south of Reynosa) for the last several months but if I were you I'd err on the side of caution and enter somewhere other than Reynosa or Matamoros.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:25 AM   #5166
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The proverbial sht hit the fan narco wise last night through the north to the central part of the state of Veracruz, so that means things are going to be safer this weekend and week most likely. Tuxpan, Xalapa/Coatepec, and Veracruz were all busy.

Not seeing anything obvious on Borderland Beat, Mike. Got any more details?
Old 11-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #5167
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Borderland Beat are always a few steps behind the beat. It is more from an American perspective and is a little slow so I wouldn't rely on it for any real useful information as far as personal security goes.
The best source was the old narcoviolencia punto com but it's gone.
Blog del narco was always a strong second and it is still up and running.

Go here http://www.mundonarco.com/search/lab...max-results=10
It is graphic but truthful. If you go to the home page you can then click on any zone of the Mexican Republic and get the latest news within a few hours of it happening. Things have been active here since last Wednesday and it really got hot towards the weekend. A little slower today, no drama with the usual 20th of November parades and gatherings, and tomorrow is a national holiday. Borderland Beat is nowhere near as fast as these guys are and nowhere near as complete, though it will give you things in English. This one is all in Spanish but you'll figure out numbers and places very quick.

I don't recommend anyone participate actively on these types of websites while in Mexico, they will keep you informed but participating on the tweet parts is not recommended with what has been happening.

MikeMike screwed with this post 11-20-2011 at 02:10 PM
Old 11-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #5168
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 7,807
El día de Acción de Gracias

In other words, Thanksgiving day

Hope everyone is shaping up for a good one.

Any central Texas inmates or inmates traveling through on their way to or from Mexico with no plans at the moment are welcome at Casa Tricepilot. Tricewife always puts on a good meal with plenty of pies.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #5169
Bionicflite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Is Mexico safe

Just returned from the Pont Rocky rally in Peutro Penasco...only a few hours from the US

I had a near miss with a pick up truck loosing its junk in its box and ended up riding over some metal frame that slashed my Hiedeneau K-60.

With all the insurance and back up plans I had no one answered...24hr emergency my ass.
I am just lucky the tire held.
Attached Images

Bionicflite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:35 AM   #5170
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionicflite View Post
Just returned from the Pont Rocky rally in Peutro Penasco...only a few hours from the US

I had a near miss with a pick up truck loosing its junk in its box and ended up riding over some metal frame that slashed my Hiedeneau K-60.

With all the insurance and back up plans I had no one answered...24hr emergency my ass.
I am just lucky the tire held.
Good job riding through that mess!

Who was the insurance through?

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #5171
PirateJohn
Banned

Nasty tire damage ... glad that you are OK.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #5172
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
Anders , so many roads ... so little time... assuming that this is a once in a very long time transit of Mexico and you want to pack in the most possible.
Your entry is by now history and you may be around Matehuala/Real de 14 by now.
After you get done with the triangle trice suggested you could pack in some neat mountain riding through the Sierra Gorda if from San.Miguel de Allende you make your way east to Mex 57 and pick up the road from S.Jose Iturbide east or from S Luis de la Paz to Sta Catarina and on to Penamiller.
At Penamiller take the road south out of town, gravel and a shallow creek crossing after 5km then great asphalt but lots of rockfalls and donkeys, down to Toliman and Bernal with its scenic singular mountain.Then a choice of going a few km east to hit Mex 120 and going south to S.juan del Rio and the r ide along Mex 57 & 45 & 85 to Pachuca OR to north to do the rest of the Sierra Gorda all the way to Jalpan and then to Xilitla ( t he Englishman's fanasy castle) and then Mex 85 near Aquismon and then south to Tamazunchale and more MOUNTAIN riding!
At Tamazunchale you have another hard choice though - you could head east and then pick up Mex 105 south which is also a beautiful mountain and highway starts of as green forest and turns to cactus country , then back to high forest country , and eventually Pachuca.
From Pachuca it is a quick trip to see Teotihuacan pyramids and you can avoid all of Mexico city , just find one of the great roads to Puebla , the city via Tepeyahualco (huge old aqueduct )Cd.Sahagun, Tlaxco and Apizaco.
See Puebla and Cholula
Now it gets very bad....... still really tough choices as to how to get to Oaxaca with many great scenic roads .For instance
... Mex 150 to Tehuacan then Mex 131 into the mountains and join Mex 190 for a short bit to Oaxaca
... Mex 150 down to Orizaba and Cordoba then Mex 145 to Tuxtepec and then Mex 175 south into Mts Mts Mts thru Valle Nacional
...or all the way to Veracruz the city , a visit with Mike , and then the coast route Mex 180 to Alvarado and then pick up Mex 175 the same one.
If it is a crisp clear early morning on the beach dunes north of Alvarado you can look in the NW direction , before the daily haze sets in, you can see the snow capped Pico de Orizaba and hear the surf at your back.

If you want a bit of a challenge then take Mex 150 -145 147 south east past Tuxtepec and turn south on 179 ( past Playa Vicente exit ) This road is paved till well into the mts , but still had a tough unpaved short segment in the highest bit . It does rain here very regularly so unpaved roads get slimy and difficult, but old busses make it soo.... Then it is excellent pavement from 20km north of Totontepec ( hotel) and thru the beautiful Sierra Mixte ( a p.s. here as I forgot to mention a visit to Hierve el Agua at this point which is an interesting "waterfall" of accreted cold water mineral deposits )down to Mitla and then 45 km to Oaxaca city\ There , you now have enough great roads and scenic stops along the way to keep you happy for a month ... or more.

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 11-22-2011 at 12:20 PM
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 AM   #5173
jimmex
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,996
^^ Very nice...making me want to go even more than usual.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #5174
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

+1 to Sjoerd
If you are coming through, go from Puebla up to Alchichica and take the right turn before the Pemex and follow that road towards La Gloria, but instead take the left turn right at the state line of Veracruz-Puebla and head to Gonzalez Ortega, from there, go to Maravillas and then down towards Guadalupe Victoria but turn up towards Saltillo La Fragua instead.
From Saltillo you can then head up to the peak and either head to Acocomotla or Francisco Madero. If you opt for Acocomotla take the little road at the bridge that goes to La Trinidad and then take a right and head towards Rafael J. Garcia and if you opt for Francisco Madero you will be on the route to Rafael J. Garcia. When you get to the Pemex on the way to Quimixtlan you can decide to go to Quimixtlan and then on the tough and routh dirt road to reach Huatusco and then on to Fortin and Cordoba/Orizaba or you can head to Patlanalan and the laguna and then on to the Ixhuacan route but go right to get to Teocelo and then Xico and then Coatepec and then Xalapa.
Think of it as the long way!
The Roji is severely lacking in accuracy on that particular route! Even Google earth is not totally up to date as the excellent roads from Maravillas to the Saltillo turn and Saltillo to the main road to the summit and the Acocomotla route have all been paved.
And let's toast to the highway engineers of Puebla!
Old 11-22-2011, 11:03 AM   #5175
Parcero
Mundial

Oddometer: 520
I'll be heading into Mexico next week on my way to Panama. I'll post any safety related info on that and this thread.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote