Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #5206
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,919
Take your time once you hit Veracruz, no rush.
Spend two days in the mountains and then head south to Oaxaca via Tlacotalpan or go via Tehuacan.
You'll be glad you did.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:35 AM   #5207
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Pavo (not polvo)

Guajolote

Totole

It means we're talkin' turkey, amigos

Feliz Día de Acción de Gracias

The absolutely worst turkey dinner I ever had was a Christmas dinner in Merida.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:42 AM   #5208
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
In Germany once I ordered a steak. It came to the table thin and tasted like crap.

Only later did I realize I ordered liver.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #5209
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,166
My friend once ordered veal on the beach at Playa Azul....
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #5210
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
From the Queretaro airport exit on MX57D (around km marker 192) drive 63-65 miles towards Mexico City to pick up the "Arco Norte" to Puebla. The exit is a well marked cloverleaf intersection. Follow the sign for "Tula Cuota 40D". The exit is past km marker 92 heading south. This is the best way to Puebla if you want to completely avoid The City. Passes near Teotihuacan as well.

Check out Cholula while you're there.
+1

Acro Norte is expensive but its perfect beautiful asphalt with hardly any traffic. I was able to run 110 mph+ for extended periods of time without issue. If you want fast, take the Arco Norte.

That day I went from San Cristobal to Zacatecas all on cuotas in a very long day, but I was really, really moving. IIRC I paid about $250 USD in tolls that day. I was just trying to make miles, which was unfortunate because I had to get back to work. Otherwise I would still be in Mexico.

crashmaster screwed with this post 11-24-2011 at 10:11 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:55 PM   #5211
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Vintage Bike ADV'r

ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #5212
ChangoGS
Banned

Oddometer: 305
Vintage bike Adv'r

ChangoGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #5213
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Some years ago I purchased a couple huge Turkeys (frozen) for the Family Christmas dinner at Zacatecas, and sent them From Matamoros to Zacatecas with an uncle whom use to work driving a Passenger Bus with national route, his route was from Matamoros - Cd Juarez - Zacatecas.
Long story short, he forgot about the turkeys and one week later he was wondering of a strange ugly smell on his bus.....

Relatives were anxiously waiting for those huge pavos I promised them.... that Christmas dinner ended with Pollo Loco !! not bad at all

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:07 PM   #5214
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Take your time once you hit Veracruz, no rush.
Spend two days in the mountains and then head south to Oaxaca via Tlacotalpan or go via Tehuacan.
You'll be glad you did.
The last time I was in Veracruz diving (SCUBA, not cliffs), I felt safe. Not anymore; the killings have reached epic proportions. The dead include women and men and kids. Old, young, criminals, innocent.

Nowhere else in the world that I know of can you find the kind of horrible slaughter as in Mexico It's on such a scale, that even Mexicans are leaving.

Mexico is a beautiful country, but it is a war zone. Drugs, dead bodies and gangs have replaced tourism.

It's reached areas that previously hadn't seen such bloodshed. But alas, the areas once known as safe are no longer so.

Sounds like some of the guys on this thread have been lucky so far. Some, not all.

Is Mexico safe? No.

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #5215
Arte OP
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
The last time I was in Veracruz diving (SCUBA, not cliffs), I felt safe. Not anymore; the killings have reached epic proportions. The dead include women and men and kids. Old, young, criminals, innocent.

Nowhere else in the world that I know of can you find the kind of horrible slaughter as in Mexico It's on such a scale, that even Mexicans are leaving.

Mexico is a beautiful country, but it is a war zone. Drugs, dead bodies and gangs have replaced tourism.

It's reached areas that previously hadn't seen such bloodshed. But alas, the areas once known as safe are no longer so.

Sounds like some of the guys on this thread have been lucky so far. Some, not all.

Is Mexico safe? No.
You are right about that.... unfortunately, those innocent victims were tied directly to the Bad Guys involved on the narco deals... and unfortunately they paid the price of a debt not incurred by them.. So sad but is well known that dirty business are the same all over the world. Bottom line the killings are not random, get into dirty busines... expect the worst for your family. The bad thing is the media news does not talks clear about this.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:11 PM   #5216
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Relatives were anxiously waiting for those huge pavos I promised them.... that Christmas dinner ended with Pollo Loco !! not bad at all
Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #5217
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,165
Original Pollo Loco was the best. I remember the one in Reynosa with a huge wood burning grill. Mmmm.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #5218
Dan Diego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
You are right about that.... unfortunately, those innocent victims were tied directly to the Bad Guys involved on the narco deals... and unfortunately they paid the price of a debt not incurred by them.. So sad but is well known that dirty business are the same all over the world. Bottom line the killings are not random, get into dirty busines... expect the worst for your family. The bad thing is the media news does not talks clear about this.
That's right. The 50 corpses that they just dropped on some busy streets in Veracruz appeared to have been related to the drug trade.

In Tijuana and Rosarito, the cartels make no distinction. We've had some ugly things happen in the middle of busy restaurants. It's just crazy in Mexico right now.

And the worse thing? If you get cut up and killed in Mexico, he crime won't be solved; the police are worrying more about protecting their own heads than finding out who kidnapped and decapitted a tourist...and I don't blame them.

I love the country and know that I'll be returning when it cleans up this mess.

I LOVE Pollo Loco!

When I finished high school, I wanted to take all my graduation money and buy myself a motorcycle. But my mom said no. See, she had a brother who died in a horrible motorcycle accident when he was 18. And I could just have his motorcycle.
Dan Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #5219
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Original Pollo Loco was the best. I remember the one in Reynosa with a huge wood burning grill. Mmmm.
At my house we have Polvo Loco
Old 11-26-2011, 04:44 AM   #5220
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diego View Post
That's right. The 50 corpses that they just dropped on some busy streets in Veracruz appeared to have been related to the drug trade.
Don, do everyone a favour and only talk about things you really know something about.
They didn't "just" drop the bodies. The first dumping was on September 20th, more than two months ago and there was another problem where they found other bodies in homes in different parts of the city, and later issues where they found bodies dumped here and there throughout the city. I live less than a kilometer from where the September 20th dump happened. I live a few blocks from where other problems have occurred. You live in San Diego, California which is a few thousand miles away and reading stuff from the American news. I had a good time yesterday helping out a rider on his way to Argentina and he could care less about the narco stuff because he knows it won't affect him, nor did it affect another rider who came through shortly after the original mass dumping. I think you need to actually come here and ride here and understand what is really going on.
I have only heard of two instances that concerned the safety of ADV riders in Mexico in the past two years. Both occurred under somewhat odd circumstances. Neither of those cases was widely reported in any form of national news in the US nor here in Mexico. I think you might be overreacting a little, just like the US State Department has.
Just my 2 centavos on the whole thing.
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote